Trap Bar: Yea Or Nay?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Michiganian

Trap Bar: Yea Or Nay?

Post by Michiganian » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:21 pm

I've been debating acquiring a REP Open Trap Bar. Keep going back and forth on the idea.

Current Weight Equipment:
  • Functional trainer (w/various attachments)
  • Short squat stand w/safety spotter arms
  • Bench (IM SB Pro w/attachments)
  • Olympic and EZ-Curl bars
  • Plates (270 lbs.)
  • IM/Hoist adj. DBs (45 lbs.)
  • Back hyper bench
And various and sundry other gym paraphernalia.

Stopped doing BB DLs a couple months back when, upon hitting about my body weight in lifts, I could no longer keep my back acceptably straight. Substituted Pendlay Rows and added BB hip thrusts and weighted back hyperextensions to focus on back development. (Was already doing RDLs.)

I have since read some coaches no longer train BB DLs, instead training trap bar DLs--one of the reasons being the same reason I stopped doing BB DLs. I've also have read doing trap bar DLs can help develop the ability to do BB DLs.

Conversely, Rippetoe and other strength coaches feel trap bar DLs ineffective for what BB DLs train.

Thoughts on the utility of a trap bar?

Hardartery

Re: Trap Bar: Yea Or Nay?

Post by Hardartery » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:10 pm

I dislike/love the trap bar. I think it comes down to personal need. Some guys for various reasons need to use it, most people do not. For me, they are significantly easier, so me ego loves them but they don't do much for my development. Plus, they only hold so many plates and that can quickly become a problem - especially if you are using bumpers. So, expect to be investing in plates to go along with it.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:15 pm

Hardartery wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:10 pmPlus, they only hold so many plates and that can quickly become a problem - especially if you are using bumpers. So, expect to be investing in plates to go along with it.
I couldn't find any specs, but how long are the sleeves on the Öppen Bar?

Do all trap bars follow some generalized specs? I remember arguments sparking off in the gym whenever someone would ask how much they generally weighed.

I'd imagine that whether or not additional plate purchases are warranted would depend on what you're doing with it.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:49 pm

Michiganian wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:21 pm Stopped doing BB DLs a couple months back when, upon hitting about my body weight in lifts, I could no longer keep my back acceptably straight.
This throws up red flags for me, sounds like you might be overly neurotic about having “perfect form”. How many reps at what weight? Do you have video?

Anyway, trap bars are fine if you like them but I didn’t use my Oppen bar much after the initial novelty wore off so I sold it. I would probably go with the Rep version if I decided to get another one though. It has full sleeves whereas the new V2 of the Oppen bar doesn’t (and it was already overpriced for what it was).

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:22 pm

TimK wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:49 pmAnyway, trap bars are fine if you like them but I didn’t use my Oppen bar much after the initial novelty wore off so I sold it.
Just curious: did you ever use it for lunges?

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:09 pm

Renascent wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:22 pm
TimK wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:49 pmAnyway, trap bars are fine if you like them but I didn’t use my Oppen bar much after the initial novelty wore off so I sold it.
No, I think I might have tried once and my knee was hitting the front of the bar…? Maybe supposed to have the open end forward? Can’t remember exactly. Might depend on your femur length?

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:13 pm

TimK wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:09 pm
No, I think I might have tried once and my knee was hitting the front of the bar…? Maybe supposed to have the open end forward? Can’t remember exactly. Might depend on your femur length?
Gotcha.

Kinda figured the open end probably belongs in front, but I've never come across any real feedback about open trap bars as a whole, beyond deadlift-centric stuff.

Thanks.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:24 am

Hardartery wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:10 pm I dislike/love the trap bar. I think it comes down to personal need. Some guys for various reasons need to use it, most people do not. For me, they are significantly easier, so me ego loves them but they don't do much for my development. Plus, they only hold so many plates and that can quickly become a problem - especially if you are using bumpers. So, expect to be investing in plates to go along with it.
pretty good summation.

