Guns and Shit

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

unruhschuh
Männlicher Photoshop-Experte

Re: Guns and Shit

Post by unruhschuh » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:03 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:36 pm What's wrong, bro? A little gun talk make you uncomfortable?
Which movie is this from?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:36 am

perman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:31 pm I feel like such a Eurofag whenever I read Americans talk about guns. It's like being exposed to a culture I'm only aware exists, but have no familiarity with...
It’s just another manifestation of American Consumer Whoreism.

Note all the talk is about guns. Not shooting technique or shooting competitions or range-time.

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:04 am

Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:36 am
perman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:31 pm I feel like such a Eurofag whenever I read Americans talk about guns. It's like being exposed to a culture I'm only aware exists, but have no familiarity with...

Note all the talk is about guns. Not shooting technique or shooting competitions or range-time.
Shooting technique would be something to talk about, since many people like myself learned technique from other hunters as a kid. I am pretty accurate, but I am sure I could be way better. Range time aka going outside and shooting when you live in rural areas is sort of a given around here. But I could see that being an issue for people who live in larger cities for sure.

I am not a big gun guy, but I do like to go shooting. I own 4 guns (2 handguns- one being my conceal carry, a shotgun and a rifle), and don't purchase new guns all that often. I am not a big hunter either, even though I did it as a kid.

cwd

Post by cwd » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:14 am

Most American gun enthusiasts spend far more time talking about and shopping for guns than they do practicing with them. I think I read that the average civilian-owned gun sees less than 500 rounds fired in its lifetime.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:34 am

aurelius wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:34 amWhich movie is this from?
Spring Break? I think.

Movie is pretty experimental in that is is like a long shot music video. Despite that, James Franco's turn as a Floridian Hood Rat is pretty convincing.
Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:36 amIt’s just another manifestation of American Consumer Whoreism.

This is true. It is mainly a collector's hobby with varying degrees of activity.

I find shooting competitions more boring than lifting competitions.
Last edited by aurelius on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:39 am

aurelius wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:34 am

I find shooting competitions more boring than lifting competitions.
Top Shot was a fun to watch though..

cwd

Post by cwd » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:50 am

Re: rounds per lifetime, a lot of words are spent on gun forums talking about handgun durability (a big bragging point for Glock originally).

I once calculated the cost of the ammunition required to wear out a handgun, it is on the order of 10x the cost of the gun.
Yet most gun nerds spend 10x as much on guns as on ammo. They just don't shoot much.

strega

Post by strega » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:53 am

Along those lines, anyone have experience with a Kel Tec P-11? At 5.6 inches would make a good deep concealment gun.

Building a list for a new pocket gun, as of right now KOTJ's recommendation of the XD's is the front-runner.
DOA based on malfunction/issues Walther CCP, Beretta Pico & Nano

topfen

Post by topfen » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:10 am

aurelius wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:34 am I find shooting competitions more boring than lifting competitions.
Are those 2-, 3-gun competitions boring as well? I did a bunch of 3 position small calibre and full power rifle comps with my grandfather and that is boring as hell. Takes about 1 hour per shooter for small calibre matches and 2 hours per shooter for full power matches and there is nothing exciting to watch and most people were 50+ :|

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:38 am

@strega, regarding the Kel tec p 11.

Pretty sure that's what I felt at the shop over the weekend. Not a fan of the really long trigger pull.

The Sig P238 is something I've been eyeing for a while.
If you don't want 380acp, I'd suggest taking a look at the SW Shield. For a bit more, the Sign P938 gets great reviews, but I have no experience (inexperienced all around pretty much, just lots of research).

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:41 am

KOTJ wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:38 am @strega, regarding the Kel tec p 11.

Pretty sure that's what I felt at the shop over the weekend. Not a fan of the really long trigger pull.

If you don't want 380acp, I'd suggest taking a look at the SW Shield. For a bit more, the Sign P938 gets great reviews, but I have no experience (inexperienced all around pretty much, just lots of research).
^ Bro doesn't even shoot.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:48 am

KOTJ wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:38 amThe Sig P238 is something I've been eyeing for a while.
My 2 cents, P238 is a great concealed carry gun. Had one. Regret that I sold it for a 9mm concealed carry. That I then sold. I have yet to shoot a 9mm concealed carry that was pleasant to shoot.

strega

Post by strega » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:55 am

Long trigger pull? I'll have to look for that if I get a chance to handle one. The Sig P238 is for sure the right size at 5.5 inches. My daily carry is 642 J Frame, it's bulky and 6.3 inches. I'm really leaning towards picking up a 9MM that's 10 rounds+, primarily because I don't own anything like that. I've handled the Bodyguard but not the Shield. I'm sort of leaning away from SW just because of what I own. I want to expand my brands which is mostly Ruger/SW and older stuff.

Circling back to the Sig, I don't know much about deep carry and 1911's so I need to do some reading to see if it would be a good fit.

