Maureen's NLP Log

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Maureen's NLP Log

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:33 pm

chromoly wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:21 pm
Wilhelm wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:09 pm It's still baffling to me how people never use tape. But it's very common.
Maybe after my meet i'll try it.
I just didn't want any issues before then with tearing etc...
I have used athletic tape for my hook grip exactly once in my life and I hated it. The hook grip has a learning curve...

There are a bunch of articles about hook grip, but this one is the one that really taught me how to do it: https://www.elitefts.com/education/mons ... ationship/

The salient part:
The hook will “feel” fine for lighter weight that you can still hold with a double pronated grip, even if you are doing it incorrectly and not gripping it as tightly as you should. However, when the weight is greater than what your double pronated grip can hold, you have to grip that bar as if someone is trying to steal your paycheck in order for the hook to work properly. And with a tight—and I mean TIGHT—hook grip, you are smashing your own thumb to the deadlift bar. If you grab the bar with less than your tightest grip, the bar will smash your thumb as the bar is lifted, so now you have gravity, the barbell, and 700 pounds smashing your thumb. The tighter the grip of your hook, the less pain to your thumbs. Now, when I say “less” pain to the thumb, that is a relative term. The hook grip is not a pleasant grip. When I say that, I don’t mean a "going to the dentist" kind of unpleasant. I mean it is significantly unpleasant. You are going to have to mentally commit to this grip in order to do it. It is not like lifting sumo for a training cycle and then doing another training cycle with a conventional stance. This is like getting tattooed—you kind of just get through it.

That makes complete and excellent sense.
very timely for me as well.
Thank you, @chromoly

I read so many articles and thought i had gotten as much info as was out there.
That seems so key. Take the movement out of the equation before the bar does it for you.

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:41 pm

I'm getting used to the hook grip - again - ( or trying to learn how, again) and @Wilhelm and I had a discussion about it over at my log in December I think it was. I was bothered about that skin fold between the thumb and index finger in the beginning, because the bar wanted to turn on that skin fold, but then I figured it out and it's not a problem anymore. I use goat tape, a full width piece of tape around the thumb above the middle joint and a half width piece of tape between the middle joint and the thumbnail.

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:50 pm

Thanks for the hook grip link @chromoly, I'll save it together with my other hook grip how to links.

I have also found that gripping the bar really tight with the hook grip makes it easier and less painful.

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:04 pm

chromoly wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:21 pm There are a bunch of articles about hook grip, but this one is the one that really taught me how to do it: https://www.elitefts.com/education/mons ... ationship/
I had seen that quote, but in a different place - I hadn't read the whole article, though.

He says in the article that you must regrip after each rep. Do you all find that to be true? I did not do that.

Also, when reading about hook grip before trying it, I read one place that said if you have small hands (was it Paul Horn maybe?) you should shove the bar all the way into your um... flagina (really what IS the medical term for that fold between thumb and index?) and then grip. But if you have larger hands, maybe focus on setting your grip more like you would with a conventional grip (toward the fingers so you don't fold up skin at the top of your hand and tear calluses). I have E.T. fingers so I figured I'd go with the latter. I think I should have done the former.

@wilhelm
I only had waterproof medical tape at home which is not going to be ideal for something like this because it's too slippery. I can get the non-waterproof and try taping but I was just trying to get the idea down. With little weight on the bar, that's the time to figure it out. :)

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:08 pm

I really need to start trying without tape after the meet... I think.

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:25 pm

Last set of deadlifts from today 130x3

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:41 pm

I just jam the bar up as far as possible. For me, since I have small hands, the more of my index and middle finger that I can get around my thumb, the better. I am not sure if this is the same for someone with longer fingers.

I almost always reset my grip just a little-- if I get even a little loose, I need to reset. But it's not a complete reset where I take my hands off the bar, I just retighten my fingers around my thumb. Not the best views but look at my right hand between reps: and my left hand in this other video:

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:51 pm

laikabear wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:04 pm
He says in the article that you must regrip after each rep. Do you all find that to be true? I did not do that.

