Power Rack Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Skander

Re: Power Rack Thread

Post by Skander » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:43 pm

Saw this today- I don't really get it though- why would you want a 6 post fold up rack? Though maybe it's better conceived of as a 4 post folding rack versus the normal kind which are really 2 post...

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:54 pm

If only the brand's name wasn't fucking Primal Strength...

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:24 am

Allentown wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:25 pm
Skander wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:44 am Just curious- with all these customizations, did you ever hear back from Legend?
$2,271 for power station, custom paint, pro-style pull up bar, beefy spotter arms, dip attachment, and delivery.
I typed up a big reply but it disappeared. We have similar space - if I was you I would condense all the non-gym stuff down as much as possible and move as close to the door as you can without impeding the door mechanism. I’d also take down all the shelves etc in the gym space.

Do you have scope to flip the set up 90 degrees? That’s what I’ve done but t suits the layout I have with doors, boiler etc.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:54 am

Wayne wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:24 am I typed up a big reply but it disappeared. We have similar space - if I was you I would condense all the non-gym stuff down as much as possible and move as close to the door as you can without impeding the door mechanism. I’d also take down all the shelves etc in the gym space.

Do you have scope to flip the set up 90 degrees? That’s what I’ve done but t suits the layout I have with doors, boiler etc.
The only non-gym stuff I have in there is the shopvac (which gets used to clean the gym, mostly), and one set of shelves. The running stroller is not technically gym equipment, but sort of counts. And a ladder, hanging on the wall. I could condense everything on the two sets of shelves into one set, freeing up 2'x4' of space against a wall.

I can't move anything further toward the garage door- the cage wouldn't fit under the opener or guide bar or chain rail. Besides, my plan is to pour some self-leveling in the platform area so I don't have to rely on shims/etc as much. And the best I can do with the platform is 7' deep x ~12' wide. Oh, also I don't want to put the platform against the left wall, because that's currently where the heater is.

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:59 am

Bringing this back from the grave... does anyone have any experience with the floor mounted power racks from FringeSport? Allegedly in stock and ready to ship. Seems like a great deal, and a quick reddit scan suggested the quality was better than Titan but not as good as Rogue.

https://www.fringesport.com/products/fl ... d-kip-cage

Lmao that they call it a kip cage though :D

Edit: link updated
Last edited by jwilson625 on Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:23 am

jwilson625 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:59 am Bringing this back from the grave... does anyone have any experience with the floor mounted power racks from FringeSport? Allegedly in stock and ready to ship. Seems like a great deal, and a quick reddit scan suggested the quality was better than Titan but not as good as Rogue.

Page not found

@jwilson625 I found it
https://www.fringesport.com/products/on ... power-cage
11 gauge.
2 sets of jcups, apparently plastic lined.

They say the feet extend past the uprights and mention weighing it down w/ sandbags if not bolting it to the floor.
I know my squat stand is just fine butted up against the baseboards.

I wish they listed the inside depth.
Full length of the lower rails is 47"

@Cody probably has a better informed take on Fringe.
Ship date November -
PRE-ORDER: Power Cage Squat Rack (Kip Cage) - Expected Ship Date by 11/28

Side note: i see their Garage Series budget rack is 16 gauge. YIKES!

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:38 am

@Wilhelm sorry, link updated. Floor mount version is supposedly in stock and available to ship. I have a Rogue bench already 😁 The "kip cage" appears to be dimensionally equivalent to a Rogue R-3 which is what I would most likely buy otherwise. Fringe rack just seems like a little better value (if quality is reasonable), with seemingly shorter lead time and free shipping!

I did look at Rep and was somewhat interested, but everything is out of stock with no indication of when that might change. You have to sign up for email notifications, which I did, but I don't really want to wait around for an unknown amount of time if I don't have to. Also agreed on the 3x3, my buddy had it in his home gym and it's definitely overkill. Don't really want to go that route unless I have to.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:58 am

jwilson625 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:38 am @Wilhelm sorry, link updated. Floor mount version is supposedly in stock and available to ship. I have a Rogue bench already 😁 The "kip cage" appears to be dimensionally equivalent to a Rogue R-3 which is what I would most likely buy otherwise. Fringe rack just seems like a little better value (if quality is reasonable), with seemingly shorter lead time and free shipping!

I did look at Rep and was somewhat interested, but everything is out of stock with no indication of when that might change. You have to sign up for email notifications, which I did, but I don't really want to wait around for an unknown amount of time if I don't have to. Also agreed on the 3x3, my buddy had it in his home gym and it's definitely overkill. Don't really want to go that route unless I have to.
Deeper too at 34".
That's nice.
1" spacing in the bench zone too.
Weight storage

You can see i edited out a lot of my initial post.

I just have to try and limit my opinion/advice, since i have no experience with various racks, only reading and what others have shared.

