Fixing a lagging DL...

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Hamburgerfan
Possibly Vegan

Re: Fixing a lagging DL...

Post by Hamburgerfan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:22 pm

I think if someone rounds their back with heavy weights then they need to strengthen their round back position, or else they will be weak forever with heavy weights. That doesn't mean form can't be adjusted over time to something closer resembling the "ideal," but ending the set at the first sign of back rounding is a good way to make zero progress.

OCG

Post by OCG » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:40 pm

As a more long torso'd short arm kinda guy, it is tremendously important, and terribly hard, for me to get tighter than tight and valsalva more epically than the Edda. This is... difficult to do consistently.

topfen

Post by topfen » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:18 am

Hanley wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:21 pm
AaronM wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:08 pm I don't know much about these things, but is there a possibility that this special person just needs to pull sumo?
Maybe. I've trained a few outlying long-torso and short-armed peeps. I haven't figured out what's so fucked with this anthropometry using conventional pulling...but something's totally fucked. It's not a "weak lower back". I had one dude who could literally not reach the bar without t-spine flexion*. It's as if the stick figure trigonometry just doesn't work out.

*I first met him at a Seminar (Kyle S was there, too, as a matter of fact...maybe he knows who I'm talking about). No magic happened. Every single one of his pulls at the Seminar involved significant t-spine flexion.
Couldn't people like that simply pull from a raised position (rack/block pulls) if they are training for general strength and not for powerlifting? The range of motion and work done during a deadlift varies between individuals anyways. I assume someone who can' even grab the bar with a straight back wouldn't loose out on much back strength if he can pull with a set back by raising the bar for 10cm/4inches or whatever is needed.

perman

Post by perman » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:17 am

topfen wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:18 am Couldn't people like that simply pull from a raised position (rack/block pulls) if they are training for general strength and not for powerlifting? The range of motion and work done during a deadlift varies between individuals anyways. I assume someone who can' even grab the bar with a straight back wouldn't loose out on much back strength if he can pull with a set back by raising the bar for 10cm/4inches or whatever is needed.
If you are training at a variety of gyms, or even at the same gym, pulling from consistent height set-ups can be a hassle though (just purely from my experience with rack pulls) depending on the gyms, and doing sumo if it works is far simpler. Choosing a pull of the floor sounds as my main pull is far more appealing to me at least, rack/block pulls inherently "feel" like assistance lifts.

topfen

Post by topfen » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:26 am

perman wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:17 am
topfen wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:18 am Couldn't people like that simply pull from a raised position (rack/block pulls) if they are training for general strength and not for powerlifting? The range of motion and work done during a deadlift varies between individuals anyways. I assume someone who can' even grab the bar with a straight back wouldn't loose out on much back strength if he can pull with a set back by raising the bar for 10cm/4inches or whatever is needed.
If you are training at a variety of gyms, or even at the same gym, pulling from consistent height set-ups can be a hassle though (just purely from my experience with rack pulls) depending on the gyms, and doing sumo if it works is far simpler. Choosing a pull of the floor sounds as my main pull is far more appealing to me at least, rack/block pulls inherently "feel" like assistance lifts.
Makes sense. Getting it right every time could be a problem. I figured the sumo DL reduces the ROM and demands on your back even more than rack/block pulls. No idea how relevant this is.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:22 am

topfen wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:18 amCouldn't people like that simply pull from a raised position (rack/block pulls) if they are training for general strength and not for powerlifting? The range of motion and work done during a deadlift varies between individuals anyways. I assume someone who can' even grab the bar with a straight back wouldn't loose out on much back strength if he can pull with a set back by raising the bar for 10cm/4inches or whatever is needed.
But why not just skoot the outlier's feet a bit wider and have him pull that way? (ie a Coan narrow "sumo" stance). "Conventional" vs "sumo" strikes me as an arbitrary distinction.

ETA: There's no deep significance to the hip position in the "standard pull position". It's determined by the form of a barbell. Standard pull position in the real world (using "real" heavy-ass objects) is almost invariably "sumo".

Just get into the safe, braced position that's determined by one's anthropometry and pull.
Last edited by Hanley on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:26 am

Hanley wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:22 am
topfen wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:18 amCouldn't people like that simply pull from a raised position (rack/block pulls) if they are training for general strength and not for powerlifting? The range of motion and work done during a deadlift varies between individuals anyways. I assume someone who can' even grab the bar with a straight back wouldn't loose out on much back strength if he can pull with a set back by raising the bar for 10cm/4inches or whatever is needed.
But why not just skoot the outlier's feet a bit wider and have him pull that way? (ie a Coan narrow "sumo" stance). "Conventional" vs "sumo" strikes me as an arbitrary distinction.

Just get into the safe, braced position that's determined by one's anthropometry and pull.
It is arbitrary. On one side there's a competition to win, on the other there's the trophy of most pedant about how other people deadlift.

On one of the late great thread about pulling we were discussing exactly this, and we convinced Skillin that his friend Skittles should pull with a narrow stance sumo.

PatrickDB
Have you read this study?

