broseph
High Fiber

Re: For Your Health (a hunk's log)

Post by broseph » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:45 pm

12/13/22

Bench 315x1, 240x6x7, 1x12
(85%, 65%, H=485)

Chins BW+90x6x5

Musings: I forgot my phone at home this morning. It was a good thing.

I hate how much I look at my phone, and I believe it's the largest source of mindlessness (opposite of mindfulness) in my life. I'm not even looking at anything- I don't really participate in social media and I don't get many emails or texts. I'm just like, opening it and closing it. Checking the weather (again). Checking the news (again). Playing a few hands of cribbage. If I have a second's worth of downtime I feel like I need to be fingering that goddamn black box.

I couldn't believe how many times I reached for my back pocket today; and for no reason whatsoever. It was never like, "oh I should look that up" or "was that a vibration?" It was pure mindlessness.

I also have been tamagotchi-ing myself with the stupid thing. I never cared about how many steps I took a day, until I suddenly did. Now I feel like I'm missing precious step counts if I don't have my phone in my pocket when I walk from the fridge to the couch. Spoiler alert; I'm getting plenty of steps without even trying.

Also, I have a barely functioning iPhone 6-fucking-C. I thought staying off social media and not caring about the latest greatest device would be enough to keep me unzombified. Nope. I am not immune to the disease, and have been infected with its filth.

Obviously, it's not that big of a deal and all I have to do is not carry my phone all the time to break the silly habit. It's more that I'm pissed and disappointed with myself that I didn't realize how truly mindless I was being until now.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:00 am

12/14/22

CARDIO

Titan Bike x8:
0:30 on
2:30 off
32.7 mph
29 Cal/min

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:53 pm

12/14/22

Cap'n Crunch Oops All Accessories:

Supersetted x4:
Seated DB Press 50x11
Hanging Knee Raise x12
Standing Calf Raise +50x20

Supersetted x4:
Incline DB Curl 25x12
Incline Tricep Press 108x12

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:04 am

12/15/22

CARDIO

Titan Bike
25:00
20.4 mph
9.7 Cal/min

DCR

Post by DCR » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:15 pm

broseph wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:45 pm 12/13/22

I hate how much I look at my phone… If I have a second's worth of downtime I feel like I need to be fingering that goddamn black box.
I read less books now because when I get in bed I blow a half hour on my phonr, doing absolutely nothing, and then just roll over. It’s fucking disgusting.
I also have been tamagotchi-ing myself with the stupid thing. I never cared about how many steps I took a day, until I suddenly did. Now I feel like I'm missing precious step counts if I don't have my phone in my pocket when I walk from the fridge to the couch. Spoiler alert; I'm getting plenty of steps without even trying.
Same. Infuriated that having the flu cost me the yearly average that I (didn’t know that I) wanted.
I thought staying off social media and not caring about the latest greatest device would be enough to keep me unzombified.
Further same. I have no social media at all and never did. My time with the phone is beyond explanation.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:45 pm

DCR wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:15 pm
broseph wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:45 pmpocket computers are bad m'kay
If you're into reading, check out Digital Minimalism. It gives a nice framework for value-based consideration of when, how and why to let technology (that is more and more engineered to be attention-addictive) into your life.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:22 am

cgeorg wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:45 pm
DCR wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:15 pm
broseph wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:45 pmpocket computers are bad m'kay
If you're into reading, check out Digital Minimalism. It gives a nice framework for value-based consideration of when, how and why to let technology (that is more and more engineered to be attention-addictive) into your life.
Lol at paraphrasing.

I consider myself a minimalist in the most pragmatic sense, and was juuuuust looking for a new book to read. I’ll check it out.

Although, after only 2 days of digital mindfulness I’m already doing great.

alek

Post by alek » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:04 am

broseph wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:45 pm Musings: I forgot my phone at home this morning. It was a good thing.

I hate how much I look at my phone, and I believe it's the largest source of mindlessness (opposite of mindfulness) in my life. I'm not even looking at anything- I don't really participate in social media and I don't get many emails or texts. I'm just like, opening it and closing it. Checking the weather (again). Checking the news (again). Playing a few hands of cribbage. If I have a second's worth of downtime I feel like I need to be fingering that goddamn black box.

I couldn't believe how many times I reached for my back pocket today; and for no reason whatsoever. It was never like, "oh I should look that up" or "was that a vibration?" It was pure mindlessness.

Also, I have a barely functioning iPhone 6-fucking-C. I thought staying off social media and not caring about the latest greatest device would be enough to keep me unzombified. Nope. I am not immune to the disease, and have been infected with its filth.

Obviously, it's not that big of a deal and all I have to do is not carry my phone all the time to break the silly habit. It's more that I'm pissed and disappointed with myself that I didn't realize how truly mindless I was being until now.
I'm sorry that I'm late to this party, but the flu and I have been making out for a few days.

Amen, brother! The phones are addicting regardless of if you're on social media or not. Like DCR has said, even without it, I sometimes find myself spending more time on my phone than I'd like. For me, the most often used apps/things are Gmail, YouTube, and this forum--that's probably 90% of my phone usage right there. Wait... when I'm not laid up with the flu, I use the BBM app and the timer app about 5 hours per week, so maybe that other stuff is like 80% of my usage.

