The Flywheel Effect

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Clearwater47

March 24, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:36 pm

Hatfield Squat: Goal = 4-6 reps
260 pounds x 6 reps
Felt a twinge of discomfort in my knee again today. I twist my feet into the floor to activate the appropriate muscles and when I did this I felt some pain on the outside portion of my right knee. I lightened up tension a bit and it was fine.

SSB Calf Raise: Goal = 15-20 reps
155 pounds x 18/16 reps

Stiff Legged Deadlift: Goal = 6-8 reps
325 pounds x 6 reps
Kind of regret not going for more than 6 reps, but I was losing tightness in my lower back. Still was a 1 rep improvement over last time.

Skiers: Rest Pause Goal = 17-21 reps
20lb DB's - 2 sets x 12 reps
Didn't do rest pause on this because it was apparent during the 1st set that the weight was too light. Still was within a few reps of failure on the second set. Should be in the right rep range next time.

Here's video of the squats and deads:
Last edited by Clearwater47 on Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearwater47

March 26, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:45 pm

Incline DB Press: Rest Pause Goal = 17-21 reps
50's x 18 reps (14/4)
I've gained 1 rep each of the last 2 times. I probably would've had at least one more rep on the second set but I mis-grooved the first rep and had to redo it. Still got somewhat close on the fifth rep. I'll take it.

High Pull: Rest Pause Goal = 13-17 reps
95 pounds x 15 reps (10/5)
Felt less dialed in then last time, and that's saying something since last time was the first time ever doing it, lmao. I'll try to remember to watch a good demo video of it before doing it next time around since that a lot of times seems to help me get mentally focused on the movement. Still wasn't bad though.

Single Arm French Press: Rest Pause Goal = 17-21 reps
22.5lb DB's x 16 reps (10/6)
An extra 2.5 pounds per side resulted in a loss of 8 reps. I probably could've squeezed out another rep (maybe 2) on each set, but I had some discomfort in my left shoulder today (felt like it was in the collar bone?) and I was feeling it here in a way I didn't like so I didn't go to total failure.

Leaning Lateral Raise: Rest Pause Goal = 13-17 reps
Left Arm = 12.5lb DB's x 22 reps (15/7)
Right Arm = 12.5lb DB's x 25 reps (15/10)
The should thing probably impacted this as well, but it's mostly just that my right side is much stronger on this exercise (I still left several reps in the tank on the right arm).

Overall not a bad session. Hoping whatever is going on with the left shoulder sorts itself out before tomorrow's workout. I seem to have acclimated pretty quickly to the the programming because I've had virtually no DOMS for the last week or so. Been giving some serious thought to eliminating a rest day and just doing 3 on, 1 off. I'll see how I'm feeling over the next couple of days and go from there.

Bolder

Re: The Flywheel Effect

Post by Bolder » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:46 am

If it ever gets really bad.

Maybe give this ago:

Monday: Push
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: Pull
Thursday: Off
Friday: Legs
Saturday: Off
Sunday: Repeat

I am thinking of doing this in the future as well (if I ever get plagued with too many injuries...). The tendons IIRC tends to take a lot longer to heal than the muscles.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:23 am

Bolder wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:46 am If it ever gets really bad.

Maybe give this ago:

Monday: Push
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: Pull
Thursday: Off
Friday: Legs
Saturday: Off
Sunday: Repeat

I am thinking of doing this in the future as well (if I ever get plagued with too many injuries...). The tendons IIRC tends to take a lot longer to heal than the muscles.
Yeah, thanks for the recommendation. I definitely will consider that if it starts trending in a bad direction. I've seemingly been doing a good job of managing it for the last 6-9 months, and am going to continue to monitor closely and err towards the conservative side. Definitely don't want to be dealing with the pain I was during the 2 years prior to that...

Clearwater47

March 27, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:23 pm

Deadlift: Goal = 4-6 reps
365 pounds x 6 reps
Wanted to stop after 4 reps but didn't. Last rep felt like there was a fair amount of bend in my upper back. Sometimes it feels like that and I watch the video back and can't even see it. Unfortunately, my little boy decided he needed to be on camera after the first rep, completely covered the screen during the second rep, then stopped recording, lol. Anyway, I was really happy to have gotten 6 reps, but would like to tighten up the form next time.

Pullup: Rest Pause Goal = 13-17 reps
BW x 11 reps (6/3/2)
A couple fewer reps than last time, but I did them at a dead hang and a slight pause at the bottom, which I hadn't been doing recently.

Shrug Curl: Rest Pause Goal = 13-17 reps
25lb DB's x 27 reps (16/9)
This was with 5lbs more per DB than last time and I ended up with 9 more reps. Not sure how that happened. Definitely kept form tight throughout.

