Powerlifting routine for intermediate/advanced

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Daghetto

Powerlifting routine for intermediate/advanced

Post by Daghetto » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:55 pm

Hi all,

For someone who has been working out for over 10 years primarily in body building, and 2 years in strength training, what would you recommend as the most successful powerlifting routine? I see there are quite a few options like emerging strategies coaching, DDS, Average 2 savage routines, juggernaut ai, etc. what would you guys say worked best for you?
I’m currently doing the DDS individualized programming. Haven’t had much success with it

CheekiBreekiFitness

Re: Powerlifting routine for intermediate/advanced

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:18 pm

What worked best for me is to devise my own program by trial and error, starting with a template to which I had decent response (my starting point was a BBM-esque template). You can call this emerging strategies but really it is just trial and error logging everything, and repeating what has worked best in the past.

Especially if you've been training for 10+ years, you should have a pretty good "database" of what kind of programming variables give you good results.

Disclaimer: I am small and weak so take that for what its worth.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:20 am

There is no "Most successful" routine. No such thing exists for any form of lifting, outside of the thing that works best for YOU. That said, they pretty much all the same thing in the main ways, the main variable is training volume versus training intensity. Strength training also usually works better in pairs or small groups, at least until you are really well cemented in your programming or sufficiently autistic. What are you trying to be stronger at? Just in general, PL in particular (You mention it specifically, but that doesn't mean you actually want to Powerlift).

alphagamma

Post by alphagamma » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:04 am

I haven't tried all of those programs, but it is highly unlikely there will be a situation where a program magically increases your bench by 50kgs. They are all probably around equal in that regard. The worst enemy of programming is overthinking and hopping in between programs looking for the "perfect" program.

But imo you can't go wrong with the A2S/SBS programs as a start. Have never really heard of much negative feedback on those programs.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:23 pm

Without knowing you, no one is going to be able to predict the most successful routine for you. We would have a slightly better chance if you posted a little more specifics. Are you explosive, average, or fatigue resistant? How tall/heavy are you and what are your actual lifts? What have you been doing for the last two years of strength training, and how is what you are doing now different from what worked to get you to the advanced intermediate stage?