New programming, such a mess

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Allentown
Likes Beer

New programming, such a mess

Post by Allentown » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:02 am

I was going to post this in the "training with kids" thread, but I didn't want to drag that into "help Allent with his special snowflake programming."

Something I am trying to figure out now is that my wife usually works 9-6 or 7, 4 to 6 days a week, with Mondays off, 2 Saturdays a month off, and 3 Sundays a month off. A few times a month she works 7-4, and sometimes 8-6. She sometimes has to go in early, and nearly always has to stay 15-60 minutes late. Kid goes to bed between 7 and 8, wakes up around 5:30. I work 7:15 (alright, 7:30) to 3:45, but I could shift that to 9-5 if I wanted to.

Garage gym, kid doesn't really like being out there any more (though I have enough room that I could set up a little play area, probably) and it's going to start getting really cold out there.

So-
  1. do I keep things how they are currently, lifting on days she gets home before 7, days where someone comes over to watch the kid, and make lifting on the weekend a higher priority so I at least get three sessions in a week?
  • do I shift my work back a little, give my wife the morning shift, and kindly inform her that she doesn't really NEED to do her hair and makeup every morning, while I get in a :45 to 1:15 session two days a week, then make lifting on the weekend priority #1?
  • do I suck it up and lift after kid goes to bed, again making training on the weekend a higher priority?
One thing is becoming clear- priorities really need to be set, and I am thinking adding another bar, and either a new rack or a set of spotter arms and second j-hooks would be very helpful.

Here is as good a place as any to outline what I'm thinking for my programming:
Considerations-
at the bare minimum, I can commit to 3 sessions a week, probably 45 minutes. Average would probably be at least two sessions around 90 minutes, two sessions between 30-60 minutes. These sessions will be scattered on random days (90 min Sat, 2 hours Sun, 30 min Mon, 45 min Wed, 60 min Thurs, 90 min Sun...), but Sunday is the most available day, Saturday second most, then assorted availability depending on when I decide to train, my wife's work schedule, and when family/friends want to take the kid for a bit. I still don't fully trust my lower back. Still fighting off a cold after 12 weeks.

Equipment-
Cage, one bar, plenty of weights, prowler, farmers handles, dip attachment, gymnastic rings, kettle bells, chains, bands, broken treadmill, 90lb heavy bag, plenty of sidewalks.

Priorities-
in order: bench, getting my squat back up to pre-baby and early post-baby PRs then beyond, conditioning, goofing around.

Plan-
Set up "blocks" of exercises, weighted based on priorities. Each block must be able to be completed in under 45 minutes. Weights must take into account the possibility that a training week might consist of three 45 minute sessions on three consecutive days.

Blocks/Weight-
Bench Volume (density?) /1
Squat Intensity /2
Prowler-Farmer-Deadmill-run-bag carry /3
Bench Intensity /4
Squat Volume /5
Deadlift volume /6
Prowler-Farmer-Deadmill-run-bag carry /7
Upper assistance (military press, DB bench, DB press) /8
Upper back work /9
Direct arm work /10

Some of these things could pair well, depending- I can do upper assistance during or after squats or DL, and back work during or after bench stuff. Direct arm work pretty much any time- I could even bring bands in to work and superset CoC with band curls and REALLY annoy my coworkers.

So, given my restrictions and goals, does the "exercise block" idea sound good? Should I train in the morning, or after 8PM? Am I missing any blocks, should I adjust the weights of anything, add anything in?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: New programming, such a mess

Post by mgil » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:06 am

Program:

Do whatever you can.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:25 am

Ok so I sympathize with what you are going through, I am lucky that I go to a globo gym and they offer kid care. My old lady is in paramedic school 5 days a week and works in the hospital 36 hours a week so I am basically a single parent.

Working a session or two after the little one goes to bed might be best if you feel up to it. If you start putting the emphases on getting him to bed as close to 7 as possible then you can get a major chunk of training done by 9:30 and be showered and in bed by 10:30.

Also for the most part during this phase just doing one major lift a session might just be best with the limited time available.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:06 am

LexAnderson wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:25 am Ok so I sympathize with what you are going through, I am lucky that I go to a globo gym and they offer kid care. My old lady is in paramedic school 5 days a week and works in the hospital 36 hours a week so I am basically a single parent.

Working a session or two after the little one goes to bed might be best if you feel up to it. If you start putting the emphases on getting him to bed as close to 7 as possible then you can get a major chunk of training done by 9:30 and be showered and in bed by 10:30.