I never thought any form of DEADlift (i.e. pulled from a dead stop, or even bouncing) was good for hypertrophy. And I think a lot of anecdotal data out there backs that up. Maybe they are good for strength ....

It seems most people using the trap bar, are just "doing it" like a deadlift: Short ROM, either no eccentric movement, and/or limited eccentric (controlled drop). OR, even say if you DO do some kind of floating squat-dead hybrid movement thing with a trap bar (with an eccentric component, a SRF, and the concentric) like a normal barbell movement .... the ROM of some of the joints are just kinda meh. Even low handles, or low handles plus standing on a bumper plate .... sure you COULD do that.... but there are much better options there: deep BB squats, RDLs (not a "dead"lift), lunges, etc. I seems you are just unnecessarily holding onto the bar when you could be squatting, lunging, etc.

I would explore a belt squat attachment, or machine (depends on budget) first. OR a nice dumbbell set ...

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:27 am

Michiganian wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:21 pm I've been debating acquiring a REP Open Trap Bar. Keep going back and forth on the idea.

Current Weight Equipment:
  • Functional trainer (w/various attachments)
  • Short squat stand w/safety spotter arms
  • Bench (IM SB Pro w/attachments)
  • Olympic and EZ-Curl bars
  • Plates (270 lbs.)
  • IM/Hoist adj. DBs (45 lbs.)
  • Back hyper bench
you are gonna need more plates first IMO

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:33 am

Renascent wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:13 pm
TimK wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:09 pm
Gotcha.

Kinda figured the open end probably belongs in front, but I've never come across any real feedback about open trap bars as a whole, beyond deadlift-centric stuff.

Thanks.
I was curious on this as well. Doing lunges. I think yes, the open part goes in front..... and it SEEMS perilous, but the closed end stays over your trailing leg in the back .... but alas the bent and lowered leg should stay under the bar. But seems sus to me.

It would seem here^ that guy is barely clearing his trail leg. OR, if you had an open bar with low handles, the bar would be 'up' higher (from hitting the trail leg)

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:38 am

Renascent wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:15 pm
Hardartery wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:10 pmPlus, they only hold so many plates and that can quickly become a problem - especially if you are using bumpers. So, expect to be investing in plates to go along with it.
I couldn't find any specs, but how long are the sleeves on the Öppen Bar?

Do all trap bars follow some generalized specs? I remember arguments sparking off in the gym whenever someone would ask how much they generally weighed.

I'd imagine that whether or not additional plate purchases are warranted would depend on what you're doing with it.
I am unaware of any standard spec other than diameter for the plates. Most of them seem a little short as far as sleeves go, but it doesn't matter if they are the same as normal if you have to load more plates than with a straight bar. Maybe space is not an issue for everyone, but I know it was for us (Me and training partner) and if you have bumpers forget it. Mostly I was looking at his stated pounds of plates, 270 doesn't go far on a Trap bar.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:06 am

TimK wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:49 pm
Michiganian wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:21 pm Stopped doing BB DLs a couple months back when, upon hitting about my body weight in lifts, I could no longer keep my back acceptably straight.
This throws up red flags for me, sounds like you might be overly neurotic about having “perfect form”.
No, not perfect. If I'd been obsessed with perfect form I would've stopped long before I did.
TimK wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:49 pm How many reps at what weight? Do you have video?
Doing three sets of five lifts. Here's the last time I did DLs (185 lbs.): https://www.linxnet.com/misc/Videos/Fit ... 231020.mp4 Note mid-to-lower back is just beginning to round during the eccentric.

