TRT MEGA THREAD

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mbasic

Re: TRT MEGA THREAD

Post by mbasic » Thu May 25, 2023 1:39 pm

Philbert wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:15 pm
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:33 pm
hector wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:20 pm My coworker has a regular t score. Not sure exact number. Said he wants to get TRT, start lifting, get jacked.
Been on TRT for months now, t is now > 1,000, still hasn’t started lifting.

Any idea what will happen? Good, bad, or other?
Is this even legal for a doctor to prescribe test to somebody whose levels are within the normal range (I'm not familiar with the US health system, I'm assuming this is in the US) ?

Also, if the guy wanted to get jacked, why didn't he start lifting in the first place ? I mean it's not like its difficult to find a gym and go there 2-3 times a week.
IN the US, mostly physicians can prescribe any drug they want for any condition they claim it is appropriate for without running afoul of the law, unless someone complains or gets injured.
Physicians prescribe all kinds of injurious prescriptions all the time (statins, opioids, SSRIs, etc)

Injury is in the eye of the beholder.

Also you wouldn't complain, if you didn't know that is was the 'medicine' that injured you.

... but i digress

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Fri May 26, 2023 10:30 pm

I mean every medicine can injure you, otherwise it's a placebo, and the doctor is here to evaluate the benefit to risk ratio and weight this against the benefit to risk ratio of other possible things. The thing that caught my attention was that, in the case of prescribing TRT to people who have no hormonal problems there seems to be all of the risk but little benefits (I would not count benching lmfao3pl8 as a benefit in the medical context). And compare this with the risk to benefit ratio of just eating a balanced diet and taking a walk around the block 1 hour a day ? Come on.

This system where the patient comes in, and tells the doctor "prescribe this to me lol I need it, I read it on le internet " and the doctor is just here to write a prescription and collect the money is terrible. It's the same thing as guns, people need to be defended against their own stupidity (and to quote George Carlin the stupids are an extended family), and the role of a doctor should be one of the people that contribute to this defense mechanism.

I mean I get it if somebody tells you about a magic pill that makes you look better and feel stronger and whatever, it's human to want some of the magic pills, especially if you feel that you have no control over your body, but the facts that doctors and other enablers such as the pseudo scientists telling the public that you have low test after 30 have zero ethics and just play along is annoying.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat May 27, 2023 4:31 pm

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:30 pm I mean every medicine can injure you, otherwise it's a placebo, and the doctor is here to evaluate the benefit to risk ratio and weight this against the benefit to risk ratio of other possible things. The thing that caught my attention was that, in the case of prescribing TRT to people who have no hormonal problems there seems to be all of the risk but little benefits (I would not count benching lmfao3pl8 as a benefit in the medical context). And compare this with the risk to benefit ratio of just eating a balanced diet and taking a walk around the block 1 hour a day ? Come on.

This system where the patient comes in, and tells the doctor "prescribe this to me lol I need it, I read it on le internet " and the doctor is just here to write a prescription and collect the money is terrible. It's the same thing as guns, people need to be defended against their own stupidity (and to quote George Carlin the stupids are an extended family), and the role of a doctor should be one of the people that contribute to this defense mechanism.

I mean I get it if somebody tells you about a magic pill that makes you look better and feel stronger and whatever, it's human to want some of the magic pills, especially if you feel that you have no control over your body, but the facts that doctors and other enablers such as the pseudo scientists telling the public that you have low test after 30 have zero ethics and just play along is annoying.
Test is known to be on a scale that declines with age, and because different labs use different coefficients to calculate with no standard there is a lot of room for mouthpieces on the internet to spout nonsense. Most doctors are not qualified to deal with hormones, it's a complicated specialty. The problem is that there are doctors that will prescribe lots of stuff without knowing much about that thing. I'm not ripping on doctors, it's literally impossible to know everything. Someone with regular T levels will have zero health benefits from TRT, and probably no lifting benefits either. I am pretty sure that running a cycle of test with less than 500 mg a week is a waste of time for a healthy man, it's a lot of risk and little reward fooling around with less. At the end of the day ot's still a synthetic substitute, not the real thing.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Tue May 30, 2023 7:13 am

mbasic wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:39 pm
Philbert wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:15 pm
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:33 pm
hector wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:20 pm My coworker has a regular t score. Not sure exact number. Said he wants to get TRT, start lifting, get jacked.
Been on TRT for months now, t is now > 1,000, still hasn’t started lifting.

Any idea what will happen? Good, bad, or other?
Is this even legal for a doctor to prescribe test to somebody whose levels are within the normal range (I'm not familiar with the US health system, I'm assuming this is in the US) ?

Also, if the guy wanted to get jacked, why didn't he start lifting in the first place ? I mean it's not like its difficult to find a gym and go there 2-3 times a week.
IN the US, mostly physicians can prescribe any drug they want for any condition they claim it is appropriate for without running afoul of the law, unless someone complains or gets injured.
Physicians prescribe all kinds of injurious prescriptions all the time (statins, opioids, SSRIs, etc)

Injury is in the eye of the beholder.

Also you wouldn't complain, if you didn't know that is was the 'medicine' that injured you.

... but i digress
Yes, all drugs are poisons, as the saying goes, but when someone prescribes a statin for high cholesterol and the patient develops rhabdomyolysis and complains, a licensing board will find in favor of the physician because prescribing statins for this indication is "standard care". A physician prescribing TRT for a patient with normal levels may be subject to sanction if the patient complains.