Also for the most part during this phase just doing one major lift a session might just be best with the limited time available.
Oof, going to need more coffee if I push bed time from 9:30 target (9:45 realistic). Can improve AM efficiency by bringing breakfast in to work, though.

There is a Y down the street from his daycare that has childcare, but I think it's for >1yo. I think there is a gym or two between my work and daycare, also, I could potentially go from work to the gym and get the kid from daycare after, but I think the daycare closes at 6 and you do not want to be late, so I'd be back to around an hour of lifting time pushing it close.

The "one major lift" thing is the reasoning behind the block weighting- each session I can get the plan would be to do the most important thing I haven't done recently, working my way down the list every 7 or so days. So the more time I have, the further down I can get, but I'll pretty much always AT LEAST get some bench volume, heavy squatting, and conditioning done.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:14 am

How old is he?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:15 am

LexAnderson wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:14 am How old is he?
Just hit 8mo.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:19 am

Ok, well when he hits 1 then the Y would be a great option for you depending on when they close childcare. But I think what you got here could work. Just gotta put it to practice and see how it goes.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:23 am

mgil wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:06 am Program:

Do whatever you can.
This ^^^^. You can literally google "flexible training" and find a lot of information. Andy Baker has written on this, Mike Tuchschschschschscherer has written on this. I would aim at 2x/wk, two lifts each day, H/L, progressing the weight whenever.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:42 am

Allentown wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:02 am
  • do I shift my work back a little, give my wife the morning shift, and kindly inform her that she doesn't really NEED to do her hair and makeup every morning, while I get in a :45 to 1:15 session two days a week, then make lifting on the weekend priority #1?
While I agree here, this struck me as a really bad idea for reasons.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:49 am

damufunman wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:42 am
Allentown wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:02 am
While I agree here, this struck me as a really bad idea for reasons.
Probably. Just a little bit of frustration at the "your job has me doing the single-parent thing 3+ weeknights a week and nearly half the weekends, and your morning routine has me doing a 1.5 parent thing most weekday mornings, could I perhaps get more than a diaper change in the morning instead of curling your hair on the days I leave at 7 and you leave at 8:30?"

I also wish I could remember who's log I stole this idea from.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:53 am

Allentown wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:49 am Probably. Just a little bit of frustration at the "your job has me doing the single-parent thing 3+ weeknights a week and nearly half the weekends, and your morning routine has me doing a 1.5 parent thing most weekday mornings, could I perhaps get more than a diaper change in the morning instead of curling your hair on the days I leave at 7 and you leave at 8:30?"

I also wish I could remember who's log I stole this idea from.
Yeah I hear ya, compromise sometimes doesn't seem to work out right...

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:58 am

damufunman wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:53 am Yeah I hear ya, compromise sometimes doesn't seem to work out right...
I also know, though, that like training for me, doing her hair & makeup is something she holds on to as a de-stressor from parenting- like "look, I have a baby, but I still make time for myself" thing. So... I should probably throw out the idea of morning training, and be more understanding.

Hey, I learned something.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:01 am

Allentown wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:58 am
damufunman wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:53 am Yeah I hear ya, compromise sometimes doesn't seem to work out right...
I also know, though, that like training for me, doing her hair & makeup is something she holds on to as a de-stressor from parenting- like "look, I have a baby, but I still make time for myself" thing. So... I should probably throw out the idea of morning training, and be more understanding.

Hey, I learned something.
Don't let her know that you see her getting ready as "her time", then she will start to abuse it. My wife has started to pick up on how much I need to go #2 lately.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:13 am

LexAnderson wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:01 am Don't let her know that you see her getting ready as "her time", then she will start to abuse it. My wife has started to pick up on how much I need to go #2 lately.
It's probably a perception thing, though, I overestimate how much I do and underestimate how much I think she does re: getting things ready.

Anyways, AM training is out.
I think I'll start this right away- might try a post-bed bench density block tonight or tomorrow night.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:15 am

Allen, do you have a HR monitor?

Given your sched, I'd dump all conditioning and accessory/assistance work into "cardio blocks".

Do 2 conditioning blocks a week. Make the first a 30 min circuit keeping your HR somewhere around 130ish, doing all sorts of assistance (dips, chins, DB shit, arm stuff, etc). Build the the 2nd cardio block thusly: (15 mins of circuit doing row-y or upper back shit shit, then classic sprint intervals using jump-rope/prowler/etc).

For the barbell stuff, I like the highly flexible block idea. I'd bench 3X/week and Squat 2X/week.

