US Strengthlifting Federation Nationals

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

slowmotion

Re: US Strengthlifting Federation Nationals

Post by slowmotion » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:25 am

I'm watching the mens squat right now, is there way to figure out who is lifting? I don't hear any names.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:47 am

slowmotion wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:25 am I'm watching the mens squat right now, is there way to figure out who is lifting? I don't hear any names.
Somewhere I saw shared a list of the people in each of the flights. It wouldn't have the people in order, but you'd at least have a list of potential names when trying to match the poor audio to a lifter's name.

Perhaps a link back on StSt or maybe on FB? I searched for it a bit yesterday but couldn't find it. It would have been helpful.

OCG

Post by OCG » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:23 pm

Chebass88 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:06 am So what is the rationale behind not using commands? Is it part of the “we aren’t powerlifters, so we’re going to avoid all things powerlifters do”, including commands?
For exactly the same reason they do this stupid shit:
Manveer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:39 amAlso, rules say no back spotters, but I thought I saw them. Can’t see the squat portion on the recorded live video for some reason. Should have 5 spotters on the very heavy attempts, including one behind.
It seemed like a good idea to Rip at the time.

Honestly, back spotters work fine. I know from having been saved by one a few times (yes, with some decent weight like ~500lbs) and having saved a few people back spotting. To say they don't is simply a wilful denial of reality for the sake of being different.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:12 am

Chebass88 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:06 am So what is the rationale behind not using commands? Is it part of the “we aren’t powerlifters, so we’re going to avoid all things powerlifters do”, including commands?
His TM main reason was on the bench press. . . a story at a meet: where he saw the judge give the press command to some (famous/huge) lifter before the bar even touched his chest (basically a TnG bench).

But they got rid of bench, so . . . yeah.

I could see the "down" command for Deadlift, and OHP being prudent.
There was a few of those at that meet that were barely locked out for a nano second, if not fully locked out at all.

The PL "Squat" command at the bottom of squat seems silly to me. People seem to hit that or not.

But yeah, for the sake of being different. #prexit and such.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:51 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:12 amI could see the "down" command for Deadlift, and OHP being prudent.
There was a few of those at that meet that were barely locked out for a nano second, if not fully locked out at all.

The PL "Squat" command at the bottom of squat seems silly to me. People seem to hit that or not.
I don't see much of a difference between depth and timing. Either you do it right or you get red-lighted. If the deadlifts were locked out for a nano-second, then they were locked out: good lift. If they were not fully locked out at all: no lift. (Obviously, like depth, this needs to actually be enforced to be effective.)

And if they were locked out for a nano-second and got red-lighted anyway, well, that sucks, but lock it out longer. Same way you may have a technically legal squat, but if you're only half a millimeter below the requirement, you may get red-lighted anyway. That's the risk you take when dealing with human judgment and toeing the line.

I'm not saying there's no "different for the sake of being different" going on, but getting rid of commands makes sense to me.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:21 am

Lots of people cheat deadlifts by not locking out the knees and/or having rounded shoulders. They usually try to legitimize the lift by leaning far back.

I think down commands for press and deadlift should be used. Also, probably makes more sense to use bumpers for the press, unless you don't mind damaging the bar and plates.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:53 am

KOTJ wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:21 am Also, probably makes more sense to use bumpers for the press, unless you don't mind damaging the bar and plates.
...and the fancy (yet wobbly as fuck) adjustable stand.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:00 am

KOTJ wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:21 amAlso, probably makes more sense to use bumpers for the press, unless you don't mind damaging the bar and plates.
One dude did basically pass out and dropped the bar. Another dude rested the bar on his head.

They should definitely employ bumpers for the OHP.

They should also upgrade the bar. The B&R doesn't have the best grip for heavy squats and pulls, especially if you're pulling 700+ and used to a grippy bar, it would seem. It's also not a calibrated bar. Using all those calibrated plates without a calibrated bar seems silly.

To @omaniphil's question, I saw no commoner thread tracking USSF over on SS. Sad!

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:26 am

mgil wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:00 am The B&R doesn't have the best grip for heavy squats and pulls, especially if you're pulling 700+ and used to a grippy bar, it would seem. It's also not a calibrated bar. Using all those calibrated plates without a calibrated bar seems silly.
I dislike the B&R 1.0. 2.0 is ok, but the knurling is not as aggressive as I would prefer personally. I didn't realize that B&R bar is not calibrated, and now that I know that, it doesn't quite make sense to use that B&R 2.0 over a calibrated bar if the effort is made to use calibrated plates and collars.

