Death can have me when it has earned me

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

lheugh

Re: Death can have me when it has earned me

Post by lheugh » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:48 am

mjstrength wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:49 am That comment helps so much dude.
I always felt better doing cardio in the morning and doing weight training in the afternoon. I agree that conditioning always makes the weight training even better.

What was your experience with powerbuliding type training? I used to train like 2x a day by combining 1 lifting session + 1BB session. It made me stronger and bigger, but usually i felt beat up throughout the day..

Getting bigger and stronger at the same time is harder for tall guy..
Yeah I mean as long as there's a few hours between both types of training, I've never seen a quantifiable interference effect manifest personally. The benefits of conditioning outweigh even a few percent drop in potential hypertrophy gains for me. I had a decent time with powerbuilding. I did a bit less volume than I'm currently doing to account for the residual fatigue and joint tenderness from the heavier lifting. I realised I never got much out of barbell squatting so I primarily belt squatted at the time. When I bought myself a cambered bar, I never went back to conventional bench press since it felt so physically....inferior. I couldn't "cheat" the bar since it had to touch my sternum for the rep to count (and that's an additional few centimetres of range at the bottom). It also felt more natural for my shoulder joint and interestingly enough have never had any shoulder niggles since making the swap. You'd think with the additional strain at the bottom it would be more pressure on the shoulder joint but overall it's healthier than it's ever been. I also got more out of trap-bar deadlifting in terms of not tearing up my shins with the amount of pulling volume I was doing at the time. It also transferred equivalently for me to conventional deadlifting, but without the skin wear and tear. If I were to do it again (for twice a days) I would have the heavier lifts in the morning and lighter volume work in the evening to minimise the joint wear and tear in a given session. I still cambered bench (5-12 rep range that I cycle), hinge (RDLs, Good Mornings, Trap-Bar Pulls), and squat (belt squats, pendulum squats, hack squats), but I'm not so narrow-focused on the arbitrary conventional lifts anymore. And honestly, I've been better off for it in terms of minimising joint wear and tear and getting more bang for buck in the gym. As a tall person, we do have a lot more real estate to build upon, and it takes time to do that. We also have physics against us and are required to do more work lifting (so it seems like we might be weaker), but when we do have a solid base built, then few people look bigger. The one fun perk is out-angling enhanced bodybuilders in the gym.

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:23 am

Day 6 Week 6

Hip Leg Press: 6(120kgx10)
Weighted Back Extension: 20kgx12,12,12,10
Leg Extension: 5(77kgx15)
Seated Leg Curl: 4(115lbx15)
Hip Abduction/Adduction: 4(47.5kgx13)
Leg Press Calf Raise: 40kgx15,13,13
Ab Wheel: 12,12,12

mjstrength

Post by mjstrength » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:09 am

lheugh wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:48 am
I always felt better doing cardio in the morning and doing weight training in the afternoon. I agree that conditioning always makes the weight training even better.

What was your experience with powerbuliding type training? I used to train like 2x a day by combining 1 lifting session + 1BB session. It made me stronger and bigger, but usually i felt beat up throughout the day..

Yeah I mean as long as there's a few hours between both types of training, I've never seen a quantifiable interference effect manifest personally. The benefits of conditioning outweigh even a few percent drop in potential hypertrophy gains for me. I had a decent time with powerbuilding. I did a bit less volume than I'm currently doing to account for the residual fatigue and joint tenderness from the heavier lifting. I realised I never got much out of barbell squatting so I primarily belt squatted at the time. When I bought myself a cambered bar, I never went back to conventional bench press since it felt so physically....inferior. I couldn't "cheat" the bar since it had to touch my sternum for the rep to count (and that's an additional few centimetres of range at the bottom). It also felt more natural for my shoulder joint and interestingly enough have never had any shoulder niggles since making the swap. You'd think with the additional strain at the bottom it would be more pressure on the shoulder joint but overall it's healthier than it's ever been. I also got more out of trap-bar deadlifting in terms of not tearing up my shins with the amount of pulling volume I was doing at the time. It also transferred equivalently for me to conventional deadlifting, but without the skin wear and tear. If I were to do it again (for twice a days) I would have the heavier lifts in the morning and lighter volume work in the evening to minimise the joint wear and tear in a given session. I still cambered bench (5-12 rep range that I cycle), hinge (RDLs, Good Mornings, Trap-Bar Pulls), and squat (belt squats, pendulum squats, hack squats), but I'm not so narrow-focused on the arbitrary conventional lifts anymore. And honestly, I've been better off for it in terms of minimising joint wear and tear and getting more bang for buck in the gym. As a tall person, we do have a lot more real estate to build upon, and it takes time to do that. We also have physics against us and are required to do more work lifting (so it seems like we might be weaker), but when we do have a solid base built, then few people look bigger. The one fun perk is out-angling enhanced bodybuilders in the gym.
Man it quiet helped me so much.
I've read 3x times. I'm still thinking about training,everyday.
Let's see.
I hope you are doing great too.
Thank you so much.

