Brown vs white rice

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

platypus
mammal?

Brown vs white rice

Post by platypus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Does eating brown rice vs. white rice matter much at all from a nutritional standpoint?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Brown vs white rice

Post by mgil » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:04 pm

#brownricematters

Actually I have no idea. From what I remember they are close enough to not be a big difference for most macros.

PatrickDB
Have you read this study?

Post by PatrickDB » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:17 pm

Lyle McDonald thinks the answer is "No."

Even if suppose that brown rice is "better" due to the slightly higher fiber content or whatever, I'd argue this is outweighed by the compliance benefits of white rice. Hitting your macros every day is 10x more important than worrying about micronutrients, and white rice facilitates this because it tastes a hell of a lot better.

Skid

Post by Skid » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:25 pm

White rice is easier to digest. Get your fiber elsewhere...

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks guys, this is pleasant news.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:21 pm

Basmati (a variety, not a brand) comes in a white form - that is to say the husk, bran & germ have been removed. But unlike most other white rices, it's low GI, if you care about that stuff. I care a little about that stuff, cause I eat a lot of rice. Exactly as easy to cook as any other white rice and tasty as fuck. I use it for everything except risotto and sushi rolls.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:21 pm

Does everyone really have that much of a preference for how white rice tastes? I don't mind either one.

BenM

Post by BenM » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:40 am

I don’t mind either one, though I mostly eat brown for the extra fibre and I think it has more flavour.

Assuming you’re getting enough fibre in your diet overall, I think it’s personal preference and it’ll make bugger all difference to gainz.

If you were really trying to optimise nutrient timing (like for example the RP diet book recommends simple carbs right after training to spike insulin) then in that case I’d probably choose white; but ultimately if the rest of your nutrition is on point it’s gonna be an unmeasurable improvement.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:09 am

SeanHerbison wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:21 pm Does everyone really have that much of a preference for how white rice tastes? I don't mind either one.
BenM wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:40 am I don’t mind either one, though I mostly eat brown for the extra fibre and I think it has more flavour.

Assuming you’re getting enough fibre in your diet overall, I think it’s personal preference and it’ll make bugger all difference to gainz.

If you were really trying to optimise nutrient timing (like for example the RP diet book recommends simple carbs right after training to spike insulin) then in that case I’d probably choose white; but ultimately if the rest of your nutrition is on point it’s gonna be an unmeasurable improvement.
I love brown rice. I used to eat bowls and bowls of it with nothing more than some lemon juice squeezed on top. But it takes longer to cook, is harder to wolf down, can overpower other flavours in a dish, and most importantly my family is not super keen on it.

BenM

Post by BenM » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:47 am

Shane wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:09 am
SeanHerbison wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:21 pm Does everyone really have that much of a preference for how white rice tastes? I don't mind either one.
BenM wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:40 am I don’t mind either one, though I mostly eat brown for the extra fibre and I think it has more flavour.

I love brown rice. I used to eat bowls and bowls of it with nothing more than some lemon juice squeezed on top. But it takes longer to cook, is harder to wolf down, can overpower other flavours in a dish, and most importantly my family is not super keen on it.
Yep, that’s one of the compromises we all have to make :)

If only I didn’t have to keep the family happy, I am so accustomed to eating by numbers I’d rarely slip up!

Culican

Post by Culican » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:04 am

Brown rice has more arsenic in it in general.

cwd

Post by cwd » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:17 am

My mother is a dietician, trained back in the 1970s, so I grew up eating a lot of brown rice. And tofu, and avoiding eggs/butter, etc.

I eat mostly white rice these days. It just tastes better, and I get enormous amounts of fiber and micronutrients from the rest of my diet anyway. Also, fuck margarine.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:01 am

I grew up eating Jasmine rice so I don't like brown rice, no matter what potential health benefits are in it.

#makewhitericegreatagain
#brownriceisfakenews
#allricematters

ch

Post by ch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:05 am

It’s a matter of cooking time for me. I start my rice, then prep and cook a stir fry, and both finish at about the same time.

Speaking of, does anyone have suggestions for a cheap small rice cooker? The Instant Pot doesn’t do well with less than a cup of dry rice.

michael
Young Padawan

Post by michael » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:05 am

I just buy frozen rice from Trader Joe's. It all cooks in < 3 minutes.

I throw it into stir-fry frozen.

You can make a big pot of rice and freeze portion sizes for later.

Culican

Post by Culican » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:19 am

ch wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:05 am It’s a matter of cooking time for me. I start my rice, then prep and cook a stir fry, and both finish at about the same time.

Speaking of, does anyone have suggestions for a cheap small rice cooker? The Instant Pot doesn’t do well with less than a cup of dry rice.
I bought something almost exactly like this at Walgreens 12 years ago for $9.99. Still works great. Price hasn't even gone up that much.

Works fine for 1/2 cup of rice. Never tried less than that in it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aroma-6-Cup- ... 15&veh=sem

BenM

Post by BenM » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:18 pm

We bought a microwave rice cooker from the supermarket a while ago and that seems to work ok in a pinch. I do most of the rice cooking in that nowadays and if I’m meal prepping, I just freeze servings of rice in zip lock bags.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:22 pm

The fiber content is not significant enough for the GI discomfort brown causes me, so I'm brown but I eat white.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:07 pm

Huh. Brown rice has never caused me discomfort, even when I'm eating a bunch of it. Recently, I've been eating 1-2.5 cups (dry measure) per day, and my gut's fine.

Actually, due to some odd timing, I've actually got my rice cooker in my office and I'm making rice right now.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:35 am

I also don't know why the heck is it, but brown rice gives me some discomfort. I get GI problems from odd things, like everything soy based that is not soy sauce or missoshiro, brown rice (I can eat a lot of oats, several types of whole grains, etc.).

White rice is also cheaper here, so I got that going for me...