Deadlift shoes

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

damufunman

Re: Deadlift shoes

Post by damufunman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:36 am

Cody wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:28 am
ChasingCurls69 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:31 pmI like the stability of the shoe itself.
Conventional deadlifts just don't have any real "stability" requirements from your shoes... I have deadlifted in weightlifting shoes, weightlifting shoes with the heel removed, throwing shoes, chucks, 5-fingers, and flip flops.

I've pulled as much in flip flops as I have in any other foot wear.
Are flippy-floppys meet legal? I know barefoot/socked isn't and why slippers are used. Is there a specific no on sandals?

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:02 am

damufunman wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:36 amAre flippy-floppys meet legal? I know barefoot/socked isn't and why slippers are used. Is there a specific no on sandals?
Nope. Have to bed close toed.

strega

Post by strega » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:39 am

chromoly wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:40 pm I love my Reebok Crossfit Lite TR aka the Reebok "power shoe" for deadlifts. @simonrest wears these also. They were discontinued, but a new version is in the works. Basically like Chuck Taylors, but better since I have wide feet. The soles are grippy and I feel very stable with the insole ripped out.
I recently picked up the Reebok Crossfit on Amazon. Just love them, so far the most comfortable shoe I've owned. Also comparing them to Chuck Taylors, yes similar but I think the Reebok's are better in every way. The sides have more support than the Chuck's and I have a general sense that they have more of a base on the floor, however, have not compared that in detail.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:18 am

strega wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:39 am
chromoly wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:40 pm I love my Reebok Crossfit Lite TR aka the Reebok "power shoe" for deadlifts. @simonrest wears these also. They were discontinued, but a new version is in the works. Basically like Chuck Taylors, but better since I have wide feet. The soles are grippy and I feel very stable with the insole ripped out.
I recently picked up the Reebok Crossfit on Amazon. Just love them, so far the most comfortable shoe I've owned. Also comparing them to Chuck Taylors, yes similar but I think the Reebok's are better in every way. The sides have more support than the Chuck's and I have a general sense that they have more of a base on the floor, however, have not compared that in detail.
Yeah, I'm ready for them to be re-released.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:27 am

Cody wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:02 am
damufunman wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:36 amAre flippy-floppys meet legal? I know barefoot/socked isn't and why slippers are used. Is there a specific no on sandals?
Nope. Have to bed close toed.
Ah gotcha. Guess that makes sense since even going into a restaurant is too dangerous without proper footwear. Or something.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:20 am

Cody wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:18 am
strega wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:39 am
Yeah, I'm ready for them to be re-released.
Me too. I really hate wearing Chucks because my WL shoes are already in the bag and I don't want to carry three different shoes.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:24 am

Murelli wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:20 am Me too. I really hate wearing Chucks because my WL shoes are already in the bag and I don't want to carry three different shoes.
I have the luxury of a home gym, so that's not a big concern for me. I've only heard great things about them, but I was wearing heels at the time they were released so I never bothered with getting a pair. When I changed over to flats they were already discontinued. I like my heel-less weightlifting shoes well enough for squats, but I am of the notion that those are as good or better than that, and could be used for all 3 lifts.

Bliss

Post by Bliss » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:52 pm

Murelli wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:20 am There's a lot of confusion about deadlifting in heels:

1) The problem is not the heel angle, is the total sole height (insole+outsole). A sole is a deficit, so it should be as small as it can be;
2) Some shoes may be soles bigger than a weightlifting shoes. I'm wearing Vans right now and they are almost as thick as my Sabo Weighlifts;
Necromancer thread.

Trick question:

1) Deadlift in flat shoes/socks.

Vs.

2) Deadlift in heels with plates on mats or blocks the exact height of the heel.

(Bonus Vs.

3) Same as (2) but toes additionally raised by wedges that are exactly opposite of the heel angle/profile)

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:33 pm

Bliss wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:52 pm
Murelli wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:20 am There's a lot of confusion about deadlifting in heels:

1) The problem is not the heel angle, is the total sole height (insole+outsole). A sole is a deficit, so it should be as small as it can be;
2) Some shoes may be soles bigger than a weightlifting shoes. I'm wearing Vans right now and they are almost as thick as my Sabo Weighlifts;
Necromancer thread.

Trick question:

1) Deadlift in flat shoes/socks.

Vs.

