Rack Accesories(pulleys, dip bars)

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Rack Accesories(pulleys, dip bars)

Post by hsilman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:57 pm

So, I want to be able to do some more varied lifts, without taking up any more space.

I've got a Titan "HD" short rack. I believe it is now marketed as the T-2 Short Rack. 1" holes.

I was looking at the Titan dip bars, but not the greatest reviews. Anyone have any recommendations on brands that fit a 1" rack?

Also, pulley system. Titan has been promising a pulley for about a year now, and it still hasn't materialized. I was looking at the Spud system. Decently reviewed, but pretty expensive for what amounts to $20 in parts from Home Depot. Anyone have any other brand recommendations/reviews? Homemade?

ithryn

Re: Rack Accesories(pulleys, dip bars)

Post by ithryn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:45 pm

I really want a pulley system but I may just look at a separate one on Craigslist someday. I suppose I could attach something to my ceiling joists in the garage.

The spud setup is $200, I think? I heard concerns about the metal cord fraying but I don't know. Geez, for $200 I could've stayed at my $10 gym just to use the pulley system once a week, lol.

I like my regular Titan dip bars. The cheap two that drop onto the safeties. I'm 5'10" and they're pretty much perfectly spaced. I don't know if I'd like the Y attachment as much, just for space reasons, but I've read a lot of good reports about it. It has fatter handles.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:49 pm

ithryn wrote:I really want a pulley system but I may just look at a separate one on Craigslist someday. I suppose I could attach something to my ceiling joists in the garage.

The spud setup is $200, I think? I heard concerns about the metal cord fraying but I don't know. Geez, for $200 I could've stayed at my $10 gym just to use the pulley system once a week, lol.

I like my regular Titan dip bars. The cheap two that drop onto the safeties. I'm 5'10" and they're pretty much perfectly spaced. I don't know if I'd like the Y attachment as much, just for space reasons, but I've read a lot of good reports about it. It has fatter handles.
yeah the pulley spud system is $200 for high/low. Just high is $100. My gyms are $40/month minimum, so there's that! But seems a bit pricey for what it is. Only alternative I've seen is a $65 one that has pretty bad reviews. Maybe there's a decent DIY alternative using rock climbing pulleys? They are rated pretty heavy.

Thanks for the review on the dip attachment, I think I'll pick that up soon.

ithryn

Post by ithryn » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:22 pm

I move to make this the official cable pulling thread.

I'm wondering how awful this setup is: https://imgur.com/gallery/J9gr6

I mean...would it sway much? In the reddit thread about this they recommend using larger pulleys.

I'd rather use something easy to clip on and off. Same reason I probably won't do Titan's (Rogue style) bolt-on shackles.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:02 am

Any of the setups similar to that are less than ideal when comparing to a dedicated high/low row, but certainly better than nothing. They're fine for things like triceps press-downs, flies, one-arm rows, and other relatively light stuff.

When you get heavy, though, some exercises you can't do with as much weight as you might want, like lat pulldowns, because your mass has to be greater than the mass of what you're pulling or you'll end up coming off the ground. Also, the stack will sway a bit which makes it have an odd feel sometimes.

If you go this route, try to use bigger pulleys. Also make sure everything has a solid weight rating on it. Skill in built a DIY one with Amazon parts and a home depot trip.