Depends on how heavy the lift is. For sets of fives I don't reset. For sets of twos I have to, because of the heavier weight.

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Post by d0uevenlift » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:39 pm

laikabear wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:22 pm Hi guys, thank you for the welcome!

I might take you up on the offer for a form check... I'm a bit shy of posting videos of myself but I really do need help.

I'm still struggling a lot with my squat form.
I can help you out with in-person form tweaks if you want.

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:34 am

d0uevenlift wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:39 pm I can help you out with in-person form tweaks if you want.
Wooooo, that would be really nice!

1-31-18

OHP: 45x5, 53x5x2, 53x7
Squats: 53x10x3

I wasn't going to squat at all today, both because my quad is still bothering me some, and because I'm short on time today (trying to get some shit done around the house). But I figured I had 53# just sitting there at press height, why not do just a few squats at that weight at least. So I did them in between press sets. Quad didn't hurt but then again it usually only starts hurting as I get up to 90 lbs or so.

OHP felt better today with trying JUST to keep my elbows forward and pulled in. I stopped trying to do "proud chest" which was making it hard for me also to brace abs and lumbar and clench butt... I also moved my grip in about 1/2". But, it still wasn't super easy or anything. I could only do 7 at the end. OTOH, I was doing 5 sets of 3 before I dropped the weight and started going back up, so 3 sets of 5+ is an improvement. I'll take it.

I got a terrible migraine yesterday painting my bathroom and it was wanting to come back this AM so I took a Maxalt before lifting. My head feels better but I would rather not lift after taking that...

Protein for the last few days: 110, 157, 105, 124, 136, 139g... that's better than before. Also, my dogs are loving getting tuna water or oil in their bowls, and getting to lick the empty yogurt containers... so it's a win-win. Last weigh-in was 150.2#.

JuniorMinion

Post by JuniorMinion » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:52 am

slowmotion wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:51 pm
laikabear wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:04 pm

Depends on how heavy the lift is. For sets of fives I don't reset. For sets of twos I have to, because of the heavier weight.
I reset during sets of five but just momentarily. I more find it helps me to confirm as a relative noob that I'm in the right starting position and I'm queueing everything properly in my head.

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Post by d0uevenlift » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:47 pm

Just let me know when!

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:45 am

2-2-18

Bench - 45x5, 64x5x2, 64x9, 64x7
Squat - 45x5, 65x5, 85x5, 95x5x3

Took video of bench today, ugh. Looks wobbly and basically terrible. This is a lift I have not sought any guidance on. I'm not even sure my feet are in the right place. I tend to have them pulled back, but then my heels are off the ground. This seems like it must be wrong. Today I tried putting them flat on the ground, but farther toward the back of the bench. IDK if that's any improvement. I can't bench very much weight so probably my ridiculous form has not been a problem yet.

I do have a guide on the ceiling for where the bar needs to end up at the top of each rep, but it feels like such a wide journey, meaning the bar is so far down my body at the bottom and so high up nearer my eyes at the top, that feels and looks like it must be wrong. ???

Tried squats again today. My left quad is feeling better but it was a little twingey on the sets of 95. I'd like that to stop now, so I can start adding some weight back to the bar. I feel like my squats never look nice and uniform (was that deep enough? did I have knee slide on that one rep?) When will I have enough experience / practice that all my reps basically look the same?

These form issues are... irritating to me that I haven't mastered them yet. I still enjoy lifting and am happy for the progress I've made so far, even though it isn't nearly as much progress as some of the other female lifters' that I follow.

