Cinema Thread, because movies is a stupid word

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

dw

Re: Cinema Thread, because movies is a stupid word

Post by dw » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:27 am

I read a negative review that also commented on the lack of Bruce Wayne/Batman dichotomy (i.e. Bruce Wayne is just Batman with the mask off, not a false persona Batman adopts).

Maybe that was why I found Pattinson a bit boring. He's done brilliant work elsewhere though so it's not him.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:14 am

Shifting gears here...

I am now fully convinced this parental Christian outrage over that Turning Red movie is not only overstated (if not outright fake), but drummed up by Disney/Pixar themselves as a marketing campaign for what is otherwise a complete dud of a movie.

We watched it out of boredom and curiosity and if it weren't for the logos being slapped on at the beginning it you could easily mistake it for one of those Dreamworks/other no name production company bogus knockoff Pixar movies that always try to trick you into thinking they won't suck.

It was just super bland for a Pixar movie.

And yet, my social media feeds are completely awash in people tripping all over themselves gushing about how great it was and how ridiculous it is that people are so 'upset' by it.

Well played Disney. Well played.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:33 am

mouse wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:14 am Shifting gears here...

I am now fully convinced this parental Christian outrage over that Turning Red movie is not only overstated (if not outright fake), but drummed up by Disney/Pixar themselves as a marketing campaign for what is otherwise a complete dud of a movie.

We watched it out of boredom and curiosity and if it weren't for the logos being slapped on at the beginning it you could easily mistake it for one of those Dreamworks/other no name production company bogus knockoff Pixar movies that always try to trick you into thinking they won't suck.

And yet, my social media feeds are completely awash in people tripping all over themselves gushing about how great it was and how ridiculous it is that people are so 'upset' by it.

I didn't think it was a 10/10, but like definitely a 7/10. The friend group was really outstanding, and really stood out to me as a really good lesson for kids about self esteem and what makes a real friend.

Did anyone else watch the "Float" short? That was a fucking unexpected gut punch.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:43 am

hsilman wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:33 am I didn't think it was a 10/10, but like definitely a 7/10. The friend group was really outstanding, and really stood out to me as a really good lesson for kids about self esteem and what makes a real friend.
Best I can do is give it an "at least it wasn't Cars 2".

hector

Post by hector » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:33 am

mouse wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:14 am I am now fully convinced this parental Christian outrage over that Turning Red movie is not only overstated (if not outright fake), but drummed up by Disney/Pixar themselves as a marketing campaign for what is otherwise a complete dud of a movie.

Dead on.

Culican

Post by Culican » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:14 am

Speaking of Disney: Don't forget to pay your taxes

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:57 pm

mouse wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:43 am
hsilman wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:33 am I didn't think it was a 10/10, but like definitely a 7/10. The friend group was really outstanding, and really stood out to me as a really good lesson for kids about self esteem and what makes a real friend.
Best I can do is give it an "at least it wasn't Cars 2".
It was better than Book of Boba Fett, and gave me a little nostalgia for the 90s. Kids didn't mind but never got hooked. Probably won't get a second view.

I can absolutely see the "controversy" being real, though, because I've heard those exact words spoken about movies/shows before.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:18 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:57 pm and gave me a little nostalgia for the 90s.
Somehow I managed to miss that it was set in the early 2000's and was very very confused as to why Tamagotchi was a thing and kids kept saying 'da bomb'. Some cheap nostalgia in that I remember going to see Metallica at the SkyDome during the 2003 SARS epidemic in Toronto... fun to look back on that given current events/attitudes...
Allentown wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:57 pm I can absolutely see the "controversy" being real, though, because I've heard those exact words spoken about movies/shows before.
It may be real controversy for some people, but I'm convinced it was a targeted marketing ploy.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:57 am

I finally got to watch Batman...

As was expected, I thought it was really really good.

If we're honest though, it could have been 20-30 minutes shorter. Hell, even speeding up some of the painfully slow dialogue (we get it, you're brooding) could have shaved off a good 10 minutes alone...

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:47 pm

There have been a lot of films recently where I wish they were actually film so studios would do a better job editing to save costs.