Reverse Cable Curl: Rest Pause Goal = 17-21 reps
25 pounds x 17 reps (10/7")
May have had another rep or two here but stopped because my wrist felt like it was going to snap. If anyone has tips on how to do these without putting much stress on the wrists then I'm all ears. I broke my wrist when I was a kid and it never quite returned to 100% after that. It's not something that affects me in day to day life, but every once in a while I get a reminder that it's not quite as strong as I like to think it is.

Clearwater47

April 1, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:07 pm

Missed a couple days but there was just no way I was getting a lift in this weekend. Held a birthday party at our house for my significant other on Saturday. We had about 50 people over and it was a long day of prep and a long night. Then went to my aunts for Easter on Sunday. Good weekend overall, but very little free time. Felt good to get back into it today.

Walking Lunge: Goal = 2 sets of 8-12 reps
22.5lb DB's - 2 sets x 12 reps
Last few reps on each set got pretty rough. I expect these will be pretty brutal from here on out.

Rear Delt Flies: Rest Pause Goal = 17-21 reps
22.5lb DB's x 21 reps (13/8)

Cable Single Leg Curl: Rest Pause Goal = 13-17 reps
Left: 40 pounds x 22 reps (14/8)
Right: 40 pounds x 29 reps (20/11)
Love this exercise so much. It does a better job of isolating my hamstrings than anything else. It's basically a standing single leg curl, but it somehow hits different (and better) than the machine versions I've used. Definitely not a perfect setup though, and I can imagine it not working great once the weight gets heavy enough because of how much pressure it puts on the knees, but I'll be enjoying it for a while before I need to worry about that.

Donkey Calf Raise (Cable): Goal = 2 sets of 15-20 reps
95 pounds - 2 sets x 20 reps
Found a much better way to do these. I had been stacking bumper plates and standing on them, but it meant my center of gravity was a ways behind the cable, which obviously messes with the resistance curve. After completing the first set today I realized that the low row foot plate has a flat edge on top of it that I can stand on. Worked fabulously. I'll definitely continue using that instead of the weight plates.

Clearwater47

April 3, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:49 pm

Bench Press: Rest Pause Goal = 9-13 reps
145 pounds x 13 reps (9/4)
Really happy with the benching today. The higher touch point I started using last time feels infinitely better and more consistent. Bar path is hugely improved. May have had 1 more rep on each set, but certainly not more than that.

Overhead Press: Rest Pause Goal = 13-17 reps
80 pounds x 18 reps (12/6)

Close Grip Pin Bench Press: Rest Pause Goal = 17-21 reps
105 pounds x 25 reps (10/15)
Well this was a weird one... Changed from a regular close grip to a pin press. I've done this in the past and felt like I benefited from it. It puts focus more on triceps than chest, which is what I want in this spot, so the change just made sense. Did the first set with my thumbs on the smooth and started getting elbow discomfort at about rep 6 and stopped after 10. Widened grip a little on the second set and this felt much better - I was able to really push it and had no elbow discomfort. I didn't realize until I was unloading the plates that I had used the wrong weight. That explains why I way overshot my rep goal, lol. Still got in some good work though.

Bulldozer Lateral Raise: Rest Pause Goal = 13-17 reps
Left Arm: 22.5 pounds x 30 reps (20/10)
Right Arm: 22.5 pounds x 30 reps (20/10)
Did quite a few reps more than last time even though I had increased the weight. I'll chalk it up to being more comfortable with the lift. Going to continue with small weight increases.

For a while now I've been wanting to get back into doing cardio more regularly (which wouldn't take much since I'm not doing a darn thing right now, lmao). I've tried using our treadmill a few times recently but just do not feel comfortable on it - the belt was slipping and I almost fell a few times. I used to really enjoy riding an exercise bike, so have been looking at those on Amazon for the last couple of weeks. Haven't found anything I feel confident in. I stopped by a a place I know of that sells used equipment near where I work and it just so happens that they've gotten a crap load of bikes in over the last couple of weeks. Just took some pictures and notes of ones I was interested in and then did some research on them when I got home. Think I settled on one that I like, so I'll try to stop by the store again within the next couple of days and let them know I want it (hopefully before someone else snags it). They're somewhat flexible on price, and they'll deliver it for $100 too, which will be nice since there's no way I'm fitting it my little Corolla. Looking forward to getting back into better cardio shape.

Here's video of my first Bench set today:

FilmBuff

Post by FilmBuff » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:00 pm

Looking good. Glad to see you’re still trucking along.