Make your default block hypertrophy for both squat and bench. Here are some suggestions for decision "rules":

if you feel okay and have time -> hypertrophy block (get the tonnage; doesn't matter how. Mix shit up. 8s, density, 5s...hit a tonnage threshold)
if you feel shitty or have limited time -> power block (about 8 singles at 80%)
if you feel fucking awesome -> strength block (maybe a pyramid of doubles or triples?)

So that's 3 bench slots (can do each in 20 mins); 2 squat slots (~20-30 mins each); and two "everything/cardio blocks" (probably 20-40 mins each). Plug them into your week however the fuck you can.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:17 am

I do a lot of the house and kidwork. Sometimes I break my workouts into lifts throughout the day.

So my squat workout is:
- "hey I'm going downstiars for 10 minutes" - warmup
back upstairs, wash some dishes 3 minutes then
hit my first set - walking down, belting up and a set of five take 2 minutes.
- back upstairs, set the alarm for 6 minutes, play with kids, stir the sauce etc.
- back downstairs
- rinse repeat
This worked with a 3 and a 1 year old.
Press is even easier as I have home depot bucket stands in the mudroom

If I squat before/during dinner, then I can press/deadlift after the kids are asleep

The girls wonder why I'm always out of breath though...
My valsalva freaks out my eldest.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:28 am

Any possibility of hiring a babysitter to come over and watch him while you train?

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:35 am

TimK wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:28 am Any possibility of hiring a babysitter to come over and watch him while you train?
Jonah Hill is available.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:36 am

Allentown wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:13 am It's probably a perception thing, though, I overestimate how much I do and underestimate how much I think she does re: getting things ready.
I tend to do this, along with devaluing her hobbies as wasting money, while I can drop hundreds on gym stuff (though I haven't done that in a while, aside from home setup).
Anyways, AM training is out.
That's ok, AM training is right up there with running...

Chebass88
Big E

Post by Chebass88 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:59 am

A couple thoughts:

1. If your wife is off on Mondays - that is a training day for you. Sure, you might have to go out and do family stuff, but she can watch kiddo for a half hour or 45 minutes while you train.

2. Type of programming. A multi-week, periodized program certainly works - when you can reliably train. Since your training is variable, you may have to change the style of programming. One thing I've had very great success is the add-a-rep method. For whatever weight, add one or two reps more than what you did last time, and increase once you've hit a certain threshold. It is slow, but as I mentioned elsewhere, slow progress is progress. It is a little dry and boring doing the same weight for a few weeks, but it works.

3. I would get rid of thinking of things in terms of volume and intensity being two different things. This is a nice mentality when regular training, but if you only get one squat and one bench session per week, each session needs to be volume AND intensity. There are a couple ways to do this - choose a weight which works well for both. How about (70%x3)x10 sets? Or (80%x2-3)x8 sets? Or combination of a top end set followed by hard backoff sets?

Using the add-a-rep method would look like this:
(80%x2)x8
(80%x3)x2, (80%x2)x6
(80%x3)x4, (80%x2)x4
etc.
Once (80%x3)x8 reached, increase +5 for upper body lifts and +10 for lower body lifts, and drop back to (80%x2)x8. Max two minutes rest between sets (three if you're fancy).

That's it, once per week. It takes about a half hour per lift if you're focused, maybe up to 45 minutes on the deadlift.

4. One of the programs I had great success with was the Iron Sport Strength Method. Basically, it was an alternating rep max (1RM, 3RM, 5RM) followed by back-off sets at ~80% of the daily weight. As long as the RMs are increasing on a monthly basis - you're WINNING!! It also has a week of heavy singles (90% 1RM or 3RM weight). The reps for the backoff sets was "AMRAP", but I usually capped these at 5-8 reps. It also worked if I cranked out one massive higher rep set (e.g., 10-12 reps), if I was lazy that day. If I focused, I was in & out within a half hour, maybe 45 minutes tops. It is a great method for strength.

5. In my opinion, you may be able to trim down your list of blocks, using the "biggest bang-for-buck" approach. Direct arm & upper back work can be done with barbell rows. You get the benefit of also giving the lower back a little extra work. Triceps get a benefit from the bench press (depends on your grip width). Cutting down inter-set rest can increase conditioning quite a bit - enabling you to eliminate prowler / farmer carry work? You might also be able to cut back on squat volume by increasing deadlift volume.

6. How is your lunchtime at work? Do you have a gym at work or closeby, where you could pop in, get the work done, and then get back to your desk? I shovel food into my mouth while on conference calls, or between answering emails. That frees up lunchtime for something far more important than eating - training.