Post by PatrickDB » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:06 am

Chebass88 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:34 pm 3. Accessory work would include general back strength exercises. I would likely avoid barbell rows, but they are a good exercise. NOTE: I don't think they are a good exercise when done as a rest-pause herky-jerk from the floor as a bastardized clean. Do them just like the bros. Bent over, and strict, without putting it down. Other back work would help as well, depending on the equipment in the gym. These could be done after squats.
What "other back work" would you recommend?

Chebass88
Big E

Post by Chebass88 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:29 am

PatrickDB wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:06 am
Chebass88 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:34 pm 3. Accessory work would include general back strength exercises. I would likely avoid barbell rows, but they are a good exercise. NOTE: I don't think they are a good exercise when done as a rest-pause herky-jerk from the floor as a bastardized clean. Do them just like the bros. Bent over, and strict, without putting it down. Other back work would help as well, depending on the equipment in the gym. These could be done after squats.
Seated rows, lat pull-downs, pull-ups / chin-ups (assisted if available or necessary, weighted if needed), DB rows, etc. The idea would be to get some extra work for the back that is currently lacking in deadlifts.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:59 am

Chebass88 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:29 am
PatrickDB wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:06 am
Seated rows, lat pull-downs, pull-ups / chin-ups (assisted if available or necessary, weighted if needed), DB rows, etc. The idea would be to get some extra work for the back that is currently lacking in deadlifts.
Why would you recommend this ^^^^ before RDLs?

Chebass88
Big E

Post by Chebass88 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:16 am

Murelli wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:59 am
Chebass88 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:29 am Seated rows, lat pull-downs, pull-ups / chin-ups (assisted if available or necessary, weighted if needed), DB rows, etc. The idea would be to get some extra work for the back that is currently lacking in deadlifts.
Why would you recommend this ^^^^ before RDLs?
I would probably use bentover barbell rows before using the RDL, but that might just be because I don't like RDLs myself. I recognize their utility, though. All of the things in that list would be done as "icing on the cake" - something fun thrown in for the last 5-10 minutes of a session.

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:41 am

I did some RDLs for the first time a few days ago. Had to go very light (~65-70% of my DLs) and grip was a problem even at light weights (I think the fact that you're holding it between reps makes a big difference)

I was expecting severe hamstring/glute soreness but ended up with fairly sore hamstrings but inasnely sore traps

perman

Post by perman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:47 am

Kregna wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:41 am I did some RDLs for the first time yesterday. Had to go super light (~65-70% of my DLs) and grip was a problem even at light weights (I think the fact that you're holding it between reps makes a big difference)

I was expecting severe hamstring/glute soreness but ended up with fairly sore hamstrings but inasnely sore upper back
I'm not sure if that is super-light, depends on how strict you normally are with your deadlifts, and with your RDLs too I suppose. My discrepancy percentage-wise between the lifts has decreased a lot ever since I started lifting lighter deadlifts straight-back Tuchscherer-style.

Additionally, people use totally different ROMs for RDLs. Your percentages sound normal to me for a somewhat round-backed conventional puller.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:50 am

Kregna wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:41 am I did some RDLs for the first time a few days ago. Had to go very light (~65-70% of my DLs) and grip was a problem even at light weights (I think the fact that you're holding it between reps makes a big difference)
Straps, bro.

perman

Post by perman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:53 am

Oh, I totally missed the grip-part. Yeah, straps for RDLs indeed.

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:18 am

TimK wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:50 am

Straps, bro.
Cheers, I did use straps. Was just surprised at how light a weight grip started being a problem compared to regular deadlift
perman wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:47 am
I'm not sure if that is super-light, depends on how strict you normally are with your deadlifts, and with your RDLs too I suppose. My discrepancy percentage-wise between the lifts has decreased a lot ever since I started lifting lighter deadlifts straight-back Tuchscherer-style.

Additionally, people use totally different ROMs for RDLs. Your percentages sound normal to me for a somewhat round-backed conventional puller.
Good point. I do allow some rounding (mostly upper back) on regular deads now, whereas I went completely strict on the RDLs

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:26 am

Kregna wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:18 am Cheers, I did use straps. Was just surprised at how light a weight grip started being a problem compared to regular deadlift
CoC

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:28 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:26 am
Kregna wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:18 am Cheers, I did use straps. Was just surprised at how light a weight grip started being a problem compared to regular deadlift
CoC
I thought it was generally accepted they don't improve deadlift grip?

I can hook grip my max DL so I wouldn't say I have a grip problem. I'm fine to use straps on RDLs for the higher reps I do them

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:49 am

Kregna wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:28 am I thought it was generally accepted they don't improve deadlift grip?
Naw, deadlift just doesn't translate to CoC as well as CoC translates to DL.
Regardless, I am trying to get as many people here using grippers, and running. That way I hate myself less for doing them.

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:57 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:49 am
Kregna wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:28 am I thought it was generally accepted they don't improve deadlift grip?
Naw, deadlift just doesn't translate to CoC as well as CoC translates to DL.
Regardless, I am trying to get as many people here using grippers, and running. That way I hate myself less for doing them.
Running?

What is this I don't even...