Controversies in Olympic Weightlifting

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

damufunman

Re: Controversies in Olympic Weightlifting

Post by damufunman » Wed May 30, 2018 5:27 am

Marenghi wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:49 am Well, in this case it gets interesting because the prime movers for hip extension can be: hamstrings, adductors, glutes. So there is some wiggle room how to distribute the force between muscles that have similar tasks. And it makes sense to get the glutes on board as much as possible, because they are monoarticular muscles that also are quite powerful potentially. So if someone for whatever reason doesnt use them as much as he can, it may be a good idea to push their share.
But won't the monoarticular muscle group be the first to be used? How can one increase glute activation during a hip extension, in which the glutes aren't doing their fair share? Especially when this hip extension is accompanied by knee extension, thereby working against the hamstrings (which I would assume encourages the glutes to do as much as they can since the hamstrings will have a difficult time contributing if we also want strong knee extension)?
Low bar vs high bar:

High bar has a greater ROM for knee extension with a more acute knee angle. Strength is angle specific. If you need that angle in your comp lifts, it helps training it in your acc. lifts.

Low back stress is another point but could be remedied by pulling a little less.
The strength is [joint] angle specific confuses me with regards to high bar vs low bar. If the first pull is what we're trying to strengthen with squatting (I'm not sure it is, but I'm happy to be corrected), then low bar has more similar joint angles than high bar does. If it's the second pull (I'm pretty sure it is, this is where the majority of the power is applied), the time you're in that position, high bar and low bar seem very similar.
Well, there is no "non-specific strength". Strength is specific. So claiming high bar or low bar as "better for general strength" is pointless. The two variants present a small tradeoff between a little more quad ROM on the one hand, and a little more hip extension ROM on the other. As a non-oly lifter, it isnt much difference in the first place with no variant being superior generally and in isolation (we never do only one exercise). Meaning it above all depends on your goals, rest of the program, preferences, individual suitability which you choose. (FWIW - that was arguing with your claim ;) )

Re why not only front squat, but also high bar back squat for specificity: Yeah, FS would be even more specific - but unfortunately, in a practical sense, the limiting factor isnt quad strength. High bar can maximally train the quads in a similar ROM, whereas its hard to front squat heavy, often, with high volume with thoracic strength and endurance, bracing, stress on shoulders limiting the quad stress both short term in a session and long term throughout a program.
Back squats can be loaded quite a bit heavier than front squats, and I would argue that this points somewhat to general strength being a thing...
The "could be remedied by pulling a little less" comment was directed at IF you chose to train with low bar AND would experience too much low back stress. Sure, I think its a small advantage to be able to do more weightlifting specific pulling when doing high bar.
The point of low back stress I think makes the most sense for training high bar, in order to get more pulling volume in. I'm curious if the low back volume capacity (for handling lots of pulling plus lots of low bar squatting) can also be trained, as the Drs. have shown work capacity is trainable, similar to how @Austin mentioned he does about 70-80 deadlifts per week, much higher than the previously proposed by some 5-15.

Marenghi

Post by Marenghi » Wed May 30, 2018 5:56 am

damufunman wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:27 am But won't the monoarticular muscle group be the first to be used? How can one increase glute activation during a hip extension, in which the glutes aren't doing their fair share? Especially when this hip extension is accompanied by knee extension, thereby working against the hamstrings (which I would assume encourages the glutes to do as much as they can since the hamstrings will have a difficult time contributing if we also want strong knee extension)?
Good question. There are some studies where simply by focussing on a certain muscle group they could increase their share. Also, if your glutes are so weak theyre maxed out, they just cant produce more force. More glute max strength would help in that case. And Nuckols suggests https://www.strongerbyscience.com/high- ... tting-2-0/ for exactly the reason youre describing, the biarticular hams counteracting the quads in knee extension, the glutes do as much as possible (for example by not stressing using the hams even more (by a very inclined torso)).