Clearwater47

April 4, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:07 pm

Seated Cable Row: Rest Pause Goal = 17-21 reps
115 pounds x 25 reps (18/7)
Same number of reps as last time. I'll add 5 pounds again next time.
I'm thinking I must have done something incorrectly on the rear delt flies I did 3 days ago because I had very little rear delt soreness, but ended up with serious DOMS in the middle of my upper back. I was really feeling that when doing these rows today.

Hammer Curl: Rest Pause Goal = 17-21 reps
32.5lb DB's x 21 reps (15/6)
I've always done these alternating. Did both arms simultaneously today and really like it. I'll continue doing them this way.

Lat Pulldown - Wide MAG: Rest Pause Goal = 13-17 reps
100 Pounds x 18 reps (13/5)
The 3 year old jumped on my back for the last few reps. Then after I was done he was asking for the attachment so I disconnected it and held it out for him. Then he was pointing back up to where it connects, telling me to reconnect it. Seemed like he wanted to hang on it. I dropped it down to about 40 pounds so I could easily pull it down for him to grab on to. I pulled it down for him and he started trying to pull it down to his chest, lmao! I helped him do like 5 reps. On each rep as it touched his chest he let out a grunt. I was laughing my ass off. So freaking cute! I REALLY wish I had gotten this on video. Highlight of the workout for sure.

EZ Bar Cable Curl: Rest Pause Goal = 13-17 reps
32.5 pounds x 19 reps (14/5)
Very happy to say that I'm still not getting even a hint of elbow issues from doing these. It's awesome to be able to do more than just hammer curls for biceps. It should pay off over time.

Ended up going back and buying one of the exercise bikes I looked at yesterday. Well, kind of... Their internet was down and they were unable to take payment, but they marked it as sold and set it aside for me. I'll go back either tomorrow or Saturday to pay, and then see if I can fit it in my car. Really hoping I can make that happen because if they need to deliver it will be another $150 due to the fact that I live quite a ways away from the store. They let me test out the bike and I was really happy with it. Seat is comfortable. It has enough basic programs to suit my needs, and the resistance is quite good. Everything felt great. It's a commercial tier bike that must have originally cost around $5k and it's definitely seen it's fair share of use but should still last a LONG time. Could have snagged a newer Life Fitness bike for another $400, but the one I'm getting has everything I want already so there was no need.

I also reached out to Deltech Fitness regarding their Leg Press/Hack Squat Machine. I pinpointed this one as the best option for me quite a while back. Held off on it for a while because I didn't have the space or the money. As soon as I moved into the new house I knew I wanted to get it. It's now been unavailable for quite a while as they're making some updates to it. They told me the new model is in transit ot their facility and will be available in around 4-5 weeks. Hoping I'll still have the money to make that purchase when it comes available again. After that I'm still wanting the GHR/Reverse Hyper combo from Bells of Steel, a Smith Machine option (currently eyeing up the VTS from Bulletproof Fitness), and a pulley system for the front uprights on my rack (this is an addon option along with the VTS as well, so that may be a good fit). But after the Leg Press/Hack Squat it will probably be quite a while before I make any of these other purchases. Also saw the Rep/Pepin Adjustable DB's. I'm going to have a hard time not getting those at some point, lol. Could probably sell my Powerblocks to cover a good portion of the cost, but this won't happen anytime soon either. My name is Clearwater47 and I'm an equipmentaholic... Probably should've started out with that, lmao!

SaviorSelf

Post by SaviorSelf » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:00 pm

Exercise bike sounds like a great purchase, exercise equipment has always been good money spent IMO. Good luck on getting it home though, that's a different struggle lol

Do you do any kind of maintenance on equipment (oiling chains/pulleys etc)?

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:19 pm

SaviorSelf wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:00 pm Do you do any kind of maintenance on equipment (oiling chains/pulleys etc)?
Not really. I bought an exercise bike around 15 years ago and got rid of it due to space limitations 7 or 8 years ago. Never did any preventative maintenance on it and never had a single issue with that bike. Really wish had I just kept it, but that ship has sailed.

Clearwater47

April 5, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:31 pm

High Bar Squat: Goal = 2 sets of 4-6 reps
190 pounds - 2 sets x 6 reps
Did first set with a medium/wide stance and it didn't feel quite right. Feet didn't feel set right and it felt like my knees were going every which way. This was my first time wearing squat shoes in maybe a year or more, so that may have had something to do with it. I ended up narrowing my stance quite a bit on the second set and felt much better. Video below.

Face Pull: Goal = 2 sets of 17-21 reps
25 pounds - 2 sets x 20 reps
Far above my rep goal but I'll continue with 5 pound increases.

Donkey Calf Raise (Cable): Goal = 2 sets of 15-20 reps
100 pounds - 2 sets x 20 reps

Lying Leg Curl: Rest Pause Goal = 13-17 reps
115 pounds x 14 reps (7/3)
4 fewer reps than last time with the same weight. Not sure why but not too concerned about it.

