The DIY Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

perman

Re: The DIY Thread

Post by perman » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:14 am

So what's your profession @TimK? I'm a math/physics high school teacher, and I feel clueless about DIY/carpenting-stuff. Whenever I see someone creating larger DIY-projects, I'd like to excuse my inability to do the same thing with "well, he's probably a manual laborer with practical experience in making/building shit".

So do you have that background, or are you an academic who's also a capable renaissance man and doesn't get scared by practical work?

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:35 am

perman wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:14 am So what's your profession TimK? I'm a math/physics high school teacher, and I feel clueless about DIY/carpenting-stuff. Whenever I see someone creating larger DIY-projects, I'd like to excuse my inability to do the same thing with "well, he's probably a manual laborer with practical experience in making/building shit".

So do you have that background, or are you an academic who's also a capable renaissance man and doesn't get scared by practical work?
LOL, I'm a photographer now, but I used to be a high school teacher as well (history and math). I don't know, I guess I've always been somewhat inclined toward DIY type stuff. I actually majored in mechanical engineering for my first 1.5 years of college but that was more a result of my DIY activities rather than what inspired them. Legos were always my favorite toys when I was a kid and I grew up in a rural area in a blue collar family so I had access to a decent amount of tools and a garage to mess around in as a teenager. I was in to paintball and I spent way more time doing DIY modifications to my low-end paintball guns (Brass Eagle Stingray and Tippmann 98, anyone?) than I did going out in the woods and playing with my friends. I've done my fair share of DIY vehicle repair also, including rebuilding the engine on a motorcycle... that took me about a month but with the help of my trusty Haynes manual I got it done, lol. Even with photography, I've built some homemade equipment that did the job pretty well, although that was more when I was first getting in to it as a hobby vs now when I try to like, look professional, or whatever.

For me the coolest thing about DIY is when you not only save money but can actually make something that's better or more functional (even if it's just for your specific use case or preferences) than what's commercially available.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:49 am

TimK wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:35 am Tippmann 98, anyone?
I put an electric double trigger into mine. Flatline barrel (I think? The silly curved one that put spin on it to make it go "further and flatter?"), few other things. I think I had the side-mounted hopper feed system? That might have been on my automag, which is where I went from the Tippmann.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:14 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:49 am
TimK wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:35 am Tippmann 98, anyone?
I put an electric double trigger into mine. Flatline barrel (I think? The silly curved one that put spin on it to make it go "further and flatter?"), few other things.
I had a double trigger, flatline (but the Lapco Bigshot was more accurate!). Made a custom shoulder stock for it out of aluminum, and I actually had the body powder coated blue (which was really dumb for playing out in the woods but I thought it looked cool).

The Stingray was the real DIY gun though. There was a whole "owners group" website and forum devoted to modding it to make it slightly less shitty, and it was pretty easy to do since the body was plastic and easily drilled/cut/glued.
Allentown wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:49 am, which is where I went from the Tippmann.
Me too! Well, a Minimag to be precise.

alek

Post by alek » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:17 pm

I “cloned” the Rogue over the doorway pullup bar. Here are my test reps.

The stringer is the only thing I had to buy—it’s a 2x6x8 screwed into 5 or so studs/header. The bar is from a car rack thing, and the 4x4’s and other 2x6’s are scrap. I glued and screwed the 4x4’s face-grain to face-grain to some scrap 2x6’s so the bar would be a bit more away from the wall/doorframe. Then those were glued and screwed to the stringer; the whole thing was then screwed to the wall. The bar is removable.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:56 pm

When I got my titan t3 rack they made a mistake and sent the wrong uprights. So now I have 4 t3 regular height uprights. Was thinking of trying to make farmer's handles with one of them. What else should I use them for? I guess I could make a belt squat but really don't see the need. Any ideas?

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:31 pm

TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:56 pm When I got my titan t3 rack they made a mistake and sent the wrong uprights. So now I have 4 t3 regular height uprights. Was thinking of trying to make farmer's handles with one of them. What else should I use them for? I guess I could make a belt squat but really don't see the need. Any ideas?
I don't know/remember what your setup looks like, but add crossmembers and plate pegs and make a 3-post T3?

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:03 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:31 pm
TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:56 pm When I got my titan t3 rack they made a mistake and sent the wrong uprights. So now I have 4 t3 regular height uprights. Was thinking of trying to make farmer's handles with one of them. What else should I use them for? I guess I could make a belt squat but really don't see the need. Any ideas?
I don't know/remember what your setup looks like, but add crossmembers and plate pegs and make a 3-post T3?
I have been thinking of that but would need to cut them down to fit in and also don't really have the room. I share the garage with an upstairs neighbor. Might do it anyway because they are shitty neighbors!