-----------------------
The strength is [joint] angle specific confuses me with regards to high bar vs low bar. If the first pull is what we're trying to strengthen with squatting (I'm not sure it is, but I'm happy to be corrected), then low bar has more similar joint angles than high bar does. If it's the second pull (I'm pretty sure it is, this is where the majority of the power is applied), the time you're in that position, high bar and low bar seem very similar.
Its mostly quad hypertrophy in general (more ROM --> more hypertrophy) imo and the recovery position of the clean. I mean the snatch has a very acute knee angle, but not maximal knee extension demands considering the lower weight.

-----------------------
Back squats can be loaded quite a bit heavier than front squats, and I would argue that this points somewhat to general strength being a thing...
Agree with that, too. And I mentioned the different bottlenecks for front vs back squat. (Although technically, its of course not the weight per se that counts, but the force/torque/ROM demands for different muscles.)

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Wed May 30, 2018 6:31 am

Marenghi wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:56 am
damufunman wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:27 am But won't the monoarticular muscle group be the first to be used? How can one increase glute activation during a hip extension, in which the glutes aren't doing their fair share? Especially when this hip extension is accompanied by knee extension, thereby working against the hamstrings (which I would assume encourages the glutes to do as much as they can since the hamstrings will have a difficult time contributing if we also want strong knee extension)?
Good question. There are some studies where simply by focussing on a certain muscle group they could increase their share. Also, if your glutes are so weak theyre maxed out, they just cant produce more force. More glute max strength would help in that case. And Nuckols suggests https://www.strongerbyscience.com/high- ... tting-2-0/ for exactly the reason youre describing, the biarticular hams counteracting the quads in knee extension, the glutes do as much as possible (for example by not stressing using the hams even more (by a very inclined torso)).
So basically mind-muscle connection :D I wonder if the bar-hip contact is a way to, not exactly think about using your glutes, but to do a movement that actively maximally recruits them...
Its mostly quad hypertrophy in general (more ROM --> more hypertrophy) imo and the recovery position of the clean. I mean the snatch has a very acute knee angle, but not maximal knee extension demands considering the lower weight.
Yeah, good point about more ROM. The assertion that the increased load in low bar squat means the quads are seeing the same tension in low bar seems accurate, is the increase in ROM between stopping just below parallel, vs going to maximal knee flexion the important difference? If so, why not set up low bar and just go as deep as you can without relaxing things? Also, it seems that front squat strength is pretty closely correlated to what clean recovery looks like, and driving up front squat is more important than back squat.
Agree with that, too. And I mentioned the different bottlenecks for front vs back squat. (Although technically, its of course not the weight per se that counts, but the force/torque/ROM demands for different muscles.)

Marenghi

Post by Marenghi » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:32 am

So basically mind-muscle connection :D
It hurts to admit it, but yeah - all the time its been feeling your muscles. ;)
I wonder if the bar-hip contact is a way to, not exactly think about using your glutes, but to do a movement that actively maximally recruits them...
Sounds good. The often belittled hip thrusts activation reps could help, too.
is the increase in ROM between stopping just below parallel, vs going to maximal knee flexion the important difference? If so, why not set up low bar and just go as deep as you can without relaxing things?
ROM and torque, with lb having less knee torque werent there the counteracting force of the hams and roughly 10% higher bar weight. The comparison was between lb and hb to same depth. Ofc, if you choose a different depth, things change. Although its hard to go much deeper in a lb than parallel. And some torques even get smaller due to the rotational nature of the joints and some levers decreasing with greater depth.
Also, it seems that front squat strength is pretty closely correlated to what clean recovery looks like, and driving up front squat is more important than back squat.
Yes for specificity. The back squat can drive quad strength more easily than FS though (see my post citing DirtyRed from above).