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:32 am

mjstrength wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:09 am

Man it quiet helped me so much.
I've read 3x times. I'm still thinking about training,everyday.
Let's see.
I hope you are doing great too.
Thank you so much.
Productive training to you, good sir!

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:33 am

Day 3 Week 1

Belt Squat: 5(138kgx10) @3RIR
Weighted Back Extension: 4(20kgx12)
Leg Extension: 4(6.75x15)
Seated Leg Curl: 4(125lbx15)
Hip Abduction/Hip Adduction: 3(47.5kgx15)
Leg Press Calf Raise: 3(40kgx15)
Ab Wheel: 15,15,12

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:18 am

Day 4 Week 1

Hammer Incline Press: 5(82kgx10) @3RIR
Leverage Decline Press: 4(65kgx15)
Standing Multiflight Lateral Raise: 3(40kgx12)
Machine Dips: 4(75kgx12)
Pec Deck: 4(100kgx15)
Rear Delt Flyes: 3(65kgx15)
Cable Rope Pushdown: 20kgx15,10,10
Prime Shrug: 3(75kgx13)

hector

Post by hector » Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:31 pm

(1) I laugh every time I read your log title. Thank you.

(2) what kind of cambered bar did you use? I benched with a “football bar” once, which I think is similar but not quite the same, and was too uncoordinated to balance it properly when it got heavy. Don’t hurt myself, but it felt weird. Was not a fan.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:12 pm

Further question on the cambered bar: what did you mean by, “I couldn't "cheat" the bar since it had to touch my sternum for the rep to count”? Were you not touching with a standard barbell?

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:46 pm

hector wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:31 pm

(1) I laugh every time I read your log title. Thank you.

(2) what kind of cambered bar did you use? I benched with a “football bar” once, which I think is similar but not quite the same, and was too uncoordinated to balance it properly when it got heavy. Don’t hurt myself, but it felt weird. Was not a fan.
I'm very glad to hear that sir :D So, I own a Strength Shop Cambered Bar, with 15cm additional ROM in the centre of the bar while the the rest of the bar is uniformly straight like your standard bar. It's lovely and currently sits in my garage gym but it's too cold to train in there in the morning! I'm considering getting another one for the main gym I frequent. The football bar is a bit tricky to use, I've got Rogue's original MG-1 that shipped without knurling... I don't use it fraction as much for very similar reasons. The neutral grip factor is nice, but balancing became disproportionately more of a focus than completing a rep as the load got heavy. It put my triceps through a lot of work but I can achieve that without the added hassle with Dips. :P

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:06 am

DCR wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:12 pm Further question on the cambered bar: what did you mean by, “I couldn't "cheat" the bar since it had to touch my sternum for the rep to count”? Were you not touching with a standard barbell?
In hindsight, I didn't explain that very well. I just mean that I can't shorten the range of motion by either widening my grip (at least definitely not in the same way - it's an extra 15cm I have to account for), or configuring my body to achieve the same, or both. I can't either touch and go. The descent takes a bit longer and and I'm more cognisant of the precarious position I'm in with the additional stretch on both the muscle and the joint, so I instinctively pause each rep when I touch my sternum.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:51 am

lheugh wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:06 am
DCR wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:12 pm Further question on the cambered bar: what did you mean by, “I couldn't "cheat" the bar since it had to touch my sternum for the rep to count”? Were you not touching with a standard barbell?
In hindsight, I didn't explain that very well. I just mean that I can't shorten the range of motion by either widening my grip (at least definitely not in the same way - it's an extra 15cm I have to account for), or configuring my body to achieve the same, or both. I can't either touch and go. The descent takes a bit longer and and I'm more cognisant of the precarious position I'm in with the additional stretch on both the muscle and the joint, so I instinctively pause each rep when I touch my sternum.
That makes sense. I treat DBs similarly, for the same reason.

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:55 am

Day 5 Week 1
I low-balled the intended RIR for the Rotary contraption so I tagged-on another set.

Rotary Lat Pulldown: 6(19x10) @4RIR
Chest-Supported High Row: 4(90kgx12)
Machine Preacher Curl: 4(25kgx15)
Machine Pullover: 3(43kgx13)
Incline Dumbbell Curl: 3(7.5kgx15)
Cable French Press: 3(30kgx15)
Prime Shrug: 3(75kgx15)
Dumbbell Hammer Curl: 4(7.5kgx12)

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:22 am

Day 6 Week 1

My adductors were eviscerated after the leg pressing.

