US Strengthlifting Federation Nationals

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: US Strengthlifting Federation Nationals

Post by mgil » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:37 am

mgil wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:51 pm#triggered
Deleted the image that was in this post out of respect to the lifters.

That being said, coaching and programming for a national level event shouldn’t be resulting in several misses on second attempts. A lot of the dudes lifting here were coming in ill-prepared and their lift attempts were not right.

If you’re paying for coaching, the goal is 9/9. You’re competing against your prior self, not the other dudes on the platform.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:19 am

mgil wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:37 amIf you’re paying for coaching, the goal is 9/9. You’re competing against your prior self, not the other dudes on the platform.
If you're competing at nationals, your goal is to beat the other competitors. Making at least 6 attempts is part of this. Preferably 7-9.

Also, whattup to the lurkers of this thread!

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:28 am

Manveer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:19 am
mgil wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:37 amIf you’re paying for coaching, the goal is 9/9. You’re competing against your prior self, not the other dudes on the platform.
If you're competing at nationals, your goal is to beat the other competitors. Making at least 6 attempts is part of this. Preferably 7-9.

Also, whattup to the lurkers of this thread!
Like a lot of things, champions aren’t made on the platform, they are made in the gym. Having a consistent ability to predict performance and knowing what they lifter is capable of is the job of the coach.

Barring injury, every lifter should be hitting 6/9 without fail. Sure, the last lift is the chance to leave it all there, but within reason. Missing second attempts is really unfortunate but looks to be a lack of communication in the coach/lifter relationship, a lack of predictive capabilities from subpar programming, or a combination of both.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:40 am

mgil wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:28 amLike a lot of things, champions aren’t made on the platform, they are made in the gym. Having a consistent ability to predict performance and knowing what they lifter is capable of is the job of the coach.

Barring injury, every lifter should be hitting 6/9 without fail. Sure, the last lift is the chance to leave it all there, but within reason. Missing second attempts is really unfortunate but looks to be a lack of communication in the coach/lifter relationship, a lack of predictive capabilities from subpar programming, or a combination of both.
Of course... if you aren't stronger on meet day compared to your last meet, it's a problem with training that needs to be addressed rather than competition.

Calling attempts requires gauging effort by the coach and the lifter. If only there was a way to cultivate the skill of gauging effort under the bar that could help with making better attempt selections on meet day...

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:48 am

chromoly wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:20 am
mbasic wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:06 am I hear ya.

But I don't thin nobody intentionally dumps a squat either.
You say that but some lifters still purposely bail on squats when they fail. They just drop the bar off their back. You can usually tell the difference between bailing like that and unintentional dumping. Unintentional dumping they usually crumble too much and can't get up or the bar path is too wonky to recover from. People who purposefully bail at meets put everyone else at risk.
Don't get wrong, I think its a good rule (squat bail DQ).

Should do the same for press, would (might) reduce the number ego-lift-attempts.
And like the squat, kinda a safety thing too . . .
. . . maybe even moreso: max weights squirreling around over your head, neck, etc.

Would probably reduce the aggressiveness of the limbo thing too. Clean things up to an extent.

You should have to lock it out overhead(press) for more an nano second also.
Last edited by mbasic on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:54 am

That 2’ walk out for the OHP is a bit excessive. It wasn’t called if the lifter didn’t do it though. Few presses were done 6” from the rack.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:58 am

mgil wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:54 am That 2’ walk out for the OHP is a bit excessive. It wasn’t called if the lifter didn’t do it though. Few presses were done 6” from the rack.
There's an out in the rules...doesn't have to be 2 feet.
The bar must be removed from the racks and a position assumed on the platform at least 2’ from the racks, or a distance sufficiently removed from the racks to ensure the safety of the lifter in the event of a miss.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:12 am

Manveer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:58 am
mgil wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:54 am That 2’ walk out for the OHP is a bit excessive. It wasn’t called if the lifter didn’t do it though. Few presses were done 6” from the rack.
There's an out in the rules...doesn't have to be 2 feet.
The bar must be removed from the racks and a position assumed on the platform at least 2’ from the racks, or a distance sufficiently removed from the racks to ensure the safety of the lifter in the event of a miss.
That is shit wording for “rules”.

“Either >= 2’ or some arbitrary distance.”

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:18 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:18 am"Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner"
chromoly wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:23 amGotta watch on YouTube directly. Embedding was disabled it seems.
By YouTube, actually, not the video owner. They (whoever made the streaming page) explained that it's because their account is too new.
http://usstrengthlifting.com/meets/streaming-video-for-nationals/ wrote:We are planning to stream video live from Oakland for the 2018 USSF National Championships. Since we just created our YouTube channel, we are not yet allowed to embed video here. Clicking on one of the images below will take you to your desired stream.
I didn't know that was a thing, but you learn something new every day. Or you should, at least.
Wilhelm wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:33 amAre there no squat commands?
There are no commands at all.
mbasic wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:06 amBut I don't thin nobody intentionally dumps a squat either.
It's rare, but it does happen. Why it happens, I don't know, but it does.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:22 am

SeanHerbison wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:18 am
mbasic wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:18 am"Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner"
chromoly wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:23 amGotta watch on YouTube directly. Embedding was disabled it seems.
By YouTube, actually, not the video owner. They (whoever made the streaming page) explained that it's because their account is too new.
http://usstrengthlifting.com/meets/streaming-video-for-nationals/ wrote:We are planning to stream video live from Oakland for the 2018 USSF National Championships. Since we just created our YouTube channel, we are not yet allowed to embed video here. Clicking on one of the images below will take you to your desired stream.
I didn't know that was a thing, but you learn something new every day. Or you should, at least.

