Easy crockpot recipes thread

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

platypus
mammal?

Easy crockpot recipes thread

Post by platypus » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:37 am

Post your easy crockpot recipes here. The more the better.

platypus
mammal?

Re: Easy crockpot recipes thread

Post by platypus » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:37 am

Kalua pulled pork

I make this constantly, because it's about 10 minutes of total work and tastes awesome. And it has protein. #gains

Ingredients
- 5lb pork butt/shoulder
- liquid hickory smoke or mesquite
- salt

Tools:
some forks
a crock pot

Steps:
1) Put the pork butt in the crock pot and stab all over it with a fork. Make a bunch of little holes in the meat.
2) Sprinkle a bunch of salt all over the pork butt, then douse it with liquid hickory smoke.
3) Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 6 hours.
6) Pour out the liquid fat, if you want. Or leave it in there.
7) Use two forks to pull the pork into strands. Stab them both into the meat next to each other and pull them apart. Do this till it's all in strands.
8) Eat it.

If it doesn't pull easily you just need to cook it longer.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:18 pm

Beef Stew:

2 lbs beef (whatever’s on special)
4 -5 Carrots
4 potatoes
1 white onion
1 stalk celery (optional)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp each salt+pepper
1 clove garlic
1tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf

1. Cut the beef into cubes and toss it in the slow cooker
2. Mix the flour with the salt and pepper
3. Coat the beef in the flour mixture
4. Chop the veggies
5. Put remaining ingredients in pot
6. Stir

Cook 11-12 hrs on low or 5-6 hrs on high

Edit: I left out an ingredient. 1 14.5 oz can of beef broth. That’s important.
Last edited by BostonRugger on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:22 pm

BBQ pulled pork

2 lbs chicken
1.5 cups bbq sauce
.5 cups Italian dressing

5 hrs on low. Put in more or less of whichever ingredients. Very flexible. Make sandwiches, eat it over rice, whatever. Doesn’t get easier than this.

michael
Young Padawan

Post by michael » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:29 pm

BostonRugger wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:22 pm BBQ pulled pork

2 lbs chicken
1.5 cups bbq sauce
.5 cups Italian dressing

5 hrs on low. Put in more or less of whichever ingredients. Very flexible. Make sandwiches, eat it over rice, whatever. Doesn’t get easier than this.
But. But. There's no pork in it?

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:34 pm

michael wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:29 pm

2 lbs chicken
1.5 cups bbq sauce
.5 cups Italian dressing

But. But. There's no pork in it?
Like I said...flexible. I usually do chicken, but must’ve been distracted by our marsupial friend’s pork recipe above.

“BBQ pulled creature of your choice”

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:58 am

2 lbs chicken
1.5 cups bbq sauce
.5 cups Italian dressing

Chicken thighs? Because I've never had chicken breast in a slow cooker taste any good.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:31 am

@Allentown I use breasts for dat lean.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:16 am

I used to make this sometimes because it was *extremely* easy and was an easy topping for eggs and such.

Cut up a whole large onion. I usually used a red one.

Put a bunch of chicken thighs in a crockpot (I think I'd get the 5 lb w/ skin w/ bone packages at Meijer and just take the skins off). Alternate chicken thighs with onions.

Add your favored variety of hot sauce. Can be Tapatio, Cholula, whatever. If it was one of these, I'd usually use about half a bottle.

Cook on low overnight. Shred in morning. Add to eggs of any sort for extra protein.

michael
Young Padawan

Post by michael » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:54 pm

Allentown wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:58 am

2 lbs chicken
1.5 cups bbq sauce
.5 cups Italian dressing

Chicken thighs? Because I've never had chicken breast in a slow cooker taste any good.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:59 pm

michael wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:54 pm

2 lbs chicken
1.5 cups bbq sauce
.5 cups Italian dressing

Tacos or stir-fry. Sometimes grilled can be good.

SpinyNorman

Post by SpinyNorman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:17 pm

Allentown wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:59 pm
michael wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:54 pm

2 lbs chicken
1.5 cups bbq sauce
.5 cups Italian dressing

Tacos or stir-fry. Sometimes grilled can be good.
America's Test Kitchen has a good recipe for grilled chicken breast. Basically a quick brine then direct heat for a couple minutes a side for some nice grill marks and then indirect heat until up to safe temp. They included a bunch of glaze recipes one of which was a very tasty soy ginger glaze.

