Power Rack Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

jwilson625

Re: Power Rack Thread

Post by jwilson625 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:37 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:21 pm @jwilson625
Have you considered the SML-1 with spotter arms?
Not a full rack, but it's tried and true by tons of people.
Bend style hooks, but pin through and welded.
3X3 adds to their stoutness in my estimation

I know some board members have gotten one during the pandemic.
Had to wait on the spotters in at least one case.

Then of course, no pullup bar. SML-2 has one, but it's less budget friendly.

Mostly just @ing you in case any of these recent posts are of interest to you.
I ruled out squat stands pretty early on. I'm limited to maybe a 8x5ft platform at best, so the uprights would sit near the middle of the platform and I wouldn't really get good use of the whole space. The spotter arms are also backordered and not included in the rack cost, and I do want the pullup bar, so it doesn't really seem like much better value than just getting a full rack. That said, I am admittedly tempted and have not 100% ruled out an RML-390C in Rogue Red with 30" depth....

@caljacket What was your experience with the rack itself? Which model did you have? If it was mainly weld quality issues on the J-cups I'd perhaps just replace them with Rogue etc. cups.

SquatsALot

Post by SquatsALot » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:12 pm

jwilson625 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:37 pm

I ruled out squat stands pretty early on. I'm limited to maybe a 8x5ft platform at best, so the uprights would sit near the middle of the platform and I wouldn't really get good use of the whole space. The spotter arms are also backordered and not included in the rack cost, and I do want the pullup bar, so it doesn't really seem like much better value than just getting a full rack. That said, I am admittedly tempted and have not 100% ruled out an RML-390C in Rogue Red with 30" depth....

@caljacket What was your experience with the rack itself? Which model did you have? If it was mainly weld quality issues on the J-cups I'd perhaps just replace them with Rogue etc. cups.
I've got the 30" red 390c. Only thing annoying about it is the width, though I only clang into it occasionally. Got the monolift for bench, and like it as it makes bench possible for me (bad shoulder, unracking is, uh, not good)

caljacket

Post by caljacket » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:06 pm

It was called the Kip Cage. It wobbled and I had to grind out some of the holes for accessories to fit.

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:11 pm

SquatsALot wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:12 pm

I've got the 30" red 390c. Only thing annoying about it is the width, though I only clang into it occasionally. Got the monolift for bench, and like it as it makes bench possible for me (bad shoulder, unracking is, uh, not good)
My buddy had an RML490 that I used to lift in at his house, I clanged it sometimes on squats but not super often. Plus these days I'm not planning on doing a lot of squatting anyway :D

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:29 pm

Gahh my options are opening up again... Rep has PR-5000s in stock, and 24" depth PR4000s if you build from individual components:

https://www.repfitness.com/strength-equ ... power-rack

Rogue does also have the flat foot RML-390 available, which I don't really care about since I'm gonna fasten it to a platform anyway, but it is 30" depth and relatively cheap:

https://www.roguefitness.com/rml-390f-f ... -lite-rack

Rep is looking pretty good right now... seems like great value. Plus I can get blue :mrgreen:

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:32 pm

It never bothers me, and it's never been in any way a threat to safety.
3 step walkout helps.

*Just saw your post.
Yeah, the Fringe is looking pretty expensive considering the feedback here.

Happy hunting.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:35 pm

jwilson625 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:29 pm Rep is looking pretty good right now... seems like great value. Plus I can get blue :mrgreen:

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:04 pm

I think I'm gonna get the Rep on order while the parts are stocked. It's built 2" narrower than the Rogue RMLs which should help with the occasional clanging, and I can get the 24" depth with strap safeties and a multigrip pullup bar for less $$ than a baseline 24" RML... They've also got 45lb iron plates stocked so I can grab a couple more pairs of those with the savings....

Edit: It's done :shock:

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:43 pm

jwilson625 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:04 pm Edit: It's done :shock:

jrrenegar

Post by jrrenegar » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:48 am

@Wilhelm
You have the SML-1? I've been considering it, because I don't need a pullup bar, and don't really care about a full rack. Only concern is I really want to use dip bars. I like the kind where one handle attaches to each post. Without the pullup bar bracing the upper end of the posts, do you think there would be enough resistance to inward rotation for this type of dip setup?

Currently I have Rogue's ES-1 and I'm pretty sure it would not like that kind of torque.

Edit: Any way you could put a spotter bar facing inward and see how it feels if you push down about a foot from the upright? Appreciate it!

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:02 pm

jrrenegar wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:48 am @Wilhelm
You have the SML-1? I've been considering it, because I don't need a pullup bar, and don't really care about a full rack. Only concern is I really want to use dip bars. I like the kind where one handle attaches to each post. Without the pullup bar bracing the upper end of the posts, do you think there would be enough resistance to inward rotation for this type of dip setup?

Currently I have Rogue's ES-1 and I'm pretty sure it would not like that kind of torque.

Edit: Any way you could put a spotter bar facing inward and see how it feels if you push down about a foot from the upright? Appreciate it!
There is someone here who uses an S-2, and places the Matador facing inward.
Then again, the S-2 has a pullup bar.