Thanks for the suggestions.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:56 am

Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:41 am

^ Bro doesn't even shoot.
I've started my dry firing regimen this past week. In fact, I skipped the range because I did not dry fire sufficiently the prior week. Gotta earn the fun.

Hanley is just butthurt that his Coast Guard experience didn't make him Paul Harrell.

The best firearm channel on YouTube.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:03 am

strega wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:55 am

Long trigger pull? I'll have to look for that if I get a chance to handle one. The Sig P238 is for sure the right size at 5.5 inches. My daily carry is 642 J Frame, it's bulky and 6.3 inches. I'm really leaning towards picking up a 9MM that's 10 rounds+, primarily because I don't own anything like that. I've handled the Bodyguard but not the Shield. I'm sort of leaning away from SW just because of what I own. I want to expand my brands which is mostly Ruger/SW and older stuff.

Circling back to the Sig, I don't know much about deep carry and 1911's so I need to do some reading to see if it would be a good fit.

Thanks for the suggestions.
The p238 is SAO btw. From what I've been able to read online, it looks like the average civilian gun use results in about 3 shots fired. The p238 holds 7rds, but you can get a magazine with 8.

The Lucky Gunner website has a good page with ballistics results for 38spl, 380, 9, 40, 10, and 45 JHP brands. Paul Harrell does the most realistic ballistics tests I've seen.

Based on the most realistic likelihood of needing to use a gun in public, measured against features (concealability and effectiveness) that would make program compliance (actually carrying) likely, I think the P238 would work best for me.

strega

Post by strega » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:18 am

aurelius wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:48 am I have yet to shoot a 9mm concealed carry that was pleasant to shoot.
If you get a chance to shoot a Walther CCP. Not shot one myself but seems to be a very innovative design. Where the video starts around 5:48 he’s about to talk about the “piston” that provides a soft-recoil. Other reviews and video, they seem to love the feel of it. I don't recall but I think he was so-so on it, but the old man is Glock guy so whatever. The piston seems like a great idea, too bad it’s plagued with problems.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:19 am

KOTJ wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:03 amBased on the most realistic likelihood of needing to use a gun in public, measured against features (concealability and effectiveness) that would make program compliance (actually carrying) likely, I think the P238 would work best for me.
I carried because I had to go out in the field in rural Oklahoma. After a few odd run ins and a US Marshall telling me I needed a gun...I carried the P238. Had a cool little OWB holster. Definitely recommend the 8 round mag (gave my pinky some place to go). I carried it cocked, locked, and ready to rock the way Browning intended. With thumb safety engaged.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:26 am

KOTJ wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:56 amHanley is just butthurt that his Coast Guard experience didn't make him Paul Harrell.
One of my countless bullshit collateral duties was Weapons Officer. It basically meant that I could blow off my CO an XO and hide at the range and have the Gunner's Mates run me through various pistol courses.

I'm butthurt that my shooting went to complete shit. I got the yips and starting pulling everything. Also, I'm strongly left-eye, right-hand dominant. Shooting that way worked okay...until it didn't. I've got to rebuild my technique.

edit: KOTBros can't CCW a Colt Commander 'cause gay urban clothes.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:39 am

Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:26 am
KOTJ wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:56 amHanley is just butthurt that his Coast Guard experience didn't make him Paul Harrell.
One of my countless bullshit collateral duties was Weapons Officer. It basically meant that I could blow off my CO an XO and hide at the range and have the Gunner's Mates run me through various pistol courses.

I'm butthurt that my shooting went to complete shit. I got the yips and starting pulling everything. Also, I'm strongly left-eye, right-hand dominant. Shooting that way worked okay...until it didn't. I've got to rebuild my technique.

edit: KOTBros can't CCW a Colt Commander 'casue gay urban clothes.
Such a yuppie. My urban clothes are to blend in with the locks populace. As a non-operator, you wouldn't understand.

You're just some 50 year old pervert cruising college classes for low end twinks. You couldn't top me if I was a dreidel during Hanukkah.

Watch Paul Harrell. I believe he was Army, Marine corps, and Coast Guard. Won a bunch of shooting stuff and.was an instructor. Also involved in civilian self defense shooting (found innocent).

strega

Post by strega » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:53 am

KOTJ wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:03 am
The p238 is SAO btw. From what I've been able to read online, it looks like the average civilian gun use results in about 3 shots fired. The p238 holds 7rds, but you can get a magazine with 8.
I had an instructor jokingly tell me that if you need more than 3 shots you are not practicing enough. Maybe it’s psychological nonsense on my part, but I’m a few miles from one of the most dangerous small cities in America. Per capita, we use to be #1 but we slacked off and dropped a spot or two. We still hold the #1 spot for teen shootings in at 3.4 per thousand, where Chicago is second at 1.8 per thousand (data for cities with populations larger than 50,000). So there is this irrational fear that some super bad guy is going to be put me in a situation where I need a lot of rounds. I’m guessing it would be more likely that in the heat of the moment I empty 12 rounds into someone and end up in a heap of trouble, so there is that too.

All of which is why I’m still in research mode.