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:22 pm

Is it cringe-worthy?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:29 pm

I think the bar is a little too high. High enough that you have to relax your upper back to fully extend. My guess is that your upper back needs to be tighter and you should work on extending your arms without your shoulder blades releasing from a retracted position.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:03 pm

laikabear wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:45 am This is a lift I have not sought any guidance on. I'm not even sure my feet are in the right place. I tend to have them pulled back, but then my heels are off the ground. This seems like it must be wrong. Today I tried putting them flat on the ground, but farther toward the back of the bench. IDK if that's any improvement. I can't bench very much weight so probably my ridiculous form has not been a problem yet.

I do have a guide on the ceiling for where the bar needs to end up at the top of each rep, but it feels like such a wide journey, meaning the bar is so far down my body at the bottom and so high up nearer my eyes at the top, that feels and looks like it must be wrong. ???

Tried squats again today. My left quad is feeling better but it was a little twingey on the sets of 95. I'd like that to stop now, so I can start adding some weight back to the bar. I feel like my squats never look nice and uniform (was that deep enough? did I have knee slide on that one rep?) When will I have enough experience / practice that all my reps basically look the same?

These form issues are... irritating to me that I haven't mastered them yet. I still enjoy lifting and am happy for the progress I've made so far, even though it isn't nearly as much progress as some of the other female lifters' that I follow.
I have been lifting since 2015 and I still feel like I haven't mastered the lifts. I am constantly making improvements in my form... it's not about being "perfect" or "textbook" but about making progress over time. Sometimes I compare myself to others and it can be a little disheartening, but at the end of the day, you can't think too much about that... just have to focus on making your own improvement.

The bench is a very technical lift, and technique varies significantly from one good bencher to another. You can have your feet flat on the floor or your heels up. It doesn't matter much unless you are competing. Have you looked at some of the bench press threads in the technique section? People have posted lots of good video guides.

Sirimiti

Post by Sirimiti » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:15 pm

Your grip width will determine how far down your body the bar goes. The bar hits right on my bra band.

Some people also put their feet up on the bench because of back problems.

I second the shoulder blade thing. It can take some practice to stop the shoulders from rolling forward, especially on hevoer weights.

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:29 pm

Well, IDK if it's getting aggravated by the bench press, or painting my bathroom (I'm left-handed), but the golfer's elbow in my left arm is back with a vengeance today. Dammit!

I am almost done with the painting and I found a crappy CVS elbow sleeve in the back of the closet so I am wearing that...

It could be worse. I actually fell off the ladder painting on Tuesday and luckily didn't injure myself. I did manage to hurl a container of paint as I fell, which got EVERYWHERE. It was kind of like when the elevator doors open in The Shining, except periwinkle blue. It took forever to clean it up, and much later I found that one of my dogs laid on the wet dropcloth I put outside and got paint all over herself. And by that I mean one of my coworkers asked me "What is all this blue stuff on Kate?"

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:29 pm

laikabear wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:29 pm Well, IDK if it's getting aggravated by the bench press, or painting my bathroom (I'm left-handed), but the golfer's elbow in my left arm is back with a vengeance today. Dammit!

I am almost done with the painting and I found a crappy CVS elbow sleeve in the back of the closet so I am wearing that...

It could be worse. I actually fell off the ladder painting on Tuesday and luckily didn't injure myself. I did manage to hurl a container of paint as I fell, which got EVERYWHERE. It was kind of like when the elevator doors open in The Shining, except periwinkle blue. It took forever to clean it up, and much later I found that one of my dogs laid on the wet dropcloth I put outside and got paint all over herself. And by that I mean one of my coworkers asked me "What is all this blue stuff on Kate?"
I ruheeely hate painting.
If that had happened to me, my cortisol levels would still be sky high.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:06 pm

laikabear wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:29 pm... I found that one of my dogs laid on the wet dropcloth I put outside and got paint all over herself. And by that I mean one of my coworkers asked me "What is all this blue stuff on Kate?"
"Kate started listening to metal, and I guess this was just the next step. Now she's dating a pitbull. I keep bringing her to church but it's not helping."