The SML-2 does have a bar.
I have a separate dedicated dip stand.
The XMark stand is great, but it has it's own footprint.
I got mine for %112, but i think they have bumped it to $149 these days.
Still a very good value imo, if it is available.

tldr, i think a Matador on an SML-1 could be at least somewhat problematic.

*OK, i just tried it.
I only pressed down with my arms.
I did not like it.
I would never have my full body weight doing that, and especially not oscillating up and down.

I have to get my squats in now, but i'm curious if there are any videos out there of dips on an S-2

*guy in comments says he's done it with and S-2

I'd think an SML-2 could be even better.
The double pullup bar might help, as those have the long plate between the bars.

And there is a discussion of the S-2 thing here somewhere.
I'll see if i can track that down later.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:50 pm

I'm looking at it, and it seems like putting the Matador facing out, just like the spotters arms, would cause less deflection of the upright, since you aren't placing the load side to side on the triangle plates and bolts.
Then you just need to look at weighing down the stand on the opposite side, possibly.

HMan

Post by HMan » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:35 am

Eleiko have a pretty clever solution for dip bars, they go out laterally,, towards the center of the rack, which also gets rid of the upright in your face issue.

Last edited by HMan on Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:17 pm

PR-4000 shipped today :shock: :shock: :shock:

oldguy

Post by oldguy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:44 am

jwilson625 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:17 pm PR-4000 shipped today :shock: :shock: :shock:
Cool. I have same one - it’s a tank.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:54 pm

jwilson625 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:17 pm PR-4000 shipped today :shock: :shock: :shock:
Noice!

Barry

Post by Barry » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:58 am

PR-4000 came in 3 days ago. Unboxed it during light day workout. Assembled it Thursday, trained on it Friday. This pic isn't 100% complete....still need to add plate storage pegs, and unfortunately, completely disassemble it to get the hole spacing numbers facing the way I want. :mad: Or make a little black dot with a sharpie. The numbers face out, so when adjusting the strap safeties or J-cups inside the rack, its a little tricky to get things lined up evenly. I don't think there's a way to swap the uprights without almost complete disassembly, but pretty sure it will bug me if I don't do it. Quality is, imo, exceptional for any price...no need to even qualify it as good or excellent "for the price"....I really don't see how it can get any better. Packaging was superb...shipping was reasonable at about $170 to PA from Colorado and was the same no matter how much I added to the order.

80" uprights
30" crossmembers
2 sets J-cups
Strap safeties obviously...was only about $50 upcharge from pin/pipe. Standard J-cups as they seem actually really nice, well reinforced and braced. Attachments are all lined with plastic on rack side.
Dip attachement, not yet assembled.
Only item I need is the rear lower brace for extra stability without bolting the rack down.

I'll snap a few more pics when its 100%

$1400 shipped including dip attachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:32 am

Barry wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:58 am and unfortunately, completely disassemble it to get the hole spacing numbers facing the way I want. :mad: .

Looks really nice.

Barry

Post by Barry » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:08 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:32 am
Barry wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:58 am and unfortunately, completely disassemble it to get the hole spacing numbers facing the way I want. :mad: .
Looks really nice.
Thanks. Disassembled and reassembled today. Finished up weight storage pegs and such.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Barry

Post by Barry » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:07 pm

Thought I might elaborate just a bit on the REP Fitness PR-4000 rack I just bought, especially when browsing through the old posts on this thread regarding quality issues from other brands.

The quality, fit and finish of this rack are superb. No flaws whatsoever. Welds are extremely high quality....I have to assume robotic welds since they look too perfect to be done by most humans. This is important since shitty welds fail. I was surprised to see so many comment like "meh, the welds are ugly but it doesn't matter"... I'm not a welder but as far as I know, a lousy looking weld is probably a week weld.

Packaging was superb and every single piece was thoroughly wrapped and taped in bubble wrap. Literally not a scrape, scratch, or scuff on anything. The 11 gauge tubing is VERY stout. When you tighten the bolts on the rack, and I mean crank them down hard, there is no give or bend to the metal. The J-cups are very well designed with angled supports under the J-cup, rather than relying on a thin piece of metal with a 90 degree bend to support hundreds of pounds over your head/neck.

The straps appear to be crazy stout....they appear as though they would hold a shit ton of weight without failing....very thick, wide, and double/quadruple layered with a stupidly insane amount of stitching. I'll add some pics of all this stuff when I get a chance for anyone interested in more detail.

The only cons I have come up with so far:

1) The pullup bar has no knurling. It should.
2). As most know, 3x3 tubing can create an issue with the rack being a little wider, which can cause you to bump the uprights when racking/unracking squats. Well, the solution is to make the rack 2" narrower inside, problem solved, right? Well, if you have a wide grip on the bar, now your hands are perilously close to the uprights. So its a give and take situation. I've had to change my habits a bit....I just rack carefully and watch my hands to make sure I'm lined up straight.

Tomorrow I'll get the dip attachment put together and comment on it. Also, I'm waiting on a rear lower brace that is supposed to stabilize the rack a lot more but it won't be in for quite some time.