Power Rack Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

ahpowerlifts

Re: Power Rack Thread

Post by ahpowerlifts » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:06 pm

I’m looking to get a new rack for my home gym, I’m looking at the Rogue RML-490 and the RM-4. Does anyone have opinions/experience to share on whether to go with the Monster light vs Monster rack? For assistance work I’m doing quite a bit of pin presses, pin squats and will be doing band work soon which is why I want a stable rack.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:13 pm

ahpowerlifts wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:06 pm I’m looking to get a new rack for my home gym, I’m looking at the Rogue RML-490 and the RM-4. Does anyone have opinions/experience to share on whether to go with the Monster light vs Monster rack? For assistance work I’m doing quite a bit of pin presses, pin squats and will be doing band work soon which is why I want a stable rack.
How much room you got?

What’s your budget?

Have you looked at other companies?

ahpowerlifts

Post by ahpowerlifts » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:37 pm

mgil wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:13 pm
ahpowerlifts wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:06 pm I’m looking to get a new rack for my home gym, I’m looking at the Rogue RML-490 and the RM-4. Does anyone have opinions/experience to share on whether to go with the Monster light vs Monster rack? For assistance work I’m doing quite a bit of pin presses, pin squats and will be doing band work soon which is why I want a stable rack.
How much room you got?

What’s your budget?

Have you looked at other companies?
I have a lot of room, I’m using 1/2 of my garage, it’s an oversized garage with 10ft tall ceilings. Regarding budget, I guess around $1,000, but I’d be willing to wait and save more for the right set up. I’m thinking long term, and want to get the right set up. Haven’t looked at other stuff, I was leaning towards Rogue due to all the accessories I can get for the rack

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:41 pm

Monster light is the way to go buying new from Rogue if that's your only options.

That said, if you're budget is in the thousands for a rack, you can do better than Rogue. Legend Fitness is competitive in that price range and is a better rack IMO. Also, you should consider a 6-post style rack since you have the space and budget.

ahpowerlifts

Post by ahpowerlifts » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:45 pm

Cody wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:41 pm
Monster light is the way to go buying new from Rogue if that's your only options.

That said, if you're budget is in the thousands for a rack, you can do better than Rogue. Legend Fitness is competitive in that price range and is a better rack IMO. Also, you should consider a 6-post style rack since you have the space and budget.
Thanks for the input. What are some of the benefits of a 6 post style rack?

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:48 pm

ahpowerlifts wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:45 pm Thanks for the input. What are some of the benefits of a 6 post style rack?
The weight storage is built in. Since the rack can't be up against a wall anyway, it saves space over having plate trees on the floor. It also makes the rack longer and heavier meaning it's more stable and solid. Many 6-post racks don't need to be bolted down and still retain the walk through design.

Plus they're sexier.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:53 pm

A couple to consider. The first is the 3171, which @mgil has. The second is the 3230, the Louie Simmons design. They have loads more, but just look at them!

Also, just LOOK at the standard j hooks. Absolutely beautiful. Way nicer than Rogue.

ahpowerlifts

Post by ahpowerlifts » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:56 pm

Cody wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:48 pm
Plus they're sexier.
This settles it :D

Appreciate the info, I’ll report back when I pull the trigger on a rack

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:14 pm

ahpowerlifts wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:56 pm
Cody wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:48 pm
Plus they're sexier.
This settles it :D

Appreciate the info, I’ll report back when I pull the trigger on a rack
Contact Legend directly for a quote. You may be surprised.

ahpowerlifts

Post by ahpowerlifts » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:20 pm

Those legend racks look very nice. The one thing I don’t see is lower cross member with pin holes for band deadlifts inside the rack. The 3230 looks to have them but they look too high off the floor to deadlift inside the rack. Must be intended for squat and bench bands

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:24 pm

ahpowerlifts wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:20 pm Those legend racks look very nice. The one thing I don’t see is lower cross member with pin holes for band deadlifts inside the rack. The 3230 looks to have them but they look too high off the floor to deadlift inside the rack. Must be intended for squat and bench bands
A power drill with a metal bit could add a couple holes in 30 seconds...