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:45 am

damufunman wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:27 am The strength is [joint] angle specific confuses me with regards to high bar vs low bar.
I was always puzzled by that argument from Rip, since he mocked the joint-angle-specific argument that footballers (or whoever) spent much of their time on the field in a partial squat position, so they needed to do partial squats in the gym. So do we need to mimic the positions of the sport, or do we not?

I've no horse in the race either way, I just like consistency so I know WTF the person actually thinks.

Marenghi

Post by Marenghi » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:08 am

I dont think its an argument by SS. Afaik, they consistently claim strength to be general. Only some "coordination" or "skill" to be sports specific.

It was me who stated in the response to DirtyRed, who used a similar argument as SS, that all research on various topics shows strength is specific. Another flaw of their central thinking on exercise selection is that "highest weight" correlates perfectly with the actual demand on the muscles; that an exercise should incorporate the most muscle mass possible; at the same time having the longest ROM - and that there is one solution to these partially contradicting features.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:37 am

Marenghi wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:08 am I dont think its an argument by SS. Afaik, they consistently claim strength to be general. Only some "coordination" or "skill" to be sports specific.

It was me who stated in the response to DirtyRed, who used a similar argument as SS, that all research on various topics shows strength is specific.
I believe high bar and low bar are on equal footing here wrt Olympic lifting...
Another flaw of their central thinking on exercise selection is that "highest weight" correlates perfectly with the actual demand on the muscles; that an exercise should incorporate the most muscle mass possible; at the same time having the longest ROM - and that there is one solution to these partially contradicting features.
I'm not sure the first point is the case, but it's more of higher weight, moved more efficiently (loading the larger hips more) makes you more stronger-er. This line of thinking makes sense to me. Sure, the quads are in a better position and so are deemphasized a bit, but the increased weight on the bar makes up for that. But based on recent stuff on intensity not being as important as espoused over at SS, the argument for longer quad/knee ROM for high bar might be a better reason for it's quad jackedification superiority.
And yeah, some of the rules of how to determine a which lift to do are contradictory, and further, they don't seem to have a set heirarchy between most weight, longest ROM, most muscle mass, the longer ROM is generally inversely correlated with more weight. Although for general strength training (like for health, or GPP in preparation for sport) the most muscle mass makes sense, before getting into more specific work.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:50 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:45 am
damufunman wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:27 am The strength is [joint] angle specific confuses me with regards to high bar vs low bar.
I was always puzzled by that argument from Rip, since he mocked the joint-angle-specific argument that footballers (or whoever) spent much of their time on the field in a partial squat position, so they needed to do partial squats in the gym. So do we need to mimic the positions of the sport, or do we not?

I've no horse in the race either way, I just like consistency so I know WTF the person actually thinks.
The angles of joints during a Real Sport™ like American Football vary in such a broad range (considering the combinations here) that you would need to do all the lifts know to mankind in order to cover "joint-angle-specific". For example, a Linebacker goes through a lot of acute hip and knee angles before doing explosive extension (tackling, hit and shed - both from approaching and from a three point stance at the line of scrimmage). So much so that some coaches say that the Power Clean is The Most Important Lift for Linebackers™.

When it comes to the High-bar vs. Low-bar, I agree that the turning point of the battle is the lower back fatigue: more olympic lifts = more practice = more betterer technique. I'm not considering the injury/pain (shoulder/elbow) side of the fight.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:44 am

@Marenghi You made an interesting point in this thread which I think is relevant to the discussion here:
Marenghi wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:26 am - Hypertrophy is important. Important to drive strength gains indirectly via more muscle mass. And as hypertrophy is general (in contrast to strength) you simply can choose any rep number, or more likely: different rep numbers allowing you to generate the most volume.
Strength being specific vs general, why are we differentiating between strength and strength-via-hypertrophy? Don't they both contribute to being able to move more weight, and really how are they different? Say we're getting the same level of hypertrophy between high bar and low bar squats in the same muscle groups (I'm not saying we are) then wouldn't they have the same carryover?

