Cinema Thread, because movies is a stupid word

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mouse

Re: Cinema Thread, because movies is a stupid word

Post by mouse » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:08 am

JonA wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:11 am
omaniphil wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:54 pm I'm watching Matrix at home on HBO Max and I'm about 30 minutes into it. I think Lana Wachowski was hitting some of that psilocybin that @Hanley keeps mentioning when she was making this movie.
Haven't decided if I'm going to watch that yet or not. Absolutely loved the first one, but kinda felt the rest were a downward trend. Is it at least entertaining?
I read a synopsis and it sounds dumb and/or needlessly confusing...

I'll get it bored and watch it at some point.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:35 am

omaniphil wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:54 pm I'm watching Matrix at home on HBO Max and I'm about 30 minutes into it. I think Lana Wachowski was hitting some of that psilocybin that @Hanley keeps mentioning when she was making this movie.
Haven't decided if I'm going to watch that yet or not. Absolutely loved the first one, but kinda felt the rest were a downward trend. Is it at least entertaining?
I enjoyed it, but it definitely was in the same class as the last movie, and not even as good as Reloaded. It was a little slow and the action was meh, but there was enough fan service to keep it enjoyable.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:07 pm

Matrix: someone needed money

I knew it would not be a 'great' story with some messy plot points but fine. My biggest complaint is this was not a Matrix movie. The action sequences could have been from any Marvel movie the past 15 decades. The stylistic Kung-fu action with wire work and dramatic use of slow and sped up shots was not used. Just a generic action flick with a Matrix coating.

Glad I saw it. Won't see it again. If you are feeling nostalgic, rewatch the Matrix*.

*I rewatched the Matrix (the new 4K version) before watching this one.

hector

Post by hector » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:03 pm

mouse wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:08 am

I was thinking the same thing.
Saw first 40 minutes. I like it so far.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:28 pm

mouse wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:33 pm Spiderman is really, really, really good...

My opinion, but Willem Dafoe has achieved Heath Ledger/Joker status with Green Goblin with this...
Coming back to agree with this post.

It’s not the best plot or anything, but it’s a damn fun movie and they did a bang up job playing up to the hype.

End credits stuff also leads to some interesting ideas. Specifically ties in the Disney+ series into the next Dr. Strange movie.

I was really concerned with the genre after watching The Eternals… that’s a movie that got messed up in process and didn’t focus on the interesting characters.

Anyhow, there’s a reason SMNWH has made $813 million as of me writing this. It’s worth seeing.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:35 am

Agree, Spider-Man was fantastic

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:35 pm

hector wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:03 pm

I read a review of it. Sounds lousy, but it also sounds like Wachowski only did it to keep the film company from doing it on their own - and I'm pretty sure I know how that would have gone.

hector

Post by hector » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:13 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:35 pm
hector wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:03 pm

I read a review of it. Sounds lousy, but it also sounds like Wachowski only did it to keep the film company from doing it on their own - and I'm pretty sure I know how that would have gone.
I heard a critic say it's not at all a great movie. But it's fascinating. I'm agreeing so far. I enjoy it.

But im biased because I'm a huge Keanu fan.

I thought maybe the film would have overtly hyper-progressive themes after hearing the writers talk about it. I don't think it does. At least not in the simple, brainless, preachy way I was worried about.

Culican

Post by Culican » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:51 am

--wrong thread--

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:51 am

I thought the Matrix movie was terrible. The needlessly meta callbacks that were literally the first 90 minutes of the movie fucking sucked and were extremely hamfisted. I get it, we all remember the Matrix. But what about this movie?

If you can name more than 3 people in the warehouse fight I'd be amazed. None of the characters had any depth or anything that made me care about them or make them memorable. It was basically the episode 7, just a shot for shot remake of the original.

And don't even get me started on the cover song for the end credits. That actually made me angry. Though to be fair, it was the last straw of a movie I wished I hadn't wasted my time watching.

However, I am looking forward to making Virgin Tom Anderson vs Chad husband memes. Got a good laugh out of that one.

inb4 And? inb4 "Sir, this is a Wendy's"

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:18 am

hsilman wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:51 am I thought the Matrix movie was terrible. The needlessly meta callbacks that were literally the first 90 minutes of the movie fucking sucked and were extremely hamfisted. I get it, we all remember the Matrix. But what about this movie?

If you can name more than 3 people in the warehouse fight I'd be amazed. None of the characters had any depth or anything that made me care about them or make them memorable. It was basically the episode 7, just a shot for shot remake of the original.

And don't even get me started on the cover song for the end credits. That actually made me angry. Though to be fair, it was the last straw of a movie I wished I hadn't wasted my time watching.

However, I am looking forward to making Virgin Tom Anderson vs Chad husband memes. Got a good laugh out of that one.

Yes to all this. I’m a huge Matrix fan and even defend the 2nd and 3rd movies. But this one sucked.

Fight choreography sucked. Character development sucked. WAY too much (attempted) humor. The flashbacks were jarring and cheap. Since I didn’t care about any of the characters, I never felt a sense of urgency or suspense. Tons of other things sucked, but I don’t feel like internet ranting an entire wall of text.

Neo questioning and dealing with “reality” was the best part of the movie, and was the only thing that felt connected to the trilogy.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:17 am

mouse wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:33 pm Spiderman is really, really, really good...
really?
SpoilerShow
My daughter mentioned some shit about they (Dr.Strange?) brought the other retard-spidermans, from the previous films/brands, in from alternate universes ?

