Shoulder bursitis treatment?

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

hector

Shoulder bursitis treatment?

Post by hector » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:09 pm

Has anyone made it through a shoulder bursitis? Or have insight into how best do so?

I had minor shoulder irritation these past few weeks. Barely noticeable. Definitely didn’t prevent me from benching or pressing. Friday, the shoulder pain suddenly worsened. Skipped benching bc after my first warmup set with 135 I felt like something might get messed up if I persisted.

I’m tempted to think this is because I got sick on Friday and maybe inflammation increased systemically, aggravating the bursitis, but this is pure bro-science conjecture.

Also, I had assumed that overhead press was sufficient to keep rotator cuff healthy and strong. Is this wrong?

Renascent
Desperado

Re: Shoulder bursitis treatment?

Post by Renascent » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:32 pm

hector wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:09 pmAlso, I had assumed that overhead press was sufficient to keep rotator cuff healthy and strong. Is this wrong?
I can't speak on bursitis treatments, but ...

As much as I love overhead pressing, I've never been convinced that it's sufficient on its own to cover all "functional" aspects of the rotator cuff. Individual anthropometry, personal movement biases, injury history, etc. -- there's likely too many variables to say for certain that the press is all one needs to keep all four muscles healthy and happy.

And there's, like, 17 (?) muscles with attachments to the scapulae. I suspect many of those are also influenced by their origin points along the cervical and thoracic spine, ribcage, the elbows, and so on.

Just throwing shit at the wall: depending on what the actual root of the situation is, I'd be more interested in targeted lower trap, rear delt, and rhomboid work.

Get that FTS-1 attachment and go fucking crazy.

hector

Post by hector » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:17 pm

Renascent wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:32 pm
hector wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:09 pmAlso, I had assumed that overhead press was sufficient to keep rotator cuff healthy and strong. Is this wrong?

As much as I love overhead pressing, I've never been convinced that it's sufficient on its own to cover all "functional" aspects of the rotator cuff. Individual anthropometry, personal movement biases, injury history, etc. -- there's likely too many variables to say for certain that the press is all one needs to keep all four muscles healthy and happy.

And there's, like, 17 (?) muscles with attachments to the scapulae. I suspect many of those are also influenced by their origin points along the cervical and thoracic spine, ribcage, the elbows, and so on.

Just throwing shit at the wall: depending on what the actual root of the situation is, I'd be more interested in targeted lower trap, rear delt, and rhomboid work.

Thank you!
I’m definitely going to try to work in more shoulder stuff.

What is this FTS-1 attachment? I googled it, but only saw a York FTS-1 that looks like it is for legs. Unless I misunderstand it.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:25 pm

hector wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:17 pm

Thank you!

What is this FTS-1 attachment? I googled it, but only saw a York FTS-1 that looks like it is for legs. Unless I misunderstand it.
I thought I was referencing that pulley attachment you mentioned in the Equipment subforum (I kinda skimmed the thread, so my mistake if I misread something).

https://dialedmotion.com/

hector

Post by hector » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:52 pm

Renascent wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:25 pm

Thank you!

I thought I was referencing that pulley attachment you mentioned in the Equipment subforum (I kinda skimmed the thread, so my mistake if I misread something).

Oh. My mistake. Thank you!

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:08 pm

hector wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:52 pm
Renascent wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:25 pm

Thank you!

Oh. My mistake. Thank you!
No problem, though I'm just stabbing in the dark.

Anyway, good luck with the rehab. Shoulder shit is annoying.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:00 am

I’ll weigh in here.

I had my SLAP tear repaired in my left shoulder. After that, I thought I’d be on my way to repping a 225 OHP again, but lol no.

My right shoulder started getting a bursitis like pain to the point where lifting things with any shoulder extension was massively painful. Turns out the posterior part of my right shoulder had gone to shit while not lifting and when lifting again, something was missing from my movements that was leading to some sort of imbalance (I now believe these can be real as injuries and age accumulate) around the joint. I went to the same PT that saved my right hip from surgery and he zeroed in on teres minor. A little muscle in the rear of the rotator cuff. I started focus on that and pain went away. Then I was too focused and it came screaming back.

Basically, a good PT who can work you through some ROM and find those pissed off muscles and tendons can pinpoint some issues. Then it’s just a matter of incorporating some light work into your routine until things are a bit more integrated again.

This process reminds me of a post I stumbled upon before I ever bought Rip’s books well over a decade ago.

There’s actually a lot of good points in this post:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthre ... =135564721

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:56 am

We typically see people come off Rippetoes with tiny rear delts, relatively weak upper backs. Some people choose to powerclean which is absolutely idiotic. It takes far too much technical prowess to get a powerclean to adequately work the upper back. So people are pressing OH and flat benching 3x a week with literally no rowing movement. Some are smarter and do BB rows, but I believe the beginner lacks coordination to properly do rows in a way that combats the internal rotation from the pressing. Also, the chin ups are treated as optional when they should be mandatory, cause squatting works those lats... right?
I refrained from saying so in my original post, but I think that the idea of The Press™ being sufficient on its own for "balanced" development of the shoulder girdle probably got popularized by somebody who mostly wanted to sell books and keep their explanations simple enough to encourage compliance (and avoid pushback and scrutiny from weekend warriors with smaller minds, like myself).