@omaniphil it is hard to show a flight list in order. Flights order is arranged by attempt selection. The order can change after opener and after second attempt. If a lifter changes his/her third attempt, that will also change the flight order. Perhaps it would be possible to put the projector screen with lifter name in the view of the live stream, but I think that might not show up well (rather like taking a digital photo of the projector screen, it doesn't translate well).

USAPL (Raw) Nationals and IPF Worlds show the lifter name and attempt in an overlay at the bottom of the screen. But they are a much bigger organization with time and money to dedicate to such things.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:31 am

About commands: it is on the lifter to convince the judges that he/she performed the lift correctly. It behooves a lifter to fully lock out a deadlift or a press, and wait long enough at lockout to make it convincing to the judges that it is truly locked out. Just like it behooves a lifter to squat to convincing depth. As @SeanHerbison mentioned, if you toe the line, there's a risk that you may get red-lighted due to error in human judgement.

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:38 am

Manveer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:39 am
Les wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:25 am I didn't see what Chase did after his missed press attempt, but if it was like that deadlift attempt, he should have been ejected from the meet on the second infraction. It's one thing to sort of quietly swear to yourself, but he was screaming like a child having a temper tantrum. He even looked like a little kid stomping off the platform during his walk of shame.

Cordova's back got pretty rounded on that 320kg attempt. I do the same damn thing! It is hella impossible to lock out at that point. Too bad you couldn't train that in a rack going from a fully rounded spine to straight again for reps. I mean I guess you could, but you would probably get injured.
Here's the missed press: https://youtu.be/AIQHHScCZt4?t=5h3m52s

Well, that just wasn't going to go up, was it?

Some days you can and some days you can't.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:01 am

chromoly wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:26 am
@omaniphil it is hard to show a flight list in order. Flights order is arranged by attempt selection. The order can change after opener and after second attempt. If a lifter changes his/her third attempt, that will also change the flight order. Perhaps it would be possible to put the projector screen with lifter name in the view of the live stream, but I think that might not show up well (rather like taking a digital photo of the projector screen, it doesn't translate well).
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the unordered lift of people in the flights. Again, not super helpful to determine who is who, but if you can make out of a portion of the person's name through the muffled audio, you can cross reference that with the unordered flight list to try to find out who was who.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:20 am

Seems like the simplest solution would be to fix the audio so that the announcer can be heard clearly on the live stream.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:35 am

chromoly wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:31 am About commands: it is on the lifter to convince the judges that he/she performed the lift correctly. It behooves a lifter to fully lock out a deadlift or a press, and wait long enough at lockout to make it convincing to the judges that it is truly locked out. Just like it behooves a lifter to squat to convincing depth. As @SeanHerbison mentioned, if you toe the line, there's a risk that you may get red-lighted due to error in human judgement.
I'll revise my statement. A couple more lifts should been redlighted then.
No commands: you should lock out the weight, and show control, then lower.
Not up&down real quick.

Although, I will admit, I saw a few lifts the were redlighted, that some would say were "marginal"
. . .more than I thought their would be.
. . . . .or at least, 1/3 red.

That being said, overall as a whole, the judging was good.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:05 am

TimK wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:20 am Seems like the simplest solution would be to fix the audio so that the announcer can be heard clearly on the live stream.
Yeah, that is a good suggestion. But for their first live stream of a meet, I would give them lots of credit. Of course things could be improved, but not bad for the first time!

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:08 am

It's probably all right if you are there at the meet. I've only looked at the beginning of the men's squat on YT, and only recognized one lifter, Frank Sanders, who is in Andy's Barbell Club.
And Nanette of course, making sure the bar was loaded right.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:28 am

chromoly wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:05 am
TimK wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:20 am Seems like the simplest solution would be to fix the audio so that the announcer can be heard clearly on the live stream.
Yeah, that is a good suggestion. But for their first live stream of a meet, I would give them lots of credit. Of course things could be improved, but not bad for the first time!
If little screen displayed the bar weight, lifter name, and attempt number....that would be great.
Because when you just want to scroll thru the video, you can just get to where you are trying to get to.
.... at least the first so many letters of the lifters last name, and the bar weight....in larger font.

http://www.powerliftinglive.com/portfol ... er-screen/

PatrickDB
Have you read this study?

Post by PatrickDB » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:27 pm

Jordan has a new video up about the meet.

michael
Young Padawan

Post by michael » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:21 pm

An entire year of ass-crushing volume just to add 1kg to his total.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:48 am

michael wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:21 pm An entire year of ass-crushing volume just to add 1kg to his total.
Something happened the last few weeks of training where Jordan just didn’t peak right, and I think the timing on the platform, especially for squats, took a lot out of him. He looked tired on OHP and DL.