DCR

Re: April 5, 2024

Post by DCR » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:07 pm

Clearwater47 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:31 pm High Bar Squat: Goal = 2 sets of 4-6 reps
Did first set with a medium/wide stance and it didn't feel quite right. Feet didn't feel set right and it felt like my knees were going every which way. This was my first time wearing squat shoes in maybe a year or more, so that may have had something to do with it. I ended up narrowing my stance quite a bit on the second set and felt much better. Video below.
Yup, looks like the narrower stance is your jam. I have the same issue with a wide stance - zero stability in my knees.

Clearwater47

Re: April 5, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:57 am

DCR wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:07 pm
Clearwater47 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:31 pm High Bar Squat: Goal = 2 sets of 4-6 reps
Yup, looks like the narrower stance is your jam. I have the same issue with a wide stance - zero stability in my knees.
I don't think my knee stability is usually that bad, but I've almost always recorded video from the side where that's harder to see. So now I'm wondering if I've been doing that all along and just didn't realize...
I've always felt stronger with a narrow stance, but felt like I was losing too much range of motion. The ROM actually looked very comparable in that last session though - not bad at all.

FilmBuff

Post by FilmBuff » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:56 pm

Squats looked really smooth.

Since you like squatting in jeans slacks you should get some jeans from Raskol apparel. They’re designed for lifting and nice and stretchy.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:43 pm

FilmBuff wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:56 pm Squats looked really smooth.

Since you like squatting in jeans slacks you should get some jeans from Raskol apparel. They’re designed for lifting and nice and stretchy.
I've thought about getting some jeans for lifting. I think "Barbell Apparel"? also them - I've seen their advertisements on Bromley's channel a bunch of times.

SaviorSelf

Post by SaviorSelf » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:50 pm

My .02c, I always felt a little stronger and more comfortable with a narrower squat stance. You can get a little help from your calves running into your hamstrings and your belly running into your thighs. Especially if you can get the hang of the "divebomb" form. But maybe feels like it targets your quads too much at the expense of other musculature, but could be due to my anatomy

+1 on blue jeans with a little spandex in them

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:54 pm

SaviorSelf wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:50 pm My .02c, I always felt a little stronger and more comfortable with a narrower squat stance. You can get a little help from your calves running into your hamstrings and your belly running into your thighs. Especially if you can get the hang of the "divebomb" form. But maybe feels like it targets your quads too much at the expense of other musculature, but could be due to my anatomy

+1 on blue jeans with a little spandex in them
I know we're going in opposite directions on the squat (both kind of moving against our 'natural' movement pattern) as we try to build up our personal weaknesses. My normal movement utilizes my lower back quite a bit (even with high bar or SSB) and I WANT more quads in my squat, so that would definitely be a positive for me. ;)

FilmBuff

Post by FilmBuff » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:08 pm

Clearwater47 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:43 pm
FilmBuff wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:56 pm Squats looked really smooth.

I've thought about getting some jeans for lifting. I think "Barbell Apparel"? also them - I've seen their advertisements on Bromley's channel a bunch of times.
I’m sure they could be good.

I just have Raskol shirts and some other training pants so their quality is solid. I can’t comment on the barbell apparel stuff. But I’d assume they’re decent

Clearwater47

April 7, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:50 pm

Fly Press: Rest Pause Goal = 13-17 reps
32.5lb DB's x 25 reps (18/7)
2 more reps than last time with more weight. Maybe I didn't go as wide as last time? Either way the movement felt good today. Great stretch but not so wide or deep that I felt I might break something.

Behind the Neck Press: Rest Pause Goal = 17-21 reps
55 pounds x 21 reps (14/7)
finally had to really push to get these reps. Didn't leave anything on the table today.

Cable Overhead Triceps Extension: Rest Pause Goal = 17-21 reps
25 pounds x 15 reps (10/5)
This one has been getting more difficult each week. I'm sure it's because the previous exercises are fatiguing me more. Even though I'm below my target rep range I'll probably keep the same weight next time and see if I can add reps.

6-Ways: Rest Pause Goal = 2 sets x 6-8 reps
10lb DB's - 2 sets x 6 reps
Took everything I had to get through these today. They're a great finisher for the shoulders, and overall I'm really liking this as a shoulder focused push day.

Also got my new used exercise bike delivered yesterday. The only thing it's missing that I want is some straps on the pedals. I ordered some for 20 bucks that I think should work. Even without them it worked just fine today though - I used it for my warmup. It's super smooth and will be a great way for me to do warmups on lifting days, and to get in some cardio on off days.