The same coach seemed to think that anyone who benched appreciable weight -- whatever that means -- in their lifetime should expect to deal with osteophytes at some point, as if such a condition is a rite of passage and a testament to one's physical fortitude. Core training is for people who can't keep their eyes on the real prize. And the solution to postural imbalances (that lead to pain or impairment) is to simply "stand up straight" until said imbalances just magically go away...

hector

Post by hector » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:03 pm

mgil wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:00 am I’ll weigh in here.

I had my SLAP tear repaired in my left shoulder. After that, I thought I’d be on my way to repping a 225 OHP again, but lol no.

My right shoulder started getting a bursitis like pain to the point where lifting things with any shoulder extension was massively painful. Turns out the posterior part of my right shoulder had gone to shit while not lifting and when lifting again, something was missing from my movements that was leading to some sort of imbalance (I now believe these can be real as injuries and age accumulate) around the joint. I went to the same PT that saved my right hip from surgery and he zeroed in on teres minor. A little muscle in the rear of the rotator cuff. I started focus on that and pain went away. Then I was too focused and it came screaming back.

Basically, a good PT who can work you through some ROM and find those pissed off muscles and tendons can pinpoint some issues. Then it’s just a matter of incorporating some light work into your routine until things are a bit more integrated again.

This process reminds me of a post I stumbled upon before I ever bought Rip’s books well over a decade ago.

There’s actually a lot of good points in this post:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthre ... =135564721
(1) I’m looking into Teres Minor. I remember watching you rebuild your press on IG. Thank you!
(2) that was a good article. Annoyed this kid figured out at 19 what I didn’t until much, much later.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:52 am

Banded external rotations and cuban rotations would probably be good things to check out.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:17 am

Renascent wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:56 am
We typically see people come off Rippetoes with tiny rear delts, relatively weak upper backs. Some people choose to powerclean which is absolutely idiotic. It takes far too much technical prowess to get a powerclean to adequately work the upper back. So people are pressing OH and flat benching 3x a week with literally no rowing movement. Some are smarter and do BB rows, but I believe the beginner lacks coordination to properly do rows in a way that combats the internal rotation from the pressing. Also, the chin ups are treated as optional when they should be mandatory, cause squatting works those lats... right?
I refrained from saying so in my original post, but I think that the idea of The Press™ being sufficient on its own for "balanced" development of the shoulder girdle probably got popularized by somebody who mostly wanted to sell books and keep their explanations simple enough to encourage compliance (and avoid pushback and scrutiny from weekend warriors with smaller minds, like myself).

The same coach seemed to think that anyone who benched appreciable weight -- whatever that means -- in their lifetime should expect to deal with osteophytes at some point, as if such a condition is a rite of passage and a testament to one's physical fortitude. Core training is for people who can't keep their eyes on the real prize. And the solution to postural imbalances (that lead to pain or impairment) is to simply "stand up straight" until said imbalances just magically go away...
oof. that quote hits home (to version of me about 8 years back).

Also, keep in mind that guy's analysis of SSNLP was back in 2011. Since then we've seen widespread adopting of the anything-goes-bent-press (for OHP). I suspect much less rear shoulder/scapula anatomy is being used doing Press 2.0 and 3.0 compared to strict/1.0/1.5. So now they're benching, and doing standing inclines (w/ an overhead lockout).....so its even more of an anterior delt/pec program now.

--------------------------

What is funny to me, if you think about the "most muscle mass used" tenet .... man, the back seems to contain a whole lot more musculature than the "front".

Front being only the pecs and ant.delts.....maybe the abs, but even if you train those, IDK how "big" they get. "And here at SS, we don't 'do abs' because it would be gay."

Back being lats, traps, rear delt, rhomboids, erector chain, and a bunch of other shit.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:31 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:17 am
Renascent wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:56 am

oof. that quote hits home (to version of me about 8 years back).

Also, keep in mind that guy's analysis of SSNLP was back in 2011. Since then we've seen widespread adopting of the anything-goes-bent-press (for OHP). I suspect much less rear shoulder/scapula anatomy is being used doing Press 2.0 and 3.0 compared to strict/1.0/1.5. So now they're benching, and doing standing inclines (w/ an overhead lockout).....so its even more of an anterior delt/pec program now.

--------------------------

What is funny to me, if you think about the "most muscle mass used" tenet .... man, the back seems to contain a whole lot more musculature than the "front".

Front being only the pecs and ant.delts.....maybe the abs, but even if you train those, IDK how "big" they get. "And here at SS, we don't 'do abs' because it would be gay."

Back being lats, traps, rear delt, rhomboids, erector chain, and a bunch of other shit.

5 reps of deadlifts/week are all the work an adult human male's back needs.