Platypus lifts/reads

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

hector

Re: Platypus lifts/reads

Post by hector » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:58 pm

Do you ever do the rubber bands for your fingers? They help with forearm and elbow pain from gripping and stones and strongman stuff. Super cheap to try also. You don't have to buy the Ironmind ones, you can just get some strong ones meant for office work off Amazon.

Have you read McWhorter? He has written some amazing stuff explaining how wokeness is a religion.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:08 pm

7/27/20
Hammer chinup BWx28 in 20 minutes
Semi-close pushup BWx36 in 20 minutes

7/28/20
Pistol from 18" block BWx20 in 20 minutes
3 hill sprints

7/30/20
Hammer chinup BWx34 in 20 minutes
Semi-close pushup BWx60 in 20 minutes

8/1/20
Pistol from 18" block BWx26 in 20 minutes
2 hill sprints

Notes:
- Semi-close pushups for me means fingers about 8 inches apart. Right between a regular and a close grip.

- I'm doing the pistols while standing on a block since the hardest part for me is balancing and holding up the leg in front. The plan is to gradually decrease the size of the block, so I keep having to hold the front leg higher. We'll see how that pans out.

- Didn't read much this week, just Esther from the King James Bible. It's a short, wild story about the Jews' attempt to foil a planned holocaust. Chapter one was particularly great: King Ahasuerus gets snubbed by his wife, and immediately his advisors start worrying about the long-term consequences for the kingdom if all the women start copying the queen's behavior.

- My waist measurement averaged 37.3" last week. The course of going from average, to lean, then back to average, has been enlightening. I know looks are important when it comes to dating, but it is only in the last year that I've realized how much. Here's an example:
At a party in January, I met a girl named Lily. She was nineteen, with an hourglass figure, and she was cooking tacos. I'm a sucker for a woman who likes to cook, and she kept looking at me with eyes of lust. But she had a very nice boyfriend, and I wasn't going to wade into that kind of drama.
Two weeks later I got a text from my friend who planned the party. "Hey my friend Lily broke up with her boyfriend and she wants your number, mind if I give it to her?" Shortly afterwards, Lily was texting me, telling me how attractive she found me, and we made plans to see each other that evening.

It's not as if every day was like that when I was leaner, but it wasn't atypical either. Just 4 inches on my waist later, that kind of experience is a pipe dream. Basically, I have to choose between Lilys or carbs, and for the last few months I've been choosing carbs. I am also unsure if that was the most appropriate choice. Then I wonder, am I really so thirsty that I'd give up bread for the sake of more opportunity in the dystopian world of instagram-era dating? That's a path that will probably lead where it's lead many of my buddies already: a short, passionate marriage followed by a nasty divorce and an even nastier custody battle.
On the other hand, if I choose the contented life of eating as I like, will I have as many cool stories?
Gluttony and lust are the least serious of the seven deadly sins, right?
Did Epstein really kill himself?
Does the Stoic logos actually exist outside my imagination?
Was it prudent to start my college admissions essay with a story about huffing ammonia at a powerlifting meet?
These questions, and others, haunt my dreams each night.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:10 pm

hector wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:58 pm Do you ever do the rubber bands for your fingers? They help with forearm and elbow pain from gripping and stones and strongman stuff. Super cheap to try also. You don't have to buy the Ironmind ones, you can just get some strong ones meant for office work off Amazon.
I actually got the ironmind rubber bands at the same time as I got the gripper; I've been doing the finger extensions.
hector wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:58 pm Have you read McWhorter? He has written some amazing stuff explaining how wokeness is a religion.
I wasn't familiar with him, but now I'm binge-reading his articles.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:36 pm

8/3/20
Hammer chin BWx38 in 20 minutes
Close pushup BWx36 in 20 minutes

8/4/20
Pistol squat from 18” block BWx29 in 20 minutes

8/7/20
Hammer chin BWx40 in 20 minutes
Close pushup BWx50 in 20 minutes

8/8/20
Pistol squat from 18” block BWx44 in 20 minutes

Notes:
- Waist averaged 37.83” this week.

- Had a breakthrough on this last pistol squat workout: I stayed on the block for 10 total reps per side between breaks, and I was able to do a lot more. This is not unlike in highschool, when after trying several complicated schemes I realized I could improve my mile time by running faster.