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:52 pm

@Cody Am i seeing it correctly that of the two legend racks you posted, only the second one has the westside spacing?
That makes a difference for pin squats and presses, right?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:52 pm @Cody Am i seeing it correctly that of the two legend racks you posted, only the second one has the westside spacing?
The 3171 only has one spacing size. Works okay though.

There is an option for band pegs:

http://legendfitness.com/product/fat-bar-power-station/

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:13 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:52 pm @Cody Am i seeing it correctly that of the two legend racks you posted, only the second one has the westside spacing?
It makes it a pain for some people to set the safeties in an optimal position for bench.

No UHMW on the hooks?

Is it a pain to set a pipe safety over a 35" span? They have some kind of drip in safety, right? Doesn't mgil have em?

Looks cool though. You can ninja warrior / monkey hop between the two pull up bars . . .

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:11 pm

Westside spacing is overrated IMO. I train plenty of people of varied demographics with 2" spacing and have never had an issue.
iamsmu wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:13 pmNo UHMW on the hooks?
Meh, it's overrated. You can get the sandwich hooks if it really bothers you. You shouldn't have an weightlifting bar in the power rack, and you shouldn't be doing weightlifting with a power bar, so I see no need for plastic on the hills.
Is it a pain to set a pipe safety over a 35" span? They have some kind of drip in safety, right? Doesn't mgil have em?
Saber safeties are super easy to change. Pin/pipe suck. The one gilchrest has is a saber.

RobUK

Post by RobUK » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:19 am

I've got that open Legend rack, absolutely love it.

As Cody says, the safeties are easy to change. The swing in upgrades do look awesome but I didn't want to spend an additional £250 on them. Only minor irritation is paint coming off around the hole when you change them.

I did spend that amount on the monster hooks, which solve any concerns over UHMW. I was a little disappointed in them though because the fit isn't very tight and therefore they will move from side to side a bit - very irritating when setting up the bar for bench when you want it to be dead centre. They are also very big so some people may prefer a smaller hook in terms of unracking for bench.

I can't compare them to the standard as I have yet to receive them. If you order the monster hooks make sure you specify you want the standard hooks too. They shouldn't be any extra but they don't include them automatically, which is why I'm still waiting for them.

I have the dip attachment which is great, there are a few other optional upgrades too like front safety arms that I didn't go far.

It's very stable so I don't see why one would opt for the closed top version. Having said that, it is bolted down, which I don't think is necessary but can't say for sure.

Incidentally, if colours matter, I got the platinum sparkle (cringe!) and love it - same colour as the double half rack on the website.

http://legendfitness.com/product/double ... half-cage/

gtl

Post by gtl » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:36 am

The 3230 is like the EliteFTS racks I used to train on and loved them.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:30 am

anyone know anything about the REP fitness flatfoot racks? looks like they have a short one that is 3x2 11 gauge.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:42 am

TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:30 am anyone know anything about the REP fitness flatfoot racks? looks like they have a short one that is 3x2 11 gauge.
I know REP as a generally good manufacturer of "light commercial" goods. They are roughly in the same space as Again Faster, MDUSA, and Get RXd. They are resellers of outsourced equipment, but generally carry good stuff that's well manufactured. I wouldn't be afraid to order anything from them and often recommend their benches as the best-in-pricepoint options.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:40 am

Thanks Cody. You put them above Titan, I assume? I know you have been turned off from titan since that jhook snapped. I have an 88" ceiling and have been looking at that new Rep PR-3050 https://www.repfitness.com/strength-equ ... s/pr-3050 or the Titan X-6 30"x10" https://www.titan.fitness/cages-and-rac ... x3ext.html

I would do Rogue but it seems the only Shorter rack they sell is the 24" deep R3 and I think I want 30" or greater