One weird trick to set up an HLM scheme THEY don't want you to know

Drafts that may or may not end up as full articles.

Moderator: Chebass88

unruhschuh
Männlicher Photoshop-Experte

Re: One weird trick to set up an HLM scheme THEY don't want you to know

Post by unruhschuh » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:35 pm

PatrickDB wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:24 pm The setup I've seen is something like H/L/M for squats and pressing and M/L/H for pulls. This way you're fresh for heavy deadlifts on Friday and aren't doing them after heavy squats. Heavy benching and squatting on the same day seems reasonable. Preserving an "all light" day could be important. Not sure.
Ok that sounds much more reasonable. Doing heavy squats and deadlifts and bench on the same day is what I wouldn't like to do.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:36 pm

PatrickDB wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:24 pmI think it functions similarly to a light day in that it provides technique practice and stimulates muscle protein synthesis. Here I'm just regurgitating something Hanley said. You should ask him if you want a better answer.
Our posts crossed in the ether.

Yes and yes.

Primarily technique with a little bump in protein synthesis rates.

unruhschuh

Post by unruhschuh » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Ok, that's what I thought, meaning the word 'power' is misleading as it is in powerlifting.

unruhschuh

Post by unruhschuh » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:50 pm

Hanley wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:32 pm Plus, as you advance, the weekly kernal-template sorta logically grows into a block setup (I don't know that this is superior for any reason, but you at least get an intuition for "blocks" early in your lifting life). In a sense, block periodization is just a big-ass LMH setup.
I get this feeling from weekly rotating the rep ranges (8/5/2). How exactly do you combine DUP and block periodization?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:57 pm

unruhschuh wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:43 pm Ok, that's what I thought, meaning the word 'power' is misleading as it is in powerlifting.
Sorta.

In the context of training for strength, singles and doubles at 85% are really good as “technique”, however, they actually are pretty good at training literal “power” (training MU recruitment patterns and increasing MU firing rates to benefit ballistic movements).

Marginal Wattage-gains from singles at 85% are seriously important to - say - a shotputter, but for regular dudes I think “technique” is what’s important.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:08 pm

unruhschuh wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:50 pm
Hanley wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:32 pm Plus, as you advance, the weekly kernal-template sorta logically grows into a block setup (I don't know that this is superior for any reason, but you at least get an intuition for "blocks" early in your lifting life). In a sense, block periodization is just a big-ass LMH setup.
I get this feeling from weekly rotating the rep ranges (8/5/2). How exactly do you combine DUP and block periodization?
Yeah, very similar.

Here's a squat or bench setup for little baby 4-week cycle (2 weeks hypertrophy, 1 transition, 1 peak).

W1
Mon: 5x10 at 65%
Wed: 5x8s at 70%
Fri: 4x6s at 75%

W2:
Mon:6x8@70%
Wed: 5x6@75%
Fri: 3x4@80%

W3 (transition):
Mon: 4x4@80%
Wed: 4@70%, 3@80% 2-3 singles at 85%
Fri: 2x3@85%, 2x3@80%

W4:
Mon: 3x3@85%
Wed: a few singles around 75-80%
Fri: new 1rm

Using this ^ basic approach, I could expand each of the blocks as I advance. So, eventually, I might conceivably have 6 weeks of hypertrophy, and 6 weeks of transition/strength.

cwd

Post by cwd » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:21 am

unruhschuh wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:35 pm
PatrickDB wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:24 pm The setup I've seen is something like H/L/M for squats and pressing and M/L/H for pulls. This way you're fresh for heavy deadlifts on Friday and aren't doing them after heavy squats. Heavy benching and squatting on the same day seems reasonable. Preserving an "all light" day could be important. Not sure.
Ok that sounds much more reasonable. Doing heavy squats and deadlifts and bench on the same day is what I wouldn't like to do.
Whereas, when I was running HLM, I *liked* having the heavy day for squat, bench and deads all on the same day.
This allowed me to put heavy day on a weekend (Sunday) when I could start in the afternoon, and kept light/medium days short enough to do in the evening on work days.

