Would this count as a low-fatigue strength routine? Also, question about singles.

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Bolder

Would this count as a low-fatigue strength routine? Also, question about singles.

Post by Bolder » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:00 am

Hello everybody,

This is Greg Nuckol's High-Frequency Program: https://liftvault.com/programs/powerlif ... -versions/

Which says a lot of the work is quite further away from failure? Which means it builds up less fatigue? Meaning less chance for injuries?

If so, how would one program in top singles? How often or frequently should they be done in a week to make it more powerlifting-specific?

Thanks,

Bolder

CheekiBreekiFitness

Re: Would this count as a low-fatigue strength routine? Also, question about singles.

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:35 am

Most of the sets would have at least 5 reps in reserve, so it would indeed be "low fatigue".

Now does it create "less fatigue" and/or "less chance for injury" ? I'm not sure, what are you comparing the program against ?

As far as singles is concerned, the program already programs singles doesn't it ?

Bolder

Re: Would this count as a low-fatigue strength routine? Also, question about singles.

Post by Bolder » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:21 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:35 am Most of the sets would have at least 5 reps in reserve, so it would indeed be "low fatigue".

Now does it create "less fatigue" and/or "less chance for injury" ? I'm not sure, what are you comparing the program against ?

As far as singles is concerned, the program already programs singles doesn't it ?
1) I see. I suppose thank goodness for it being "low- fatigue." Thanks.

2) I am not up-to-date with current literature, nor am I well versed in this sort of stuff. It's been said that fatigue and/or load cause tend to cause injuries (this was sort of the view a couple of years ago, unless it has changed. I am happy to be proved wrong. I am not too hung up on it).

3) The program does not have singles programmed, and that is why I asked how I would strategize adding top singles in that program. My initial thought was just doing heavy single for squats on Monday, heavy single for bench on Wednesday, and a heavy single for deadlifts on Friday (unless someone here has a better strategy), so 1 each, or should I do the heavy singles as often as possible? Obviously, all before doing the main or back-off sets.

Thanks.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:03 am

Bolder wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:00 am Hello everybody,

This is Greg Nuckol's High-Frequency Program: https://liftvault.com/programs/powerlif ... -versions/

Which says a lot of the work is quite further away from failure? Which means it builds up less fatigue? Meaning less chance for injuries?

If so, how would one program in top singles? How often or frequently should they be done in a week to make it more powerlifting-specific?

Thanks,

Bolder
To the point, you would NOT program in top singles. You would run the program for whatever number of weeks and then either restart with new numbers or more likely alternate to a peaking program and then restart with post peak numbers. Adding in top singles is the antithesis of the program.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:12 am

Hardartery wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:03 am
Bolder wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:00 am Hello everybody,

Thanks,

Bolder
To the point, you would NOT program in top singles. You would run the program for whatever number of weeks and then either restart with new numbers or more likely alternate to a peaking program and then restart with post peak numbers. Adding in top singles is the antithesis of the program.
Yeah, that would probably make sense. It's best to run it as intended. Thanks.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:16 am

Bolder wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:21 am
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:35 am Most of the sets would have at least 5 reps in reserve, so it would indeed be "low fatigue".

2) I am not up-to-date with current literature, nor am I well versed in this sort of stuff. It's been said that fatigue and/or load cause tend to cause injuries (this was sort of the view a couple of years ago, unless it has changed. I am happy to be proved wrong. I am not too hung up on it).

3) The program does not have singles programmed, and that is why I asked how I would strategize adding top singles in that program. My initial thought was just doing heavy single for squats on Monday, heavy single for bench on Wednesday, and a heavy single for deadlifts on Friday (unless someone here has a better strategy), so 1 each, or should I do the heavy singles as often as possible? Obviously, all before doing the main or back-off sets.

Thanks.
2) I mean I think its pretty obvious that if you increase one parameter (volume, intensity, frequency, proximity to failure etc) and keep the rest constant then it'll be more fatiguing and possibly more injurious. 5 sets of 5 with 10 reps in reserve once a week will be less fatiguing than 5 sets of 5 with 2 reps in reserve once a week, but this type of comparison is never what happens in practice. It's more like "a lot of sets very far away from failure" vs "a few sets closer to failure" and honestly it's hard to predict which is "more injurious", as long as you don't go to actual failure every set. Anyways, lifting weights is very safe, the risk of injury is so low (providing you stay within the bounds of "non retarded programming"). I wouldn't worry about it. The injury risk of driving to the gym is much greater than that of squatting/benching/deadlifting in it.