...in general, she said it sucked

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:56 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:17 amother retard-spidermans
Tobey McGuire/Sam Raimi Spiderman is the best spiderman.
1) Spiderman 1 and 2 are objectively good movies. How many superhero movies can make that claim :lol:.
2) Spiderman 1 and 2 are the best Spiderman movies ever made. See 1). The other best Spiderman is animated.
3) Spiderman 1 and 2 are easily in the top 5 best superhero movies ever made. See 1). Spoiler: No Disney Marvel movie makes that list.
4) Spiderman 2 might be the best sequel movie ever made.

Kevin Feige of Marvel is making the claim Spiderman: Something about homes (this is the third home theme-ed movie: are the movies about the housing market crisis?) is a contender for best movie because of how much money it has made. Even he doesn't pretend it is a good movie. His/Disney's argument:

Disney Marvel movies are not objectively good movies. They are fan service fantasies in the guise of a spectacle filled popcorn flick. Great entertainment...not great art and/or story telling.

If your daughter is a Spiderman fan, have her watch Toby McGuire/Sam Raimi's Spiderman 1 and 2. Skip 3 as it was something Sony had to put out to keep the rights and Raimi et al were obligated to be in.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:03 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:17 am*worst kept secret in all of MCU*
I had fun watching it and sure Marvel loves that cash but I hadn't been in a legit theater in nearly 2 years and I'm a sucker for those cheap laughs and member-berries...

I think the people really dogging it either a) aren't old enough to have lived the Raimi trilogy so they don't appreciate the taste of member-berries or b) are dogging Marvel as a whole and using the movie as their whipping boy.

But yes I agree Spider-Raimi 1/2 are the best... hence why I was sympathetic to this one, with the focus being on Doc Ock and getting that sweet sweet redemption for Willem Dafoe's power ranger look...

quikky

Post by quikky » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:26 pm

broseph wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:18 am
hsilman wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:51 am I thought the Matrix movie was terrible. The needlessly meta callbacks that were literally the first 90 minutes of the movie fucking sucked and were extremely hamfisted. I get it, we all remember the Matrix. But what about this movie?

Yes to all this. I’m a huge Matrix fan and even defend the 2nd and 3rd movies. But this one sucked.

Fight choreography sucked. Character development sucked. WAY too much (attempted) humor. The flashbacks were jarring and cheap. Since I didn’t care about any of the characters, I never felt a sense of urgency or suspense. Tons of other things sucked, but I don’t feel like internet ranting an entire wall of text.

Neo questioning and dealing with “reality” was the best part of the movie, and was the only thing that felt connected to the trilogy.
Agreed with all of the above. It felt like the first episode of a mediocre Matrix spinoff TV show. The disappointing thing is that the Matrix universe has so much potential for amazing stories. The whole "are we living in a simulation?" part is pretty hot right now, and with solid writing could make for an excellent new trilogy, much less a single new movie. This felt like it was written by a high school student for his philosophy class.

What is real?

Feelings and love.

What are feeling and love? Are they human? What is human?

A spoon?

Trinity!

Cute robots.

TRINITY!!!

Love.

The end.

-------

Oh and wtf is with the crazed hobo merovingian? That was stage IV cringe.

JonA

Post by JonA » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:49 pm

aurelius wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:56 pm 1) Spiderman 1 and 2 are objectively good movies. How many superhero movies can make that claim :lol:.
2) Spiderman 1 and 2 are the best Spiderman movies ever made. See 1). The other best Spiderman is animated.
3) Spiderman 1 and 2 are easily in the top 5 best superhero movies ever made. See 1). Spoiler: No Disney Marvel movie makes that list.
4) Spiderman 2 might be the best sequel movie ever made.

5) NIckelback sang the theme song.
Sorry, just trying to get my quota of Chad Kroeger references in for the year.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:28 pm

hsilman wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:51 am I thought the Matrix movie was terrible. The needlessly meta callbacks that were literally the first 90 minutes of the movie fucking sucked and were extremely hamfisted.
Oh, I liked it. I thought the schtick you object to above was just the writers having fun with postmodern (now tired & ancient) ironic tropes.

Oh look...

We're

Breaking

Down

The

4th

Wall.

Kinda camplicious.

GrainsAndGains

Post by GrainsAndGains » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:00 am

Not being able to see No Way Home is killing me. Fuck Omicron.

I think I really liked The Matrix Resurrections. It has a playfulness and irreverence that I found to be extremely refreshing, especially after rewatching the incredibly dour and deadly serious Reloaded and Revolutions. The action scenes are definitely a step down as others have mentioned but I enjoyed the story and characters enough to where I didn't care.

Some great new characters, which I wasn't expecting. The Analyst was awesome - re-imagining the Architect as cynical psychotherapist who is more concerned with feelings and stories than logic and structure was a stroke of genius. Jonathan Groff doing Agent Smith as a Silicon Valley tech bro was fun, Yahya Abdul-Mateen had a great take on Morpheus, and I even liked the new real world characters - Jessica Henwick seems incapable of giving an unmemorable performance, she was solid as Bugs.

In a lot of ways it was the movie The Last Jedi thought it was. Both were subversive attempts to do something new but unlike The Last Jedi this one wasn't weighed down by its attachment to a pointless new trilogy that didn't have a worthwhile story to justify its existence.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:40 pm

https://collider.com/indiana-jones-5-fi ... ison-ford/

This has a comical headline. Long awaited? No. I'm a pretty big fan of the three Indiana Jones films, and I can safely say I have no interest at all of seeing a new one. 0.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:14 pm

Allentown wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:40 pm https://collider.com/indiana-jones-5-fi ... ison-ford/

This has a comical headline. Long awaited? No. I'm a pretty big fan of the three Indiana Jones films, and I can safely say I have no interest at all of seeing a new one. 0.
Wow. Way to waste money.

When I see stuff like this, it really makes me wonder how thought constrained Hollywood has become.