Rack Pulls and Back Pain

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

omaniphil

Rack Pulls and Back Pain

Post by omaniphil » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:25 pm

I've been fighting some non-specific, dull, low back pain the last week or two that I have mostly just assumed has been due to fatigue, poor recovery, etc. It was pretty bad today though while I was doing rack pulls, and since I haven't done many rack pulls at all, just want some affirmation that I haven't messed something up due to poor form. It doesn't actually hurt during the sets, but the pain sort of sets in after the set.

Here's a clip of my second set at 405. I tried an earlier set with a belt, and then I did my sets at 405 beltless to see if that helped anything at all, and actually the pain was less intense, for whatever thats worth.

ShuggyBear

Re: Rack Pulls and Back Pain

Post by ShuggyBear » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:01 pm

I've tweaked my lower back a couple of times from doing rack pulls. I like to work them with the bar 12 to 16 inches off the floor, and that throws almost all of the stress on the lower back because there is very little leg involvement. I think they are a good assistance exercise, but you have to be careful.

william5

Post by william5 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:47 pm

omaniphil wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:25 pm I've been fighting some non-specific, dull, low back pain the last week or two that I have mostly just assumed has been due to fatigue, poor recovery, etc.
I am also thinking this is due to heavy lifting and I am considering to buy this mattress lifter tool to help me with changing sheets every morning. It was pretty bad today though while I was doing rack pulls, and since I haven't done many rack pulls at all, just want some affirmation that I haven't messed something up due to poor form. It doesn't actually hurt during the sets, but the pain sort of sets in after the set.

Here's a clip of my second set at 405. I tried an earlier set with a belt, and then I did my sets at 405 beltless to see if that helped anything at all, and actually the pain was less intense, for whatever thats worth.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been experiencing some low back pain. It's great that you are taking precautionary measures to make sure you aren't hurting yourself.

Looking at your video, it looks like your form is good. However, it's possible that the weight is too heavy for your back. I would recommend doing some lighter sets, with a belt, to see if the pain subsides. Additionally, make sure to stretch out your back before and after each set, as well as foam roll your back.

I hope this helps and please let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:09 pm

william5 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:47 pm
omaniphil wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:25 pm I've been fighting some non-specific, dull, low back pain the last week or two that I have mostly just assumed has been due to fatigue, poor recovery, etc.
I am also thinking this is due to heavy lifting and I am considering to buy this mattress lifter tool to help me with changing sheets every morning. It was pretty bad today though while I was doing rack pulls, and since I haven't done many rack pulls at all, just want some affirmation that I haven't messed something up due to poor form. It doesn't actually hurt during the sets, but the pain sort of sets in after the set.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been experiencing some low back pain. It's great that you are taking precautionary measures to make sure you aren't hurting yourself.

Looking at your video, it looks like your form is good. However, it's possible that the weight is too heavy for your back. I would recommend doing some lighter sets, with a belt, to see if the pain subsides. Additionally, make sure to stretch out your back before and after each set, as well as foam roll your back.

That post being over 5 years old, I would bet he has moved on from it by now. If he hasn't, his hips are too far forward and probably a little too high but it is unlikely to have anything to do with the pain. It sounds like he just needs a little deload to allow recovery.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:23 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:09 pm
william5 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:47 pm
omaniphil wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:25 pm I've been fighting some non-specific, dull, low back pain the last week or two that I have mostly just assumed has been due to fatigue, poor recovery, etc. It was pretty bad today though while I was doing rack pulls, and since I haven't done many rack pulls at all, just want some affirmation that I haven't messed something up due to poor form. It doesn't actually hurt during the sets, but the pain sort of sets in after the set.

That post being over 5 years old, I would bet he has moved on from it by now. If he hasn't, his hips are too far forward and probably a little too high but it is unlikely to have anything to do with the pain. It sounds like he just needs a little deload to allow recovery.
I think Mr William5's main purpose in commenting was to insert a spam link into my quoted text. That being said, yes, it's been 6 years and it turns out, I was fine and just had some fatigue built up.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:49 am

omaniphil wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:23 pm I think Mr William5's main purpose in commenting was to insert a spam link into my quoted text. That being said, yes, it's been 6 years and it turns out, I was fine and just had some fatigue built up.
But has the mattress lifter made your daily sheet changes easier?!

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:05 am

cgeorg wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:49 am
omaniphil wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:23 pm I think Mr William5's main purpose in commenting was to insert a spam link into my quoted text. That being said, yes, it's been 6 years and it turns out, I was fine and just had some fatigue built up.
But has the mattress lifter made your daily sheet changes easier?!
You better believe it. With that and MyPillow, I get a great nights sleep, and the easiest bed making routine you can imagine.