I've sciatica on the right side. I don't need to aggravate it nor induce additional lower-back injury in working to get more fit. So I'm being cautious.
mbasic wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:24 am I never thought any form of DEADlift (i.e. pulled from a dead stop, or even bouncing) was good for hypertrophy. And I think a lot of anecdotal data out there backs that up. Maybe they are good for strength ....
There's a lot of disagreement, yet the DL remains one of the recommended core compound movements in strength training ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm training primarily for strength, to battle the onslaught of age, and to promote fat loss. Not so much for hypertrophy, but, if I'm being honest with myself, somewhat for aesthetics. Who doesn't prefer to look good?
mbasic wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:24 am ... there are much better options there: deep BB squats, RDLs (not a "dead"lift), lunges, etc. I seems you are just unnecessarily holding onto the bar when you could be squatting, lunging, etc.
Already doing squats, front squats, and RDLs. The point is I'd like to work back up to doing DLs again.
mbasic wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:24 am I would explore a belt squat attachment, or machine (depends on budget) first. OR a nice dumbbell set ...
For the machines it's not so much budget as it is space. I don't currently have any remaining. A trap bar would take up little additional space and is easily moved.

Upgrading the DBs may happen someday. Not today.
mbasic wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:27 am you are gonna need more plates first IMO
I'll get more plates when I've exhausted the plates I have already. I'm not even close to that.

I'm going on seventy-three years old. I'm not lifting heavy ;)
Hardartery wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:38 am Mostly I was looking at his stated pounds of plates, 270 doesn't go far on a Trap bar.
I can buy more plates :)

Thanks for the feedback/comments, everybody!

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:09 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:33 am
Renascent wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:13 pmKinda figured the open end probably belongs in front, but I've never come across any real feedback about open trap bars as a whole, beyond deadlift-centric stuff.

Thanks.
I was curious on this as well. Doing lunges. I think yes, the open part goes in front..... and it SEEMS perilous, but the closed end stays over your trailing leg in the back .... but alas the bent and lowered leg should stay under the bar. But seems sus to me.

It would seem here^ that guy is barely clearing his trail leg. OR, if you had an open bar with low handles, the bar would be 'up' higher (from hitting the trail leg)
Yeah, it didn't occur to me until after I'd asked about the lunges that there's probably nothing you can do with a trap bar that can't already be done with dumbbells, outside of heavy deadlifting. Even if I can do lunges with one, screwy timing or proprioception might make it more trouble than it's worth.

While I'm still partial to the idea of eventually acquiring a trap bar for the sake of variety, I suppose it's not going to offer much of a novel stimulus aside from pulls (or neutral-grip presses).
Hardartery wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:38 amMostly I was looking at his stated pounds of plates, 270 doesn't go far on a Trap bar.
Gotcha. I misunderstood.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:43 pm

I've sciatica on the right side. I don't need to aggravate it nor induce additional lower-back injury in working to get more fit. So I'm being cautious.
Thoughts on the utility of a trap bar?
I have nothing against trap bars. I view them as a hybrid movement between deadlifts and squats. If someone insisted on doing just one lower-body lift, I think trap bar deadlifts would be a fine choice.

But in your case, I don't see a need to swap barbell deadlifts for trap bar deadlifts. I think your deadlifts look fine.

I understand your wanting to be cautious. But neither of your posts mentioned experiencing any pain from deadlifts, so why not just stick with them and progress slowly?

That said, if you'll feel more comfortable/confident/less-worried using a trap bar, then make the switch.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:53 am

Hardartery wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:38 am Most [trap bars] seem a little short as far as sleeves go, ...
The REP open trap bar's sleeves are actually a skosh longer than those on my Vulcan Oly bar.
Hardartery wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:38 am ... but it doesn't matter if they are the same as normal if you have to load more plates than with a straight bar.
If you're lifting heavy I can see that as being a potential issue. I doubt it'd ever be a problem for me ;)
Hardartery wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:38 am Mostly I was looking at his stated pounds of plates, 270 doesn't go far on a Trap bar.
No, it wouldn't, but, unless my math is off, I calculate I could put 810 lbs. of 45 lb. plates, using the REP rubber-coated grip plates I'm using, on the REP trap bar. That's way more than I can see myself ever lifting.
asdf wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:43 pm But in your case, I don't see a need to swap barbell deadlifts for trap bar deadlifts. I think your deadlifts look fine.
Thanks!
asdf wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:43 pm I understand your wanting to be cautious. But neither of your posts mentioned experiencing any pain from deadlifts, so why not just stick with them and progress slowly?
I dunno about that. ISTM that, especially where the back is concerned, waiting until you felt pain might not be a wise course of action. When your spine isn't neutral the chance of spinal injury goes way up, and such injuries often never heal. Thus my caution.
asdf wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:43 pm That said, if you'll feel more comfortable/confident/less-worried using a trap bar, then make the switch.
To be clear: The thought isn't to abandon BB DLs entirely, but to give myself an option.

