The Uneasy Truth About Traveling While Fat

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Culican

Post by Culican » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:59 am

Paris is discriminating against them because it has "Narrow staircases, tiny chairs, and compact showers ."

For some reason Firefox decided this was an article I would be interested in.

mbasic

Re: The Uneasy Truth About Traveling While Fat

Post by mbasic » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:18 am

I went to urgent care the other day to get stitches put in my forehead.

They have extra wide modern chairs in the lobby .... that are the same style, frame, upholstery as the regular width chairs....but really wide.

I was to put in a prep room where they took my blood pressure, dressed/cleaned the wound, etc .... same thing: one fat chair, one normal chair.

Then off to another room where they sew you up. same. fat chair and a regular chair.

Sooner or later airlines will have to buckle on this issue.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:45 am

Culican wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:59 am Paris is discriminating against them because it has "Narrow staircases, tiny chairs, and compact showers ."

LOL. Seriously. God damnit people are entitled. Life is full of choices and consequences, more people need to get told to suck it up. I fly frequently, I have three flights next month, I don't fit a lot of places but I can use an airline bathroom, I fit in a Coach seat (If you're that fat, buy the business or first class ticket) and I had no issues with any chairs in Paris. The public transit was comfortable enough too. If being that size is a problem, maybe the problem is you and not the rest of the world. How do you tell me you're American without telling me you're American? should have been the title of the article.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:51 am

Culican wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:59 am Paris is discriminating against them because it has "Narrow staircases, tiny chairs, and compact showers ."

1. Thank you for posting this. It made my day better.

2. What does she want? Old building torn down to make fat accessible staircases? fuck off.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:53 am

The author

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:47 am

The authors mentions:

"According to the NIH, more than two in five adults live in a large body"

but this statistic is only valid for the US. In France obesity is much less prevalent. The reason why there are no chairs for 300 lbs people is just because 300 lbs people are very uncommon in France. It has nothing to do with discrimination.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:36 pm

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:47 am The authors mentions:

but this statistic is only valid for the US. In France obesity is much less prevalent. The reason why there are no chairs for 300 lbs people is just because 300 lbs people are very uncommon in France. It has nothing to do with discrimination.
I am not that far off of 300 lbs and the chairs in France fit me fine. I think Princess needs to get real. She clearly has no grasp of what violence is, classifying this as violence towards fat people.

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:12 pm

Yeah, that popped up on my browser too. I did not read it. The blurb was bad enough. "The seats weren't big enough". Well if we give you bigger seats you'll just take it as a challenge.

DCR

Post by DCR » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:24 pm

chrisd wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:12 pm Yeah, that popped up on my browser too. I did not read it. The blurb was bad enough. "The seats weren't big enough". Well if we give you bigger seats you'll just take it as a challenge.
Actual LOL.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:58 pm

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:47 am "According to the NIH, more than two in five adults live in a large body"
The kind of language these people use is fascinating.

No one really talks like this.

hector

Post by hector » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:23 pm

Hardartery wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:36 pm

I am not that far off of 300 lbs and the chairs in France fit me fine. I think Princess needs to get real. She clearly has no grasp of what violence is, classifying this as violence towards fat people.
You are strong AF.
A bunch of your 300lb is muscle.

The author does not look strong. With less muscle she will have correspondingly more volume than you.

The chairs probably are less comfortable for her than for you.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:07 pm

hector wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:23 pm

You are strong AF.

The author does not look strong. With less muscle she will have correspondingly more volume than you.

Sure, our body composition likely differs (I appreciate the compliment, seriously. Thanks.) but the point is it is a choice. I could be smaller. So could she. She chooses to live in such a way as to be the way that she is, and expects everyone else to accommodate her choices. That's crap. We all have to live with the consequences of our decisions in real life, and the notion that the rest of us pay for her decisions (Bigger seats equals less seats equals higher per seat cost) is obnoxious to an extreme level. Be big if that is how you want to live, but deal with the consequences yourself. Maybe it's her sign to get a little less fat, just saying.

hector

Post by hector » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:10 pm

Hardartery wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:07 pm

You are strong AF.