Irregardless, I still try to see a decrease in use week to week on that screen time report on Sunday. But amongst all the devices I have--phone, tablet, this desktop I'm typing on, a laptop--it's hard to not be on something at times. My job right now is almost entirely technology based, so I can't avoid them entirely.

But I do try to adhere to a few rules I've set for myself. They're probably similar to the ones in that book that was recommended.
1) I don't have my phone in my possession when my kids are awake and/or around. When I'm getting them down to bed, I'll have my phone on me, but otherwise, unless I'm actively talking on the phone or looking something up for them or about something we're actively doing, I just put it down and don't touch it. I'm very good with this one; not 100%, but this rule is the most successful. Or taking pictures; I use it for that when they're around.

2) Same as rule #1, but with my wife. Unless I'm using it to look something up about what we're doing, I leave it alone. Not as good with this one, but still pretty good.

3) I have the do not disturb setting on for 10 pm to 6 am every night. The only two people that I get notifications from are my wife and mother in law.

4) I don't have a smartwatch; I hate the things. I don't want to be getting notifications constantly (yeah, right. I almost never get a text or call from someone other than my wife) on my wrist.

5) I turn all notifications off on my phone--I get the vibrate alert for calls and texts, but no other notifications from apps or anything else.

6) I don't have any games on my phone. There are a couple kids apps: duolingo for kids and duolingo math for kids, but no "adult" games.

7) I'm vicious with saying email is spam.

...that sounds like enough right now.

Good luck with your ludditing.

Oh, speaking of books, I'm reading Being Mortal right now. All I gotta say is, when I get to the point where I need to go to a home, just hand me a weapon and let me sit in my backyard for a few minutes. Make sure to say your goodbyes.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:13 pm

@alek

My self chastisement was slightly tongue in cheek, but also I'm being a little hard on myself. For years now, I've basically done all the things you just described.

Always do not disturb.
Notifications only from calls and texts.
Email accounts are squeaky clean.
No watch connection.
No phones when I'm with my wife after the kids are in bed.
No hard rule, but I try to keep off my phone around the kids.

I recently changed my job description/hours and there is frequent little bits of down time. Everyone else just looks at their phones during downtime, and so was I. I was mostly reading books, but I still got into the habit of always checking the phone and mindlessly open/closing apps.

I just really really hate mindlessness. It's squandering the best thing about being human.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:54 pm

12/16/22

Bodyweight 190.0#

Squat 307.5x7x4
(75%, H=448)

Barbell Hip Thrust 145x4x8

-some easy sets of hanging knee raises and calf raises that warrant mentioning but not measuring-

Musings: There was a potluck at work today and all week I had been planning on not participating. I even packed a lunch this morning, but at the last minute, I picked up a bunch of ice-cream sandwiches and some diet soda so I didn't stand out (and because I wanted to drink Cherry Dr. Pepper Zero). I now feel guilty not only for giving in to the peer pressure, but also eating a bunch of bad macros that weren't even worth it. (@Renascent)

alek

Post by alek » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:01 pm

broseph wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:13 pm My self chastisement was slightly tongue in cheek, but also I'm being a little hard on myself. For years now, I've basically done all the things you just described.

Always do not disturb.
Notifications only from calls and texts.
Email accounts are squeaky clean.
No watch connection.
No phones when I'm with my wife after the kids are in bed.
No hard rule, but I try to keep off my phone around the kids.

I recently changed my job description/hours and there is frequent little bits of down time. Everyone else just looks at their phones during downtime, and so was I. I was mostly reading books, but I still got into the habit of always checking the phone and mindlessly open/closing apps.

I just really really hate mindlessness. It's squandering the best thing about being human.
Ah… my brain no work very good right now.

One thing I picked up from stoicism was constantly asking myself, “Is this necessary?”—be it a thought, word, or action. That really helped cut some fat in terms of mindlessness in many areas.

Culican

Post by Culican » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:34 pm

alek wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:04 am Oh, speaking of books, I'm reading Being Mortal right now. All I gotta say is, when I get to the point where I need to go to a home, just hand me a weapon and let me sit in my backyard for a few minutes. Make sure to say your goodbyes.
Thank you. I am currently half way through The Death of Ivan Ilylch so I figured the book you mentioned would be a good book to read along the same subject line so I purchased it. Interestingly the author of Being Mortal mentions the other book in his forward (which is all I have read so far).

At my employment my work group went into many assisted living, memory care, and nursing home type establishments. Most of us decided that if we had go into a place like that we would "take the cyanide*" first.

*In reference to the defendant who, upon hearing the word "guilty" in a Phoenix courtroom swallowed a cyanide capsule.
https://www.cnn.com/2012/07/10/justice/ ... index.html

alek

Post by alek » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:06 pm

Culican wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:34 pm
alek wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:04 am Oh, speaking of books, I'm reading Being Mortal right now. All I gotta say is, when I get to the point where I need to go to a home, just hand me a weapon and let me sit in my backyard for a few minutes. Make sure to say your goodbyes.
Thank you. I am currently half way through The Death of Ivan Ilylch so I figured the book you mentioned would be a good book to read along the same subject line so I purchased it. Interestingly the author of Being Mortal mentions the other book in his forward (which is all I have read so far).

