Mobility Training

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Mobility Training

Post by aurelius » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:47 pm

I want to add 1 to 2 days of mobility training. I'm defining mobility as the ability to move for general health/capability. What I'm thinking is shorter runs/sprints, curved sprint work, shuttle runs, shuffle, and so forth. Anyone have experience doing this or an example program I could follow?

DCR

Re: Mobility Training

Post by DCR » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:23 pm

Wendler was a big proponent of Joe DiFranco’s Agile 8. I think he’s got a few others too (Limber 11, etc.). May not be as much actual movement as it seems like you may prefer.

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:27 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:47 pm I want to add 1 to 2 days of mobility training. I'm defining mobility as the ability to move for general health/capability. What I'm thinking is shorter runs/sprints, curved sprint work, shuttle runs, shuffle, and so forth. Anyone have experience doing this or an example program I could follow?
I would say that’s more agility amd coordination than mobility.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:52 pm

AlanMackey wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:27 pmI would say that’s more agility amd coordination than mobility.
mobility - the ability to move or be moved freely and easily. I want to improve my ability to move my body in open space. I always thought it was weird to describe flexibility as mobility but whatever.

quikky

Post by quikky » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:00 pm

Have you considered BJJ?

asdf

Post by asdf » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:41 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:47 pm shorter runs/sprints, curved sprint work, shuttle runs, shuffle, and so forth.
Once a week, I do intervals at the track. Typically something like 5 x 400 or 3 x 800 meters. I jog a mile before and after. I typically rest 1:30 between the 400s, and about 2:30 between 800s.

I also do stair sprints when I can fit them in. The set I have nearby are fairly short. (About 50 steps, when I take them 2 at a time, plus a short landing that has to be covered in the middle.) I go close to max effort and finish in about 13 seconds. I walk down and go again on the 1:30.

I've done shuttle runs as part of a broader training program that included longer distance running, rucking, weighted step-ups, and other stuff to prepare for carrying loads in the mountains. I think they were 12 x 25 meters, so 300m total per round. (6 out-and-backs, to be clear.) I think I did them on the 2:30 and progressed the number of rounds over time.

I wouldn't worry too much about a specific plan. I'd just ease into whatever it is you want to do and gradually increase difficulty as you adapt. Add more rounds, go faster, or reduce rest between bouts.

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:37 am

aurelius wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:52 pm
AlanMackey wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:27 pmI would say that’s more agility amd coordination than mobility.
mobility - the ability to move or be moved freely and easily. I want to improve my ability to move my body in open space. I always thought it was weird to describe flexibility as mobility but whatever.
Then, I would suggest Original Strength.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:56 am

asdf wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:41 pm
aurelius wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:47 pm shorter runs/sprints, curved sprint work, shuttle runs, shuffle, and so forth.
Once a week, I do intervals at the track. Typically something like 5 x 400 or 3 x 800 meters. I jog a mile before and after. I typically rest 1:30 between the 400s, and about 2:30 between 800s.

I also do stair sprints when I can fit them in. The set I have nearby are fairly short. (About 50 steps, when I take them 2 at a time, plus a short landing that has to be covered in the middle.) I go close to max effort and finish in about 13 seconds. I walk down and go again on the 1:30.

I've done shuttle runs as part of a broader training program that included longer distance running, rucking, weighted step-ups, and other stuff to prepare for carrying loads in the mountains. I think they were 12 x 25 meters, so 300m total per round. (6 out-and-backs, to be clear.) I think I did them on the 2:30 and progressed the number of rounds over time.

I wouldn't worry too much about a specific plan. I'd just ease into whatever it is you want to do and gradually increase difficulty as you adapt. Add more rounds, go faster, or reduce rest between bouts.
This is more in alignment with my intent. I was thinking of setting up some cone drills, short sprints, and track runs that you describe. I'll probably just give it a go.

The impetus is I joined a kickball league. And while I'm fine and am better than most; actually moving in the open field, changing directions, reacting/moving to an unplanned event was surprisingly awkward. If zombie apocalypse/Red Dawn/chasing after the ice cream truck had to happen I would be ill prepared.

asdf

Post by asdf » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:53 am

aurelius wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:56 am cone drills
Excellent idea. You might also consider running on technical trails, which requires a different sort of agility: carefully picking lines to avoid small obstacles. Agility ladder drills are fun as well.

psmith

Post by psmith » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:12 am

AlanMackey wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:37 am
Then, I would suggest Original Strength.
I was gonna suggest this when I saw the thread title, though I think cone drills and stuff probably make more sense given OP's goals. Tim Anderson seems like a bit of a fart-huffing weirdo.and I don't know if his stuff actually did(/does) anything for me, but I don't know if anything else I've ever done for mobility in the usual sense has ever done anything either, and at least crawling is kinda fun.

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:29 am

psmith wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:12 amI was gonna suggest this when I saw the thread title, though I think cone drills and stuff probably make more sense given OP's goals. Tim Anderson seems like a bit of a fart-huffing weirdo.and I don't know if his stuff actually did(/does) anything for me, but I don't know if anything else I've ever done for mobility in the usual sense has ever done anything either, and at least crawling is kinda fun.
Incorporating Original Strength into my daily routine was one of my greatest fitness-related decisions: it's fun, it's easy, it doesn't take much time (under 10 minutes, usually) and it works (injury prevention measure).

I strongly suspect that any other daily, short and gentle Yoga/mobility routine would work too.