protein scam

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

SpinyNorman

Re: protein scam

Post by SpinyNorman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:23 am

Manveer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:41 am
SpinyNorman wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:02 am
Manveer wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:56 am I’ve been buying myprotein concentrate for a couple of years. No issues. Used to buy ON. Just ordered 22 lbs of myprotein isolate to try it.

Myprotein is rated better than ON, BTW.
I've been buying unflavored isolate form them for probably a couple years now. I've been happy with it. I never tried the concentrate though. Let us know what you think about the difference.
I've made two shakes with it so far. It seems to mix better than concentrate, but my sample size is small. Flavor is similar, but slightly different. A little less sweet - I bought Natural Chocolate for both the concentrate and isolate.
Thanks. I usually just mix mine with water in a blender bottle, so it's nice to know the stuff I've been buying isn't worse than the cheaper alternative for that.

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:58 am

Muscle Feast is pretty awesome. Just priced very fairly and seems very honest and up front about what's in it. They have pretty much any product you can imagine now. I think they started from a weightlifter's dad who was sick of paying tons for supplements with too much junk in them.

gtl

Post by gtl » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:38 am

thejosef wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:58 am Muscle Feast is pretty awesome. Just priced very fairly and seems very honest and up front about what's in it. They have pretty much any product you can imagine now. I think they started from a weightlifter's dad who was sick of paying tons for supplements with too much junk in them.
+1 for Muscle Feast products

NutraBio is a solid whey protein, also.

MattimusMaximus

Post by MattimusMaximus » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:25 pm

Jeez I can't even find the protein I've been using for 3 years on dat der lab website. I've been using PVL Essentials Chocolate Whey Concentrate. Not sure if the label is BS but it seems to be good and relatively cheap. Enough Leucine to spike MPS is all I care about but I'm getting sick of the brand... they only have 3 flavors and chocolate is the best.

Skid

Post by Skid » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:31 pm

MattimusMaximus wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:25 pm Jeez I can't even find the protein I've been using for 3 years on dat der lab website. I've been using PVL Essentials Chocolate Whey Concentrate. Not sure if the label is BS but it seems to be good and relatively cheap. Enough Leucine to spike MPS is all I care about but I'm getting sick of the brand... they only have 3 flavors and chocolate is the best.
PVL is a Canadian brand, that's why. It's good stuff too! I go back and forth between that and Costco's Kaizen brand. PVL tastes a bit better IMO.

Edit - I use the isolate, not the concentrate, so there may be some difference, but it is a good brand regardless...

MattimusMaximus

Post by MattimusMaximus » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:08 pm

Skid wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:31 pm
MattimusMaximus wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:25 pm Jeez I can't even find the protein I've been using for 3 years on dat der lab website. I've been using PVL Essentials Chocolate Whey Concentrate. Not sure if the label is BS but it seems to be good and relatively cheap. Enough Leucine to spike MPS is all I care about but I'm getting sick of the brand... they only have 3 flavors and chocolate is the best.
PVL is a Canadian brand, that's why. It's good stuff too! I go back and forth between that and Costco's Kaizen brand. PVL tastes a bit better IMO.

Edit - I use the isolate, not the concentrate, so there may be some difference, but it is a good brand regardless...
Yeah I thought PVL was pretty decent. I think it falls somewhere around 3g of leucine per 35g serving.

I just found this stuff https://www.canadianprotein.com/100-whe ... -size-5_kg and thought it looked good too. Almost the same as the PVL except this one is an isolate and instead of Stevia they use Sucralose.

cole

Post by cole » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:15 am

If you get the unflavored type there is no stevia or sucralose . Just whey and the soy lechtin they put in to make it mix better .

JFick

Post by JFick » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:52 am

cole wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:48 pm
omaniphil wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:16 pm
I may just try it out. I recently bought some Myprotein whey concentrate that was on sale. It was garbage. Much prefer the Optimum Nutrition Isolate that I normally get. Maybe I'll try a smaller pouch first, that way I'm not stuck with something I don't like for, oh, the next year.
well, i was gonna go buy Myprotein after seeing that its reviews were so much higher than my optimum nutrition protein. but if its garbage...
The flavor you get from myprotein makes all the difference in the world. I would describe the chocolate coconut as "garbage," it was really gross. Their natural vanilla is pretty good though. Cookies and cream is okay, a little sweet for me. And then I think their chocolate mint is far and away the best protein I've ever had. So it may be hit and miss depending on your own preferences. They did just start selling sample sizes for like a dollar or something if you want to try a flavor first.

