Thoughts on high frequency deadlifting?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Re: Thoughts on high frequency deadlifting?

Post by Hanley » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:46 pm

cz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:03 pm (10 sets of 6 @65% and 8 sets of 4 @75%)
Goddamn beautiful sessions.

cz

Post by cz » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:45 pm

Hanley wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:46 pm
cz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:03 pm (10 sets of 6 @65% and 8 sets of 4 @75%)
Goddamn beautiful sessions.
Add 6 sets of 2 @85% for a third session and you end up with a nice weekly cycle. H-values are 490/512/533. Though I would start out with less sets and slowly adjust the volume upwards based on recovery.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:55 pm

cz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:45 pmnice weekly cycle
Or a 9 day cycle:

ON off off ON off off ON off off

Training Waltz

cz

Post by cz » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:03 pm

Hanley wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:55 pm
Or a 9 day cycle:

Training Waltz
I don't know what the OP considers to be high frequency. I simply assumed that he meant at least three times per week. If so, even 6x6/5x4/4x2 might be enough. That's still a weekly H-value of 970, which isn't little for the deadlift. But then he will miss out on the 76.9% increase in 1RM :lol:

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:39 am

Or a 9 day cycle:

Training Waltz
The perfect one week training plan.

EricK
Marine Mammal

Post by EricK » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:14 am

Or a 9 day cycle:

Training Waltz
How to get your deadlift up to 800 in 9 days.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:44 pm

cz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:12 am Take a look at this study. The participants trained SBD three days per week with high volume and increased their deadlift maxes over a 16 week period on average by 76.9%. The results might be fabricated because they sound too good to be true, but I know of some lifters who tried the protocol and while they didn't match the inconceivable results from the study, they still made some pretty good gains.
Is this study a parody or it's a serious study ? I mean did the reviewers even lift ?

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:48 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:44 pm
cz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:12 am Take a look at this study. The participants trained SBD three days per week with high volume and increased their deadlift maxes over a 16 week period on average by 76.9%. The results might be fabricated because they sound too good to be true, but I know of some lifters who tried the protocol and while they didn't match the inconceivable results from the study, they still made some pretty good gains.
Is this study a parody or it's a serious study ? I mean did the reviewers even lift ?
Unfortunately I think it's perfectly serious.

This is my personal issue with studies. The concept might be great, the method excellent and the execution of the study in terms of analysis beyond reproach; yet they almost always seem to end up using populations who either don't train at all or who train but aren't very good.

I read the study, and I got all enthusiastic when I read he words elite athletes. Then I got down to the part where they listed the weights these elite athletes were lifting.

No #$%@ing wonder these people put these massive amounts on their lifts, there was almost nowhere to go but up.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:38 am

MarkKO wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:48 am
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:44 pm
Unfortunately I think it's perfectly serious.

This is my personal issue with studies. The concept might be great, the method excellent and the execution of the study in terms of analysis beyond reproach; yet they almost always seem to end up using populations who either don't train at all or who train but aren't very good.

I read the study, and I got all enthusiastic when I read he words elite athletes. Then I got down to the part where they listed the weights these elite athletes were lifting.

No #$%@ing wonder these people put these massive amounts on their lifts, there was almost nowhere to go but up.
This study consisted of 9 Brazilian male elite athletes (mean ± SD: age, 34 ± 5 yrs; height, 175.2 ± 7.8 cm; body mass, 94.4± 16.7 kg, and experience in powerlifing, 7 ± 3 yrs). The classification proposed by Breuchue et al. (5) was used to select athletes among the body mass categories: 1 lightweight division (-67 kg) athlete; 6 athletes between 70-100 kg; and 2 athletes over 100 kg
I think there's a language issue going on here. In their method section they are very clear these are elite athletes who have experience in powerlifting. I'm going to guess what this really means is they found 200lbs 34 year old former semi-pro soccer/MMA/BJJ guys and asked them "how long have you SBD'd?". Then they smoosh the terms together and say "elite powerlifters", despite proclaiming:
Yet, it is important to point out that our results are still far below those presented by world-class
athletes. According to Cleather (7), the average strength of powerlifting athletes for all categories
of body mass in international (1995-2004) competitions was 312 ± 57 kg for the squat, 41 ± 20 kg
for the bench press, and 302 ± 46 kg for the deadlift. The low gains in the strength of powerlifting
athletes at national level compared to the data mentioned by Cleather (7) may be explained by the
variation or periodization training.
Nonetheless, more research is needed to better understand the effects of wave periodization and
RT and why it appears to be more beneficial than linear periodization in powerlifting athletes.
Lastly, other factors may be responsible for the low performance by the Brazilian athletes analyzed
in this study (i.e., when compared to their international peers). The lack of professionalization of
this sport as well as socioeconomic aspects of athletes and lack of technical training might be
among the main reasons that could explain the scores.
Which makes me think something specific was missed in the description. Are these former BJJ people saying they are powerlifters b/c they failed out of BJJ? Something odd is going on here.

Especially since they added 100 lbs on squat, 220 lbs on deadlift and 70lbs on bench. This is about in line with what I would expect if you took a gym bro/semi-serious athlete that's probably done a lot of bodyweight stuff, lots of bro machines/some squats and never deadlifted and ran them through 16 weeks of consistent SBD training.

CaptainAwesome

Post by CaptainAwesome » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:57 am

5hout wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:38 am Especially since they added 100 lbs on squat, 220 lbs on deadlift and 70lbs on bench. This is about in line with what I would expect if you took a gym bro/semi-serious athlete that's probably done a lot of bodyweight stuff, lots of bro machines/some squats and never deadlifted and ran them through 16 weeks of consistent SBD training.
This is just about the ONLY scenario where these results make sense, outside of drug use. Even a rank novice probably isn't going to get that kind of a gain on the deadlift in 4 months unless he's had some kind of prior exposure to lifting and just no specific experience training the deadlift.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:55 am

Oh there's another scenario in which all of that stuff makes sense ...