Safety Squat Bars

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

PapaSmurf

Re: Safety Squat Bars

Post by PapaSmurf » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:15 pm

Between Black Widow and Edge, which SSB would people here recommend? I’m thinking of ordering one of these in the next couple weeks.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:49 pm

@mgil , do you have the Edge SSB?
I just noticed on IG the one you are using has the long handles like the Edge.

I'm glad i looked back over this thread, that bar had dropped out of my memory, and i was sure i was looking at $400 for an SSB.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:24 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:49 pm @mgil , do you have the Edge SSB?
I just noticed on IG the one you are using has the long handles like the Edge.

I'm glad i looked back over this thread, that bar had dropped out of my memory, and i was sure i was looking at $400 for an SSB.
Yeah, I have the Edge. Seems solid so far.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:26 pm

PapaSmurf wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:15 pm Between Black Widow and Edge, which SSB would people here recommend? I’m thinking of ordering one of these in the next couple weeks.
They are both about the same price, a very similar design, and both made by small shops in the USA. I think @Manveer has the Black Widow.

indigo

Post by indigo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:07 am

For those of you using an SSB, how close are you able to imitate a low-bar squat ? Can you maintain the bar in LBBS position or is it only really usable if on the traps ?

Does it seem unwieldy, difficult to balance ?

Considering as I have fscked shoulders.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:41 am

indigo wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:07 am For those of you using an SSB, how close are you able to imitate a low-bar squat ? Can you maintain the bar in LBBS position or is it only really usable if on the traps ?

My SSB execution is kinda low bar ish at the bottom of the ROM. I also actively change the angle as the squat evolves, which is probably wrong, but in my mind is optimizing the system.

It'll take a few sessions to get used to, but your shoulders would be much happier. I'd go further and state that for those not competing, it's probably a better lift since it hits all the stuff back squats do without bothering shoulders, elbows, and wrists like back squats can.

I don't find the mechanics of execution similar to front squats though.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:59 am

mgil wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:41 am hits all the stuff back squats do without bothering shoulders, elbows, and wrists like back squats can.
So does high bar, amiright?
Also, screw high bar.
Also, I still want a SSB. And a Football bar. And an OPB. And a place to put all my bars, once I have more than one.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:20 am

High bar still bothers my wrists and whatever. If you were fat and old like me, you'd empathize.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue May 08, 2018 8:51 am

Seems like the Spud Swing Set Straps would pair up really well with an SSB for loaded carries.

Mugaaz

Post by Mugaaz » Tue May 08, 2018 10:30 am

indigo wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:07 am For those of you using an SSB, how close are you able to imitate a low-bar squat ? Can you maintain the bar in LBBS position or is it only really usable if on the traps ?

It can't imitate a LBBS position exactly, but I don't find it THAT different. I think the carryover from SSB to LBBS is about as high as you could hope for. it is great for giving elbows and wrists a break. I do get some bruising from it that can look pretty gnarly.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue May 08, 2018 3:59 pm

A big package just arrived...

I knew the Rogue pads were wimpy, but wow:

BenM

Post by BenM » Tue May 08, 2018 4:24 pm

Wow. That's a fair difference.

Timely bump, as I ordered an ATX SSB last week (ie https://samsfitness.com.au/barbells/spe ... -squat-bar), it shipped out a couple of days ago.

Looks like the pads are gonna be small like the Rogue, but I'm hoping I can live with that. Will post more thoughts here when I get it, hopefully it turns up before the weekend so I can get a bit of an unscheduled session in.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue May 08, 2018 4:38 pm

I don't think Rogue's pad is bad, and the size difference is more amusing than anything. If you watch any Brian Alsruhe videos on YouTube you can see him and his gym goers load up a lot more weight than I can move, and they don't comment on the pad being too thin.

BenM

Post by BenM » Tue May 08, 2018 5:30 pm

Yeah Alsruhe is a beast even coming back from injury. I’m not overly concerned, I mean I squat with a bar with no padding now, right? Just surprised at the difference.

