Chicken Breast and Ground Beef

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

alek

Chicken Breast and Ground Beef

Post by alek » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:56 pm

I eat a lot of boneless, skinless chicken breast and ground beef because I buy a lot of it when it's on sale at the grocery store.

Lately, for the chicken, I cut the breasts in half as if you'd fill it with stuffing and put back together sandwich style. I liberally salt and pepper both sides and sautee in olive oil on just over medium heat for about 4 minutes a side. It goes really well this way with just about anything, and it stays tender and juicy. Plus the nice pepper flavor sticks well with reheatings.

For the ground beef, I've done a lot of chili and man with two small children spaghetti with meat sauce.

What are your recent favorites?

Manveer
M3N4C3

Re: Chicken Breast and Ground Beef

Post by Manveer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Chicken breast: sous vide with salt and pepper, put some olive oil in the bag.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:04 am

Meatloaf, ground beef Italian style meatballs, pork meatballs with ginger and soy glaze (which you could certainly do with beef), hamburgers (add a clove or two of chopped garlic), if I'm feeling ambitious I'll do some oven roasted sliced onions as a burger topper or a quick cheese sauce.

Chicken breasts - marinate with olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, grill. Cut into chunks, skewer on kebabs with mushrooms, onions, peppers, marinate in Italian dressing, grill. This recipe originally from Blue Apron is absolutely delicious and we make it every week or two, sometimes simplified a bit for ingredients on hand: https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/middl ... i-dressing

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:07 am

Chicken wise I'm digging on vinegar based BBQ... which is unusual for me.

Beef wise it's hot so it's always burger weather... burgers tonight actually...

I'm due for another restock of chicken breasts. I buy them 120lbs at a time for about $1.50/lb. I have to do the extra work of trimming them but in the end I get 120lbs of fresh chicken, for cheaper than the price of that salt-water pumped frozen crap...

Viola

Post by Viola » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:42 pm

Doesn't anyone eat pork? Hubby is allergic to chicken so we eat a lot of it.

Pork marinated for at least 15min in lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic, dried oregano, salt. I usually use pork loin, the fatty steaks. Grill. Slice. Delicious. I make some fresh pizza dough, then roll out into 6" rounds (very misshapen, TBH) and dry fry on a medium hot frying pan. (A bit time consuming but the pitas you buy in the store are usually dry AF, so worth it.)

Serve with homemade tzatziki (plain yogurt with lemon juice, minced garlic, shredded cucumber and salt), cucumber slices, red onion, red/green pepper, tomatoes, oil and vinegar dressing.

That's supper tonight.

nkupianist

Post by nkupianist » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:56 pm

Re: pork, for an easy weekly meal prep meal, a pork shoulder rubbed with a good rub in the crock pot all day yields lunches and dinners for a solid week. Pretty cost effective too - 7-8 pounds for approx. $30. I'm sure it would be a lot better in a smoker if I had one, but I do like being able to leave the crock pot cooking all day while not home.

I've been doing a lot of taco meat with ground beef just because it's so easy and can be combined with other things so many different ways that I never get too bored. If I'm taking my time I'll throw a spice mix together but use the canned stuff in a pinch. Also pretty cost effective if you buy in bulk at a club store. I buy the 4 pound packages of 85/15 organic at Costco and also buy the cheese there and freeze 5 pounds of cheese as 3 ounce servings in baggies.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:37 pm

Viola wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:42 pm Doesn't anyone eat pork? Hubby is allergic to chicken so we eat a lot of it.

Pork marinated for at least 15min in lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic, dried oregano, salt. I usually use pork loin, the fatty steaks. Grill. Slice. Delicious. I make some fresh pizza dough, then roll out into 6" rounds (very misshapen, TBH) and dry fry on a medium hot frying pan. (A bit time consuming but the pitas you buy in the store are usually dry AF, so worth it.)

Serve with homemade tzatziki (plain yogurt with lemon juice, minced garlic, shredded cucumber and salt), cucumber slices, red onion, red/green pepper, tomatoes, oil and vinegar dressing.