I click on the link (in the USSF site) for the women's and the men's comes up.

It starts at the mid way in the men's press, both links.

Direct YT links does the same.

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:25 am

I didn't see what Chase did after his missed press attempt, but if it was like that deadlift attempt, he should have been ejected from the meet on the second infraction. It's one thing to sort of quietly swear to yourself, but he was screaming like a child having a temper tantrum. He even looked like a little kid stomping off the platform during his walk of shame.

Cordova's back got pretty rounded on that 320kg attempt. I do the same damn thing! It is hella impossible to lock out at that point. Too bad you couldn't train that in a rack going from a fully rounded spine to straight again for reps. I mean I guess you could, but you would probably get injured.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:39 am

Les wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:25 am I didn't see what Chase did after his missed press attempt, but if it was like that deadlift attempt, he should have been ejected from the meet on the second infraction. It's one thing to sort of quietly swear to yourself, but he was screaming like a child having a temper tantrum. He even looked like a little kid stomping off the platform during his walk of shame.

Cordova's back got pretty rounded on that 320kg attempt. I do the same damn thing! It is hella impossible to lock out at that point. Too bad you couldn't train that in a rack going from a fully rounded spine to straight again for reps. I mean I guess you could, but you would probably get injured.
Here's the missed press: https://youtu.be/AIQHHScCZt4?t=5h3m52s

I have the same problem with conventional deadlift lockouts at 95%+...

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:51 am

Manveer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:39 am
Les wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:25 am I didn't see what Chase did after his missed press attempt, but if it was like that deadlift attempt, he should have been ejected from the meet on the second infraction. It's one thing to sort of quietly swear to yourself, but he was screaming like a child having a temper tantrum. He even looked like a little kid stomping off the platform during his walk of shame.

Here's the missed press: https://youtu.be/AIQHHScCZt4?t=5h3m52s

I have the same problem with conventional deadlift lockouts at 95%+...
Ugh. Don't we all though! If I were to force myself to keep a perfectly flat back on the platform, I would be limiting my 3rd attempt deadlift.

@Les I agree that it doesn't make sense to train a round back pull from a rack pull position, but what about bands and chains? Lighter off the floor, and increasingly heavy as you approach lockout? Allows you to use less weight throughout the entire range of motion (and possibility lowering risk of injury?) but still work on locking out the heavy stuff. Is that a stupid idea?

Not that I'm encouraging round back pulling. But I would be a liar if I didn't acknowledge that although I do my best in training to keep it flat, a PR on the platform is a whole different story!

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:05 am

I wonder if they'll add a drug-tested division, at least for the winners of local and national meets.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:12 am

KOTJ wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:05 am I wonder if they'll add a drug-tested division, at least for the winners of local and national meets.
My guess is no. Too expensive.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 am

KOTJ wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:05 am I wonder if they'll add a drug-tested division, at least for the winners of local and national meets.
Not sure if srs

Chebass88
Big E

Post by Chebass88 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:06 am

So what is the rationale behind not using commands? Is it part of the “we aren’t powerlifters, so we’re going to avoid all things powerlifters do”, including commands?

The meet seemed to be decently run (from the hour of deadlifts I watched), and @chromoly did a great job of managing the platform.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:15 am

Chebass88 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:06 amSo what is the rationale behind not using commands? Is it part of the “we aren’t powerlifters, so we’re going to avoid all things powerlifters do”, including commands?
No, or at least not the main reason. It's more along the lines of depth in the squat. Either you do it right or it's not a good lift. They don't give you an up command at the bottom of a squat, why should they give you a down command at the top of a deadlift?

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:16 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:22 am I click on the link (in the USSF site) for the women's and the men's comes up.

It starts at the mid way in the men's press, both links.

Direct YT links does the same.
Huh. Mine doesn't.

Women's Division - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C87ZWVPrO6U
Open Division - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIQHHScCZt4

Chebass88
Big E

Post by Chebass88 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 am

SeanHerbison wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:15 am
Chebass88 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:06 amSo what is the rationale behind not using commands? Is it part of the “we aren’t powerlifters, so we’re going to avoid all things powerlifters do”, including commands?
No, or at least not the main reason. It's more along the lines of depth in the squat. Either you do it right or it's not a good lift. They don't give you an up command at the bottom of a squat, why should they give you a down command at the top of a deadlift?
Thanks for the explanation.