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri May 06, 2022 4:39 pm

Multiverse of Madness is fucking dope ya'll.

Marvel gave Raimi the keys to the car and he did a bunch of fucking donuts in their front yard...

dw

Post by dw » Tue May 10, 2022 12:17 pm

Saw the Northman which I was expecting to like.

Wasn't too impressed. Yes period detail was nice and the action was neat but the story itself ultimately felt too modern, as is almost always the case with movies in ancient settings. What's her name turns out to be a 9th century manic pixie girl and the pagan berserker finds out the true meaning of life is....family.

Maybe it's me, I haven't really enjoyed a movie in a long time. I actually liked Black Hat on Netflix (or Prime? I forget) more than anything recent I can remember.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue May 10, 2022 12:48 pm

dw wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:17 pmWasn't too impressed. Yes period detail was nice and the action was neat but the story itself ultimately felt too modern, as is almost always the case with movies in ancient settings. What's her name turns out to be a 9th century manic pixie girl and the pagan berserker finds out the true meaning of life is....family.
Revenging family?!?

dw

Post by dw » Tue May 10, 2022 12:50 pm

aurelius wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:48 pm
dw wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:17 pmWasn't too impressed. Yes period detail was nice and the action was neat but the story itself ultimately felt too modern, as is almost always the case with movies in ancient settings. What's her name turns out to be a 9th century manic pixie girl and the pagan berserker finds out the true meaning of life is....family.
Revenging family?!?

Revenge for the sake of family instead of for its own sake. ("Killing for naught" as Bjork said.)

dw

Post by dw » Tue May 10, 2022 12:54 pm

dw wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:50 pm
aurelius wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:48 pm
Revenging family?!?

Revenge for the sake of family instead of for its own sake. ("Killing for naught" as Bjork said.)

Another example of how modern the morality of the movie was:

Massive spoiler
SpoilerShow
Note that he slays his mother and adolescent half-brother (soooo pagan!) but both of them essentially by accident in reflexive self-defense. Why can't the writers give us a protagonist who is simply brutal like Homer's Achaeans?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue May 10, 2022 5:44 pm

mouse wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:39 pm Multiverse of Madness is fucking dope ya'll.

Marvel gave Raimi the keys to the car and he did a bunch of fucking donuts in their front yard...
I thought it was pretty good, although I’m growing weary with some of the Marvel stuff. This was a good entry, overall.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue May 10, 2022 5:48 pm

In other news, I hope this becomes a reality…

https://www.polygon.com/23044564/robote ... as-hawkeye

I think we’re finally at the stage where some kickass mecha movies can be done artfully. Robotech/Macross has a lot of solid source material and would be a fun ride in the theatre.

Plus, maybe they’d release some modern Valkyrie stuff so I can add to my collection.

TimF

Post by TimF » Wed May 11, 2022 6:46 am

Everything Everywhere All At Once was the best movie I've seen in a long time. The editing was superb and they nailed everything they set out to do. I can't recommend it enough.

Spoiler for those that have seen it:
SpoilerShow
For all the absurdity in the movie, the emotional beats were so well done. I went from laughing at hot dog fingers, to crying watching a rock chase another rock, back to laughing at "raccoontouille", and then sobbing at "In another life I would have loved doing laundry and taxes with you." Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan crushed it.
I also was not impressed with Turning Red. It was decent, nothing special. Encanto on the other hand is fantastic. The songs, the colors, the story. It was on repeat in our house for a while.

hector

Post by hector » Wed May 11, 2022 3:37 pm

Tried watching the new Batman again. Couldn't make it past 30 minutes. Boring.

Saw the new Dr Strange. Loved it. Best Marvel movie in awhile.

dw

Post by dw » Wed May 11, 2022 5:07 pm

hector wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:37 pm Tried watching the new Batman again. Couldn't make it past 30 minutes. Boring.

Saw the new Dr Strange. Loved it. Best Marvel movie in awhile.
I was stuck out of town and considered watching it again but this is what I feared. Is it just my imagination or is it paced almost like a Netflix series rather than a movie? It would be great to soak it in at home, taking pauses here and there to get a bite and discuss it. But sitting through it straight again...I don't think so.