Double Overhand Deadlifts Harder on Lower Back?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

hector

Double Overhand Deadlifts Harder on Lower Back?

Post by hector » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:45 am

Is there a reason double overhand deadlifts (not hook grip) would be tougher on lower back than the same weight mixed grip or hook grip or with straps?

I can’t imagine physiologically or mechanically why this would be the case, yet it is my experience.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Re: Double Overhand Deadlifts Harder on Lower Back?

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:09 am

Could it be because, since you feel that your grip is an issue, it acts as a distraction and you can't concentrate on performing the lift with good technique (and then your lower back must perform more work than required with good technique) ? When the bar starts to slip I almost always feel my technique going to shit (which is why i only use straps).

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:21 am

Yeah, when grip starts to give out I always start to loose tightness/round my back and it feels like I’m on the verge of a back tweak.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:51 am

Agree with the above. Also, when pulling DOH versus hook or mixed, I think the bar is an inch or so lower / further away due to where it sits in the hand, which may make some difference. (The fly in the ointment for that theory is straps. I got nothing there.)

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:12 pm

Just based on my own experience it comes from a very small degree of grip lost right as the bar comes off the floor.

Doesn't matter how hard you're squeezing the bar, above a certain weight you can't avoid a minuscule degree of change in the bar's position in your hand as the weight comes off the floor and while that doesn't mean you lose tension, it does mean there's a leak of tension as the bar moves.

That's the feeling of getting pulled out of position when you pull DOH, which won't happen at any other time because the other grips are strong enough for that not to happen.

The stronger your grip, the more weight it takes for that to occur but IMO it will always happen.

To avoid this I pull hook from the empty bar onwards. With hook you can, as I understand it, set your grip like with straps by pulling on the bar which seats the bar in your hand where it won't move. Mixed you can do the same, but with DOH it won't work because all you have it grip strength as opposed to the other methods where you have help either from a strap, your thumb working like a strap or mixed grip where the bar can't roll.

hector

Post by hector » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:09 pm

Thanks all.
I never thought of it that way.
When I’m pulling double overhand, even when it’s not a challenging weight, it does end up sitting just a little lower in my hand. Could be the cause.

Goat

Post by Goat » Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:51 pm

My understanding is that there's a neurological link between your hands and everything else in your body. If your nervous system doesn't think you have a good enough grip, it won't let you put all your power down (or something).

This is why weights suddenly start flying up when you add straps.