- My grandfather, one of the most intelligent people I’ve met, grew up speaking English and Louisiana French. When I was a kid he and my grandma would switch to French anytime they wanted to have a private conversation in front of the grandkids. When he was an electronics technician for the Army Air Corps, he got stationed in Japan and learned Japanese well enough to be mistaken for a native over the radio. He also knew a bit of German, and the Lord’s prayer in more languages than I could count. I think it was watching him that gave me an appreciation for languages, and a healthy respect for people who speak more than one.

Over the course of my life thus far, I’ve tried many times to learn a second language. I’ve met enough stupid bilingual people to realize it can’t be impossible, yet I’ve failed repeatedly. I’ve tried Spanish a lot, because I heard it’s the easiest language for English speakers to pick up, and because it would have been really convenient when I lived in Florida. And I tried Koine Greek, with the same lack of success. As well as a few others.

The problem became apparent to me only recently: none of the languages I tried felt like they were mine. A buddy of mine asked why I didn’t learn French, my ancestral language, and I had no response. After a few days of pondering, I realized it’s pathetic that I don’t know the language of my own people.

So for the last two months I’ve been spending about a half hour a day learning French on Mango Languages (free from my library) and watching French TV shows, trying to understand as much as I can. I’ve also been playing French radio as background noise, to pick it up by osmosis. And for the first time with a second language, I am actually learning. I even got drunk (oddly necessary for matters of pronunciation) and learned how to do the French “u” sound. Another year and I can probably start reading French books, and from that point on acquiring the language should be a gravy train.

I realize the importance of English as the common tongue of the US – being wholly unable to communicate in parts of Florida made that obvious- but it’s dawning on me that being a conservative starts with language. English is fine for Anglos, but if other European Americans can’t be bothered to conserve our own languages, then we deserve the lack of identity that comes with being lumped under an umbrella as large as “white,” as if culture and heritage were a matter of skin color.

I’ve encountered Hispanic, Slavic, and Jewish communities in the US that preserve their languages while still knowing and using English with outsiders, and I am starting think that is probably one of the best ways to keep from being sucked into the uniculture where people's identify comes from loyalty to a particular sports team, large corporation, or group of politicians.

Speaking of language and cultural identify, I am guilty of having followed the Brits in putting punctuation outside the quotation marks on many occasions. I’ve resolved to quit doing that, however more it makes sense, because this is America. Screw the redcoats.

I’ve also been eating red beans and rice, made gumbo for the first time (cheating from a mix), and have plans for some etouffee. Soon, it will be obvious to people I meet that I am a Franco-Louisianian, despite my Califlorida accent.

Anyway, that’s my pseudo-philosophical musing for the day, since I seem to prefer writing about anything other than training in my log. Salut!

BenM

Post by BenM » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:13 pm

Your pseudo philosophical musing is a lot more interesting than mine!

That's really cool that you're having success learning French. And there is something to what you say, people are inherently tribal and form bonds around those things, but I think cultural identity around language and custom is far more important and definitely worth preserving.

hector

Post by hector » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:33 pm

F.
I have ancestors who speak French and I don't know it either.

If I can pass a proficiency test at my job for Spanish I would get a bonus so I've been thinking about that for awhile. I just saw "lingopie" which looks like a cool idea for learning a language, but i think it's only Spanish so far.

Good luck with your French!

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:41 pm

8/10/20
Hammer chin BWx50 in 20 min.
Close pushup BWx56 in 20 min.

8/11/20
18” block pistol BWx50ea in 20 min.

8/13/20
Uneven towel chinup BWx10ea in 20 min.
Close pushup BWx60 in 20 min.

8/14/20
6” block pistol BWx11ea in 20 min.

Training Notes:
- Uneven towel chinups mean I throw a towel over the bar, grab the towel with one hand and the bar with the other, and do chinups that way. The goal is to force more of my weight onto the hand that’s holding the bar. I tried a chain at first, but it quickly became a slip and slide so I switched to a towel. That’s $36 I could have saved on chain…

- Also, for uneven/unilateral exercises I’m logging the reps with ea to specify that I did that many on each side.

