Fat Gripz?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Kregna

Fat Gripz?

Post by Kregna » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:22 am

Are they worth using?

There's an ex-strongman at my gym who lovessssssssss them. He deadlifts with em, does chin ups with em, even dips with them (along with the regular variations). He's pretty strong but not really considering his size (6'5 and 300lbs) and the rest of his training is pretty loony, so thought I'd come here for the low down

I would think it's a waste of time on exercises that are supposed to train things other than grip (deadlifts, chin ups, dips...) as you are compromising the work the target muscles get in favour of grip - and I'm not sure if it even develops grip that much in pressing exercises like dips?

I'd think they're usefulness would be limited to static holds (on a pull up bar or farmers walk variation) or curls

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Re: Fat Gripz?

Post by KyleSchuant » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:11 am

If grip is the weak point, they're useful.

But now that I think of it.... All but one of those who I decided needed grip work - because they were missing deadlifts... all but one attended very irregularly. Grip fails, will fails? Or vice versa?

I dunno. I like them, though.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:59 am

I have them, but I don't actually use them for anything. The only time I might use them is if I am feeling reeeeaaaallllyyy beat up, but still want to do something challenging, I will put them on for bench, press, rows, shrugs, that kind of stuff. I might use them a bit in January before I head up north for ice climbing, you don't really need to squeeze the axes but with gloves on you do need to hold them for a while. Even then, it would probably be better to put on a pair of gloves and do static holds with farmers handles.

EricK
Marine Mammal

Post by EricK » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:03 am

Seems like an okay tool for making a lighter variation harder, or if one needs to practice for strongman competitions (like an axel lift or something), but it doesn't strike me as a good idea to use them for everything.

hector

Post by hector » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:11 am

No.
If you want to strengthen your grip then do some dedicated grip work. After your real training. Grip work is easy and doesn't take long.
Do not compromise all your other lifts in order to strengthen your grip.

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 am

Thanks for the responses

I wasn't considering doing them, I'm just trying to be open-minded and wondered if I was missing something. His whole routine is one gimmicky exercise after another, so I'm not surprised at the responses

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:28 am

Kregna wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 am Thanks for the responses

I wasn't considering doing them, I'm just trying to be open-minded and wondered if I was missing something. His whole routine is one gimmicky exercise after another, so I'm not surprised at the responses
I'll just point out that a 300lb dude doing chins with Fat Grips is pretty damn impressive. I do a bit of grip work, and weigh much less, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't do a chin with fat grips

tdood

Post by tdood » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:35 am

I want them. An easy way to make things different or harder. Jesse Norris does a lot of deadlifting with a fat bar.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:49 am

I got a pair after reading the ChAoS and PAIN article on how arm wrestlers train. I used them for maybe a week.

Fat bar training is no doubt useful, I just prefer using a regular bar.

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:58 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:28 am

I'll just point out that a 300lb dude doing chins with Fat Grips is pretty damn impressive. I do a bit of grip work, and weigh much less, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't do a chin with fat grips
I think it's literally 2-3 reps he's gotten. He is pretty strong but he's deadlifting like 240-250kg and squatting 180-190kg for maxes. Not exactly spectacular for 300lbs but he has done some good strong man lifts in the past
tdood wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:35 am I want them. An easy way to make things different or harder. Jesse Norris does a lot of deadlifting with a fat bar.
But harder how? I can only think the forearms/hands are getting more work at the expense of everything else (especially in pressing movements which are not otherwise grip-challenging exercises

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:00 am

Kregna wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:58 am I think it's literally 2-3 reps he's gotten. He is pretty strong but he's deadlifting like 240-250kg
250 with Fat Gripz?

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:04 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:00 am
Kregna wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:58 am I think it's literally 2-3 reps he's gotten. He is pretty strong but he's deadlifting like 240-250kg
250 with Fat Gripz?
Lol 250 regular bar. That's just me estimating based on his rep work. His deadlift is around the same as mine or even a bit lower, but at +25kg / 55lb body weight

His training is very unconventional... variety for variety's sake ('hit the muscles from all angles' he says). Trains like a bodybuilder, also. He might do more on a straight bar deadlift if he practised it more. He does straight bar once a week-ish but also a lot of trap bar deadlifts and weird variations

Jay870

Post by Jay870 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:16 am

I have a pair and use them infrequently. I've seen a lot of people say they can also be helpful for cranky elbows when using them on exercises that are otherwise not grip intensive like curls & tricep extensions, etc.

cwd

Post by cwd » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:20 am

Fat gripz might make sense for a strongman or arm-wrestler who needs grip strength for fat things.

I can't see how training static holds *at the wrong grip diameter* would help deadlifts on a regular-size bar, more than an equivalent volume at the normal bar size and more weight.

There's at least a theory behind Captains of Crush style grippers for deadlift -- getting some concentric work in addition to isometric.

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:27 am

Good points

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:34 am

cwd wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:20 am I can't see how training static holds *at the wrong grip diameter* would help deadlifts on a regular-size bar, more than an equivalent volume at the normal bar size and more weight.
Lets you train grip, and move through the chosen ROM on DL without as much weight. Possibly good as an assistance lift for GPP or for non-PL sport-specific training.

cwd

Post by cwd » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:38 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:34 am Lets you train grip, and move through the chosen ROM on DL without as much weight. Possibly good as an assistance lift for GPP or for non-PL sport-specific training.
True. And maybe it would help for hypertrophy. We all admire Popeye's forearms.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:41 am

cwd wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:38 am
Allentown wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:34 am Lets you train grip, and move through the chosen ROM on DL without as much weight. Possibly good as an assistance lift for GPP or for non-PL sport-specific training.
True. And maybe it would help for hypertrophy. We all admire Popeye's forearms.
And they might help teach keeping the bar centered over your forearm and elbow when benching? I'll be honest, I stopped reading the articles at EFS a few years ago, they used to do a lot of "These are great for this!" kind of stuff. Also, I can't leave mine outside in the cold or they get all oily. I emailed EFS about it, they contacted whoever makes them, and the company sent me a mesh bag for them and an otter case for the iPhone for some reason.

KoolaidMannn
ruff n tuff

Post by KoolaidMannn » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:03 am

I have a pair of the fat grips extreme, I do a few static holds DOH, and mixed grip each week, along with C.O.C. When I'm not close to a meet.

I also think regular static holds with heavier weight do the same thing, I just would rather load 275lbs than 450 to do holds

hector

Post by hector » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:08 am

cwd wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:20 am There's at least a theory behind Captains of Crush style grippers for deadlift -- getting some concentric work in addition to isometric.
More than a theory.
Grip was once my weak link when deadlifting. Started training Captains of Crush grippers and within a few weeks grip was no longer a limiter. The grip training also got my deadlift moving after a period of stagnation.