Power Rack Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

TwoFoursStrohm

Re: Power Rack Thread

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:44 pm

jake wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:59 am Does anyone have experience/opinions between a 24" rack v. a 36" rack? I don't currently squat or bench inside a rack (I have stands) but I'd like to get a rack eventually. Specifically looking at the Titan t-3 options. I'd also like to consolidate ft^2 if possible as I'll be moving spaces soon, which the 24" seems to achieve, but it seems kinda claustrophobic to me...

@TwoFoursStrohm did Titan ever resolve your issue?
Yup they sent me the short posts and told me to keep the regular sized ones.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:41 am

TimK wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:30 pm
Cody wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:36 pm I will never recommend Titan. Too many serious QC issues. There's now a safety strap that's failed...

If you're on a budget, buy Rep Fitness. They're pretty damn honest folks and have a great quality: price ratio. They're my current "budget option" brand for benches and racks.

https://www.repfitness.com/strength-equ ... ower-racks
I like them and I'm very happy with my adjustable bench but none of their racks were a good option for me. They don't offer anything comparable in functionality and price to the Titan racks. When you add the cost of shipping the gap is even wider. I think Titan is fine if you know what you're getting in to and willing to accept cosmetic defects and the possibility of waiting longer to get stuff replaced if there's something seriously wrong with it. I knew that was likely before ordering and I'm completely satisfied with how it all played out and the many hundreds of dollars I saved. If someone is really worried about the J-hooks you can order the sandwich ones as an add-on or order some from Rogue instead.
There's always the classic bodysolid and powerline options, which have a long and proven track record.

Seems silly to order a rack brand new then have to order a competitor's parts to have peace of mind that the thing won't accidentally kill you.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:37 am

Cody wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:36 pm I will never recommend Titan. Too many serious QC issues. There's now a safety strap that's failed...
Any link to the Titan failure(s)? Can't find the j-hook one anymore, has it been removed?

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:04 am

Cody wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:41 am
TimK wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:30 pm

If you're on a budget, buy Rep Fitness. They're pretty damn honest folks and have a great quality: price ratio. They're my current "budget option" brand for benches and racks.

https://www.repfitness.com/strength-equ ... ower-racks
I like them and I'm very happy with my adjustable bench but none of their racks were a good option for me. They don't offer anything comparable in functionality and price to the Titan racks. When you add the cost of shipping the gap is even wider. I think Titan is fine if you know what you're getting in to and willing to accept cosmetic defects and the possibility of waiting longer to get stuff replaced if there's something seriously wrong with it. I knew that was likely before ordering and I'm completely satisfied with how it all played out and the many hundreds of dollars I saved. If someone is really worried about the J-hooks you can order the sandwich ones as an add-on or order some from Rogue instead.
There's always the classic bodysolid and powerline options, which have a long and proven track record.

Seems silly to order a rack brand new then have to order a competitor's parts to have peace of mind that the thing won't accidentally kill you.
Same story with those brands, nothing competitive with the features/price of Titan.

I didn’t buy Rogue hooks myself. I’m not worried about my rack killing me. I did order Titan’s sandwich hooks, but only because I wanted a second set. I use them more though because I like how they are angled slightly to keep the bar in one spot so it doesn’t roll back and forth.

I’m not convinced the regular ones are dangerous though either. The ones Owen Wilson tested in this video held up:

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:34 am

damufunman wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:37 am
Any link to the Titan failure(s)? Can't find the j-hook one anymore, has it been removed?
The reddit post was deleted but the garagegymreview instagram still has a picture of it.

I'm not a metallurgist or materials engineer, but I don't think this type of steel would crack like that without showing some signs of unfolding/warping first. It looks too clean. But then again, I know nothing. I'd be wary, but would still probably buy Titan racks based on this one data point, as there's a decent chance it could be a hoax.

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:58 am

How about a safety strap failing?

Titan has since removed all safety straps from their website... sooo...
As per Titan:
"At this time, they are safe to use, and if you do run into any quality issues or a defective item, please send pictures or videos illustrating this, and we will resolve the problem"
So after you drop a loaded bar on your neck, and die, get back with us and we'll see if we can assist. Cool, thanks.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:47 am

thejosef wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:58 am How about a safety strap failing?

As per Titan:
"At this time, they are safe to use, and if you do run into any quality issues or a defective item, please send pictures or videos illustrating this, and we will resolve the problem"
So after you drop a loaded bar on your neck, and die, get back with us and we'll see if we can assist. Cool, thanks.
Exactly. They've had a few things fail that are HUGE safety issues. Titan has a displayed history of zero QC. No matter how wonderful the specs on paper look, it's not worth the risk of a real equipment failure to save a couple bucks.

Anyone is certainly welcome to disagree with that opinion. I'll never lift on a Titan rack though.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:47 am

So, at $64, the Titan sandwich hooks for 3X3 uprights are half the price of Rogue's.

I saw something in one of the garage gym reviews about what will fit cross brand, but i can't remember.

Will the Titan X-3 Series Sandwich J-Hooks (made for 3X3 uprights) fit the Rogue Monster Lite racks?
Seems like once you get to the sandwich hooks, failure isn't part of the equation.
Price on the other hand would be a big reason to get the Titan sandwich hooks for a rogue rack if you were trying to save money.

