Post by platypus » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:29 am

2/16/24 - dynamic effort lower
DE squat 295x4x5
DE deadlift 305x2x5
HKR 7.5x5x2
HBB GHR BWx3x3
Burpee BWx17 in 90sec

Reading:
- My history coursework has taken up the overwhelming majority of my reading time. I've only gotten a few chapters further into From Russia With Love. I've been to Istanbul and thoroughly enjoyed it, so it's fun to see Fleming's descriptions of the city and its inhabitants. Everything else has been class reading.

- In the middle of Beowulf (Chickering's translation), and it's very captivating. I don't remember being particularly enamored with it as a kid, but as an adult I find the story very compelling, particularly the view of fate that's presented. My favorite line so far is "Fate often saves an undoomed man when his courage holds." There's so much to unpack right there about the medieval Anglo Saxon worldview.

- Finished "On the Union and Peace of the Churches of Old and New Rome" by John Bekkos (Gilbert's translation). During a 13th century attempt at union between the Churches of Western Europe and and the Byzantine Empire, Bekkos was a Constantinopolitan priest and vocal anti-unionist. He ended up switching sides after becoming convinced that the Latins were not heretics, and wrote this treatise to defend the Latin's use of the phrase "the Holy Ghost, who proceeds from the Father and the Son" in the Nicene Creed, relying primarily on citations from heavy hitter Byzantine theologians like John Chrysostom, Athanasius the Great, and Cyril of Alexandria. He became patriarch of Constantinople, and ended up in jail for his pro-union stance.
It was pretty dry reading. It's historical interest lies in the fact that the theological resolvability of the schism didn't actually matter.

- Finished up the Life of St. Sergius, a very good medieval biography of a Russian saint who ran off into the wilderness, hung out with bears, raised people from the dead, learned to read by miracle, and other such saintly tasks.

platypus
mammal?

Re: platypus lifts/reads

Post by platypus » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:16 am

2/19/24 - Max effort upper
30° incline press 45x5
135x5
185x1
195x1
210x1
Chinup BWx8, x5@F, x3
Seated DB press 50x17RP
LTE 110x16RP

2/20/24 - not quite max effort lower
Deadlift 385x1x3
SSB squat 280x5@6
SSB squat 1ct pause 250x5@6
HBB GHR BWx4, x3x2
Burpee BWx25 in 2 mins

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Re: Platypus lifts/reads

Post by SeanHerbison » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:06 pm

platypus wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:29 amReading:
- My history coursework has taken up the overwhelming majority of my reading time.
It'll do that.

I'm not even that interested in most of the books you mention (don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely still read them if I could just figure out how to pause time, but they mostly don't break through my current backlog), but the fact that you're reading that much is cool. I'm aware people like Bill Gates exist, and he's obviously a mutant, but for the most part, I interact with almost no one who reads half as much as I do, and you may actually be reading more. It's cool to see that, like it's cool to see other people lifting.

I just finished Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela, and that was way better than I was expecting. It did make me feel like I'm very ignorant of history, which is somewhat disheartening but also obviously accurate, given it's the same thing I feel any time I read Chomsky.

hector

Post by hector » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:28 pm

platypus wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:29 am - Finished up the Life of St. Sergius, a very good medieval biography of a Russian saint who ran off into the wilderness, hung out with bears, raised people from the dead, learned to read by miracle, and other such saintly tasks.
Bracing myself to jump down this rabbit hole. Thank you.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:02 pm

2/22/24 - dynamic effort upper
DE bench 145x5x5
Press 150x3
135x3
Aussie pullup BWx5x3
DB hammer curl 25x8
Notes:
- After losing ground on chin-ups Monday and presses today, I’ve decided it’s time for a deload.
hector wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:28 pm
platypus wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:29 am - Finished up the Life of St. Sergius, a very good medieval biography of a Russian saint who ran off into the wilderness, hung out with bears, raised people from the dead, learned to read by miracle, and other such saintly tasks.
Bracing myself to jump down this rabbit hole. Thank you.
That’s awesome! I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on it.
SeanHerbison wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:06 pm
platypus wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:29 amReading:
- My history coursework has taken up the overwhelming majority of my reading time.
It'll do that.