3) I'm looking at "Greg Nuckols High Frequency Program Spreadsheet – Version 1 (Exact)", Week 1, Day 4. The prescription is 3 sets of 1 reps at 85%. Those are singles, no ?

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:48 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:16 am
Bolder wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:21 am

Thanks.
2) I mean I think its pretty obvious that if you increase one parameter (volume, intensity, frequency, proximity to failure etc) and keep the rest constant then it'll be more fatiguing and possibly more injurious. 5 sets of 5 with 10 reps in reserve once a week will be less fatiguing than 5 sets of 5 with 2 reps in reserve once a week, but this type of comparison is never what happens in practice. It's more like "a lot of sets very far away from failure" vs "a few sets closer to failure" and honestly it's hard to predict which is "more injurious", as long as you don't go to actual failure every set. Anyways, lifting weights is very safe, the risk of injury is so low (providing you stay within the bounds of "non retarded programming"). I wouldn't worry about it. The injury risk of driving to the gym is much greater than that of squatting/benching/deadlifting in it.

3) I'm looking at "Greg Nuckols High Frequency Program Spreadsheet – Version 1 (Exact)", Week 1, Day 4. The prescription is 3 sets of 1 reps at 85%. Those are singles, no ?
2) Thanks. Yes, it is hard to predict as to when an injury would occur, but however there is a risk with lifting heavy, and I'm not sure if this was cited, but more powerlifters/strongmen get injured than bodybuilders? I believe in an article from long ago, Greg Nuckols mentioned that 70% of powerlifters are training through an injury.

3) Yeah, they're singles, but it's very light, and not specific enough. I suppose I'll take it as is (when I start using this routine in the near future. Currently peaking at the moment).

Thanks.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:55 am

A few somewhat disconnected thoughts on injury:

- Most of the gym injuries I'm aware of happened to people using horrendous form and too much weight. Among the sort of people who plan their workouts and pay attention to form and nutrition, injuries seem to be much less common. Not that injuries are necessarily the norm for people who do idiotic things in the gym, either.

- In my experience, powerlifting is less injurious than competitive running or swimming, and less injurious than BJJ or judo period. There's only three movements you have to do, it's infinitely scaleable, and you only have to not screw up for 20 seconds as opposed to say, the duration of a 5k. Your mileage may vary, though.

- Form will be less than perfect when training at your limit, the way powerlifters might have a tendency to. Injury is more likely when form is not quite right.

- Fatigue management is something you must learn how to do regardless of programming style. Fatigue is also, in my experience, pretty observable. If you mind yourself mentally dreading training, feeling sluggish and slow, losing your appetite, etc. you're fatigued. And you can reduce fatigue by cutting down volume, intensity, or frequency as needed.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:26 am

Word dump - please excuse formatting.
Define “powerlifting specific”. Ed Coan, Dave Hoff, Mike T, all have different programming strategies that can be considered powerlifting. I think you can have powerlifting specific training that avoids single work (outside of a peak)

I’ve tried that program a couple of time for press, with limited results. It works as a peak in skill, but I also ended up beating myself up by pushing the intensity, which is the standard intermediate mistake. I’ve had better luck mixing up the lifts.

Singles at 85% are probably specific enough, but I would want to do like maybe 5-8+ of them. If you want to do a singles based program - do a singles based program.
u/dadliftnruns (aka nsuns) over in Redditworld has a press every day program that could work. Basically a daily minimum of singles at around 85%, then back off work 3-4 times a week.

GZCL can also be set up as a singles program. There’s a section on it in his adaptations and applications post on his blog. His general Gainz program uses singles after a 3-5 rep hard set as back offs, so you get one hard RPE set, followed by neural skill practice with the singles. Which is followed by supplemental exercises for strength and hypertrophy.
GZCL has something like over 1700 consecutive days lifting, and has written about it extensively on his blog.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:08 am

Thanks for your inputs.

- Bolder.