Reading
Finished Antifragile and started on the most recent addition to the Incerto, Skin in the Game. Given the usual media smears for any current author I appreciate, I am mystified as to why Nassim Taleb is not called a neo-Nazi/white supremacist/alt-right by the mass media. Perhaps his foreign-sounding name saves him.

French
Mango integrates the vocabulary you learn with reading and listening exercises, which is why I chose it. I buy into Stephen Krashen’s comprehensible input hypothesis: basically, repeated exposure to input in the target language (reading, watching TV, conversation, etc.) at a level you can understand is the key to language learning. The more time you spend comprehending the language, the more fluent you become.

Here’s where the problem comes in. Mango has maybe two minutes of reading and listening for every 2-3 hours spent on memorization exercises, which is completely backwards. And the French TV I’ve been watching is not comprehensible input yet.

I’m quickly learning new material, but going back to review I realized I’m losing vocabulary off the tail end. If the app’s spaced repetition flashcard system decides I know something well enough to only hear it once every two weeks or so, I promptly forget it. I need comprehensible input for repeated exposure to vocabulary and grammar in context.

My ideal language course would have me memorize some words for ten minutes or so, then spend the next 50 minutes having me watch TV clips and read short stories using words I’ve learned almost exclusively. Each day would build on the last, adding a few new words followed by a ton of comprehensible input.

I was planning to start reading with classic French novels as soon as I got to that level, but now I’ve decided to try graded readers, basically Dick and Jane books that get progressively harder in terms of grammar and vocabulary. I’ll probably replace all the TV time with reading.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:43 pm

hector wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:33 pm If I can pass a proficiency test at my job for Spanish I would get a bonus so I've been thinking about that for awhile. I just saw "lingopie" which looks like a cool idea for learning a language, but i think it's only Spanish so far.
Yeah, that looks fantastic. It appears they want to come out with a French version, so maybe eventually.
hector wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:33 pm Good luck with your French!
BenM wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:13 pm Your pseudo philosophical musing is a lot more interesting than mine!
Thank you both!

hector

Post by hector » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:03 pm

platypus wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:41 pm 8/10/20
Hammer chin BWx50 in 20 min.
Close pushup BWx56 in 20 min.

8/11/20
18” block pistol BWx50ea in 20 min.

8/13/20
Uneven towel chinup BWx10ea in 20 min.
Close pushup BWx60 in 20 min.

8/14/20
6” block pistol BWx11ea in 20 min.

Training Notes:
- Uneven towel chinups mean I throw a towel over the bar, grab the towel with one hand and the bar with the other, and do chinups that way. The goal is to force more of my weight onto the hand that’s holding the bar. I tried a chain at first, but it quickly became a slip and slide so I switched to a towel. That’s $36 I could have saved on chain…

- Also, for uneven/unilateral exercises I’m logging the reps with ea to specify that I did that many on each side.

Reading
Finished Antifragile and started on the most recent addition to the Incerto, Skin in the Game. Given the usual media smears for any current author I appreciate, I am mystified as to why Nassim Taleb is not called a neo-Nazi/white supremacist/alt-right by the mass media. Perhaps his foreign-sounding name saves him.

French
Mango integrates the vocabulary you learn with reading and listening exercises, which is why I chose it. I buy into Stephen Krashen’s comprehensible input hypothesis: basically, repeated exposure to input in the target language (reading, watching TV, conversation, etc.) at a level you can understand is the key to language learning. The more time you spend comprehending the language, the more fluent you become.

Here’s where the problem comes in. Mango has maybe two minutes of reading and listening for every 2-3 hours spent on memorization exercises, which is completely backwards. And the French TV I’ve been watching is not comprehensible input yet.

I’m quickly learning new material, but going back to review I realized I’m losing vocabulary off the tail end. If the app’s spaced repetition flashcard system decides I know something well enough to only hear it once every two weeks or so, I promptly forget it. I need comprehensible input for repeated exposure to vocabulary and grammar in context.

My ideal language course would have me memorize some words for ten minutes or so, then spend the next 50 minutes having me watch TV clips and read short stories using words I’ve learned almost exclusively. Each day would build on the last, adding a few new words followed by a ton of comprehensible input.