I'm not even that interested in most of the books you mention (don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely still read them if I could just figure out how to pause time, but they mostly don't break through my current backlog), but the fact that you're reading that much is cool. I'm aware people like Bill Gates exist, and he's obviously a mutant, but for the most part, I interact with almost no one who reads half as much as I do, and you may actually be reading more. It's cool to see that, like it's cool to see other people lifting.

Thank you, I appreciate that!
SeanHerbison wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:06 pm I just finished Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela, and that was way better than I was expecting. It did make me feel like I'm very ignorant of history, which is somewhat disheartening but also obviously accurate, given it's the same thing I feel any time I read Chomsky.
I didn’t realize he’d written an autobiography, but I’ll bet it’s good.

The most frustrating thing about history for me is how impossible it is to master. Most of my study has been of medieval Christendom, and even there I only know a drop in the bucket. Everything I read is at the expense of something else, and there’s mountains of information that’s still inaccessible to me. Lots of manuscripts are being uploaded to the internet now, but even then the overwhelming majority of medieval writing – including really important things – is only available in manuscript form, with no modern typeset edition and no translation.

And so much is just tucked in a library somewhere, completely forgotten. As recently as the 1970s and 1990s, people where still discovering lost works of St. Augustine of Hippo! And in a world where his works get lost, there’s so many receipts, sermons, chronicles, works of all kinds just stuffed on a shelf somewhere and forgotten.

Then with modern history, the documents are often very accessible, but there are so many it’s absurd.

And then if you want to learn about more than one time and place… you need multiple lives.

DCR

Post by DCR » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:15 pm

platypus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:02 pm - After losing ground on chin-ups Monday and presses today, I’ve decided it’s time for a deload.
To be fair to you, those two are among the most finicky lifts.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:59 am

2/23/24 - dynamic effort lower
DE squat 250x5x5
DE deadlift 255x2x5
HKR 10x5x3
HBB GHR BWx4x2, x3
Burpee BWx22 in 2 mins
DCR wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:15 pm
platypus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:02 pm - After losing ground on chin-ups Monday and presses today, I’ve decided it’s time for a deload.
To be fair to you, those two are among the most finicky lifts.
That's a good point. It might be a better option to simply change lifts or rep ranges and see what happens since I'm still making progress on other things. I'm not certain to what extent conjugate training will reduce fatigue compared to what I was doing last year. It'll take some experimentation to figure it out.

The Westside literature suggests deloading somewhere between rarely and never.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:45 pm

platypus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:02 pm The most frustrating thing about history for me is how impossible it is to master. Most of my study has been of medieval Christendom, and even there I only know a drop in the bucket. Everything I read is at the expense of something else ...
And then if you want to learn about more than one time and place… you need multiple lives.
I know, right? I was thinking just this week that no matter how much I read and how well I absorb it, I'm perpetually going to be ignorant of essentially everything there is to know. Oh, I can now comprehend audiobooks at 4x speed? Good for me. Now maybe I'll learn 0.000000003% of the world's currently available knowledge instead of 0.000000001% Woo, progress! Not enough to keep up with what we've learned while I wrote this reply, but hey, progress!

To make matters worse, much of what I think I know has never been adequately challenged. The last podcast from Jordan/BBM made me realize I assumed I knew what resting between sets was primarily for (ATP recovery), but I don't have nearly the biological/chemical basis to be confident in that.
and there’s mountains of information that’s still inaccessible to me. Lots of manuscripts are being uploaded to the internet now, but even then the overwhelming majority of medieval writing – including really important things – is only available in manuscript form, with no modern typeset edition and no translation.

And so much is just tucked in a library somewhere, completely forgotten.
I suspect you'll appreciate this more than most, particularly the part starting around 4:15.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:03 pm

SeanHerbison wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:45 pm
I know, right? I was thinking just this week that no matter how much I read and how well I absorb it, I'm perpetually going to be ignorant of essentially everything there is to know. Oh, I can now comprehend audiobooks at 4x speed? Good for me. Now maybe I'll learn 0.000000003% of the world's currently available knowledge instead of 0.000000001% Woo, progress! Not enough to keep up with what we've learned while I wrote this reply, but hey, progress!
I think this was the idea behind the great books curriculum. Since you can't read everything, just read the most heavily cited works, starting with Homer and the Bible and working your way up the historical timeline. But even this, in 2024, leaves one with an inexhaustible task. Strange to think that when Christopher Marlowe wrote Dr. Faustus, it seemed within the realm of possibility for a scholar to master every discipline.
SeanHerbison wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:45 pm I suspect you'll appreciate this more than most, particularly the part starting around 4:15.

