IT (2017 movie) *spoilers*

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Kregna

IT (2017 movie) *spoilers*

Post by Kregna » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:53 am

What did everyone think?

I didn't see the original but thought this was a good movie. I knew it was a horror movie but in the back of my mind, I couldn't help but think it wouldn't be too dark due to the clown and the main character being kids. It really set the tone when 5 minutes in a kid gets his arm bitten off and dragged into the sewers to be eaten!

A lot of preteens snuck into the movies (it's a 15) and were screaming a lot, with one kid next to me using his hands to cover his eyes/face for about 30 minutes!

Me and my friends agreed that while it was a good film, it peaked too early. It seemed pretty dark up until when they all went into the clown's house - after that, I wasn't really expecting anything bad to happen to the kids (and lo and behold, they all survived). I think when it killed a young child off early, it suggested anyone can die. Then the clown killed a bully and that was it. Lessened him, a bit.

Questions:
1. When the bully wandered into the sewers and saw loads of zombie children, were they being kept alive as these zombie things by IT, or were they just illusions?
2. If IT was eating kids, why did they all seem in tact (loads floating in his underground lair, and the missing girl in his house was just missing her lower legs)?

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Re: IT (2017 movie) *spoilers*

Post by aurelius » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:45 am

I did not see the TV special. I did read the book in high school. Saw It last night. Overall, thought it was a good, fun movie. Scary. Clown was pretty killer. Wish he had more screen time/speaking time. Was a smart adaptation of the source material. True to the intent. Couldn't get into Stephen King's metaverse.

1. The It has the ability to transform into whatever. And also the ability to fuck with people's perception (create illusions). Going with they were illusions in that case.
2. Don't know if the It really ate the kids. More like consumed their minds. Needed them to be afraid. The It would stalk its victims for days and even weeks building up fear to make the victim 'ripe'.

The It is basically an extradimensional being/deity. There seemed to be some unwritten rules/interference on how the It and the kids interacted once the kids were aware of the It. Which prevented the It from outright killing them (which it seemed to be able to do at any point). The book has an opposing extradimensional being/deity that helps the kids (the Maturin). Dark Tower followers will know that as the Turtle. Anyway, the kids in the book have to perform a ritual to beat It. A kind of mental warfare on another plane of existence. They just don't beat the It up (which was a little lame but a minor gripe).

The bully and his gang play a much bigger role in the book.