Marenghi

Post by Marenghi » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:20 am

For hypertrophy mediated strength (potential) it indeed doesnt matter much. There is some interesting research about regional hypertrophy (different exercises causing hypertrophy at different sites within a muscle), but by and large, EMS probably can make you swole, too. So can steroids.

But strength adaptations are specific. I'll post some links later.

edit:
https://medium.com/@SandCResearch/what- ... f8adba8e8a
https://medium.com/@SandCResearch/how-d ... 85d7bb8c73
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhv7c0pH6NB ... abeardsley

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:26 pm

Marenghi wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:20 amBut strength adaptations are specific.
Define "specific."

Strength adaptations are absolutely not specific to any movement. This is easily proven by seeing how more squat and deadlift strength translates into a stronger golf swing, even though neither squats nor deadlifts even remotely resemble a golf swing. Any movement that strengthens a muscle strengthens that muscle in any movement the muscle is involved in. This is not arguable.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:13 am

I think, and this may have been in @Marenghi's links, that the general part of strength is going to come from hypertrophy, whereas the specific part is more related to motor patterning, and some of the stuff in the links, like movement speed, ROM, muscular coordination, etc (though I guess those can all be shoved under motor pattern).

Marenghi

Post by Marenghi » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:26 am

Its a bit more ...nuanced: For example, ROM can have both neurological and morphological consequences as shown in da links.

But a resounding yes to the first part re hypertrophy --> strength. A very impressive illustration of that for example in the classic steroid studies by Bhasin, where untrained people sat on their asses for weeks being given testosterone, and got as strong (and more muscular) as their non-treated counterparts who actually lifted.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:56 am

Intersting bit from above article:
Importantly, no model has yet explored the role of the adductor magnus, which is the primary hip extensor in the barbell squat
Maybe we need to cue "squeeze your adductors!!"

ETA: interestingly, this is what shoving your knees out at the bottom will accomplish... :geek:

ETA: These are some interesting articles, though he doesn't seem to site anything. But so far his arguments are compelling. Then again so were StSt's to me a couple of years ago...

Marenghi

Post by Marenghi » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:49 am

I noticed that myself when reading and asked Beardsley about it. He said he doesnt want to reference on medium.com because those articles are supposed to address a broad audience, but does it both on his (now I guess old) site (the first link I posted) and the infographics on instagram when discussing a study.

Ofc hes fallible and has biases as everyone has, but completely follows a scientific, evidence based approach (is part of the whole Nuckols Aragon Schoenfeld Helms Henselmans etc coaches-turned-scientists group). Should be different enough to StSt :) .

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:29 am

So, did they change the softsuit regs? I'm not complaining, just wondering.

Skander

Post by Skander » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:32 pm

KyleSchuant wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:29 am So, did they change the softsuit regs? I'm not complaining, just wondering.

You mean singlet regulations?

I think they have changed (halters aren't allowed randomly, you can cover knees and elbows if it's skin tight), but that particular style is more of a throwback to when there weren't women's singlets and they just wore bathing suits. And got creepily fondled by judges checking for "oil on their legs" (according to Ursala Garza).

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:45 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:29 am So, did they change the softsuit regs? I'm not complaining, just wondering.

yeah, that's a thing now:
some chalk it up as a throw back of their "roots" ... for respect to "remember where they came from"
(lol "a whole 9 months ago I was a *blank* now I am a WL instagram star")
An ex-diver/swimmer now weightlifter wears a shiny diving swimsuit in WL meet.
An ex-gymnast wears her gymnastic leotard, and so on.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:56 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:45 am

yeah, that's a thing now:
some chalk it up as a throw back of their "roots" ... for respect to "remember where they came from"
(lol "a whole 9 months ago I was a *blank* now I am a WL instagram star")
An ex-diver/swimmer now weightlifter wears a shiny diving swimsuit in WL meet.
An ex-gymnast wears her gymnastic leotard, and so on.
I might have to do a meet, then, and complain when they object to my golf shoes and rugby shorts.