I thoroughly enjoyed it! Enough to accidentally burn my toast while watching.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:04 pm

2/26/24 - Max effort upper
TnG bench 215x1
225x1
240x1
Chinup 2.5x5x3
30° incline DB press 65x13RP
LTE 102.5x19RP

Notes:
- Lifetime bench PR. I normally do singles with a competition pause, so I don't have a lot of data to compare this to, but my best paused was 235lbs a few weeks ago.
- And to think that on Thursday I believed I needed a deload week.
- Down 3 holes on my lifting belt since the start of the year.

Reading:
- Finished Manon Lescaut by Abbé Prévost. A cautionary tale in French about where being an idiot for love will get you. Good book, would read again.
- Finished Antifragile by Nassim Taleb, having read it only during downtime at work for a couple months, and restarted The Black Swan by the same author as my next work read.
- Started Tradition and Apocalypse by David Bentley Hart. He is in some ways insufferable, but also one of the only interesting theological writers alive today that I have encountered. So far, the book seems to be a response to John Henry Newman's Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine, one I read in December and was rather disappointed by.
- Finished From Russia With Love and, because it ended with a cliffhanger, began on Dr. No.
- Read Judith from the Knox translation and Hosea from the KJV. I've not used the Knox bible much, but I was struck by the rich use of Anglo Saxon vocabulary. I also tried to read his version of Hosea, but gave up after "cult-harlots" was rendered as "consecrated minions" as if this is supposed to pack the punch intended by the Hebrew author.
- Started a Greek translation of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. I don't know Greek, so it's very slow going.

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:41 pm

platypus wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:04 pm - Lifetime bench PR. I normally do singles with a competition pause, so I don't have a lot of data to compare this to, but my best paused was 235lbs a few weeks ago.
- And to think that on Thursday I believed I needed a deload week.
To make the first and third of those happen simultaneously is the fucking dream.

Also fuck a bunch of deloading. If I feel like shit - really like shit - I skip a session, or two. I’ve never understood the concept of a week of junk volume to refresh. Then again I suck at powerlifting so what do I know.

hector

Post by hector » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:49 pm

What did you think of Antifragile?

Taleb used to be one of my favorite writers.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:40 am

DCR wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:41 pm Also fuck a bunch of deloading. If I feel like shit - really like shit - I skip a session, or two. I’ve never understood the concept of a week of junk volume to refresh. Then again I suck at powerlifting so what do I know.
I think there's something to that - last year, I had two meets 6 weeks apart (idiotic, I realize). Normally, I would take a week off after a meet, but with only 6 weeks to prepare I decided to just plow through it (even more idiotic). Then, a month out from my second meet, I was starting to lose appetite, not sleep well, and I had a grindy failure with my squat warmup weights. I was very concerned that I would not be able to dig myself out of the pit in time. I skipped the next two workouts, ended up feeling fine, and went right back to training as usual.
hector wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:49 pm What did you think of Antifragile?

Taleb used to be one of my favorite writers.
It’s one of only a handful of books that’s had a direct positive impact on my life, across several domains.
Relevant at the moment, my first attempt at conjugate/concurrent training was mostly due to noticing its antifragile nature. That, and a little push from Jamie Lewis in the direction of trying things that people insist are bad ideas.

What did you think of Antifragile?

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:42 am

2/27/24 - max effort lower
Blue band high bar squat 275x1
315x1
365xF
#2 rack pull 335x8
HBB GHR BWx2 wrong setting
BWx5
Double KB front squat 44x15 in 2 mins
Notes:
- My training partner squatted 315x5 today for the first time, I’m very happy for him.
- Recently, giving my girlfriend a piggy back ride up a hill, I realized I need to do something heavier than burpees for conditioning. The kettlebell front squats were kind of annoying and unwieldy, which makes me not want to do them again, though perhaps that means they're the sort of thing I should keep doing.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:26 am

platypus wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:03 pm I thoroughly enjoyed it! Enough to accidentally burn my toast while watching.
Glad you liked it. Sorry about your toast.
platypus wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:04 pm
TnG bench 215x1
225x1
240x1

