Sub thing going on is fascinating

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mbasic

Re: Sub thing going on is fascinating

Post by mbasic » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:40 am

From my reading, the other reason not to use off the shelf switches/lights from Camping World, and video game controllers ...is not only reliability concerns , but shit for aircraft/subs/aerospace are made to be spark proof (i.e. electrical contacts)/fire proof.....O2 on board being pumped around and all that, and just electrical fires in general.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:12 am

Regarding the controller…

I don’t know what the actual interface is/was, but another issue of those cheap controllers is no built-in calibration adjustment.

Anyone who’s fooled around with hobby-grade RC cars/planes is familiar with a good radio setup. There are usually trim adjustments that can be made on the fly to compensate for in situ conditions. This allows for a bit more natural operation without having to constantly compensate for something like drift.

The controller being spark proof isn’t likely too much of a concern since it’s super low voltage. Sure, they could do far better regarding safety there as well, but that would still rely on them designing the controls into a console, since the biggest risk from the controller sparking would be from repetitive abuse to the cabling from being moved around. In that case, I’d still be far more concerned with controlling the craft due to device failure versus risk of fire from a spark.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:33 pm

mgil wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:40 am Tensile strength is different than compressional strength.

I believe this rig went to a similar depth prior. The issue seems to be that the cycling of the hull wasn’t fully considered and/or inspected.

Lots of bad business decisions being made here.
This ^

It was basic material fatigue. If they had any engineer from an accredited school they would have told them that.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:26 pm

aurelius wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:33 pm
mgil wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:40 am Tensile strength is different than compressional strength.

I believe this rig went to a similar depth prior. The issue seems to be that the cycling of the hull wasn’t fully considered and/or inspected.

This ^

It was basic material fatigue. If they had any engineer from an accredited school they would have told them that.
There are multiple reports of previous trips by other people on this sub, multiple. Enough that it has also been reported that the owner had fired TWO engineers prior to this over testing. They wanted it and he thought that they worried too much. It was also not his first sub.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:41 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:26 pm
aurelius wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:33 pm

This ^

There are multiple reports of previous trips by other people on this sub, multiple. Enough that it has also been reported that the owner had fired TWO engineers prior to this over testing. They wanted it and he thought that they worried too much. It was also not his first sub.
@mbasic The benefits of living in 2023 are largely lost if you fire all your competent help.

dw

Post by dw » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:23 pm

I actually haven't read anything about this beyond internet comments.

Was the owner also the operator? Did he die in the sub too?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:53 pm

dw wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:23 pm I actually haven't read anything about this beyond internet comments.

Yes

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:29 pm

dw wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:23 pm I actually haven't read anything about this beyond internet comments.

Yes. The actual pilot was another guy in this excursion....the owner/CEO was acting as your guide this time.

Skander

Post by Skander » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:52 pm

Actual video of the CEO's last moments:

JonA

Post by JonA » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:01 am

More proof that the Titan was taking unnecessary risks...

https://fox8.com/news/man-who-gave-up-s ... -concerns/
Bloom texted Rush about safety concerns his son’s friend had brought up about “what could go wrong.”

“He researched the marine life at that depth and perceived threats to the vessel,” Bloom wrote. “A sperm whale attacks the sub or a giant squid grabs it and compromises the hull.”
I can't tell if this is an elaborate troll of the media or legit parody.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:26 am

JonA wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:01 am More proof that the Titan was taking unnecessary risks...

https://fox8.com/news/man-who-gave-up-s ... -concerns/
Bloom texted Rush about safety concerns his son’s friend had brought up about “what could go wrong.”

“He researched the marine life at that depth and perceived threats to the vessel,” Bloom wrote. “A sperm whale attacks the sub or a giant squid grabs it and compromises the hull.”
Isn't squid defense what all of those exposed wires were for?

I also enjoyed how they were using the sleazy "we made eye-contact on the highway with them once and now we're 'associated'" salesman tactic:

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... oeing.html

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:47 pm

Pulling up some piece of it now.

The front titian dome is all there (of course), but the window is gone. The sudden implosion would pop that right off.

Both titanium ring are in tact, and I can't see any bits of the carbon fiber hull/cylinder still attached .... it looks "clean".

The carbonfiber thing imploded, and the rapid deformation popped it right out of the recessed/glued joints.