That Fringe looks pretty good though.
Not gonna kill you for sure. :D

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:15 am

Wilhelm wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:58 am
jwilson625 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:38 am @Wilhelm sorry, link updated. Floor mount version is supposedly in stock and available to ship. I have a Rogue bench already 😁 The "kip cage" appears to be dimensionally equivalent to a Rogue R-3 which is what I would most likely buy otherwise. Fringe rack just seems like a little better value (if quality is reasonable), with seemingly shorter lead time and free shipping!

Deeper too at 34".
That's nice.
1" spacing in the bench zone too.
Weight storage

You can see i edited out a lot of my initial post.

I just have to try and limit my opinion/advice, since i have no experience with various racks, only reading and what others have shared.

That Fringe looks pretty good though.
Not gonna kill you for sure. :D
"In stock" and "not gonna kill me" are definitely priorities, probably in that order 😂

Skander

Post by Skander » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:53 am

jwilson625 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:59 am Bringing this back from the grave... does anyone have any experience with the floor mounted power racks from FringeSport? Allegedly in stock and ready to ship. Seems like a great deal, and a quick reddit scan suggested the quality was better than Titan but not as good as Rogue.

Edit: link updated
It looks to me at least from the photos that it is probably just a Titan T-3. Maybe from the same Chinese manufacturer? Seems a little spendy if that's the case, but corona times are weird. And at least you know the customer service if needed will probably be real people and not Titan bots (though I've heard decent things about them)

My T-3 is fine, solid rack, just wish I'd gotten 36" interior like this one. Definitely felt a need to bolt mine down after a while, but sandbags and greater depth might make that unnecessary.

SquatsALot

Post by SquatsALot » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:57 am

I was not very happy with the multigrip bar I ordered from them, but YMMV. UPS lost the package, they sent me another one, box was completely crushed. Then UPS found the first one, delivered it, and the box was completely gone by that point, showed up with just the address label taped to the raw bar. And the finish of both bars was, not great.

Compared to Rogue stuff which usually shows up in boxes that could withstand a nuclear blast.

There is a super friendly lady that answers the phone at Fringesport right away, though.

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:50 am

I've procrastinated long enough that R-3 and T-3 are both out of stock until further notice, so it's looking like FringeSport unless I 'upgrade' to 3x3" racks....

caljacket

Post by caljacket » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:17 am

Just a friendly reminder of what I experienced with my fringesport rack.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2561#p157963

gtl

Post by gtl » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:45 am

caljacket wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:17 am Just a friendly reminder of what I experienced with my fringesport rack.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2561#p157963
@KOTJ had some issues too

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:47 am

Does Fringe offer sandwich style j hooks?

Although that could only address the failure of the main area as in the case of the Titan breaks, and not the pin.
I have never looked that closely at how the sandwich hooks are done as far as the pin goes.
If it's the same on both, then perhaps find a different brand that is compatible with the fringe rack.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:55 am

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:47 am Does Fringe offer sandwich style j hooks?

Although that could only address the failure of the main area as in the case of the Titan breaks, and not the pin.
I have never looked that closely at how the sandwich hooks are done as far as the pin goes.
If it's the same on both, then perhaps find a different brand that is compatible with the fringe rack.
They used to offer "Supercup" sandwich hooks, but I don't see them available anymore. I assume they were still just a single pin run through and welded on .

Last edited by murphyreedus on Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

caljacket

Post by caljacket » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:57 am

They used to sell sandwich style, but the ones I ordered didn’t fit on there own rack. Nor did rep fitness’ version.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:21 pm

@jwilson625
Have you considered the SML-1 with spotter arms?
Not a full rack, but it's tried and true by tons of people.
Bend style hooks, but pin through and welded.
3X3 adds to their stoutness in my estimation

I know some board members have gotten one during the pandemic.
Had to wait on the spotters in at least one case.

Then of course, no pullup bar. SML-2 has one, but it's less budget friendly.

Mostly just @ing you in case any of these recent posts are of interest to you.

hector

Post by hector » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:17 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:21 pm @jwilson625

is there a quick release pull up bar you can use on the SML 1?

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:32 pm

hector wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:17 pm
Wilhelm wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:21 pm @ jwilson625

is there a quick release pull up bar you can use on the SML 1?
The issue is the height of the SML-1. And then there's having to remove the PU bar for squatting.
If there even is a simple quick release that could be rigged up.

I suppose you could rig something and do bent leg PUs, but it's at least $80 for a Rogue PU bar, and i'd think if the height weren't an issue, and you didn't have an option for a dedicated PU bar apart from the rack, you'd just go for the SML-2, or even one of the 2X3 squat stands w/ PU bar included.

I actally think the 3X3 makes more sense in the 2 upright squat stand application.

*Not an equipment guru