Resources for Sports Conditioning

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Resources for Sports Conditioning

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:10 am

Does anyone have any good resources/authorities on sports conditioning? In most basic terms, looking to balance strength/conditioning along with agility/speed stuff to prepare for a given sports season.

Specifically, I'm going to prepare for rugby in the fall. I'm reasonably capable of creating a program for myself based on what I know about periodization and the needs of the sport*. That said, I wouldn't hate having some high quality information to reference.

Most of what I can find online that is specific to rugby is on par quality-wise with a 2007 bb.com article sponsored by Animalpak. It ain't exactly Stronger By Science.

What say you, Exodus? Is there such a thing as a BBM/SBS in this field? A renegade Montanan? Just go full Alex Viada and call it good?

*Typically defined as a multi-sprint sport. 100-120 minute total duration with 80 minutes of gameplay. As far as running, it's ballpark 70% walking/standing, 25% jogging, 5% sprinting/running. Impact/high-effort wise, you're looking at 15-20 scrums, 15-20 lineout lifts/jumps, ~10-20 impacts from ball running or tackling.

Hardartery

Re: Resources for Sports Conditioning

Post by Hardartery » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:07 am

BostonRugger wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:10 am Does anyone have any good resources/authorities on sports conditioning? In most basic terms, looking to balance strength/conditioning along with agility/speed stuff to prepare for a given sports season.

Specifically, I'm going to prepare for rugby in the fall. I'm reasonably capable of creating a program for myself based on what I know about periodization and the needs of the sport*. That said, I wouldn't hate having some high quality information to reference.

Most of what I can find online that is specific to rugby is on par quality-wise with a 2007 bb.com article sponsored by Animalpak. It ain't exactly Stronger By Science.

What say you, Exodus? Is there such a thing as a BBM/SBS in this field? A renegade Montanan? Just go full Alex Viada and call it good?

*Typically defined as a multi-sprint sport. 100-120 minute total duration with 80 minutes of gameplay. As far as running, it's ballpark 70% walking/standing, 25% jogging, 5% sprinting/running. Impact/high-effort wise, you're looking at 15-20 scrums, 15-20 lineout lifts/jumps, ~10-20 impacts from ball running or tackling.
Sika Strength has some videos on it, they train some Rugby players and have played at some level I believe. Check their Youtube channel.

asdf

Post by asdf » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:27 pm

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:55 am

Izzy posted on SS forum years ago about some MMA conditioning book. Seemed interesting if you are willing to search for it
Last edited by TheDuke on Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:11 pm

Joel Jameison’s Ultimate MMA conditioning