Stupid Questions Thread

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

5hout

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

Post by 5hout » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:29 am

Skander wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:26 am You should just do the ol AMRAP every time you walk through the door method. Got me to 25 (not real, was also 165 pounds) chins over a summer... Though would probably kill anyone over 30.
32 :). The real reason I can't do that is even dumber: I didn't measure my door frames and just bought a random bar. Only works in 1 door on my 2nd floor, and can't live there full time so it lives in my office and I have to set it up every time.

JFick

Post by JFick » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:42 pm

chrisd wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:27 pm
nealstar wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:22 am A lot of folks try to get in near as much shoulder extension as shoulder flexion. I don't mean to "balance" the movement patterns for "shoulder health" or whatever. I just mean folks tend to keep a fair amount of horizontal and/or vertical pulling in their programs

But I never hear anyone talking about getting in a lot of hip flexion despite all the hip extension work we do. Should we all be doing more Leg Raises or whatnot alongside our Squats and Deads?
Yes, yes we should.

You think you're all big and strong and then you have to do a simple thing like raise a leg in the air and suddenly it's really hard. Some small person does it and you're all like

"Oh well it's easy for you because you're light whereas I have these really big strong muscles that are really heavy"

Fact is, you just aren't as strong as you thought you were.

A simple standing leg raise above vertical should not be too much of a challenge. Weighted versions can be done with a cable machine and the ankle loop. Be sure to maintain good posture and put one hand on your hip as you point your toes.
Above vertical? Do you mean horizontal? There's very few people that could do vertical

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:23 am

JFick wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:42 pm
nealstar wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:22 am A lot of folks try to get in near as much shoulder extension as shoulder flexion. I don't mean to "balance" the movement patterns for "shoulder health" or whatever. I just mean folks tend to keep a fair amount of horizontal and/or vertical pulling in their programs

But I never hear anyone talking about getting in a lot of hip flexion despite all the hip extension work we do. Should we all be doing more Leg Raises or whatnot alongside our Squats and Deads?
Yes, yes we should.

You think you're all big and strong and then you have to do a simple thing like raise a leg in the air and suddenly it's really hard. Some small person does it and you're all like

"Oh well it's easy for you because you're light whereas I have these really big strong muscles that are really heavy"

A simple standing leg raise above vertical should not be too much of a challenge. Weighted versions can be done with a cable machine and the ankle loop. Be sure to maintain good posture and put one hand on your hip as you point your toes.
Above vertical? Do you mean horizontal? There's very few people that could do vertical
Oops, yeah horizontal. I thought it was the stupid answers thread.

nealstar

Post by nealstar » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:14 pm

chrisd wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:23 am
JFick wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:42 pm

Yes, yes we should.

Oops, yeah horizontal. I thought it was the stupid answers thread.
That would be nothing but, "get your Deadlift to 800" answers.

jcw

Post by jcw » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:35 am

Possibly even stupid(er) question -- those who do DB curls, how do you program them? I've been doing sets of 12-15 on the straight barbell out of habit. Do I just do 12-15 each arm with DBs, or should I try a different scheme too, if I'm already switching up the method?

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:34 pm

jcw wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:35 am Possibly even stupid(er) question -- those who do DB curls, how do you program them? I've been doing sets of 12-15 on the straight barbell out of habit. Do I just do 12-15 each arm with DBs, or should I try a different scheme too, if I'm already switching up the method?
You could try a different rep scheme, especially if you have 2 curl days. I like 8-12 one day and 12-15 another day, with the heavier one being either DB curls or barbell curls, and the lighter one being cable curls.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:33 pm

jcw wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:35 am Possibly even stupid(er) question -- those who do DB curls, how do you program them? I've been doing sets of 12-15 on the straight barbell out of habit. Do I just do 12-15 each arm with DBs, or should I try a different scheme too, if I'm already switching up the method?
I like to keep rep ranges and set count constant. I do 5x12-15 and get a massive pump. As soon as that stops I'll switch to 3-4 sets of 8-10, adding a rep or a pound or two until I can't anymore and switch back 5x12-15.