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:07 pm

Then you are doing it wrong or (probably) buying inferior chicken.

Put chopped onions and chillies in thick based pan and fry in a high smoke point oil until browned, add garlic and chopped root ginger, fry for a few more minutes, add the ground (you already did this right) cumin, coriander, cardamon, fenugreek, turmeric, garam massala, fry for a minute or two and then add water boil off the water and reduce the heat. Pour in the passata, add tomato puree and chicken stock cube, salt if desired. Add the sliced/cubed/whatever chicken breasts and put the whole lot in the fridge overnight.

Next day/week/whatever put it in the slow cooker on low, add some sultanas for the fun of it and just leave it, eight hours or so, you can't really overcook it.

Serve with naan.

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:11 pm

Since you used the word 'easy'.

Diced ox heart, cubed beef kidney, chop onions carrots, parsnips, leeks, anything that's handy. Add garlic, stock cube, a carton of passata, tomato puree, maybe some water. Top with dumplings made from self raising flower and good old suet (mix in mixed herbs if being a flash git). Cook for ten hours or so on low.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:11 am

chrisd wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:07 pm Then you are doing it wrong or (probably) buying inferior chicken.

Put chopped onions and chillies in thick based pan and fry in a high smoke point oil until browned, add garlic and chopped root ginger, fry for a few more minutes, add the ground (you already did this right) cumin, coriander, cardamon, fenugreek, turmeric, garam massala, fry for a minute or two and then add water boil off the water and reduce the heat. Pour in the passata, add tomato puree and chicken stock cube, salt if desired. Add the sliced/cubed/whatever chicken breasts and put the whole lot in the fridge overnight.

Next day/week/whatever put it in the slow cooker on low, add some sultanas for the fun of it and just leave it, eight hours or so, you can't really overcook it.

Serve with naan.
No, I don't marinate. That would probably help. I also don't slice/cube/anything it, I just dump some chicken into the slow cooker, pour salsa on top, and spend a week choking down salsa-scented dry chicken. That said, pork costs about the same, tastes better, and cooks easier, so I usually just use pork. Or thighs are cheaper and taste better.
SpinyNorman wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:17 pm America's Test Kitchen has a good recipe for grilled chicken breast. Basically a quick brine then direct heat for a couple minutes a side for some nice grill marks and then indirect heat until up to safe temp. They included a bunch of glaze recipes one of which was a very tasty soy ginger glaze.
I might actually get more propane, I cannot get excited enough about chicken breast to bother lighting my grill. I've just been baking it recently, when we decide we want something "healthier."

DCM

Post by DCM » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:32 am

Beef shin (or shank, as you folks call it) in red wine:

1. Sear about 2 lbs of well-seasoned meat (preferably as one big piece) in your fat of choice to get a nice brown exterior, then remove and set aside.

2. Turn the temperature down, add some chopped onion or shallots (1 large onion or a good handfull of shallots will do the trick) to the pan and sautee til transculscent. Add 3-4 cloves of grated garlic for the final minute or two.

3. Turn the temperature back up, add a heaped tablespoon of flour to the onions and garlic and stir it in throroughly til everything is nicely coated.

4. Now add around 1/2 to 2/3 of a bottle of red wine. In my experience, it should be wine you'd also be happy to drink. Deglaze the bottom of the pan, bring the wine to the boil, and then simmer to reduce it by about 1/3. At this stage you can add your choice of aromatics - I like a couple of bay leaves and a few sprigs of thyme.

5. Now put the meat back in the pan and add enough beef stock to nearly submerge the meat. Put a piece of grease-proof paper over the pot, then place the lid on top and bung that sucker in the oven for at least 5 hours, preferably 8-10, at around 120 degrees C (250 F) if it's a fan-assisted oven, or 140 degrees C (285 F) if not.

6.Remove from the oven and gently reduce the sauce on the stove top if required. Add more salt and pepper to taste. The meat should just fall apart. Serve with your choice of carb - mashed potatoes work great.