Overcoming Isometric (MVIC)

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

dara

Overcoming Isometric (MVIC)

Post by dara » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:20 am

Maximum voluntary isometric contraction (MVIC) or type of overcoming isometric (push, pull against imovable object) where max effort is applied by ramping up or by rapid conctraction (ballistic).

Did you ever use it and your opinion on this type of training?

- Ramp up is slowly increasing tension until it reache peak point and maintain it few seconds (usualy recommended duration of repetition 5/6 sec.) for developing max strength.
Rapid concration (ballistic) is fast increasing in tension from start max effort (usualy recommended duration of repetition 1/3 sec.) for developing Rate Of Force Development RFD (explosivnes).

Time of hold is approx for everybody but RFD capability is individual like time of maintaining peak force, the only way to know for shure is using Force Hooks device, do you have something more on this?

- Researches on positions says that long muscle lengths (stretched) have better transfer trough ROM (higher degree) when done at short muscle lengths angle of transfer is smaller.
Some advocate doing it just on long muscle lenghts and some in multiple position (3 points) trough ROM.
Research on bench press says that gain in strength was same doing only one point (90°) and doing 3 points but main difference was that 3 point gained better power production.
Its powerfull tool for sticking points.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Overcoming Isometric (MVIC)

Post by mgil » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

The old (1960s) shallow footprint York racks were built for isometric work.

Mike T. has done isometrics similar to this when he’s been unable to access equipment.

I think that it’s probably something that can supplement or sustain for a period of time, but it’s not a long term strength/hypertrophy solution.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:21 pm

dara wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:20 am Maximum voluntary isometric contraction (MVIC) or type of overcoming isometric (push, pull against imovable object) where max effort is applied by ramping up or by rapid conctraction (ballistic).

Did you ever use it and your opinion on this type of training?

- Ramp up is slowly increasing tension until it reache peak point and maintain it few seconds (usualy recommended duration of repetition 5/6 sec.) for developing max strength.
Rapid concration (ballistic) is fast increasing in tension from start max effort (usualy recommended duration of repetition 1/3 sec.) for developing Rate Of Force Development RFD (explosivnes).

Time of hold is approx for everybody but RFD capability is individual like time of maintaining peak force, the only way to know for shure is using Force Hooks device, do you have something more on this?

- Researches on positions says that long muscle lengths (stretched) have better transfer trough ROM (higher degree) when done at short muscle lengths angle of transfer is smaller.
Some advocate doing it just on long muscle lenghts and some in multiple position (3 points) trough ROM.
Research on bench press says that gain in strength was same doing only one point (90°) and doing 3 points but main difference was that 3 point gained better power production.
Its powerfull tool for sticking points.
It works great, as the Weightlifters from the 1960's will tell you, their sudden PR's and comp success had nothing to do with the Deca, it was all Isometrics. LOL.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:55 am

I've never tried, but my thinking is: why do isometrics when you can just do the regular lifts ? Unless you're injured or can't perform the regular lifts for whatever reason I guess it might make sense. Also if you're concerned about stopping at a particular "sticking point" that you want to emphasize, why not just do paused/pin work ? Now I guess anything can work so you can just try and figure out if it works for the particular individual. I'm curious, is there research comparing isometrics vs regular lifting for strength and/or hypertrophy ?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:29 pm

as has been conveyed elsewhere....
DCR wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:58 am
dara wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:59 am Thank for answers, i found something on net about singles, can be good for strength doing singles at 80% - 85% with 30 seconds between rep as much as you can something like clusters?
Do it for a few weeks and let us know what happened. If you confirm that you’re gonna try it and start a log, I’ll try it with you.
post a log....any fucking log...I'll do what you do

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Wed May 01, 2024 6:35 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:55 am I've never tried, but my thinking is: why do isometrics when you can just do the regular lifts ? Unless you're injured or can't perform the regular lifts for whatever reason I guess it might make sense. Also if you're concerned about stopping at a particular "sticking point" that you want to emphasize, why not just do paused/pin work ? Now I guess anything can work so you can just try and figure out if it works for the particular individual. I'm curious, is there research comparing isometrics vs regular lifting for strength and/or hypertrophy ?
As a grappling practitioner, I definitely see some interesting applications for isometric training. Not instead of, but in addition to.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Wed May 01, 2024 7:26 am

Hanley wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:29 pm as has been conveyed elsewhere....
DCR wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:58 am
dara wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:59 am Thank for answers, i found something on net about singles, can be good for strength doing singles at 80% - 85% with 30 seconds between rep as much as you can something like clusters?
Do it for a few weeks and let us know what happened. If you confirm that you’re gonna try it and start a log, I’ll try it with you.
post a log....any fucking log...I'll do what you do
Had to run a search to remind myself in what context I'd said that. Aaaand...it was a(n alleged) curl program. That tracks.

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Fri May 03, 2024 5:27 am

AlanMackey wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:35 am
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:55 am I've never tried, but my thinking is: why do isometrics when you can just do the regular lifts ? Unless you're injured or can't perform the regular lifts for whatever reason I guess it might make sense. Also if you're concerned about stopping at a particular "sticking point" that you want to emphasize, why not just do paused/pin work ? Now I guess anything can work so you can just try and figure out if it works for the particular individual. I'm curious, is there research comparing isometrics vs regular lifting for strength and/or hypertrophy ?
As a grappling practitioner, I definitely see some interesting applications for isometric training. Not instead of, but in addition to.
This is really interesting. I saw a huge improvement in my ability to strike with isometrics, after having already trained with barbells.

Someone I really respected told me to do it. I thought it was bs. Still do them just about every day.

Not BS. Have no idea why.