Grip training, what why how when

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

KoolaidMannn
ruff n tuff

Grip training, what why how when

Post by KoolaidMannn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:06 pm

Anyone else here train their grip regularly?

I usually just do red fat grips holds and C.O.C. After Cody convinced me I should be, and really found a liking for it. I also messed with a rolling thunder today, it seemed pretty cool but I would not be able to justify $120 purchase for it. So yeah tell me about ur forearms

Kregna

Re: Grip training, what why how when

Post by Kregna » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:28 am

Is this to improve your deadlift grip or just as a goal in itself? I've never found a need to train grip outside of deadlifts (my max deadlift can be done with a hook grip)

KoolaidMannn
ruff n tuff

Post by KoolaidMannn » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:15 am

For me it is just a goal in and of itself, I also pull hook grip

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:30 am

I've closed CoC 3 but not with a judge. I want to close that shit again and get my name in a book. I'm avoiding the grip stuff for now. It's rough on my forearm tendons. I can close 2.5 any day of the week.

Grip is fun.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:28 am

My goal is to get to the #3, someday. I can get the #2 closed with my right hand, and I am getting pretty close with my left. Because I am (hopefully) just starting to deadlift again after a bit of hiatus, I had been doing grip stuff during the day at work the day I planned to squat. Work my way up through the T, 1, 1.5, then just do sets of 5 with the number 2, doing the best I can. I was up to 7 sets on my other forum log, and wasn't seeing much progress. So I will be going to 3x5 on my "target" CoC (#2 right now) then doing solid back off reps with whatever # I need to actually get a good, clean close for 5 or 6.

Has anyone filed down the bottoms for "over-crush" or whatever? Working a bit of extra ROM on the warmup grippers seems like a decent idea.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:10 am

My buddy has a ton of grippers. I think he did file one.

Honestly just keep crushing them. I've also found the iron kind arm roller to be helpful too

I have rrbt some where. That got me to smash the 3(I have two 3s one is an old single stamp I can close all the time. The other is the one I failed to close with a ref. New from a package. That sucked. But it's way harder. )

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:46 am

RBBT? I also have the "Expand Your Hand" bands, I try and use them once a week.

cwd

Post by cwd » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:00 am

I can double-overhand pull 295x5. What Captains of Crush gripper should I start with?

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:26 am

cwd wrote:I can double-overhand pull 295x5. What Captains of Crush gripper should I start with?
Probably "trainer" or "sport". I think I had to use the trainer with a deadlift 1RM around mid-500s.

I saw this and thought it was interesting w.r.t. helping with deadlift grip (he said it didn't help when he had grip issues with 800+ deads):

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:00 am

cwd wrote:I can double-overhand pull 295x5. What Captains of Crush gripper should I start with?
Beginner Set, followed by the Men's set.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:29 am

Can anyone recommend training frequency, sets, and reps for CoC?

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:31 am

Phase 1
Day 1 : Sets to 100, 10-rep gripper

Day 2 : Sets to 100, 10-rep gripper

Day 3 : Rest, 5 singles, 5-rep gripper

Day 4 : Sets to 100, 10-rep gripper

Day 5 : Sets to 100, 10-rep gripper

Day 6 : Rest, 5 singles, 5-rep gripper

Day 7 : Sets to 100, 10-rep gripper

Day 8 : Sets to 100, 10-rep gripper

Day 9 : Rest, 5 singles, 5-rep gripper

Day 10 : Rest, 5 singles, 5-rep gripper

10-rep gripper = a gripper you can comfortably finish 10 reps with.
5-rep gripper = you get the idea.
Sets with the 10-rep gripper can be split up but each sitting should consist of at least 4 sets of 5 reps(this comes directly from the program manual).
You can spend all day, spacing the sets apart or just lump em all together and do it as fast as possible.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 am

Thanks! I will give it a shot! Figure it will be a cool party trick to explode an unopened beer can with my bare hands. Life goals...I don't have them.

cwd

Post by cwd » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:58 am

I spent hours removing staples with pliers from my living room floor after ripping out old carpet.

Could have used more grip strength, was failing towards the end. Am ordering grippers.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Idlehands wrote:I've closed CoC 3 but not with a judge. I want to close that shit again and get my name in a book. I'm avoiding the grip stuff for now. It's rough on my forearm tendons. I can close 2.5 any day of the week.

Grip is fun.
Yeah. For fucking real, I need to get the #3. I've been dicking around for years and am within like 2mm.

tersh

Post by tersh » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:19 pm

Manveer wrote: Probably "trainer" or "sport". I think I had to use the trainer with a deadlift 1RM around mid-500s.

I saw this and thought it was interesting w.r.t. helping with deadlift grip (he said it didn't help when he had grip issues with 800+ deads)
If you wanted to do grip training for the deadlift, wouldn't it need to involve holds for time with a gripper that's hard to close?

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:40 pm

Mike seems to favor static holds. That's the recommendation I got.

tersh

Post by tersh » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Manveer wrote:Mike seems to favor static holds. That's the recommendation I got.
That seems like it's the more specific training of the two, yeah.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:40 am

Manveer wrote:Mike seems to favor static holds. That's the recommendation I got.
My only thing against this as the primary way to train your grip is that isometric contractions are generally not as good as full ROM concentric/eccentric contractions.

Why don't we just do isometric quarter squats? Just do isometric rack pull? Just do isometric pin press?

Isometric shit is a great training tool, but it shouldn't be the only tool you use. It should be a supplement to your "main" lift/movement, not the main movement itself.

Isometric holds on a deadlift are sport specific, but my grip was vastly improved by going from closing the 0.5 to closing the 2.5, waaaay more than static holds would ever improve my grip.

This is my same argument for doing actual ab work if you want/need stronger abs. The abs are held in isometric contraction during the power lifts, sure, but they suck for building strong abs when compared to dragon flags or ab-may situps.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:13 am

Cody wrote:
My only thing against this as the primary way to train your grip is that isometric contractions are generally not as good as full ROM concentric/eccentric contractions.

Why don't we just do isometric quarter squats? Just do isometric rack pull? Just do isometric pin press?

Isometric shit is a great training tool, but it shouldn't be the only tool you use. It should be a supplement to your "main" lift/movement, not the main movement itself.

Isometric holds on a deadlift are sport specific, but my grip was vastly improved by going from closing the 0.5 to closing the 2.5, waaaay more than static holds would ever improve my grip.

This is my same argument for doing actual ab work if you want/need stronger abs. The abs are held in isometric contraction during the power lifts, sure, but they suck for building strong abs when compared to dragon flags or ab-may situps.
Since the great minds agree that you need direct ab work, I would hear this guy ^^^^ and do direct grip training.