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:54 pm

I like the myoreps-ish (12, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 2, stop, count total and log it) and density block (timer = 8min, 12, rest 30s, 8, rest 30, 6, rest 45, 6, rest 60, 5... count total and log it) because I'm lacking in creativity, but also dislike resting for 90ish seconds on dumb shit like biceps and triceps pushdowns.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:46 am

not about training, but (since this is a stupid question).... where'd the 137 meme come from?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:49 am

rjharris wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:46 am not about training, but (since this is a stupid question).... where'd the 137 meme come from?
I forget the specifics, but Robert Santana made some bone-headed/preposterous claim about a very expensive lifting lifting shoe (I think with 137 as a model designation). Following that, "137" became associated with all things lame and fey.

@mgil: can you fill in the gaps?

I believe I was one of the first targets of the "137" meme by mgil. I might be the OG 137 victim.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:14 am

Santana did post some nonsense with a percentage of some sort.

I said he was 1.37 x faget.

/origin story

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:41 am

Hanley wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:49 am [unrelated to the true genesis of the 137meme]
it was 727

A Clarification To all:

santana said that he and his lifter's "under his coach" would instantly squat 'better'/more weight upon trying a new pair of Asics 727s .
The effect was very feel-able.
And to be clear this comparison was between the Asics model vs. other Olympic Weightlifting shoes.
(NOT comparing say a solid Oly.W.L. shoe vs. a sketchers foam workoutshoe or something)

because korean elves who made them knew how to incorporate the magics of force-pixie-dust against an external object to maximize teh hipp drahive moment arms.

or something along those lines.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:44 am

lol, alright. thanks for the explanation guys

anelson

Post by anelson » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:56 am

That'll be $300/hr, please.

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:04 pm

I thought 137 was one of the older internet memes? Something about elite something something leet something 1337 something 137.
Would not be surprised if I've mixed things up in my head and then made it true.

ETA: so I did some googling and didn't get very far down the rabbit hole before I became paralyzed by fear and foreboding.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

https://bigthink.com/surprising-science ... 37-physics

https://science.howstuffworks.com/dicti ... number.htm

Mr @mgil can try to back away from this and claim it's just something random he pulled out of his arse. But I think it's patently obvious to all that this stupid questions thread has exposed him, this is some high level illuminati shit right here.

i am using a special ip hider thing. I definitely do not live in Massachusetts, I'm really in Malaysia I promise :?

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:41 pm

Ragholmes wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:04 pm I thought 137 was one of the older internet memes? Something about elite something something leet something 1337 something 137.
Would not be surprised if I've mixed things up in my head and then made it true.

ETA: so I did some googling and didn't get very far down the rabbit hole before I became paralyzed by fear and foreboding.
How does an article that talks about Pauli and the fine structure constant not mention that he died in room 137? Story goes he was in the hospital after surgery for cancer and when he woke up from the anesthesia and realized what room he was in said something along "When I saw the number, I knew I wasn't leaving this room".

Cleverusername

Post by Cleverusername » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:53 pm

Do bands give any warning before they break?

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:02 am

Cleverusername wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:53 pm Do bands give any warning before they break?
For a moment I thought you meant 'break up' and I was going to suggest not turning up for performances and stuff.

Rubber bands. I think they tend to perish. there are a few at the gym that I won't use because the rubber doesn't feel stretchy all the way round and they don't flex as well. To break a band in good condition. you would have to be overloading it something fierce.

hoyeahtop

Post by hoyeahtop » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:21 am

At the moment I’m in a position where I’m only going to be able to do horizontal rows. In the not so near future I think I’ll be able to either get a pull-up bar or go rock climbing once/twice a fortnight which Id use as a chance to use their pull-up bars.

But it made me think of the hypothetical question: what would your back look like only doing horizontal pulling?

Anyone do this?

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:51 am

hoyeahtop wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:21 am At the moment I’m in a position where I’m only going to be able to do horizontal rows. In the not so near future I think I’ll be able to either get a pull-up bar or go rock climbing once/twice a fortnight which Id use as a chance to use their pull-up bars.

But it made me think of the hypothetical question: what would your back look like only doing horizontal pulling?

Anyone do this?
When I was at my biggest and strongest, I didn't do any vertical pulling for 4-5 years. I couldn't do pull-ups because they hurt my shoulder, and I couldn't supinate enough to avoid flaring up my forearms to chin. We didn't have a pulldown machine, so horizontal rowing it was.

I did am absolutely stupid amount of volume of DB rowing, barbell rowing, band facepulls and sled facepulls during warmer months.

I also shrugged my face off. Basically turning it into a full-body quiver.

I don't actually think vertical pulling is *that* great for size or strength, to be honest.