The Psych Up Discussion

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

DCR

Re: The Psych Up Discussion

Post by DCR » Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:39 pm

janoycresva wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:47 pm i don't psych up at all anymore since i've fully embraced bodybuilding

not going to go to my deep dark place for a 2 RIR set of machine chest press in the 12-15 rep range
What are you running? Curious as to why, if bodybuilding, any RIR on a machine, especially in that rep range.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:26 am

DCR wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:39 pm
janoycresva wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:47 pm i don't psych up at all anymore since i've fully embraced bodybuilding

not going to go to my deep dark place for a 2 RIR set of machine chest press in the 12-15 rep range
What are you running? Curious as to why, if bodybuilding, any RIR on a machine, especially in that rep range.
I could never judge RPE with high rep machine work and isolation exercises, which is part of why I always felt unsure when I tried RP style training. Now I guess if you do it for long enough you get better at judging it but I never managed to get to that point.

James

Post by James » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:31 am

For RP stuff aren't you supposed to use intra set RIR judgements? Like stop a set when you think you have x reps left. As opposed to post set evaluation like RTS recommends.

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:16 am

Realizing that I my post above was less than clear. To clarify, I wasn’t asking why he was using an RIR based system, if he even is, but rather why there would be any reps in reserve using a machine based movement in that rep range. I’d be taking the sets to failure.

James

Post by James » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:06 am

RP waves (ramps?) RIR during a cycle. Like sets @3 for one or two weeks then sets of @2 for a week then sets @1 right before a deload. At least that's how the spreadsheets that I've seen are set up.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:37 pm

I am using the RP hypertrophy app, it starts you off at 3 RIR and then you go to 2, 1, and 0 RIR as the mesocycle progresses

FWIW I completely agree with you, I think keeping reps in reserve on a lot of this stuff is bullshit (like why am I going 2 RIR on fucking cable curls lol), but I am going to complete this meso as written before I probably cancel the app and do my own thing

also the increasing RIR on exercises that come first in a session tends to completely change my performance on exercises that come 2nd, so the entire progression system seems kind of goofy to me, and overall I don't think the app does anything better at all than the old RP spreadsheet based templates did (actually I think the layout of those is much more intelligent than the preloaded templates in the app)

DCR

Post by DCR » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:44 pm

janoycresva wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:37 pm

I am using the RP hypertrophy app, it starts you off at 3 RIR and then you go to 2, 1, and 0 RIR as the mesocycle progresses

FWIW I completely agree with you, I think keeping reps in reserve on a lot of this stuff is bullshit (like why am I going 2 RIR on fucking cable curls lol), but I am going to complete this meso as written before I probably cancel the app and do my own thing

also the increasing RIR on exercises that come first in a session tends to completely change my performance on exercises that come 2nd, so the entire progression system seems kind of goofy to me, and overall I don't think the app does anything better at all than the old RP spreadsheet based templates did (actually I think the layout of those is much more intelligent than the preloaded templates in the app)
Gotcha. Yeah, I just think some exercises, particularly in that rep range, are meant to be smashed, and one should be able to do so without materially affecting recovery. It's like the whole point of those particular movements. That said, obviously the RP guys are much smarter at this shit than me.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:36 pm

DCR wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:44 pm
janoycresva wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:37 pm

Gotcha. Yeah, I just think some exercises, particularly in that rep range, are meant to be smashed, and one should be able to do so without materially affecting recovery. It's like the whole point of those particular movements. That said, obviously the RP guys are much smarter at this shit than me.
The last two weeks of the meso are 1 RIR and 0 RIR anyway, so you do eventually get to the point where you're smashing those exercises, and I'm prone to overshooting RPE anyway. I think in my case it probably makes sense to just do what the app tells me.

That was kind of my justification for paying 25/mo for the app anyway, I was stuck in a loop of second guessing my programming and I wanted to stop thinking about lifting and just blindly follow something.