Kind of a moot question for me anyway.
At least until i get my squat up to 1,00lbs :lol:

Well, i guess sandwich hooks (either brand) would give more bar clearance on the wide Monster Lite racks.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:28 am

Cody wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:47 am
thejosef wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:58 am How about a safety strap failing?

As per Titan:
Exactly. They've had a few things fail that are HUGE safety issues. Titan has a displayed history of zero QC. No matter how wonderful the specs on paper look, it's not worth the risk of a real equipment failure to save a couple bucks.

Anyone is certainly welcome to disagree with that opinion. I'll never lift on a Titan rack though.
I don’t see how the rack itself could possibly fail from the stress of a failed squat or bench. Even if the j hooks and straps were complete garbage, if you buy those elsewhere and get the rack from Titan you can save a lot more than a “couple of bucks”. Over a thousand dollars depending on the configuration. To me that’s worth the extra hassle and time, because I don’t have a lot of money.

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:28 am

Wilhelm wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:47 am Well, i guess sandwich hooks (either brand) would give more bar clearance on the wide Monster Lite racks.
Yep, that's why I actually bought the Rogue sandwich hooks for my Rogue rack.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:46 am

TimK wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:28 am I don’t see how the rack itself could possibly fail from the stress of a failed squat or bench.

Me either. I don't know if I've ever seen a total structural failure on a cage. Individual component failure/damage or user error, sure. The standard Rogue/Titan j-hook design is dumb anyway.

Jay870

Post by Jay870 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:54 am

omaniphil wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:34 am
The reddit post was deleted but the garagegymreview instagram still has a picture of it.

Even my uber shitty TDS / New York Barbell rack has and extra hunk of "L" shaped steel welded under the "hook" so that not all the stress is concentrated on that 90 degree bend.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:29 am

I would love to know if this -
https://www.titan.fitness/x-3-half-rack ... n-kit.html

Would fit my SML-1 Monster Lite stand.

I think they both use 5/8 bolts. But i'd be concerned if the triangle plates and bolt holes to attach them were the same spacing cross brand.
If Titan was smart, they would make these Rogue compatabile.

Even though Rogue says their conversion kit does not fit the Moster Lite SML-1, there is a guy in the reviews who did use it with the SML-1

If the Titan kit would fit, I would do this for added stability, and i'd use the extra uprights to store my SSB when i get it.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:37 pm

Well, i figured out the Titan kit won't work on my SML-1.
Titan stuff is 42" wide, and Rogue is 43".

Damn.
The price for the Rogue kit is $235, then at least $85 for a stabilizer, then shipping...
Comes to $392.55

I'd put that money towards an SSB and a start on some new plates.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:37 pm Well, i figured out the Titan kit won't work on my SML-1.

Damn.
The price for the Rogue kit is $235, then at least $85 for a stabilizer, then shipping...
Comes to $392.55

Does the width matter though? It doesn't look like there are any stabilizer bars that go across the rack in the Titan photos.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:52 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:37 pm Well, i figured out the Titan kit won't work on my SML-1.

Damn.
Comes to $392.55

Yeah if there's no cross member in the extension then the width isn't going to matter. Can't speak to the joint plates though.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:07 pm

omaniphil wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:46 pm Does the width matter though? It doesn't look like there are any stabilizer bars that go across the rack in the Titan photos.
Well, it does matter, but you just made me realise maybe it only matters partially.

The Titan has the pullup bar on the front uprights and that's the stabilizer.
I don't have a pullup bar because my head would hit it when i unracked squats :lol:
My stand is just 70" tall. It's the same as the one in the pic i posted, minus the half rack kit (of course)
In the pic of the Rogue, he has the 2" fat pullup bar in the back. That has longer flanges than the 1" bar that is the same price.
I'd get that one since that gives more stability.

BUT...
If the holes would line up, i could still get the Titan kit, and just order the Rogue pullup bar for $85.
That's a big if though.
Without a stabilizer, plate storage would bend the triangle plates, and i wouldn't gain overall rigidity of the rig.

Truth be told though, the SML-1 is rated for 1,000lbs, and i'm fully confident that is a trustworthy number.
If i get over 500lbs for my squat, i'll be kicking ass for an old man.
I probably don't need this at all.
Doesn't mean i don't want it though.
I will be faced with an issue when i get an SSB. I have to store it somewhere. The half rack could do double duty that way and save buying a gun rack and mounting that to the wall.

I could try messaging the garage Gym Review guy on FB, and see if he could tell me if all the holes would line up to do this.

***OK. Message sent to Garage Gym Reviews.
I'm hoping they find it enough in their wheelhouse to be worth their time.

Total would be $251.50 including the Rogue crossmember and Rogue shipping.
So almost $150 less than all Rogue. Well, i'd have to order bolts for the pullup bar. $12.50. Those might be less locally,

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:10 am

Well, found these two items

And some specific measurements of hole sizes etc...
https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthre ... 1509922021

So that's it from me on this topic.
I'm definitely not doing this.
The same $250 will get me an Elitefts SS yoke bar on black friday if they do free shipping again.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:57 am

What's going on with Titan? Darn near all their racks seem to be sold out (X2, X2 short, T3, T3 Short, Most X3 models...).

Freaking about tariffs? Freaking due to exposure due to QC issues? Supply chain and/or fulfillment issues? Normal fulfillment cycle? Seems weird.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:58 pm

For everyone still defending Titan, here's ANOTHER major failed piece of equipment...