Notes:
- Lifetime bench PR.
Hell yeah.
- Finished Antifragile by Nassim Taleb, having read it only during downtime at work for a couple months, and restarted The Black Swan by the same author as my next work read.
I see Taleb as similar to Freud. Undoubtedly smart, and he has a solid idea, but he way overapplies it. Everything is seen through the lens of rare, disproportionately impactful events, with little to no intellectual humility.
platypus wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:40 amI think there's something to that - last year, I had two meets 6 weeks apart (idiotic, I realize).
Meh. I've done back to back meet days, and Bryce Krawczyk did both raw and single-ply Canadian National Championships on the same day once. There are dumber things to do.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:11 am

Interesting. I've always had a tendency to go against the grain of logic and it's served me well in large part. Antifragile was one I had meant to check out at one point but forgot about. It's back on the list now. ;)

I did Conjugate style training for 2 years and it was the time I saw the best progress.

Congrats on the Bench PR!

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:27 am

SeanHerbison wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:26 am Hell yeah.
Clearwater47 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:11 am Congrats on the Bench PR!
Thanks!

SeanHerbison wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:26 am I see Taleb as similar to Freud. Undoubtedly smart, and he has a solid idea, but he way overapplies it. Everything is seen through the lens of rare, disproportionately impactful events, with little to no intellectual humility.
I've unfortunately read no Freud, though I can see where you're coming from about the intellectual humility. For now, I'm still getting something new out of Taleb each time I read him. We'll see how long that streak continues.
SeanHerbison wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:26 am Meh. I've done back to back meet days, and Bryce Krawczyk did both raw and single-ply Canadian National Championships on the same day once. There are dumber things to do.
Holy hell, that's a perspective changer! How did competing back to back days affect your numbers?
Clearwater47 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:11 am Interesting. I've always had a tendency to go against the grain of logic and it's served me well in large part. Antifragile was one I had meant to check out at one point but forgot about. It's back on the list now. ;)

I did Conjugate style training for 2 years and it was the time I saw the best progress.
Nice! I'm curious: did you do your max effort work in a planned rotation, and if so about how many variants did you rotate through?

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:28 am

2/29/24 - dynamic effort upper
DE bench 155x5x5
Press 135x6@F
135x7@10
Aussie pullup BWx12, x6, x5
EZ curl 70x11RP

Notes:
- Did my dynamic effort benching touch and go this time instead of paused. This seemed to be very good for my speed.
- Mediocre day for presses again. I think probably the calorie restriction has something to do with it: I'm kind of gassed after one main exercise. However, there's definitely a mental component here, since I got more reps on the second set after failing on the first. My left trap started aching uncomfortably after the second set, too. I probably should just let sleeping dogs lie and switch it out with seated presses for a few weeks.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:08 am

platypus wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:27 amNice! I'm curious: did you do your max effort work in a planned rotation, and if so about how many variants did you rotate through?
Yes, pretty much always planned them ahead of time. I would choose 3 variants of each lift and cycle through them over a 6 week period.

Bench Example:
Weeks 1 & 4: Competition Bench Press
Weeks 2 & 5: Feet up Bench
Weeks 3 & 6: Pin Bench

I did the same thing over a longer period of time, using 6 exercises and stretching them over a 12-week period (Comp Bench on Weeks 1 & 7), but found that I didn't need that many weeks between and so I preferred the shorter rotation. I'd only planned six weeks at a time, but sometime I felt like I still had room to progress on a specific lift and would keep it in for longer than 6 weeks. I rarely dropped the competition lifts out for more than 6 weeks at a time because often this was the only exposure I had to them.

I see that you do your dynamic work for sets of 5. What kind of % of 1RM's do you end up using for those. I played around with this for a while but never got it dialed in to my liking - always seemed to end up struggling to maintain good bar speed for all of the reps when doing 5's, and ended up reverting to 3 reps or less. It's one of things where I liked the idea of working with a slightly heavier weight but it never worked right, so I'm curious about how that's working for you.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:31 pm

platypus wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:27 amHoly hell, that's a perspective changer! How did competing back to back days affect your numbers?
Noticeably. 32.5 kg lower the second day. Weighed in 1 kg lighter.

Day 1: 2015 Military Nationals
Squat: 222.5/240/250 (miss)
Bench: 140/150/160 (miss)
Deadlift: 247.5/262.5/272.5 (miss)

Day 2: Orlando Open
Squat: 227.5/235 (miss)/pass
Bench: 142.5/152.5/160 (miss)
Deadlift: 220/240/pass

It was fun though.