BenM

Post by BenM » Thu May 17, 2018 5:15 pm

So I got my ATX SSB the other day and had my first squatting session with it yesterday.

It came well packaged in a big cardboard box similar to the EliteFTS bar above, so that was good. Assembly was a straightforward matter of wrapping the three pads round the bar, and putting some rubber rings onto the sleeves (I think these are to protect the plates from hitting the metal flange at the extreme inside).

Finish/look is OK - not as nice as the ATX power bar that I already own - it's powder coated in a textured matt black which will be easy to touch up if I mark it. The pads are covered in a cheap nylon type material, not vinyl/pu leather like I expected; the handles are just covered in a cheap plastic sleeve. Also the bar was advertised as being 19.5kg on the website above, but stencilled on it (along with the ATX logo) it says it's 17kg. So a bit lighter than a normal barbell.

I did some squats with it - it worked well, and was fairly comfortable to use - though even with the pads my shoulders experienced a little bit of soreness afterwards - not as much as when I first started back squatting with a barbell though! I'm glad I bought it, it seems like it engages more quads which is probably something I need to work on.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:33 am

The EliteFTS SS bar is on sale, 20% off, with (it looks like) free shipping. $340.

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:58 pm

I have been having a lot of trouble with shoulders, elbows and wrists. I have tried thumb around, and then tried high bar. I think if I want to keep squatting I need to get a ssb.
I do have some questions though.
Why does there need to be a camber, is there a reason the ssb can't just be a straight bar?
Why cant the sleeves be Olympic sized?
I'm assuming my weights will drop at first while I get used to it, but will they always be less than lbbs?
If I used it for a while and made solid weight increases would that increase translate if I went back and tried lbbs?
And here's the big question...
How do I justify this purchase to my wife?
She was fine with the original rack, bench, bar and weights. But the last few purchases have started to get reactions. It started with the look and has now moved to comments. Apparently I'm already better setup than most commercial gyms and don't "need" anything else, especially another bar. I need strategic help from you guys

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:16 pm

Ragholmes wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:58 pm Why does there need to be a camber, is there a reason the ssb can't just be a straight bar?
Why cant the sleeves be Olympic sized?
I'm assuming my weights will drop at first while I get used to it, but will they always be less than lbbs?
If I used it for a while and made solid weight increases would that increase translate if I went back and tried lbbs?
And here's the big question...
She was fine with the original rack, bench, bar and weights. But the last few purchases have started to get reactions. It started with the look and has now moved to comments. Apparently I'm already better setup than most commercial gyms and don't "need" anything else, especially another bar. I need strategic help from you guys
1. The camber allows the handles to be at a comfortable angle and makes it so you don't have to apply a huge amount of force on them to keep the bar on your back. On a good SSB like the Elite FTS version, you can actually use it hands free and it will stay in place.

2. These bars are usually made out of 1.9" OD pipe which is readily available but slightly smaller than the diameter of a normal bar sleeve. I have found with my SS Yoke Bar that my cheap plastic lock jaw collars work OK. They don't get super tight but it's enough to keep the plates from sliding around during the set.

3. Probably, but if you can't do the LBBS then it's kind of a moot point, right?

4. It should transfer, but you would might have to spend some time training low bar to get your technique dialed in if you want to set a big PR. Like, you wouldn't want to use only the SSB for months and then switch to low bar the day of a meet.

5. Tell her you that it's the only way you can continue to train and be strong without causing yourself pain?

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:58 am

Ragholmes wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:58 pm And here's the big question...
I have found that the fastest way to get her to not want to discuss my gym equipment with me is by me trying to discuss my gym equipment with her.

MattBulmer

Post by MattBulmer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:03 am

I've just got hold of a buffalo bar. Can't believe how much difference it's made to shoulder and elbow comfort, without changing LBBS mechanics. I also have a SSB which I bought to help with shoulder and elbow pain, but it's a very different movement from LBBS.