Safety Squat Bars

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

quikky

Re: Safety Squat Bars

Post by quikky » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:41 pm

Thanks for the responses fellas. Got one on backorder.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:12 am

EFS bar is on sale right now, $50 off and possibly free shipping

quikky

Post by quikky » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:58 am

Got my Titan SSB. Seems quite nice, no complaints so far. It appears they have improved things a bit further since some of the earlier reviews. Namely: the sleeves now have snap rings and the Titan logo is behind them like on most normal bars, and, the welds look pretty dang nice to my non-expert eye.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:46 am

I'm gonna find out the answer for us all sometime in the future if no one knows already, but has anyone tried ordering replacement foam for the SSB from Titan?

I ask because after a couple years of having this, I've noticeably worn down the foam on one side. Normally it was never much of an issue until you were in mid-400's territory, but since my shoulder surgery I've noticed my trap/shoulder is a bit more sensitive to the bar (prolly my new lack of meat on the area). I turned to foam around in between sets yesterday and it was akin to a fresh pair of socks or new car smell hahaha. Made me realize that with time I will likely wear out that side too, and eventually it would be bougie nice to have a replacement every now and again...

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:50 am

Just ordered and received a Titan SSB now that I can't squat for a bit. On sale for $250 and I've been eyeing it for a while, figured I'd pull the trigger. Hopefully will be able to use it soon. Used a EFTS Yoke bar at the Strongman gym 2 years ago for a block and liked it, and higher rep squats bother my shoulder. Also curious about trying it for Front Squats.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:54 am

damufunman wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:50 am Also curious about trying it for Front Squats.
It's pretty great...

PaulieWalmart

Post by PaulieWalmart » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:25 pm

About 3 weeks in with my new Edge Yoke SSB. So far so good. Construction feels sturdy, esp. the handles. I was little suspicious at that component as it’s held on via a short screw covered with foam padding. Overall though it feels really good. Just a strange movement to get used to after doing regular barbell squats for years.

gymdad150

Post by gymdad150 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:01 pm

We've got an old Elite FTS SSB and a couple of new Titan SSBs at our gym.

Got to say that I like the Elite bar over the Titan:
1) The Titan plastic is hard and has sharp edges
B) The Titan padding feels thinner
iii) The Elite Bar feels more substantial in term of construction

StephenIRL

Post by StephenIRL » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:06 am

Have the riot SSB myself. 20kg means it's easy to load it for bar maths purposes. Pretty good bar and it's taken a good bit of punishment. The black paint has worn off where it hits the metal of the bar holders but that doesn't bother me.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:34 am

I’ve contemplated swapping out my SSB eventually but I don’t use it enough to justify that. Probably swap my trap bar out first since I use that 2x a week or so.

StephenIRL

Post by StephenIRL » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:45 am

As a home gym user with limited space I have to be conscience of space when adding items. The SSB has been a very good addition and I agree with previous posters here that it's just a more natural and easier squat to do than the low bar version.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:24 am

I used to be skeptical of specialty bars, but, after only two weeks of owning my REP Open Trap Bar I'm a Believer. So next up for the gym is probably an SSB. I've done my research and I'm liking what I've read and seen of REP's SSB.

I, too, have limited space, and bars are easier to move around than just about anything else.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:07 am

Michiganian wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:24 am I used to be skeptical of specialty bars, but, after only two weeks of owning my REP Open Trap Bar I'm a Believer. So next up for the gym is probably an SSB. I've done my research and I'm liking what I've read and seen of REP's SSB.

I, too, have limited space, and bars are easier to move around than just about anything else.
These are the greatest invention ever for comfortable Good Mornings. Worth it just for that if nothing else.

gtl

Post by gtl » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:04 pm

Michiganian wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:24 am I used to be skeptical of specialty bars, but, after only two weeks of owning my REP Open Trap Bar I'm a Believer. So next up for the gym is probably an SSB. I've done my research and I'm liking what I've read and seen of REP's SSB.

FWIW, It's a nice bar, but I think the Rep SSB is overbuilt/too big for a home gym with limited space.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:25 pm

gtl wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:04 pm FWIW, It's a nice bar, but I think the Rep SSB is overbuilt/too big for a home gym with limited space.
Hmmm... I watched some GGR videos: One specifically on the REP SSB, one comparing Titan's new SSB against the REP, and one comparing five or six SSBs, incl. the REP. I didn't notice the REP appearing any bulkier or larger than any of the others.

The only one I recall appearing appreciably larger than any of the others was the Marrs-Bar. And maybe the Kabuki Transformer Bar.

The Kabuki Transformer Bar is way cool, but also more than twice as expensive as the REP SSB.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:47 am

Michiganian wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:25 pm
gtl wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:04 pm FWIW, It's a nice bar, but I think the Rep SSB is overbuilt/too big for a home gym with limited space.
Hmmm... I watched some GGR videos: One specifically on the REP SSB, one comparing Titan's new SSB against the REP, and one comparing five or six SSBs, incl. the REP. I didn't notice the REP appearing any bulkier or larger than any of the others.

The only one I recall appearing appreciably larger than any of the others was the Marrs-Bar. And maybe the Kabuki Transformer Bar.

The Kabuki Transformer Bar is way cool, but also more than twice as expensive as the REP SSB.
I have the Transformer bar, probably wouldn’t go that route again, I would most likely just get the Rep (I had the Elite FTS before the Transformer). I have only ever used it in the standard SSB position and the Goblet position for more upright quad focused squats. But you can accomplish the same thing by using a regular SSB “upside down” with the camber pointing up from your shoulders. Also I have grown to dislike Kabuki in general because of how much of a charlatan/shameless self promoter/snake oil salesman Duffin is.

I’m also confused about the comments regarding the size of the Rep SSB… it’s the same size as all the “normal” SSB designs from what I can tell. They’re all kind of bulky and awkward but if you can figure out a way to store it at the top (inside) of your rack it makes it much easier. Mine is resting on a couple of bolts that I added at the top of the rear uprights and I use a bungee cord to hold the handles up and out of the way. It’s quick to take it down and set it on the j cups and quick to tuck it away again afterward.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:06 am

TimK wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:47 am I have the Transformer bar, probably wouldn’t go that route again, I would most likely just get the Rep (I had the Elite FTS before the Transformer).
Good info. Thanks!
TimK wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:47 am [SSBs are] all kind of bulky and awkward but if you can figure out a way to store it ...
That's actually going to be my biggest challenge. The home gym is essentially full. I already have to do a fair amount of shifting stuff around for some workouts. An SSB will add another piece. Oh well... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

James

Post by James » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:50 am

If you have a short enough rack you can just put bars on top of it. That's what I do.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:17 pm

James wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:50 am If you have a short enough rack you can just put bars on top of it. That's what I do.
My "rack" is a short squat stand, so that's not available to me. (Even if I had a rack, there wouldn't be the clearance below the ceiling.)

It may be moot. I annoyed my right leg, somehow, so I'm taking a couple days extra recovery time. (It happens from time-to-time. Never have figured out what triggers it.)

Not wanting the day to be a complete loss I decided to play with my REP Open Trap Bar a bit--trying some of the alternative uses shown in REP's video. I removed the handles, racked it, and tried it for squats. Darned if it doesn't work a bit like an SSB, just like REP and Coop (in the GGR review) claim it does :D