cole

Post by cole » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:27 am

JFick wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:52 am
I may just try it out. I recently bought some Myprotein whey concentrate that was on sale. It was garbage. Much prefer the Optimum Nutrition Isolate that I normally get. Maybe I'll try a smaller pouch first, that way I'm not stuck with something I don't like for, oh, the next year.
well, i was gonna go buy Myprotein after seeing that its reviews were so much higher than my optimum nutrition protein. but if its garbage...
The flavor you get from myprotein makes all the difference in the world. I would describe the chocolate coconut as "garbage," it was really gross. Their natural vanilla is pretty good though. Cookies and cream is okay, a little sweet for me. And then I think their chocolate mint is far and away the best protein I've ever had. So it may be hit and miss depending on your own preferences. They did just start selling sample sizes for like a dollar or something if you want to try a flavor first.
I actually bought the 11lb bag of unflavored isolate. Got sick of ingesting so much additive, sweetner filled protein year after year.

acelticmonk

Post by acelticmonk » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:45 am

JFick wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:52 am The flavor you get from myprotein makes all the difference in the world. I would describe the chocolate coconut as "garbage," it was really gross. Their natural vanilla is pretty good though. Cookies and cream is okay, a little sweet for me. And then I think their chocolate mint is far and away the best protein I've ever had. So it may be hit and miss depending on your own preferences. They did just start selling sample sizes for like a dollar or something if you want to try a flavor first.
I regularly get the natural vanilla from MyProtein. The natural banana is pretty good, but a bit overpowering; I often get a 2.2lb bag of that and mix a bit in with the 11lb bag of vanilla.

ON Chocolate makes me squirt.

KrustyKrab65

Post by KrustyKrab65 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:41 pm

Another vote here for myprotein natural vanilla whey isolate. Decent flavor, easy on the stomach, and mixes well with Hershey's syrup on occasion!

BenM

Post by BenM » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:58 pm

I’ve had the MyProtein choc orange flavour and really liked it. Had the ON double rich chocolate and thought it was watery and ordinary. Seemed like it took an age to get through a 4lb tub of it.

fishwife
Olde English

Post by fishwife » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Concentrate to isolate comparisons are apples and oranges. I wouldn't judge Myprotein isolate based on the fact that someone didn't find that their concentrate didn't live up to someone else's isolate.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:23 am

+1 for myprotein

I just buy the concentrate... never tried the isolate as I never saw a purpose to. My jam is chocolate brownie BATTER (there is a chocolate brownie, its confusing, and the BATTER tastes better). Though these days I'm much more focused on getting my protein from dead animals. The whey is really just a quick 2-scoop post training deal or before bed if the timing is right...

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:32 am

mouse wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:23 am BATTER tastes better
We see what you did there, little rodent.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:43 am

Murelli wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:32 am
mouse wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:23 am BATTER tastes better
We see what you did there, little rodent.
Unintentional but I'll take it...

SwettyGainz

Post by SwettyGainz » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:29 am

omaniphil wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:10 am
Wilhelm wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:52 am I order the Glanbia Provon 292 in 20 kilo bags. Plain isolate.
It's what's in a lot of branded products.

https://s6.postimg.org/9god9f3m9/Glanbi ... WPI_90.jpg
Looks to have a pretty good profile, and a 20kg bag would be very convenient. Where can one order that? I can't find any direct to consumer order forms after briefly poking around.
Wilhelm..is there any way I can get in touch with you to order said 20kg of provon 292 for myself..?

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:18 am

SwettyGainz wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:29 am
omaniphil wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:10 am
Wilhelm wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:52 am I order the Glanbia Provon 292 in 20 kilo bags. Plain isolate.
It's what's in a lot of branded products.

https://s6.postimg.org/9god9f3m9/Glanbi ... WPI_90.jpg
Looks to have a pretty good profile, and a 20kg bag would be very convenient. Where can one order that? I can't find any direct to consumer order forms after briefly poking around.
Wilhelm..is there any way I can get in touch with you to order said 20kg of provon 292 for myself..?
Think you actually wanted to quote @Wilhelm here...

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:29 am

20kg bags are out of stock right now on bulk supplements.
They sometimes stock 90% isolate from Dana Foods.
It's instantized too, so i'm not sure how big a difference there is between the two.
You don't know which one you're getting until it shows up.

But you basically never know that when you order from third party protein sellers, who all just repackage the product from the small handful of large dairy concerns making the stuff.

Fzt

Post by Fzt » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:52 pm

Canadian protein is pretty good. Batch lab tested. I get the 5 kilo bags of concentrate with some creatine and caffeine. I've tried sample packs of most of the flavors and they're usually fine with milk. I'll give a few notes.

Of the basic flavours (vanilla, chocolate, chocolate milkshake, strawberry milkshake) vanilla is maybe the one bad one. If you want a vanilla flavour, banana cream pie or birthday cake might be better choices. Banana cream pie has a pretty subtle banana vanilla flavour, whereas birthday cake kind of leans into the artificial vanilla.

Chocolate milkshake mixed in milk is a solid basic flavor though, kind of like a slightly worse chocolate milk with better macros. Chocolate is just a slightly darker flavour. Strawberry milkshake is also solid. Chocolate peanut butter doesn't mix quite as well, but tastes fine.

Salted caramel is also ok.