I compensated for the squat/dead interference by using really long rest periods. My heavy session took 2.5 hours.

hector

Post by hector » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:42 am

Unruhschuh, somebody needs to give you a medal.

I stole your spreadsheet. It's great. I'm going to implement your code to put tables in my log one day when I'm not lazy.
And I'm about to re-organize my training with your simplified schedule.

Thank you.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:53 am

cwd wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:21 am
Whereas, when I was running HLM, I *liked* having the heavy day for squat, bench and deads all on the same day.
This allowed me to put heavy day on a weekend (Sunday) when I could start in the afternoon, and kept light/medium days short enough to do in the evening on work days.

I compensated for the squat/dead interference by using really long rest periods. My heavy session took 2.5 hours.
Same boat here. It's nice to feel more fully recovered at the end of the week instead of something being fatigued all the time.

unruhschuh

Post by unruhschuh » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:17 pm

damufunman wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:53 am

Same boat here. It's nice to feel more fully recovered at the end of the week instead of something being fatigued all the time.
Well, I don't feel fatigued all the time, but I'm also not very strong, so that's probably bound to change. On the other hand this might be something you can adapt to? I'm doing the question mark after a statement thing now? Have a nice day?

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:22 pm

unruhschuh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:17 pm
damufunman wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:53 am

Well, I don't feel fatigued all the time, but I'm also not very strong, so that's probably bound to change. On the other hand this might be something you can adapt to? I'm doing the question mark after a statement thing now? Have a nice day?
I think it's something you'd adapt to?

unruhschuh

Post by unruhschuh » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:24 pm

damufunman wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:22 pm I think it's something you'd adapt to?
This is so annoying?
Last edited by unruhschuh on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unruhschuh

Post by unruhschuh » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:24 pm

double post?

KarlM

Post by KarlM » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:33 pm

unruhschuh wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:50 pm
KarlM wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:40 am
cwd wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:15 am This is gold.

I'll add an idea: a lot of people can run the upper-body stuff as HMM. It just recovers faster.
I agree with cwd - light presses probably won't do much for people who aren't already bat shit strong.
If you do Bench (H), Press (L), CGBP (M), the presses are not meant to be light in the sense of low RPE, but rather you do them heavy, but a heavy press is much less heavy than a heavy bench and therefore constitutes a light variation of the bench. At least that is how Andy Baker uses the Press in HLM. The same goes for the front squat.
I don't disagree with that. However, I was talking about light as in the same movement with reduced load. Light competition bench (maybe 10% to 15% lighter than heavy day) probably isn't going to do jack for a 250 lb bencher, but probably will work for a 350 lb bencher.

unruhschuh

Post by unruhschuh » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:57 am

hector wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:42 am Unruhschuh, somebody needs to give you a medal.

I stole your spreadsheet. It's great. I'm going to implement your code to put tables in my log one day when I'm not lazy.
And I'm about to re-organize my training with your simplified schedule.

Thank you.
I'm glad I can help. I hope it works for you. Let me know if you need any help with the macro.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:20 am

Since someone always asks in Rip's Q&A, we may as well ask it here: where do you fit in the cardio?

I won't ask the one about what if you're a vegan.

unruhschuh

Post by unruhschuh » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:38 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:20 am Since someone always asks in Rip's Q&A, we may as well ask it here: where do you fit in the cardio?
Saturday. NEXT!
But wut abut preggos? Wutcha gonna doo? No train?

This gives me another idea for an article titled FuuuaaAarrrrrrQ.

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Post by d0uevenlift » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:03 pm

KyleSchuant wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:20 am Since someone always asks in Rip's Q&A, we may as well ask it here: where do you fit in the cardio?

I like doing LISS twice a week now on my non-lifting days... which is most days these days.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:19 pm

d0uevenlift wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:03 pm

I like doing LISS twice a week now on my non-lifting days... which is most days these days.
Is this before or after doing NESS protocol?

unruhschuh

Post by unruhschuh » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:24 pm

Hiphopapotamus wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:19 pm
d0uevenlift wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Is this before or after doing NESS protocol?
You can do a superset to save time.