Titanium is the only thing in this whole mess living up to that Titan root word.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:45 am

JonA wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:01 am
Ya know this whole time I've been thinking the recovery and pending 'investigation' is all a bit silly because what new information will we find other than 'it was crushed by a shit ton of pressure' but damned if I didn't once consider how wild it would be if there was evidence that some 20,000 Leagues shit went down instead...

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:01 am

Counterpoint: building and riding a death sub is on net a much better use of billionaire time/money vs influencing elections, turning the damn frogs gay, etc.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:33 am

BostonRugger wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:01 am Counterpoint: building and riding a death sub is on net a much better use of billionaire time/money vs influencing elections, turning the damn frogs gay, etc.
The guy was barely a "millionaire".... a poser billionarie.
He was a couple levels down from say a Trump, Musk, Gates, Soros, James Cameron, etc....or say the Pakistani guy he killed.

====================

Oddly, a lot of their advertising media is still up.

what's funny, I just saw this last night, and the comments were still on then.
Top comment was (2 days old) "Once in a lifetime experience" ...lolz, sick burn.

Anyway, I see now (this morning) they turned off the comments ... so its not like someone is just not at the wheel.
surprised its all still up. There's a lot of ammo in here that could be used be suing lawyers.
(then again, I'm sure all the lawyers held on retainer by said billionaire-passengers, had their paralegals downloading their own copies
of this shit with an hour of the "communications being lost" )

EDIT: the narrator in the video actually says that: "A once in a lifetime opportunity" ....first line of the video. Damn

EDIT2: "its tougher to go to the bottom of the ocean than the far side of the moon". Bullshit ! You could have an argument about ONCE YOU FINALLY GOT THERE, which environment is then "tougher to deal with" or something. But he said "to go to the". Yeah, I think you got that very wrong buddy.
Fuck right off with that.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:25 pm

mbasic wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:33 am
BostonRugger wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:01 am Counterpoint: building and riding a death sub is on net a much better use of billionaire time/money vs influencing elections, turning the damn frogs gay, etc.
The guy was barely a "millionaire".... a poser billionarie.
He was a couple levels down from say a Trump, Musk, Gates, Soros, James Cameron, etc....or say the Pakistani guy he killed.

====================

Oddly, a lot of their advertising media is still up.

what's funny, I just saw this last night, and the comments were still on then.
Top comment was (2 days old) "Once in a lifetime experience" ...lolz, sick burn.

Anyway, I see now (this morning) they turned off the comments ... so its not like someone is just not at the wheel.
surprised its all still up. There's a lot of ammo in here that could be used be suing lawyers.
(then again, I'm sure all the lawyers held on retainer by said billionaire-passengers, had their paralegals downloading their own copies
of this shit with an hour of the "communications being lost" )

EDIT: the narrator in the video actually says that: "A once in a lifetime opportunity" ....first line of the video. Damn

EDIT2: "its tougher to go to the bottom of the ocean than the far side of the moon". Bullshit ! You could have an argument about ONCE YOU FINALLY GOT THERE, which environment is then "tougher to deal with" or something. But he said "to go to the". Yeah, I think you got that very wrong buddy.
Fuck right off with that.
At the end of the day, lawyers will not get far or much. Canadian courts cannot give awards like in the US, they are limited by law, and I don't know that they have any recourse in International or Maritime court.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:05 am

howabout just general pride and 'tact' and decency then?

.... maybe put the videos, media, and website advertising on hold for a couple of year or forever.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:21 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:05 am howabout just general pride and 'tact' and decency then?

.... maybe put the videos, media, and website advertising on hold for a couple of year or forever.
Probably way worse to start pulling down the websites and whatnot when you’re going to get sued.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:40 am

mgil wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:21 am
mbasic wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:05 am howabout just general pride and 'tact' and decency then?

Probably way worse to start pulling down the websites and whatnot when you’re going to get sued.
what? it looks incriminating or "too defensive" to take the stuff down.
If so its funny that they are self-cornered into doubling down then (leaving it all up).

howabout under simple premise says the one single craft they had is "indefinitely out of commission" and/or they simply "can't offer this tour for the time being"? And maybe out of respect for the dead? Seems like you would want to convey to the public you are going to iron out the safety bugs in the current platform.

I guess if the customers all signed the waiver accordingly, I guess the rationale "we did nothing wrong" .... but I think gross negligence or deception is going to invalidate all that.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:58 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:40 am Seems like you would want to convey to the public you are going to iron out the safety bugs in the current platform.
Considering the CEO/owner is dead -- and the demand for these rides is probably (mostly) dead too -- I doubt there's some great need to assure the public that they'll get all the bugs.