I was planning to start reading with classic French novels as soon as I got to that level, but now I’ve decided to try graded readers, basically Dick and Jane books that get progressively harder in terms of grammar and vocabulary. I’ll probably replace all the TV time with reading.
Regarding Nassim Taleb, I remember book critics who wrote reviews and claimed to have found slight flaws in his ideas but that the books were otherwise solid. Taleb excoriated them mercilessly.
So maybe between that and his Lebanese background critics decide it wouldn't be worth it.

Those towel chinups sound badass.
Can you return the $36 chain?

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:33 pm

hector wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:03 pm Those towel chinups sound badass.
Thank you! The plan is, as I improve over the next few months/years, to keep moving my hand lower down the towel until eventually it's only assisting me for the first few inches of the chinup. And then I should be prepared to tackle a one-arm chinup, at least for partials.

The path to a strict one-arm pushup is a lot less clear. Convict Conditioning has some ideas for pushups with one hand on a basketball, but it seems awkward. I might try putting stones on my back during close-grip pushups.
hector wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:03 pmCan you return the $36 chain?
Sadly, no. But I can leave it lying around the house, and give guests evasive answers when they ask me what it's for. :lol:

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:28 pm

platypus wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:41 pmFinished Antifragile
hector wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:03 pmRegarding Nassim Taleb, I remember book critics who wrote reviews and claimed to have found slight flaws in his ideas but that the books were otherwise solid.
I read that one. The man has some seriously good ideas. He also has lots of ideas with big holes in logic. Unfortunately, he presents both sets of ideas with equal confidence.
I am mystified as to why Nassim Taleb is not called a neo-Nazi/white supremacist/alt-right by the mass media.
Well, if you want someone who is called all those things, you could give The Bell Curve a try. I just finished it. While there are plenty of legitimate criticisms of the book, I'm pretty sure most people doing the criticizing haven't actually read it. I've got 4700 words of notes (can't really judge "pages" in Evernote), and I was actively trying to avoid excessive note-taking, since it was slowing me way down.

hector

Post by hector » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:29 pm

SeanHerbison wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:28 pm
platypus wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:41 pmFinished Antifragile
hector wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:03 pmRegarding Nassim Taleb, I remember book critics who wrote reviews and claimed to have found slight flaws in his ideas but that the books were otherwise solid.
I read that one. The man has some seriously good ideas. He also has lots of ideas with big holes in logic. Unfortunately, he presents both sets of ideas with equal confidence.
I am mystified as to why Nassim Taleb is not called a neo-Nazi/white supremacist/alt-right by the mass media.
Well, if you want someone who is called all those things, you could give The Bell Curve a try. I just finished it. While there are plenty of legitimate criticisms of the book, I'm pretty sure most people doing the criticizing haven't actually read it. I've got 4700 words of notes (can't really judge "pages" in Evernote), and I was actively trying to avoid excessive note-taking, since it was slowing me way down.
Which of Taleb's ideas do you think had the greatest logical hole?
(Not calling you out. Trying to figure out where I should go back and read more critically.)

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:47 pm

hector wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:29 pmWhich of Taleb's ideas do you think had the greatest logical hole?
(Not calling you out. Trying to figure out where I should go back and read more critically.)
I don't have nearly the notes on that one. The biggest one I've got isn't a specific idea, but his use of absolute terms and his potshots at other professions (especially economists) without backing them up.

A couple specifics I noted:
"You cannot double your weight in a single day, not even a month, not possibly in a year."
- I wouldn't recommend it, but given that he goes out of his way to be absolute (not possibly), I take issue with it, since it is in fact possible.

"As always, the elders seem to have more wisdom than we moderns, and much, much simpler wisdom."
- Always? No. Often? Arguable.

He also has a "moral revulsion" at the thought of immortality and considers Ray Kurzweil his antithesis. Both of which I find strange at best.

hector

Post by hector » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:58 pm

SeanHerbison wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:47 pm
hector wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:29 pmWhich of Taleb's ideas do you think had the greatest logical hole?
I don't have nearly the notes on that one. The biggest one I've got isn't a specific idea, but his use of absolute terms and his potshots at other professions (especially economists) without backing them up.