At my employment my work group went into many assisted living, memory care, and nursing home type establishments. Most of us decided that if we had go into a place like that we would "take the cyanide*" first.

*In reference to the defendant who, upon hearing the word "guilty" in a Phoenix courtroom swallowed a cyanide capsule.
https://www.cnn.com/2012/07/10/justice/ ... index.html
The author mentions Ivan in several places throughout the book. And that cnn article was a fun read.

Maybe things will be better by the time I reach the point where I need 24 hour care, but just the sheer magnitude of the number of such people there will be makes it unlikely I’ll end up in a “good” home. I’m at a feel-good part of the book, but it’s definitely not the norm. I remember my 98 year old great grandfather on his deathbed after a stroke that finally put him in a home. He was still driving at 97. He said that being confined to a hospital bed is not a life. I believe it.

I like to think I can end it before I get to that point, but I imagine a lot of folks do. That was one thing about Sullivan I really liked—the compression of morbidity. Live an independent life as long as you can and then die quickly.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:27 pm

broseph wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:54 pmMusings: There was a potluck at work today and all week I had been planning on not participating. I even packed a lunch this morning, but at the last minute, I picked up a bunch of ice-cream sandwiches and some diet soda so I didn't stand out (and because I wanted to drink Cherry Dr. Pepper Zero). I now feel guilty not only for giving in to the peer pressure, but also eating a bunch of bad macros that weren't even worth it. (@Renascent)
Heh.

Sometimes the bad macros make good things happen.

I've PRed after eating sketchy pizza or rotel-and-nachos many times.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:32 pm

broseph wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:45 pmMusings: I forgot my phone at home this morning. It was a good thing.

I hate how much I look at my phone, and I believe it's the largest source of mindlessness (opposite of mindfulness) in my life. I'm not even looking at anything- I don't really participate in social media and I don't get many emails or texts. I'm just like, opening it and closing it. Checking the weather (again). Checking the news (again).
I typed a reply to this the other day, but my post got eaten and I lost patience.

I recently bought a (dumb) watch after making a similar observation.

I try not to bring my phone into meetings at work now, but I've noticed that folks get really skeeved out when I'm not spending downtime staring at my phone, and am simply observing people and things around me instead.

Same goes for grocery checkout lines. Without the phone, people start acting like they think I might rob them or something.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:17 am

Renascent wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:32 pm I try not to bring my phone into meetings at work now, but I've noticed that folks get really skeeved out when I'm not spending downtime staring at my phone, and am simply observing people and things around me instead.

Same goes for grocery checkout lines. Without the phone, people start acting like they think I might rob them or something.
I hate to sound like a red-pill (or is blue pill? which one means I'm better than everyone else?) douche, but it is hilarious how uncomfortable most people are with silence/low stim, and how especially uncomfortable they are around people who enjoy silence/low stim.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:57 am

12/17/22

Bench 310x6x2, 1x5
(85%, H=748)

Landmine Row 145x3x10, 1x14

Seated DB Press 50x3x11, 1x14

Supersetted x3:
Incline DB Curl 25x10
Incline Tricep Press 108x10

Musings: The children went outside today (after complaining about me not making pancakes for breakfast). One of them was going to use someone else's gloves because she lost hers. With some intensity, I explained the cost of gloves; I have to go to work to make money and my wife has to take that money and go to the store to buy gloves, and how both of those things feel like doing homework to us and we'd rather be doing just about anything else than working and going to the store, so no, you can't just forget about your lost gloves and take the other kid's pair. You have to wear the ratty old pair leftover from last year and if those get lost you're fucked you just won't have gloves. For your tale as old as time.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:04 pm

12/18/22

I felt kinda sick all day and even took a nap.

Squat 285x8x5
(70%, H=444)

Deadlift 350x6x4
(70%, H=267)

For your early christmas gifs.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:13 pm

12/19/22

I may have overdone it yesterday.

Spent the whole night going back and forth between chills and hot sweats accompanied by fever dreams, and felt like garbage this morning. Made it through work, had some diarrhea, and coughed up some brown chunks. I'm doing a bit of upper body work just to... I don't know, I just have to.

Bench 255x10x3
(70%, H=333)

Chins BW+90x6x3

Now I will cozy up and read.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:06 am

12/24/22

Looks like I was patient zero in our household flu epidemic. I've barely moved for the last few days. I thought I was feeling better enough to shovel the driveway (which had been snowmageddon-ed), but felt serious anxiety/impending doom for about 10 minutes upon completion of my task on account of the incurred metabolic debt.

I'm super sick of not moving, so let's try 60%x5x5;

Bench 225x5x5

Squat 255x5x5
It's cool how sometimes your hips pretend like they've never squatted before. To be fair, sitting on the couch for a few days probably helps them get into character.

Chins BW 5x5