That's supper tonight.
I like pork and it also tends to be very cheap relative to beef (and even chicken). The pork and ginger meatballs I mentioned above, they pair well with cabbage cooked with ginger and garlic. We also do pork chops pretty often (rub with a spice blend then cook on medium high for 5 minutes a side in cast iron to brown exterior then turn off the heat, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes to finish cooking all the way through), serve with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. In the winter I like to brown pork chops then put them in a casserole dish on top of a bed of stuffing, cover with a can of cream of mushroom, and cook. Not healthy but tasty comfort food. I used to make pulled pork pretty often - put a loin in the slow cooker with a can of root beer, then shred, mix in bbq sauce or whatever floats your boat.

alek

Post by alek » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:47 am

I made this last night with 2 pounds of ground beef. My wife wouldn't shut up about it...even said she's never cooking again.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:32 am

alek wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:47 am I made this last night with 2 pounds of ground beef. My wife wouldn't shut up about it...even said she's never cooking again.

tried watching, but after 12 seconds couldn't stand to listen to that dudes voice... Looks tasty though, can you recap?

alek

Post by alek » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:08 am

damufunman wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:32 am recap?
Saute in oven safe pan over medium high heat 2 cups sliced/chopped mushrooms in half stick of butter until browned. Add 3 tbl flour and coat mushrooms. Cook for a couple minutes. Whisk in 2.5 cups of cold stock about a half cup at a time. Turn heat to high to boil mixture. Whisk everything well and remove from heat after a minute or so of boiling. Whisk in a half cup of cold cream.

Assemble your favorite meat loaf and place in mushroom sauce pan. Cook on 325 for 15 minutes. Remove and generously spoon sauce over loaf. Cook for another hour and fifteen minutes.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:33 pm

Dinner last night:

burgers (mix in a couple minced cloves of garlic and grill)
toasted (grilled) buns spread with black bean sauce and mayo
caramelized onions on top of the burgers
sauteed kale and carrots with a splash of maple syrup

It was very good.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:36 am

damufunman wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:32 am tried watching, but after 12 seconds couldn't stand to listen to that dudes voice... Looks tasty though, can you recap?
I actually like his cadence, but it appears that's the main dividing point for the channel. His greek lemon chicken and potatoes is worth it, even if you hate his voice. Seriously great recipe, and easy to make.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:13 am

alek wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:47 am I made this last night with 2 pounds of ground beef. My wife wouldn't shut up about it...even said she's never cooking again.

I made this. Delicious. It'll be my default approach to meatloaf going forward. For the meatloaf itself, I basically just made a single, enormous Swedish Meatball.

alek

Post by alek » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:17 am

Hanley wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:13 am I made this. Delicious. It'll be my default approach to meatloaf going forward. For the meatloaf itself, I basically just made a single, enormous Swedish Meatball.
I did something similar but in an Italian style.

I made this the other day with 2 pounds ground beef instead of lamb. It's good, but not as good as the meatloaf. I recommend.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:46 pm

Exodus Strength Shopping Club fantasy edition.

I spent a while looking for the pan that Chef John used one of his videos. It looks like you can only get it from Williams Sonoma. It's some special All-Clad roaster. Out of my budget. But very nice:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/product ... d-roaster/

heidikay

Post by heidikay » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:48 am

hsilman wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:36 am
damufunman wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:32 am tried watching, but after 12 seconds couldn't stand to listen to that dudes voice... Looks tasty though, can you recap?
I actually like his cadence, but it appears that's the main dividing point for the channel. His greek lemon chicken and potatoes is worth it, even if you hate his voice. Seriously great recipe, and easy to make.
I made the lemon chicken and potatoes last night and it was really good. Will make his beef stroganoff tonight.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:47 pm

heidikay wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:48 am I made the lemon chicken and potatoes last night and it was really good. Will make his beef stroganoff tonight.
I made it tonight. It was a hit, though my drippings didn't look as good as his. I think I'm going to tone down on the salt a little too. But overall excellent, and the potatoes are really a showstopper.

heidikay

Post by heidikay » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:12 am

hsilman wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:47 pm I made it tonight. It was a hit, though my drippings didn't look as good as his. I think I'm going to tone down on the salt a little too. But overall excellent, and the potatoes are really a showstopper.
Yeah, the potatoes are the star of that dish. I wound up cooking my chicken a good bit longer than he suggested.

Made the stroganoff on Saturday night and the goulash last night -- both were great, but that stroganoff. . . my god it was good.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:04 am

I've been grilling chicken that I think is pretty palatable, long-term, for lunches:
Grill over hot coals 3-4min per side, then move off heat and let bake until 165, adding some hickory right away (once you are done with direct heat, that is) and again at ~15min. Season with your favorite spices, I've been using a pork mix from Costco. Going on week... 3? with this method.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:11 pm

My number one go to and so easy: Thai curry paste fried in some coconut cream. Then onions, the rest of the cream (from a can of coconut milk), fish sauce, the juice of a lime, brown sugar, diced chicken breasts then some frozen okra or fresh green beans, peppers or any other vegetable.

Next, just about anything here:

http://myindiantaste.com/category/india ... y-recipes/