"You cannot double your weight in a single day, not even a month, not possibly in a year."
- I wouldn't recommend it, but given that he goes out of his way to be absolute (not possibly), I take issue with it, since it is in fact possible.

"As always, the elders seem to have more wisdom than we moderns, and much, much simpler wisdom."

He also has a "moral revulsion" at the thought of immortality and considers Ray Kurzweil his antithesis. Both of which I find strange at best.
Yeah, he has an absolute way of speaking. I see it as a personality trait.
If we're going to hold him to a literal interpretation I would add that his lifting advice is garbage and cardio advice could use improvement.
I can forgive him for mannerisms like the excessive use of absolutes (i work with a lot of middle easterners and have studied some ME language and think theres a cultural/linguistic element at work here), or for not being an expert in subject areas he uses for metaphor without claiming expertise in.

hector

Post by hector » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:06 pm

SeanHerbison wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:47 pm

Reason magazine podcast was interviewing Taleb once. They were describing him with his varied background and finished off with, in an astonished tone, "Let me get this right, you can deadlift more than 300 lbs?????".

Taleb replied "Actually, significantly more than that."

One journalism mistake (astonishment at 300lb deadlift) preceded another; The interviewer failed to follow up and ask what Taleb's actual deadlift was.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:59 am

Training
In accordance with the 50/20 rules, I took this week mostly off. Did a lot of hiking and practicing headstands, and a bit of trying out some different bodyweight exercises.

Dieting
My waist averaged 36.88" this week, down about an inch from two weeks ago. I am on a modified version of Jamie Lewis' apex predator diet for fatties. Basically, most days are a PSMF during the day with a meat gorge for supper. My NDTFP version involves eggs and cheese wrapped in low-carb tortillas in addition to the meat.
Speaking of low carb tortillas, I bought the Mission carb balance ones, which have 25g of fiber each, and learned the hard way that my insides would prefer I eat no more than one per day.

Reading
Finished Skin in the Game by Nassim Taleb, then read Poems of T.S. Elliot, then started on a sci-fi novel called On Basilisk Station. Every time I read T.S. Elliot's poetry, I get the feeling that if I understood his poems I would understand everything. A few of them are simple and straightforward, like "Aunt Helen." But others, like "The Hollow Men" are very mysterious.

Also been listening to the New Testament on repeat during my commute. I'm not sure if I actually understand less each time I complete it, or if I just become more aware of how little I understand.

French
Working on a short story called La Pendentif By Sylvie Lane, listening to the audiobook while following along in the text as best I can. I also decided to try hiring a tutor on Italki, and have my trial lesson scheduled for tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.
SeanHerbison wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:28 pm
platypus wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:41 pmI am mystified as to why Nassim Taleb is not called a neo-Nazi/white supremacist/alt-right by the mass media.
I'll have to check that out. From the wiki page it reminds me of the movie Idiocracy.
hector wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:06 pm Reason magazine podcast was interviewing Taleb once. They were describing him with his varied background and finished off with, in an astonished tone, "Let me get this right, you can deadlift more than 300 lbs?????".

Taleb replied "Actually, significantly more than that."

One journalism mistake (astonishment at 300lb deadlift) preceded another; The interviewer failed to follow up and ask what Taleb's actual deadlift was.
He could do 340lbs for 5 reps, as of April:
IIRC when I was at 340x5 my 1rm was 435. I'd assume he can do at least four wheels.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:36 pm

8/24/20
18" decline pushup BWx65 in 20 min.

8/25/20
Zercher tinkerbell x25 in 20 min.

Notes:
- I'm not sure if zercher is the most appropriate word for what I do with the rock, but I can't think of anything closer. Here's how it works (video in post #440 on the last page)
1. Deadlift it
2. Squat down and set the rock on my knees,
3. Stand up,
4. Then get my arms under the rock.
Doing a normal zercher with a barbell, steps 3 and 4 would be reversed.

- Much better at decline pushups than I was last time I did them. It seems all the close grip pushups last cycle paid off.

- My superiors have reopened the gym on base, with certain limitations. I considered dumping the rocks lifts for barbell deadlifts at the base gym, but then I thought, which is more awesome: lifting something with convenient handles indoors, or lifting stones in a mudpit in the pouring rain?

