Stric curls

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

dara

Stric curls

Post by dara » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:09 pm

Hi, Strict Curls and programs if you have, its hard to find anything on net just https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-s ... eight/amp/
https://grindergym.com/we-are-a-strict-curl-gym/
Doug Hepburne program who still hold record i think with 116 kg.
Just start to do concentration biceps curls, have 25 kg dumbbell but im plan to buy increasment plates of 1.25 kg or 0.5kg. The way i do is 5 sets of amrap (started with 6 reps first set now im on 15 reps first set need increasment in weight) with 1 min rest, should i increase rest time to 2 or 3 min, maybe few more reps can be done but will that contribute to better strength gains?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Stric curls

Post by mgil » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:16 pm

I’d take some of those old “strict” curl records with a grain of salt.

Nonetheless, to do 1RM lifting, you have to practice heavy singles. Right now, sounds like you’re working for hypertrophy.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:38 pm

What mgil said and also, this shit is specific and it’s not clear from your post that you’re even doing barbell curls. Concentration curls on their own aren’t going to do much for them.

I dunno about the T-Nation program. Try it and find out, and report back. Best general advice in that article:

You'll curl twice a week. These can be standalone workouts or performed as part of other workouts. However, I wouldn't perform them in an excessively fatigued state if the goal is maximal strength. In other words, don't do them after an hour of blasting your back.

Prioritizing curls these few months - doing them before back - has been a revelation for me.

Finally, since you mentioned Hepburn, I’ve seen versions of his program that included barbell curls, run on his standard A and B sessions. Again, try it and see what happens, and if you do, please report back.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:13 am

T-Nation is almost exclusively hypertrophy/BB oriented, and generally nothing of value unless you are trying to get talked into buying some sort of bullshit sponsor supplement. I know they have Wendler, but that's a niche forum last time I looked with very little spillover to anything else. Hypertrophy is not likely to get you where you are trying to go. You'd be much better off looking at stuff for Armwrestling, like Devon Larratt info, or even some of the grip stuff. There's a lot more to it than simply cranking some sort of reps with some sort of curls. Sure, specificity matters at some point, but you need to build support structure around it. Your arms will get bigger either way, but your 1 RM will move up a lot better by not worrying about hypertrophy in particular on this.

dara

Post by dara » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:59 am

Thank for answers, i found something on net about singles, can be good for strength doing singles at 80% - 85% with 30 seconds between rep as much as you can something like clusters?

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:58 am

dara wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:59 am Thank for answers, i found something on net about singles, can be good for strength doing singles at 80% - 85% with 30 seconds between rep as much as you can something like clusters?
Do it for a few weeks and let us know what happened. If you confirm that you’re gonna try it and start a log, I’ll try it with you.