Linear Leg Press: 5(155kgx10) @3RIR
Weighted Back Extension: 20kgx15,13,13,10
Leg Extension: 4(7x15)
Seated Leg Curl: 130lbx15,12,12
Hip Abduction/Hip Adduction: 3(50kgx12)
Leg Press Calf Raise: 3(42.5kgx12)
Cable Rope Crunch: 3(58.5kgx15)

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:26 am

Day 2 Week 2
Substituting some additional shoulder work for tricep work since my elbows are a little creaky.

Cybex Seated Low Row: 5(110kgx10) @2RIR
Rotary Lat Pulldown: 5(19x12)
Incline Dumbbell Curl: 10kgx13,13,13,12
Cable Flexion Row: 44kgx15,12,12,10
Machine Preacher Curl: 27.5kgx12,10,10
Standing Multiflight Lateral Raise: 3(40kgx`15)
Prime Shrug: 4(80kgx13)
Dumbbell Hammer Curl: 3(7.5kgx15)

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:53 am

Day 2 Week 3

Woke up feeling like the dead, but training wasn't too terrible considering. Having an early birthday lunch with a friend at Poor Boys in Kingston (my favourite restaurant - New Orleans style grub). @Renascent I've always wondered if their offerings are typical of the area?

Cybex Seated Row: 5(112.5kgx100) @2RIR
Rotary Lat Pulldown: 4(19x13)
Incline Dumbbell Curl: 4(10kgx13)
Cable Flexion Row: 4(46kgx12)
Machine Preacher Curl: 3(26kgx15)
Seated Dumbbell Press: 3(7.5kgx15)
Prime Shrug: 4(80kgx10)
Hammer Dumbbell Curl: 3(10kgx12)

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:46 pm

lheugh wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:53 amWoke up feeling like the dead, but training wasn't too terrible considering. Having an early birthday lunch with a friend at Poor Boys in Kingston (my favourite restaurant - New Orleans style grub). @Renascent I've always wondered if their offerings are typical of the area?
I took a gander at their menu -- looks authentic enough to me.

Admittedly, I'm about an hour away from New Orleans, and haven't been down there in a few years. But yeah, the only thing that could be missing might be accents.

And (an early) happy birthday as well.

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:17 am

Renascent wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:46 pm
lheugh wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:53 amWoke up feeling like the dead, but training wasn't too terrible considering. Having an early birthday lunch with a friend at Poor Boys in Kingston (my favourite restaurant - New Orleans style grub). @Renascent I've always wondered if their offerings are typical of the area?
I took a gander at their menu -- looks authentic enough to me.

Admittedly, I'm about an hour away from New Orleans, and haven't been down there in a few years. But yeah, the only thing that could be missing might be accents.

And (an early) happy birthday as well.
It really is amazing food 😋 It's always packed and there's always a bit of queuing involved. It is most certainly worth waiting in line for. And thank you! I don't know how I feel about turning 32 today in a week though. :D

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:06 am

Day 3 Week 3

Surprisingly decent considering I wasn't feeling great today. Belt Squat RDLs are sublime.
Belt Squat: 5(143kgx10) @2RIR
Belt Squat RDL: 4(90kgx12)
Leg Extension: 4(7.5x15)
Standing Leg Curl: 4(12.5kgx15)
Leg Press Calf Raise: 3(45kgx13)
Hip Abduction/Hip Adduction: 4(52.5kgx8)
Cable Rope Crunch: 3(63.5kgx12)
Cable Side Bend: 3(35kgx15)

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:51 am

Day 4 Week 3

Hammer Incline Press: 5(86kgx10) @2RIR
Leverage Decline Press: 4(70kgx12)
Standing Multiflight Lateral Raise: 3(45kgx13)
Tricep Pushdown: 4(25kgx15)
Pec Deck: 4(102.5kgx15)
Rear Delt Flyes: 3(67kgx14)
Dumbbell French Press: 3(7.5kgx16)
Prime Shrug: 3(85kgx12)

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:37 am

A tough one but one of my preferred training sessions at the moment.

Week 5 Day 2
Cybex Seated Row: 5(117.5kgx10)
Rotary Lat Pulldown: 19x13,13,11,11,10
Incline Dumbbell Curl: 10kgx12,12,12,10
Cable Flexion Row: 49kgx12,10,10,10
Machine Preacher Curl: 28kgx13,13,8,8
Seated Dumbbell Press: 15kgx12,12,10
Prime Shrug: 4(95kgx10)
Dumbbell Wrist Curl: 3(2.5kgx15)