After noticing a distinct lack of awesome in my life this summer, I have been trying to make more decisions based on how awesome they sound. So far this has resulted in choking down my first few dozen cups of coffee, bear hunting, salmon fishing, a bit more drinking than usual, and getting started learning French. Only time will tell if it's a good strategy in the long term.

hector

Post by hector » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:47 pm

platypus wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:36 pm 8/24/20
18" decline pushup BWx65 in 20 min.

8/25/20
Zercher tinkerbell x25 in 20 min.

Notes:
- I'm not sure if zercher is the most appropriate word for what I do with the rock, but I can't think of anything closer. Here's how it works (video in post #440 on the last page)
1. Deadlift it
2. Squat down and set the rock on my knees,
3. Stand up,
4. Then get my arms under the rock.
Doing a normal zercher with a barbell, steps 3 and 4 would be reversed.

- Much better at decline pushups than I was last time I did them. It seems all the close grip pushups last cycle paid off.

- My superiors have reopened the gym on base, with certain limitations. I considered dumping the rocks lifts for barbell deadlifts at the base gym, but then I thought, which is more awesome: lifting something with convenient handles indoors, or lifting stones in a mudpit in the pouring rain?

After noticing a distinct lack of awesome in my life this summer, I have been trying to make more decisions based on how awesome they sound. So far this has resulted in choking down my first few dozen cups of coffee, bear hunting, salmon fishing, a bit more drinking than usual, and getting started learning French. Only time will tell if it's a good strategy in the long term.
There's the "long term" where 10 years from now you think "F. Those choices were not financially optimal."

And then there's the long term where, on your death bed, you think "F. That was a hell of a life.".

Don't know about the first, but for sure you're working toward the second.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:41 pm

8/28/20
30" decline pushup BWx50 in 20 minutes

8/30/20
zercher Tinkerbell x30 in 20 minutes

Training:
- Not only was it my first time stone lifting with no rain, it hadn't rained for a good twenty-six hours before my workout. Tinkerbell was so much easier to lift.

French:
In order to further strengthen my tribal loyalties, I'm considering replacing my role models with their French-American equivalents. Portrait space is limited on my wall of heroes, so it's an either/or thing, not a both/and.
Here's what I'm considering so far:
- Joseph Broussard instead of Malcolm X. He lead the Cajuns out of Canada during the great expulsion, which was like the trail of tears for French-Americans.
- P.G.T. Beauregard instead of Patrick Cleburne. Similar story - both fought against the Yankees during the War of Northern Aggression, and both were vocal advocates for the rights of black Americans. The main difference, though, is that General Cleburne died gloriously in battle, and General Beauregard could have won the war but chose not to. He drove the invaders out of Virginia, but stopped when he got to DC instead of swooping in for the victory. He was only interested in defending his homeland and had no desire to attack the enemy in kind. It sounds honorable on the surface, but I haven't made up my mind about it.
- Jean Lafitte instead of Edward Snowden. This one is kind of a stretch, but they both risked their necks for the American people. The main difference is that Jean Lafitte was evil. Piracy, smuggling, slave trading, helping Napoleon escape France, that sort of thing. If I didn't live an efficiency apartment with windows covering two walls and a kitchen covering the other, perhaps I'd make a wall of villains just for him.
- _______ instead of Solzhenitsyn. I have no idea who to put there. Maybe someone who got exiled to America after the French revolution, then wrote an expose?
- Christ will remain on the wall of heroes, despite his lowly, non-French American birth. But maybe I should find a Gothic-style icon instead of the Greek one I currently have.

Also, I could just leave the wall of heroes as it is. This isn't a decision to make hastily.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:53 pm

hector wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:47 pm There's the "long term" where 10 years from now you think "F. Those choices were not financially optimal."

And then there's the long term where, on your death bed, you think "F. That was a hell of a life.".

Don't know about the first, but for sure you're working toward the second.
Thankfully, my financial wants are relatively small - a floor-to-ceiling library with a slidey ladder, and an industrial kitchen. The awesome sounding choices I have to watch out for are the ones that end with prison sentences or illegitimate children. I just have to remember to think about whether the consequences are awesome.