Sure, our body composition likely differs (I appreciate the compliment, seriously. Thanks.) but the point is it is a choice. I could be smaller. So could she. She chooses to live in such a way as to be the way that she is, and expects everyone else to accommodate her choices. That's crap. We all have to live with the consequences of our decisions in real life, and the notion that the rest of us pay for her decisions (Bigger seats equals less seats equals higher per seat cost) is obnoxious to an extreme level. Be big if that is how you want to live, but deal with the consequences yourself. Maybe it's her sign to get a little less fat, just saying.
I agree 100%.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:28 pm

mbasic wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:18 am Sooner or later airlines will have to buckle on this issue.
Charge flights by the pounds of each passenger plus their luggage. Imagine the baggage allowance for your skinny friends!

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:00 am

You are strong AF.

Good post.

Problem is that a lot of these people are active victims insofar that they do stupid stuff simply so they can be/feel marginalized.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:51 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:28 pm
mbasic wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:18 am Sooner or later airlines will have to buckle on this issue.
Charge flights by the pounds of each passenger plus their luggage. Imagine the baggage allowance for your skinny friends!
This.

A lot of what we do at my job is based on weight and/or volume.
Rebar, by the pound.
Rock by the ton.
Concrete by the cu.yd. etc
Fuel by the gallon.
Labor by the hour.
My whole work's existence is .... 'spreadsheet'

Especially flights.....you'd think the airlines would be more interested in what the passenger cargo weighs?!!? becuz crashing and death.
(I think they still do weigh your luggage, no? )

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:34 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:51 am
KyleSchuant wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:28 pm
This.

A lot of what we do at my job is based on weight and/or volume.
Rebar, by the pound.
Rock by the ton.
Concrete by the cu.yd. etc
Fuel by the gallon.
Labor by the hour.
My whole work's existence is .... 'spreadsheet'

Especially flights.....you'd think the airlines would be more interested in what the passenger cargo weighs?!!? becuz crashing and death.
(I think they still do weigh your luggage, no? )
They weigh checked bags, occasionally carry-ons get weighed as well but that is not normal. I think certain airlines, smaller ones in far flung places, tend to weight all the bags and if someone annoys the staff or looks sketchy they might get hassled by making them weigh all of their bags (I've seen it, usually travellers in their 20's get this treatment) and their are stipulated max weights for every bag. I think I have only once been required to get on the scale myself (It was everyone, not just me) and that was in the Philippines to go from the capital to an outlying island.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:05 am

Her article and the fat acceptance foolishness is an attempted refutation of it being a choice. Using the language of civil rights legislation and the ADA to turn it from a matter of calories -into-face-hole into an immutable characteristic.
living—and traveling—in large bodies
Just this past May, New York City passed the groundbreaking Anti-Height and Weight Discrimination Bill, which seeks to improve access to public accommodations for bodies of any size
Universal Studios replied with a statement highlighting their intention to listen to their customers’ needs while emphasizing overall safety. “We have a company-wide task force actively working with this community to make changes that can help them safely increase access to our experiences,” they added.
and my favorite:
Living in a world fueled by fatphobia creates unnecessary barriers, from limited clothing options to discrimination in medical care, employment, and relationships.
If you're not attracted to fat women, you're discriminating against them. Very wrongthinky of you.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:18 am

Hardartery wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:34 am They weigh checked bags, occasionally carry-ons get weighed as well but that is not normal. I think certain airlines, smaller ones in far flung places, tend to weight all the bags and if someone annoys the staff or looks sketchy they might get hassled by making them weigh all of their bags (I've seen it, usually travellers in their 20's get this treatment) and their are stipulated max weights for every bag. I think I have only once been required to get on the scale myself (It was everyone, not just me) and that was in the Philippines to go from the capital to an outlying island.
You’re a far braver man than me. The second they started weighing people and bags to be sure everything was lining up right, I’d have been fucking out of there.

Culican

Post by Culican » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:49 am

Interestingly Google turns up several recent articles on the subject of weighing passengers:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/28/should- ... ines-.html
https://www.travelandleisure.com/korean ... ge-7852370
https://www.thestreet.com/travel/does-k ... e-boarding

... and many more