Still on the fence. Maybe I'll just continue on strengthening my back, for now, and look into hip mobility exercises. See if I can't improve my BB DL form, first.

It may be part of (?) my interest in a trap bar is just wanting another piece of gym gear Image

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:27 pm

I like the trap bar. Mine is from Bells of Steel, a viable budget option if you don't want to spend Eleiko money on a specialty bar.

I don't use it for heavy singles/doubles, but it gets a lot of use for volume pulling. For a while, it was my only lower body lift. I appreciate the built-in jack feature for loading and unloading. You can fit plenty of plates on there (I've never used more than 5 per side).

If you're powerlifting, you obviously need the specificity of the barbell movement.

Run the race Buy the bar, Michiganian

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:31 am

BostonRugger wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:27 pm I like the trap bar. Mine is from Bells of Steel, a viable budget option if you don't want to spend Eleiko money on a specialty bar.
So I went and looked at the BoS open trap bar. The budget one isn't rackable. I don't know as I need it to be rackable, but I might want that.

Reading Coop's review of the higher-end BoS trap bar (which doesn't appear to be currently available) led me to watching his review of the GIANT Lifting Open Trap Bar. If one wanted to get most of the advantages of REPs bar and save a buck or two it looks like that'd be a good way to go.

Still: All things considered: I'm inclined to stick with REPs bar.
BostonRugger wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:27 pm Run the race Buy the bar, Michiganian
I'm marginally >< leaning in that direction... today Image

Thinking is: Between the comments here and the various articles I've read on the pros and cons, the only way I'm ever really going to know is to acquire one for myself and find out.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:28 am

I’m a bit late to this, but I thought it would be good to answer the question in a more general sense.

I use the trap bar as my primary lower body lift now, for the reason @asdf mentioned, it’s a bit of a hybrid movement. I do need to supplement that with something that has a bit more hip ROM, however. [Evidence that I still somewhat lift incoming.]

I bought my trap bar pre pandemic from Wright Fitness Equipment for $185. It’s a rackable bar and has long sleeves. Weighs about 60lbs.

I don’t do conventional DL anymore at all. If I use the barbell, I pull sumo. Again, more ROM at the knee and hip.

The lower body stuff I’ve been doing along with interval work on the air bike has put size back on my quads.

Having said the above, do I think everyone else should do what I do? No. Yet I do think the trap bar is better tool for pulling weight from the floor. It offers a neutral grip which puts the biceps tendons at lower risk. It allows the knees and hips to extend in a more optimal way since the bar is not actively pushing against the legs and the center of mass is over the contact point of the kinetic chain. @Hardartery mentions it typically allowing the lifter to pull more weight, which implies higher efficiency of the system as well as more muscle mass involved.

Just don’t use the high handles. 🙂

asdf

Post by asdf » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:57 am

mgil wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:28 am trap bar ... offers a neutral grip which puts the biceps tendons at lower risk.
That's a good point. Do you use a hook grip?

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:27 am

mgil wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:28 am I’m a bit late to this, ...
Better late than never :) Thanks for the input.
mgil wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:28 am Just don’t use the high handles. 🙂
Between my DL mats (they're 3/4 in. thick), the high handles, and the low handles on the TB, I could get whatever I wanted--incl. a deficit lift if I wanted to add a fourth mat. (Tho a square of 3/4 in. MDF under the middle mat would be a lot more economical, I s'pose.)