Home-made smith machine safety catch

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

xuerebx

Home-made smith machine safety catch

Post by xuerebx » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:33 am

Hi all.

I've got a smith machine which doesn't have safety catch / spotter blocks, and I've been thinking if I can create something very simple which I can either (i) insert in the vertical frame's holes, or (ii) some form of block which sits at the bottom of the vertical rod - as per the circled red areas in my photo. I could also buy something but I can't find anything (not from US, but I still can't find anything anyway).

Just looking for ideas, I think there can be something simple I can create or buy. Thanks!

James

Re: Home-made smith machine safety catch

Post by James » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:43 am

Can you take it apart? I'd just slide a heavy wall pipe on guide rod long enough for the top to be where I wanted it to stop.

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:54 am

James wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:43 am Can you take it apart? I'd just slide a heavy wall pipe on guide rod long enough for the top to be where I wanted it to stop.
The idea is good, I just don't trust my execution of it - wouldn't know how to take it apart. Maybe if I can find a pipe which I can "slip" on, somehow.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:59 am

Do you need the bottom hole? If not, some sort of short safety pin with an offset could be engineered.

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:05 am

mgil wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:59 am Do you need the bottom hole? If not, some sort of short safety pin with an offset could be engineered.
Nah I don't need the bottom one. Could you show me a pic so I can understand what you mean please?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:41 pm

I don't really have much experience with Smith machines of any variety, but, is there some reason you couldn't use a sling/slings around the bar?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:07 pm

xuerebx wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:05 am
mgil wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:59 am Do you need the bottom hole? If not, some sort of short safety pin with an offset could be engineered.
Nah I don't need the bottom one. Could you show me a pic so I can understand what you mean please?

Please excuse the crude phone drawings, but it would just be something fashioned out of plate and bar stock that would be something akin to an extended J hook to catch the bar. But the hook would have to fork to go around the linear support.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:10 pm

Hardartery wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:41 pm I don't really have much experience with Smith machines of any variety, but, is there some reason you couldn't use a sling/slings around the bar?
This would work too. Just loop some ratchet straps around the top crossbar and then set them so that the are just under the rom you need. Kinda like what they do with monolifts.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:26 pm

mgil wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:10 pm
Hardartery wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:41 pm I don't really have much experience with Smith machines of any variety, but, is there some reason you couldn't use a sling/slings around the bar?
This would work too. Just loop some ratchet straps around the top crossbar and then set them so that the are just under the rom you need. Kinda like what they do with monolifts.
They are one of those things that when you see them you think "Of course! Why the hell didn't anyone think of that before? Where were these things when I was competing and hating on the unuseful safety bar heights on the racks. Those and the spotter arms for Bench. I can't believe I didn't come up with that myself back then so that I could stop working for a living and afford to just train based on the money coming in from the invention.

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:21 pm

@mgil - that setup you drew up makes sense - thanks I get what you mean now. Having said that....

@Hardartery - that's such a simple, genius solution!! Definitely the easiest and can be set up in a few minutes.

https://gauciborda.com/product/ratchet-tie-down-s-s-2/ found these, I'd go for the cost effective "5.60m X 35mm" (2000kg max load) option, realistically I won't "drop" the weight, I just go down slowly + it's a smith machine not a free weight barbell dropping from a height, so it should be enough.

I can't pay you royalties though since you didn't patent the idea ;) :)

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:08 am

I (well, we, a friend helped me out) did it!

Tested it out seems sturdy. I'm not dropping weights from a height so it should be fine.

Thanks man, all credit to your idea!

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:35 am

Good stuff!

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:28 pm

I love it when a plan comes together!