Official Pioneer Fitness Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Official Pioneer Fitness Thread

Post by Allentown » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:20 am

51M0N wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:29 pm So I'm looking to move from a 10" Titan Toro lever belt to a Pioneer belt with PAL (Titan is a bit too big these days).

In terms of general feel, would it be better to go with a 10mm or 13mm suede belt.

My understanding is that suede isn't as stiff, so a 13mm one would probably be a good direct comparison in terms of feel with the Toro, but not sure how 13mm goes if you aren't a larger guy (I'm 190lb around 34" waist)?
FWIW I only like my 13mm (no suede) for squats. Too stiff for other things.
OHP, I guess, back when I used to do them.

Personally, I'd now say the perfect "lifetime" belt is a 10mm single suede PAL. Or Pioneer Cut. I'd wager 95% of people would be set for life with that.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:33 am

The Toro isn't a belt that will break in either.
The Longhorn and the Bramah are both built similarly to the Pioneers, with sole bend leather, and no synthetic (robus leather?) inserts.

@Allentown is right in that a good 10mm all leather belt is more than adequate for almost everyone.
I really like my Pioneer 13mm lever, and it works for me for squats and deadlifts, but if you are already using a 10mm lever, i'm sure stepping up to a Pioneer all leather 10mm, especially with the PAL (i've never used the PAL, but i trust it's awesome) , i'm pretty sure you'd be happy.
The Pioneer is going to have a much better feel that the Toro.

My first belt i bought is a Titan 10mm single prong Longhorn, and it is a very good belt.
If i had to compete in it, i wouldn't be concerned.
When i'm able to do meets again, i'll take it as a spare/loaner.
Of course, the Pioneer Cut basically makes regular single prong style belts obsolete.
I just always wanted a lever since i've been lifting, and i am completely happy with my Pioneer 13mm.

I bought mine via Rogue, all black w/ suede.
At the time, the price was actually better that way, but i think since then it has gone up on Rogue, and maybe down from Pioneer.
i just wanted the IPF approval that it got from Rogue.
It doesn't make it any better, and the IPF USAPL approval thing is a racket, but i wanted to be covered for my USAPL meets if the gear checker ever was a stickler for rules.

51M0N

Post by 51M0N » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:28 am

Allentown wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:20 am
51M0N wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:29 pm So I'm looking to move from a 10" Titan Toro lever belt to a Pioneer belt with PAL (Titan is a bit too big these days).

In terms of general feel, would it be better to go with a 10mm or 13mm suede belt.

My understanding is that suede isn't as stiff, so a 13mm one would probably be a good direct comparison in terms of feel with the Toro, but not sure how 13mm goes if you aren't a larger guy (I'm 190lb around 34" waist)?
FWIW I only like my 13mm (no suede) for squats. Too stiff for other things.
OHP, I guess, back when I used to do them.

Personally, I'd now say the perfect "lifetime" belt is a 10mm single suede PAL. Or Pioneer Cut. I'd wager 95% of people would be set for life with that.
I find their website a bit confusing to navigate, but where do you find single suede belts? I can only find the double suede belts. Same with all leather, or is that what they call the stock belts?

51M0N

Post by 51M0N » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:32 am

Picked up a pioneer cut double suede belt last week (was in stock from Loaded Lifting). On the plus the pioneer cut is really easy to adjust and the belt feels nice for deadlifts. Minus is that the medium is touch big on me (particularly as I've cut down from 92kg to 85kg) so I am about 4 holes from the end, but not likely to go down much below this.

So based on this I'm thinking of getting a custom dyed single suede belt, cut down by 2 inches so it sits halfway between medium and small. I'm also thinking of getting a 13mm but get the leather cut down from 11mm to 10mm (or is that being way too pedantic?).

psmith

Post by psmith » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:05 am

How are the thinner pioneer belts for the quick lifts, like the 6.5mm? I have an old 13mm titan toro that's fine for squatting and pressing but sticks out kinda far for pulling. Was considering a nylon belt but not crazy about velcro. 2pood might be good but I'd rather buy domestic if possible.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:23 am

psmith wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:05 am How are the thinner pioneer belts for the quick lifts, like the 6.5mm? I have an old 13mm titan toro that's fine for squatting and pressing but sticks out kinda far for pulling. Was considering a nylon belt but not crazy about velcro. 2pood might be good but I'd rather buy domestic if possible.
The Pioneer Hybrid is great. No issues so far with the velcro, but kind of a PITA to get tightened, though might be cuz I probably needed to go a size down.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:15 pm

psmith wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:05 am How are the thinner pioneer belts for the quick lifts, like the 6.5mm? I have an old 13mm titan toro that's fine for squatting and pressing but sticks out kinda far for pulling. Was considering a nylon belt but not crazy about velcro. 2pood might be good but I'd rather buy domestic if possible.
One of the original Pioneer Cut prototypes that I got was 6.5mm. It's awesome for anything @7 and below. I used it all the time before giving it back to Matt as a keepsake.