413x

Post by 413x » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:43 am

I have a set of bands coming in a couple days and was considering a small equipment hack. I am thinking I might use the bands (prob just the biggest and widest one) as a slingshot for bench press. Does anyone have experience doing this? Should I loop the band in a figure 8? Am I gonna die because I don't want to spend ~$60 (not that I need to do slingshot BP in the first place)?

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:15 am

Sorry man, i couldn't resist - :lol:

vanimal

Post by vanimal » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:33 am

WTF.

413x

Post by 413x » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:51 am

pffft lame, I was gonna do it without the jockstrap and in a YMCA

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:52 am

413x wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:51 am pffft lame, I was gonna do it without the jockstrap and in a YMCA
:lol:

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:01 am

Found this thing. It's off one of those old lever bench press things. I thought it might work with a few modifications to make a free-standing lever belt squat, and after screwing around with it I can probably use it as a wanna-be viking press/lever OHP as well.

I'm going to be doing the following:

1. Add legs to the front (and possibly the back) of the main support foot for more stability
2. Move the weight holder on the bottom to the back of the main support to balance the unit a little better
3. Attach some brackets onto the upright so I can mount my lever belt squat attachment
4. Some plate storage or something to add more weight to the rear foot, if needed

If none of this works out, the main foot/upright are 3x3 and will work perfectly for the rear support if I ever decide to make my rack-mount GHD freestanding, so I've got a Plan B.

squatdoyle

Post by squatdoyle » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:46 pm

I'm looking to add some dip bars. I have seen some people the the dip attachment/matador is the most unused or regretted decision in their home gym. fortunately, the dip bar for my rack (Titan X-2) is also out of stock. so, i'm hoping to diy something for relatively cheap and see how much i use it. my plan right now is to get some pars set up perpendicular to the pin and pipe safeties on my rack. has anyone seen or done this before? what would you receommend? do you think 2" PVC is sturdy enough? or a wood dowel? I know black steel pipe would work, but i dont think there is much/any cost savings there if I need two 5 foot pieces.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:11 am

squatdoyle wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:46 pm I'm looking to add some dip bars. I have seen some people the the dip attachment/matador is the most unused or regretted decision in their home gym. fortunately, the dip bar for my rack (Titan X-2) is also out of stock. so, i'm hoping to diy something for relatively cheap and see how much i use it. my plan right now is to get some pars set up perpendicular to the pin and pipe safeties on my rack. has anyone seen or done this before? what would you receommend? do you think 2" PVC is sturdy enough? or a wood dowel? I know black steel pipe would work, but i dont think there is much/any cost savings there if I need two 5 foot pieces.
If you don't have a second beater bar I'd go steel pipe/conduit... no way would I go wood and I'd think PVC would flex...

alek

Post by alek » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:49 pm

I made a caddy for my CoC grippers out of some scrap 1 x 3 I had. Took about 2 hours start to finish, and I think I’ll spray lacquer it tomorrow. I made three small caddies that I put together for one longer one. It easily holds the 5 grippers I have, and there’s room for at least 1 more, probably two.

With the way I made it, I can easily expand it to hold as many as I want.

James

Post by James » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:39 am

I was thinking about Mike Tuchscherer's front squat handles and it dawned on me that they're just strap wrenches. You can buy a set of plastic ones at harbour freight for like $6.

Going to grab some and give it a try next time I run by HF.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:31 am

Anyone ever find a good way to adapt a 1" bar to a 2"? I have an EZ curl I'd like to use, but it only takes standard. I've seen some sleeves online but they seem overpriced, and it seems easier to fab something up instead. I think I'd just get some custom high density foam made at the local foam shop. I dunno.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:54 am

LoudMuffin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:31 am Anyone ever find a good way to adapt a 1" bar to a 2"? I have an EZ curl I'd like to use, but it only takes standard. I've seen some sleeves online but they seem overpriced, and it seems easier to fab something up instead. I think I'd just get some custom high density foam made at the local foam shop. I dunno.
probably play around with some PVC pipe / bushings / adapter couplings....the fittings, you'd have to file the inner lip away.

sure plastic, but as long as youre not slamming the bar down should be ok (curlz, and skull crushers)

but these look cheap (as much as farting around with some pvc bushings/couplings)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/861270480/ ... zUQAvD_BwE

$12 ?