Exotic eats thread

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

Mattjd

Exotic eats thread

Post by Mattjd » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:40 pm

So share your experiences with exotic foods.

Had roasted marrow bones today, they were... Different, very greasy, they didn't really wow me at all and am not sure if I would eat them again. The consistency was a little weird for me too, so I don't think that helped.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Re: Exotic eats thread

Post by Manveer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:46 pm

I love bone marrow.

Had horse sashimi in Japan. Was bland, chewy, boring.

Had blowfish in Japan also. Flavor was just ok. Most of the flavor came from ponzu sauce. At the same meal they served these little live fish. Put them in a bowl of vinegar that each diner had and you were supposed to eat them as they flopped around and died.

Fried ostrich in China. Tasted like chicken. Probably a bunch of other stuff I’ve blocked from my memory.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:58 pm

Mattjd wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:40 pm So share your experiences with exotic foods.

Had roasted marrow bones today, they were... Different, very greasy, they didn't really wow me at all and am not sure if I would eat them again. The consistency was a little weird for me too, so I don't think that helped.
Does Haggis count? I'm trying to source the ingredients for it in a couple of days so I can make it for Burns Night. Never made it before. I don't think I can find the lung, but I'm sure I'll be able to find sheep heart and liver from a local Arab butcher. Stomach to stuff it in might be hard too, but I can probably find artificial casing which should work too,

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Alligator and snake are pretty good. Usually fried, so the breading dominates.

cwd

Post by cwd » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:11 pm

I worked with a guy who was into hunting, he told me his favorite game meat was wild boar.

According to him, it tastes about halfway between bear and bison. This was not a helpful description for me.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:11 pm

+1 on the haggis. There's a place in Brooklyn that does a deep fried haggis with chips. I like it with a side of curry sauce. Sooo good.
Also haggis is my stuffing secret ingredient for Thanksgiving. Someday my MIL will find out and she'll be all like Heston in Soylent Green.
@omaniphil, I get my haggis and puddings here, they do mail order.

Another place that I found while eating in some schmancy breakfast nook in Conway, NH. I got elk sausage, which they order from a place in Boonton, NJ called Fossil Farms

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:17 pm

augeleven wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:11 pm +1 on the haggis. There's a place in Brooklyn that does a deep fried haggis with chips. I like it with a side of curry sauce. Sooo good.
Also haggis is my stuffing secret ingredient for Thanksgiving. Someday my MIL will find out and she'll be all like Heston in Soylent Green.

Another place that I found while eating in some schmancy breakfast nook in Conway, NH. I got elk sausage, which they order from a place in Boonton, NJ called Fossil Farms
Awesome! I was just going to ask people here if it was possible to buy.

Hmm. Look like that place isn't taking shipping orders until February though, which is sad. I need the Haggis this week for a Burns Supper I'm hosting. I think I may just have to make it on my own.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:15 pm

omaniphil wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:17 pm
augeleven wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:11 pm +1 on the haggis. There's a place in Brooklyn that does a deep fried haggis with chips. I like it with a side of curry sauce. Sooo good.

Awesome! I was just going to ask people here if it was possible to buy.

Hmm. Look like that place isn't taking shipping orders until February though, which is sad. I need the Haggis this week for a Burns Supper I'm hosting. I think I may just have to make it on my own.
It's happening y'all. Bought a liver, hearts, tongue, and a beef bung cap. Will make it on Saturday. If anybody has made it before, and wants to chime in on technique, please do so.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:01 pm

I red this as Exotic Cats thread. Slightly disappointed.

I've had salt water crocodile. It has the taste of ocean fish, but the texture of chicken. It's pretty good actually.

Camel and Emu I was less enamored with. Bit greasy.

I once ordered fried rattlesnake in Arizona but the kitchen advised they were all out. I'm not sure if it was one of those things on the menu to impress tourists that they don't actually serve

Jumrobe

Post by Jumrobe » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:49 pm

I've had rattlesnake and alligator, both pretty decent but they were fried. I've also had black bear and of course venison. My favorite part of any game animal is usually the heart.

Mattjd

Post by Mattjd » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:43 am

I've had alligator sausage, it was good. I'd eat it again for sure.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:51 pm

omaniphil wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:15 pmIt's happening y'all. Bought a liver, hearts, tongue, and a beef bung cap. Will make it on Saturday. If anybody has made it before, and wants to chime in on technique, please do so.
Oh, fuck all that.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:20 pm

Hanley wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:51 pm
omaniphil wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:15 pmIt's happening y'all. Bought a liver, hearts, tongue, and a beef bung cap. Will make it on Saturday. If anybody has made it before, and wants to chime in on technique, please do so.
Oh, fuck all that.
That's pretty much what my wife said.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 pm

Dafuq is a bung cap?

BenM

Post by BenM » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:42 pm

Kangaroo sausage is deliciously good. And super lean too.

SJB

Post by SJB » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:25 pm

Root wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 pm Dafuq is a bung cap?
Gotta be https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Anoose

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:03 am

Root wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 pm Dafuq is a bung cap?

Closed on one end, like a tube sock. Can stuff it with about 10lbs of haggis. I bought it on Amazon.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:10 am

- Jellyfish in soup while in Thailand. Slimy and crunchy at the same time, it was interesting. Would eat again.
- Fried spitting cobra in Thailand. Tasted like fried blood, don't recommend it. I also advise against walking near the cages were the snakes are kept, because they will spit venom on you.
- Jack Fruit in Thailand (and some US grocery stores). Smells and tastes exotic. Rather pungent, don't recommend.
- Camel's milk chocolate in Dubai. I don't like milk chocolate of the bovine variety, and camel milk chocolate wasn't any different.
- Grilled Conch (marine mollusk) purchased from my local grocery store. Probably not exotic, but sounds like it is. Not much different than squid.
- Some goat dish just across the border in Mexico. Looked really exotic since it had lots of goat hair all over it. I only managed one bite.
- Elk and Moose sausage in Sweden. Some of the best stuff I've ever eaten.
- Frog legs in Kentucky. Smelled and tasted exotic (like a swamp).

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:01 am

Besides typical game animals, I’ve eaten squirrel. It’s not great.

I’ve also eaten a variety of backyard insects because I’m weird and curious. Most taste like raw egg and raw nuts mixed together. Termites are very mild and inoffensive. Ants are sour (formic acid?). Grasshoppers are better with their heads and accompanying gut contents pulled out.

I culture flightless fruit flies for my dart frogs and there are inevitable escapes. And they’re attracted to beer and wine. So yeah, those too.

Oh, and goat. Reminds me of pork that’s not dry.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:13 am

broseph wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:01 am I’ve also eaten a variety of backyard insects because I’m weird and curious.
You win.