Skander

Post by Skander » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:20 pm

I have the 3" stock PC belt. The funny thing is, the buckle is actually not the thing that sticks out too much, it's the belt loop. Anyway, just shove it to the side and it's fine. I've CJed PRs that way, I like it and it was cheap, especially with one of the IG discount codes like BASEMENT. I like it better than my old sheik belt and PC makes it better than hookgrip leather I think.

Skander

Post by Skander » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:28 pm

Pioneer is having a sale on accessories and apparel, but that apparently includes PALs according to IG

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:16 am

Got my new lever belt with the PAL, and I must say that it is a great belt. Was a prong guy since I started lifting, but @Cody let me try on his Pioneer lever once and I knew I had to breakdown and get one.

Strongly considering the Phantom wraps for my next purchase as my SBD wraps are getting a lot of wear and tear.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:28 pm

51M0N wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:32 am I'm also thinking of getting a 13mm but get the leather cut down from 11mm to 10mm (or is that being way too pedantic?).
I never feel like my 13mm is in the way.
i find it quite comfortable.
Use it for all squats and deadlifts.
Suede inside layer.
https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-bran ... lever-belt

51M0N

Post by 51M0N » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:40 pm

Thanks, I ordered the belt the other day, yellow leather with fade to black edging, yellow suede and stitching (yeah, I like yellow). Asked for it to be 2 inches shorter than medium and leather part 10mm (because if I'm going custom I might as well).

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:25 am

51M0N wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:40 pm Thanks, I ordered the belt the other day, yellow leather with fade to black edging, yellow suede and stitching (yeah, I like yellow). Asked for it to be 2 inches shorter than medium and leather part 10mm (because if I'm going custom I might as well).
I've got a 13mm belt with a layer of suede inside and garment leather outside, its the best of both worlds (having 10mm of inside leather).

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:04 pm

Does the Pioneer cut change the old maxim that the best belt for a first belt is a 10mm?
Like it is just so well fitting that a belt newb could jump in with a 13mm?

I can't tell anymore, but i did "learn" with the 10mm single prong.
My 13mm Pioneer lever is more comfortable to me than my 10mm Titan.

And i know there are experienced lifters that don't opt for 13mm.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:49 pm

Well. The 13mm prototype I have is 2 layers of 6.5 untreated leather. It took awhile to break in to the point that taking it off after a heavy set didn't induce panic/near death experience. That being said, once broken in, I prefer it over a 10mm and it does feel more secure when going heavy. Don't know if it's just mental.

I do think a new lifter can potentially use one but if they are "weak" then actually taking it on and off could be a hassle. To add, when not broken in, if it's not super tight, I do notice it shifting around in the hole more which could be an issue.

I think 13mm double suede is best of both worlds

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:58 pm

TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:49 pm Well. The 13mm prototype I have is 2 layers of 6.5 untreated leather. It took awhile to break in to the point that taking it off after a heavy set didn't induce panic/near death experience. That being said, once broken in, I prefer it over a 10mm and it does feel more secure when going heavy. Don't know if it's just mental.

I do think a new lifter can potentially use one but if they are "weak" then actually taking it on and off could be a hassle. To add, when not broken in, if it's not super tight, I do notice it shifting around in the hole more which could be an issue.

Thank you. : )

Kind of helping someone who is getting ready to buy.
He' s just deciding between 10 and 13mm at this point.

This is useful information.

51M0N

Post by 51M0N » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:15 am

Got my belt today, very happy with how it turned out.

https://pasteboard.co/JXgCJtq.jpg

Skander

Post by Skander » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:15 am

51M0N wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:15 am Got my belt today, very happy with how it turned out.

https://pasteboard.co/JXgCJtq.jpg
Ooh, pretty. I really like those fade ones, if I wasn't so cheap I would have asked for that for my lighter belt I use for Olympic lifts, but those stock belts are just so convenient.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:13 am

Wilhelm wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:58 pm
TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:49 pm Well. The 13mm prototype I have is 2 layers of 6.5 untreated leather. It took awhile to break in to the point that taking it off after a heavy set didn't induce panic/near death experience. That being said, once broken in, I prefer it over a 10mm and it does feel more secure when going heavy. Don't know if it's just mental.

Thank you. : )

Kind of helping someone who is getting ready to buy.
He' s just deciding between 10 and 13mm at this point.

This is useful information.
IMO, no. 10mm stock Pioneer Cut is going to be more pliable and comfortable out of the box, and is still going to be worth using/having forever.
And probably better for Deadlifts, IMO.
Also, cheaper.

FredM

Post by FredM » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:29 pm

Allentown wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:13 am
IMO, no. 10mm stock Pioneer Cut is going to be more pliable and comfortable out of the box, and is still going to be worth using/having forever.
And probably better for Deadlifts, IMO.
Also, cheaper.
I can't confirm but would agree based off the fact I love my 13mm Pioneer belt to death but I basically only ever use it for squats. I keep going back to my cheap-o 4" 4.5mm belt for everything else.

Still trying to decide if I'm buying a 6mm belt next or 10mm lever belt from them next sale...