2) Deadlift in heels with plates on mats or blocks the exact height of the heel.

(Bonus Vs.

3) Same as (2) but toes additionally raised by wedges that are exactly opposite of the heel angle/profile)
Deadlift in bare feet, or socks if you are in a public gym. Shoes are counterproductive unless they are DL shoes and you use a Sumo stance that causes issues with your feet slipping. WL shoes with the angled sole are counterproductive, they push you forward and predispose you to letting the bar drift out away from you, requiring a lot of extra work from the calves to keep you pulled back and the bar in line. Dicking around with extra wedges and nonsense is a great way to get hurt and of no help at all for anything else.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:24 pm

I bought a set of Pedestal Footwear Minimal "sock shoes" for doing DLs, RDLs, and squats.

They're like lifting in your socks or bare feet, except your feet stay planted where you put them, regardless of the surface.

Bliss

Post by Bliss » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:28 am

Hardartery wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:33 pm [
Deadlift in bare feet, or socks if you are in a public gym. Shoes are counterproductive unless they are DL shoes and you use a Sumo stance that causes issues with your feet slipping. WL shoes with the angled sole are counterproductive, they push you forward and predispose you to letting the bar drift out away from you, requiring a lot of extra work from the calves to keep you pulled back and the bar in line. Dicking around with extra wedges and nonsense is a great way to get hurt and of no help at all for anything else.
I still like heeled shoes for conventional DL, even if just for foot support.

(3) was just a thought experiment, but in my mind it should be identical to (1).

Basically, the gym I've always trained at before pausing for a few years had a standart "even" platform, even with some indents in the rubber parts due to damage from crossfit probably. So all my pulls were effectively a "20 mm deficit with 20 mm lowered toes" (at least 20 mm).

Now that I've finished my house project with a gym, I got two 30 mm rubber mats to protect the floor (will put them onto a plywood base soon but that will be under the feet as well so doesn't change the discussion).

The net result is i would effectively be doing the pulls as a 10 mm rack pull.

Should I even care? Don't plan to compete and don't want to dl in socks or change shoes... :mrgreen:

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:04 am

Bliss wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:28 am
Hardartery wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:33 pm [
I still like heeled shoes for conventional DL, even if just for foot support.

(3) was just a thought experiment, but in my mind it should be identical to (1).

Basically, the gym I've always trained at before pausing for a few years had a standart "even" platform, even with some indents in the rubber parts due to damage from crossfit probably. So all my pulls were effectively a "20 mm deficit with 20 mm lowered toes" (at least 20 mm).

Now that I've finished my house project with a gym, I got two 30 mm rubber mats to protect the floor (will put them onto a plywood base soon but that will be under the feet as well so doesn't change the discussion).

The net result is i would effectively be doing the pulls as a 10 mm rack pull.

Should I even care? Don't plan to compete and don't want to dl in socks or change shoes... :mrgreen:
I'll be honest, I have no idea why anyone would feel foot support during a DL, especially conventional, or feel the need for it. I pulled in my Safe SST's as a matter of course when I was young and competing, I also squatted in them (Obviously, being squat shoes) and I never once felt any "Support" difference. I never noticed it in any footwear, be it workboots, squat shoes, a pair of New Balance or Skechers, flip flops... nada. I am deadlifting with a deficit of your described magnitude currently, and it is actually measureably more on one side than the other. It makes no difference to anything. A heeled shoe puts you at a mechanical disadvantage for deadlifts, it is negligible and worth the tradeoff for what you gain on the jerk portion of an Olympic lift. Frankly, weightlifting shoes are an expensive fetish with no real value for normal lifting. It's a lot of expense and extra screwing around for what is at best a placebo effect for the average lifter. Pretty much any shoe that fits and is fairly flat is more than fine if you have to have a shoe on your foot, air shoes become a bad idea when it gets actually heavy. Outside of that, a couple of sessions barefoot and you won't feel the ned for footwear anymore.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:55 am

*shug* I went to the expense and trouble of acquiring a "barefoot" solution for DLs (primarily) because everything I read insisted barefoot, socks, or zero-heel-lift shoes were The Way.

I've so far spent over $2½k on gym equipment. $1k on bars and plates alone. By the time I'm done I'll be close to $4k. $60 for three pair of "sock shoes" or a pair of zero-heel-lift shoes is a drop in the bucket.